Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Hi AI,

Hopefully it's OK that this is a bit O/T; I'd consider it an occupational hazard of working with cars. A handful of enthusiasts I know offline have it.

I developed tinnitus three months ago while working in my garage at what I thought was a safe volume (I had a sinus infection and was under a lot of stress at the time, so I'm not 100% sure that was the cause). I'm guessing a fair share of AI has it as well. I'm wondering if y'all have found anything that has helped you through it other than white noise or time. Mine has been pretty life-changing and I'm trying to just ignore it and cope, but any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I'm lucky enough that I haven't developed it yet. For all the engines both big and small, motors gas, diesel, and electric, and percussive tool use plus concerts, I've only lost about 10% of my hearing. I'm religious about ear pro now, and bug everyone I can about it.

Best of luck.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I have moderate tinnitus and about 20% hearing loss, and I've had some form of tinnitus for most of my life (I remember first noticing it when I was around 10, I'm mid 40s now) - in my case, it sounds like an old CRT is screaming nearby (I can't even hear those frequencies anymore :argh:). It gets worse when I'm stressed, tired, sick, or even just thinking about it. I definitely made it much worse with concerts, raves, loud stereos, etc, and it's considerably worse in my right ear (I've popped that eardrum twice, but I've also had a few concussions).

You eventually get used to it, but I notice it a lot more unless there's some kind of white noise. Falling asleep for me is pretty difficult (between the ringing and ADD), but this helps a lot (there's a ton of them that are pretty much identical on Amazon - they all work about the same). I throw on a podcast or white noise, or sometimes a Sleepcore video. I'm ADD as hell on top of having tinnitus, so having something to listen to helps me a lot. I used to just fall asleep to the TV, but my SO is a light sleeper.

I haven't tried any medications, though I know there's some out there.

You can keep it from getting worse by wearing ear protection around loud noises (and you'd be surprised how little noise it takes to damage your hearing). It's worth going to an ENT doctor to see if there's some underlying cause that can be fixed, since it's such a recent development for you. If it's causing any nausea, you might look at getting an ondansetron (Zofran) rx for now - it's a powerful anti-nausea medication (there's also promethazine, aka Phenergan, but it's related to early antihistamines like Benadryl - it may make you drowsy). Or nature's remedy (:420:), but that's not a solution if you need to be productive.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Feb 18, 2023

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i have also had it for pretty much my whole life. i had a series of ear infections as a kid that had the doctors concerned at the time, so i bet that's what did it. i didn't realize for a long time that silence actually sounds like silence for some people!

mine's pretty minor, so i haven't tried to do anything with it. i only notice it in quiet situations. i am very careful with earpro, and have been for my whole life. i even wear earplugs on the freeway! there, now this post is AI related.

i am somewhat interested in seeing what this thread turns up, though. maybe there's some weird trick doctors hate???

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

It sucks.

I was young and dumb and had loud music all the time. Dozens of concerts right up against the speakers, all that stuff.

I've had moderate tinnitus for at least a decade. The white noise is a coping mechanism that I've used since it started, but I didn't realize it until maybe 3 or 4 years ago when my wife wanted no TV on, and I always had the TV on... when it is silent, there are times where the tinnitus will take over, but the background noise masks it.

I've gotten used to it, though. It's there, 100% of the time if I pay attention, but even right now, in a silent morning house, it's not bothersome, it's just something that's there.

Good luck in your process.

Like STR said -- hearing protection is still important. Now I'm doing a good bit of work in my garage shop and wearing hearing protection and safety glasses and masks/respirators. All of which were lacking in my previous work endeavors.

As my grandmother always told me, "we get too soon old undt too late schmart" -- old Pennsylvania Dutch saying that came from an older German saying. They knew what was up.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Feb 18, 2023

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
Between loud cars, power tools, and music (performing and spectating), I've had moderate tinnitus and hearing loss for a good 20+ years. Last time I had a hearing test they said my hearing loss was mainly in the frequency range of female voices, which I guess is ok because they never talk to me anyway :v:. It seems to get louder with higher stress levels. In a quiet enough environment it can be maddening.

Now I pop in earplugs if I'm so much as hammering a single nail. It's too late to regain anything, but at least I can keep it from getting much worse.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

JoshGuitar posted:

Last time I had a hearing test they said my hearing loss was mainly in the frequency range of female voices, which I guess is ok because they never talk to me anyway :v:.

Most people who experience hearing loss from sound exposure lose the ability to clearly make out human voices first. Voices in general sound pretty muffled to me.

