Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This poll is legally binding: Where does Fedor rank?
Greatest of all time
Greatest heavyweight of all time
Best heavyweight of the 2000s, but that's it
Very good, but not the greatest at any point
Solely overrated
Poop from a butt
View Results

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fedor is a great example of two things:
1. You can only beat who is in front of you
2. To humans: The first one you liked is the best one of the type. Like a Final Fantasy game, generally speaking, the first you played is often the one you like best. This isn't a universal truth but it trends heavily this way. This changes the more of a fan and willing to inform yourself of history you become.

Fedor's opponents, barring a few, were journeymen in a fledgling sport. I consider his first loss legitimate. It wasn't an intentional elbow and these things happen and the tourney needed a winner. Better head movement would have dodged the strike fully.

Of the journeymen, he was one of a couple (Crocop, Arlovski too?) who had an good athlete's calibre and proper martial artist skills and not a big dude swinging leather.

It's not a coincidence that when the sport aged and people begun to get into it who could dedicate the time to become skilled, dedicated fighters, Fedor started losing and losing badly.

The concept of GOAT is stupid.
There are few fighters who are the GOATs who would be able to compete with the best of the next couple of generations, it's they way sport works. (GSP, Volk?)

Fedor might have been the best heavyweight on earth in his era, but his era was like 3 years of bums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Also the aspect of "I don't want to look dumb but people who I think know more than me about this say this so I better say it too *looks dumb for saying it to anyone who knows the subject*"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Any of the UFC HW champs from Cain onwards would 100% have destroyed Fedor with ease, and of course, one did.
Lesnar is a tougher pick for me because he wasn't a great puncher or great with his ground and pound, Carwin was absolute poo poo at ground and pound but if he landed clean, people died. Those two are closer fights.

Randy Couture was probably too small.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Carwin got super excited by dropping/getting on top of Lesnar that all his technique went out of the window and he gassed himself out.

I think if Carwin had kept calm and thought about it, Lesnar was going home on a stretcher