Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This poll is legally binding: Where does Fedor rank?
Greatest of all time
Greatest heavyweight of all time
Best heavyweight of the 2000s, but that's it
Very good, but not the greatest at any point
Solely overrated
Poop from a butt
View Results

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Bluedeanie posted:

I unironically think Mir could have beaten Fedor. Like, not guaranteed to win by any means, but that's because of Mir, not Fedor.

mir would've crushed him from top position but i don't think he would've been able to get fedor to the ground and he would've folded up like an accordion to fedor's punches or ground and pound if he was on bottom. like yeah maybe mir lands a perfect left hook, because he was a pretty good boxer when he was in the zone. but let's not forget that this is frank mir, the truest embodiment of the MMA heavyweight sprint to surrender mentality ever to exist. maybe tied with overeem.

i think fedor was definitely the best heavyweight of the 2000's, if he would've come to the UFC after pride folded i think he would have cleaned up the bum rear end UFC heavyweights of that time, probably. maybe couture would've improbably beat him somehow.

though in some alternate timeline where he went to the ufc and beat couture and became champ, fedor would've 100% lost to lesnar imo and maybe carwin and maaaaaaybe overeem depending on how quickly they'd get into the clinch. fedor never fixed his weakness against positional control from big loving dudes and i think lesnar would've double legged and herring'd him, carwin might have turned him to mush against the cage ala mir, overeem could've kneed and tripped him from the clinch and then smashed him from top position but actually he'd probably get clipped at some point and get murdered while jogging in the opposite direction. cain and JDS would've both been too young, too fast, too tough, too athletic, etc. for him at the point where they challenged for the belts.

if he fought barnett in pride i think he would've lost that too. sergei probably would've been armbarred but it would have been a cool fight and he's also fuckin massive.

i've definitely softened on fedor over the years, since his annoying weebo fans aren't really around anymore and greatest heavyweight is one of the most Such Great Heights things ever. watching his old fights is a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

MassRafTer posted:

Carwin was undefeated in the 2000s while we all know Fedor rightfully lost to a light heavyweight during that period. The Engineer is clearly the best of the aughts.

Fedor was the best heavyweight from 2003-2009. It was a lot closer than the Fedor heads want you to believe, because while he was 2-0-0-1 vs Nog, that 1 was one where Nog was doing very well. Then when started losing he was "over the hill" despite being basically the same age as the guys he lost to.

the true mythical GOAT fighter is carwin but with a working back

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
the bruce lee one inch punch exists, but you have to throw it with no technique and be a 300lbs man with fists too big for the UFC gloves

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
these mentions of gonzaga reminded me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg0l0l9qYAM