I can hear bass really well (too well, really.. anytime a car with its stereo thumping goes by in the parking lot, I want to yell GET OFF MY LAWN). Treble I can still hear decent enough to enjoy music, though not the "mosquito/teenager repellent" frequencies much anymore. You naturally lose higher frequencies as you age, though my last hearing test showed I was still hearing them better than most people my age.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
cover your ears with your palms. rap on that area behind the bone behind your ear with your thumbs for like 15-20 seconds.

I've had tinnitus since a hosed up ear surgery at 12 and then being less than 6' from a semi tire explosion at 17ish.

I might be a little deaf.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah tinnitus crowd.
Just kidding, it’s not loving funny, and I wonder sometimes if this is what ends up making me check out.
https://www.rapidtables.com/tools/tone-generator.html
Now! you can experience my tinnitus for yourself. Set it to triangle wave 7266 hz very low volume.

I’ve had tinnitus for 20-22 years. Too much headphones at volume and then rock bands.
If you do loud things, protect yourself, by the time you know there a problem it way, way, way too late.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Mine is a little higher, right at about 8khz.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Irony is that I can only hear my tinnitus when I have my earplugs in.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I think I have very mild tinnitus at a pretty high frequency, but I do worry that I have some sort of hearing loss. I *really* struggle to hear what my wife says at times, funnily enough only with her. Maybe she's the only female that speaks to me. The funny thing is I can hear the moment there's water running or if my kid forgot to close the car window the last 5mm, things like that.

Haven't treated my ears super poo poo but they have seen a lot of construction, bit of firearms and some concerts. Oh yeah and illegal fireworks.

Now I'm super pedantic with ear pro and safety glasses.

Can anyone walk me through what happens at a hearing test? Have been meaning to get one for the longest time.

Edit:

I think I'm in the 13-14kHz range.

Also, above that I can't actually hear anything. But that's probably my headphones. Right?

Edit2: I can hear the 12kHz one just fine but the 15kHz one is dead silent to me: https://decibelhearing.com/hearing-loss-overview/high-frequency-hearing-loss/

bolind fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 20, 2023

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

I definitely have tinnitus. I think mostly from being a dumbass and not using ear pro when breaking out the impact wrench "because this will only take a second".

I don't think I have that much loss yet. I can hear all of the tones other than the 15kHz one.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yep have some tinnitus too but it's from being a dumbass too close to giant speakers.

I've smartened up and wear earpro now but it's still wild to see that almost nobody, including grown-rear end adults, does at live shows. Either everyone's ears are more resilient or just love temporary and permanent hearing loss.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

This might not be super useful for anyone where the damage is already done, but I've found this kind of ear plug to be amazing for garage purposes:

https://www.harborfreight.com/safety/hearing-protection/ear-plugs/reusable-silicone-earplugs-50-pack-58455.html

No they're not the highest DB reduction out there, but that's not the point. The best noise reduction in the world does nothing if you don't bother using it.

The key is these are super convinient. As soon as I walk out to the garage I throw on a set of safety glasses and put these plugs lightly and unsealed in my ears. Whenever I'm about to do anything even slightly loud, it only takes two seconds to push them in and get a reasonable amount of noise reduction. Once done I pull them out just enough to break the seal and leave them sitting in my ears.

All of this gets rid of the excuses I'd otherwise use to skip earpro or tell myself it's not that loud. I push them in for all kinds of things I otherwise wouldn't have thought of. Anything involving a hammer? Plugs in. Filing on something hollow? Plugs in. Air compressor kicks on? Plugs in.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

WTFBEES posted:

This might not be super useful for anyone where the damage is already done, but I've found this kind of ear plug to be amazing for garage purposes:

https://www.harborfreight.com/safety/hearing-protection/ear-plugs/reusable-silicone-earplugs-50-pack-58455.html

No they're not the highest DB reduction out there, but that's not the point. The best noise reduction in the world does nothing if you don't bother using it.

The key is these are super convinient. As soon as I walk out to the garage I throw on a set of safety glasses and put these plugs lightly and unsealed in my ears. Whenever I'm about to do anything even slightly loud, it only takes two seconds to push them in and get a reasonable amount of noise reduction. Once done I pull them out just enough to break the seal and leave them sitting in my ears.

All of this gets rid of the excuses I'd otherwise use to skip earpro or tell myself it's not that loud. I push them in for all kinds of things I otherwise wouldn't have thought of. Anything involving a hammer? Plugs in. Filing on something hollow? Plugs in. Air compressor kicks on? Plugs in.

yeah this is kind of crazy to me, because i go out of my way to use normal earplugs for all of these. i wince when someone across the shop at work activates a blowgun, even if they don't hit a bolt hole. idk how everyone else seems so blase about something that painful. like you seem to be implying you would be able to just work normally while hitting steel with a hammer??

