Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It's not a secret facility by the smokes kiosk, but we're getting there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Chris is becoming a pretty relatable character.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

When Edo feels sorry for you, you know something's up.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sometimes you think someone's trying to say something with these chapters, and then there's most of the time.

Anyways if you think about it Sumio already knows not to worry about how many times you ride the bike, his second trip to the wheat was his third ride after all.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

It's relatively common for Japanese TV/radio schedules that run overnight to list 1am as 25:00 and 2am as 26:00 but it is still kind of funny to see every time.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Suda's made one chapter to make us pay for Sumio's vacation. He must think it wasn't enough.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I kind of felt bad for stealing Ken's bike the last time but I've changed my mind again after being reminded how long the walk up there (and back) would have been.

Yeah, unsurprisingly given the graphic they just entirely rewrote the mahjong puzzle and the 'royal flush' bit in translation.

On the other hand 'proceed to my left' seems to be correct, literally 'from where I'm looking, proceed left'. Possibly this is intentionally confusing because I think you could use a similar construction to mean 'in my opinion, proceed left'. In any case, the Japanese let's play I was watching went right first, so it's not meant to obviously be left (though, that person never tried going backwards, not that I can blame you).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lady Ritz? Must be FSR's competition.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The DS puzzles are becoming shitposts.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

It crossed my mind that maybe they made up some basic puzzles for the translation, like the mahjong one was altered, but although I couldn't find any actual footage of anyone playing the Japanese DS game (emulation let's plays seem very uncommon in Japan) I did find a page where someone listed the solutions and reasoning and they describe those ones as 'a simple calculation' so I presume they're actually untouched. Maybe they wanted to throw in some effectively free ones so people could still get at least one each day without having to think too much.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

With Edo's replacement it feels like we're back to the point where not only do I have no idea what's going on its not building to anything yet either.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Let's meet someone we know and gossip about another TSC character!

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Well, good to find out where he (somehow) got to. Not feeling entirely enlightened but it's progress.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

So, what the gently caress happened?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Since the game explains a version of what happened and doesn't involve the goings on of some half-dozen shadowy organizations I can say at least I understood things better than The Silver Case. Understanding why any of those things happened is another matter entirely.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I was not prepared for this explanation for the apparent time loop. But yeah, it's an explanation, can't complain too much.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Meet the new Ward, same as the old 24 Wards.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Well, at least they did include a fast-forward button for the text.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Mr. White and Ms. Black have a great night out.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Definitely feeling less clear about who the player character is in these (felt like we were the manager in that first section) but I should probably just let it happen and follow the people talking to each other. Even if sometimes the talk is clearly being directed at us.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It would be kind of funny if we were a property manager that was inexplicably being dragged around whatever is going on.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

A new secret shadowy puppetmaster organization enters the stage.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

This certainly explains a thing or two, and makes the Matchmaker crew even more petty.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So we've got militarized mail carriers and HOA assassins, maybe. I'd say I'm perhaps sensing a theme but let's be honest, no I'm not.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The 'points' being on an actual 1-minute timer is great for realism up until the point where the game has to say 'oh no, you're running out of points' regardless of how quickly you've been moving through the text. Wondering if it bothers cutting you off if you take up 10 minutes because it seems like you'd have to try pretty hard to do so. Also I checked a Japanese video and they also took around 10 minutes to get through the Miru section so I presume it's equally as non-obvious regardless of language.

But yeah, good to see placebo being being relatively straightforward and having things actually happen.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Welcome back to the Heinous Crimes Unit!
We get a protagonist for this storyline at last.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The slapstick squad is at it again, and they've brought some portable tech to help.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Will Placebo explain everything? Will it make everything more confusing? Does Tokio have a superpower?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I also don't consider mazes gameplay any more. Maybe that's the point, drat you Suda!

Also video 2-2 isn't available any more, no idea when that happened.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

After keeping the video in a limbo for a while, YouTube decided to "abandon processing" for the original upload.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Can love bloom on a battlefield?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Overall, the most by-the-numbers and predictable chapter so far?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I hope Osato turns out to be a magical girl.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

We've gone beyond intrigue, and into explicit edging.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

If you're Japanese you're probably expected to know the four cardinal direction beasts, which match the given order you put the keys in. I feel like the translation could have mentioned this, though I guess that would be hard to do non-awkwardly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Symbols

quote:

Its Japanese equivalent, in corresponding order: Seiryū (east), Suzaku (south), Byakko (west), Genbu (North).

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Some cases just make you question the fundamental workings of the setting.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

They're coming for Tokio! …as soon as they finish with this sweet sweet Mont Blanc flashback.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Just like an HOA to recruit snitches wherever they can :rolleyes:

And if Osato is now a cat girl I consider my magical girl guess half right!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

What is a world-ending crisis for Suda, is just a regular day on the internet for you and I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

You hack fraud. I know where you get your dramatic reveals!