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
I, too, have a preferred brand/model of earplugs, 3M Skull Screws (corded). You can put them in without having to roll/squish them first, which is great when your hands are dirty. Corded is nice because you can always have a pair hanging from your hard hat. That's not as useful in the garage, but the cord still makes them easier to keep track of. I need to figure out a way to make them drop-proof when I'm not wearing a hard hat. Maybe a safety pin on the back of my collar or something...although I'm unlikely to bother pinning on my earplugs every time I go out to the garage.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Raluek posted:

yeah this is kind of crazy to me, because i go out of my way to use normal earplugs for all of these. i wince when someone across the shop at work activates a blowgun, even if they don't hit a bolt hole. idk how everyone else seems so blase about something that painful. like you seem to be implying you would be able to just work normally while hitting steel with a hammer??

Maybe my examples aren't the best. If I were planning to sit and pound something into shape, yes that would always be earpro time.

Where I find it makes a difference is the "real quick" stuff. The times where you're already under something and don't want to crawl back out to grab some muffs. Or when you just need to fire up the angle grinder for one quick cut. Anything where it would take longer to grab ear pro than the time you'll actually be using it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Harborfreight doesn't work for us dirty foreigners so I don't see what exactly was linked, but I've been using Etymotic 3-flange plug like these for years:

https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Res...ps%2C195&sr=8-9

They can be reused pretty much indefinitely as long as you clean them off after use. There's an optional cord so I just take theme out and let them hang around my neck when not needed.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I still have a pocket full of disposable Honeywell Laser Lite earplugs from when I worked at Tesla. Weirdly I was the only one in my shop who ever wore them, but between those and sunglasses (over regular safety glasses), they were a life saver when I had a migraine.

Rated 32 NRR/35 SNR.

They also had those silicone ones (disposable version), but those 3 flange ones are really uncomfortable for me. My earholes are kinda small tho.

bolind posted:

Can anyone walk me through what happens at a hearing test? Have been meaning to get one for the longest time.

FWIW, I didn't go to an actual ENT doctor or audiologist - I went to the hearing aid center at Costco (where someone licensed to prescribe hearing aids will do the tests) - mainly bc free for members, but it should be pretty similar.

You either go into a soundproof booth and they stick some special earphones in your earholes, or you put on some extremely muffled headphones. In either case, the person doing the test will talk to you through them. They hand you a button. For those with tinnitus, they may use a different kind of test pattern that can break through the tinnitus better (they used warbling with me - kinda sounded like Pac Man), so disclose that you have tinnitus up front.

Basically, they run you through a series of patterns and frequencies, you click the button when you hear something. Takes an hour or so for a comprehensive test. Your tinnitus will be screaming from the absolute silence - I'm used to mine, and knew it would flare up, but it's something to be aware of.

They might let you try on a pair or two. They said my hearing wasn't at the point where I really needed fancy ones yet (they suggested OTC hearing aids, which they don't sell), but still let me test a pair, and as soon as she turned them on, my jaw dropped. Everything that's been muffled for 15+ years was crystal clear.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 20, 2023

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
hearing test scheduled for 23rd, will have some numbers to look at I guess.
It does not appear there is any remedy for tinnitus.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

some_admin posted:

hearing test scheduled for 23rd, will have some numbers to look at I guess.
It does not appear there is any remedy for tinnitus.

CEO of Texas Roadhouse found a remedy. :rip:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

OOF.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I'll look into that.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Looking back, I'd say it is entirely possible that Covid (disease, vaccines, stress, all of it, has hastened my tinnitus progress).

Counterpoint

Music picked up since Covid Spring, been gigging a bunch and rehearsing a bunch. I use ear protection but still.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Tinnitus Crew! We need a gangtag, just a little gif scrolling "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Here are a bunch of observations and things that work for me:

Learn the triggers that bring on bad bouts of tinnitus. Mine are alcohol (3+ drinks), prolonged loud noise especially from wind (motorcycle riding at high speed), prolonged white noise with no earpro (driving on the interstate, running water like in an aquaculture facility), sinus headaches, driving at night, and other stuff that promotes general head/neck/eye tension.

Experiment with earplugs for all situations, just go nuts. Use them all the time, because tinnitus absolutely can get worse.
I've finally settled on disposable foamies (3M, Howard Leight) with 32-33 NRR for loud, acute stuff like shooting, power tools, motorcycle riding, loud concerts. I have a couple pairs of Etymotic ER20X for loud social situations (bars, professional socials, movies, quieter concerts). These are pretty huge for me, as they knock down the background babble that makes understanding people speaking difficult, and helps ease social anxiety coming from hearing loss. Shooting anything bigger than a .22LR now gets both foamies and good earmuffs.

Watch the volume on your earbuds, keep it low and sacrifice any ideas about preserving sound quality for music through them. More than a couple hours with mine in, regardless of the volume, and my eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee goes nuts.

Keep your ears covered when it's windy.

Weed helps me deal with acute bouts, especially if I'm trying to fall asleep. My dr said we could go down the road of antidepressants or benzos if it really started to affect my wellbeing, but I'm trying to avoid that.

Getting somewhere dark and quiet, but not silent helps.

White noise at night.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Tinnitus & hearing loss, I am surprised how strongly seeing this information in a graph is affecting me.
drat.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
huh?

I know hearing loss coming for me, and I truly feel like my hearing is already compromised. Talking to someone in a large crowd is hell, at parties or gatherings I'm basically useless to talk to. My day to day is ok, but I do miss stuff more frequently than I'd like.

Also about 8 years ago I got violently sick while working at the super bowl, this was pre - covid times but at the time SARS 1 (the journey begins) had just surfaced. I reported to the NFL doctors who ran some pretty intense tests on me, then quickly quarantined me to my hotel room and revoked my passes that would potentially allow me to get near any of the players. Their tests were inconclusive they just said "its a really bad flu, but your negative for the flu so just chill the f out" it was so bad at one point I called my mom and wife (then just girlfriend) to say goodbye - The docs would tend to me daily, they would come in to my room fully suited, and they'd tape my door shut after leaving. All my food was room service, they'd leave it on a cart outside the door, I'd break the seal to go out and get it, then I'd call them to come back up and tape my door shut again. I started to feel like I was going to pull thru about 4 days in, at day 6 they relaxed a bit and let me come and go but it took me about a week and a half (of a 3 week stay) to get greenlit to go back to work. Safe to say its the sickest I've ever been - Pretty scary! - I recount this story because since then my sinuses and ears have been really susceptible to infection typically 3-4x a year - These past few years have been exceptionally brutal on my sinuses/ears because of how dry its been.

When I was young I did catch wise to protecting my hearing, I was at a punk show in high school and when I got my rear end kicked in the pit, I kinda popped out near one of the speakers, the band cranked it up and I literally thought my ear drums were going to rupture, maybe they did, the sound hit me so hard I felt like i was going to barf and I got super disoriented. After that I was a bitch and wore ear plugs any time I went to a show that could potentially put me in striking range of a loud speaker, or any super loud stuff for that matter, I keep a pair in my car for just such a reason - I caught flak for it, but whatever, the first time was so unpleasant, i learned a lesson quick about that, same goes for drag racing.

I've also had a few automotive issues as well, I had a muffler explode on me while trying to time a car in - cranking and cranking, nothing, messing with stuff then *pop.... white noise - there were 3 of us in the garage when it happened and it was deafening, all three of us were deaf and disoriented for about 5 minutes - it was my model a, and those mufflers are about 4' long cone shaped pipes, it ripped a 6" x 4" hole in it, it also left a scorch mark on the body of the car and ground underneath it. This caused a temporary tinnitus for about 2-3 weeks following that.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I've had it about 45-years. Had a firework go off next to me when I wasn't expecting it.

As others have related, then the litany of loud music, tools, cars, concerts etc over the 70s and 80s took their toll.

I have bilateral tinnitus with at least four different frequencies going at all times & hours. Use white noise at night otherwise I just try to ignore it & am mostly successful. Hasn't really impacted me in any significant psychological way, though my wife & I are both going deaf. I may try hearing aids but am skeptical that they'll do more than amplify & that is really the last things my ears need.

I'm playing with this noise generator, and I've noticed that the ability to hear certain frequencies disappears, and I wonder if those dead spots coincide with my tinnitus.

I can hear up to 8300

OK I had to stop because it's freaking out my cats.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I’ve had tinnitus since childhood. Recently talked with my ENT about it; They ran some tests and I’m hosed, nothing they can do about it. I asked if there ever was much that could be done and they said “no”. Kinda miffed about buying the visits and the tests.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Better than them stringing you along and saying "oh yeah, we could probably do something, buuuuut it's experimental"

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

PainterofCrap posted:

I may try hearing aids but am skeptical that they'll do more than amplify & that is really the last things my ears need.

Modern (quality) hearing aids are loving marvels of technology, though. Maybe give it a go.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I rarely go outside my bookmarks and found this thread, so why not bump it up after a couple months of inactivity. :v:

I have Meniere's disease so hearing (and balance portion of my right ear) are hosed. I had tinnitus before (concerts most likely) being diagnosed with this but it was pretty minor. I couldn't really talk on the phone with it to my right ear, but otherwise it was ok. Now after Meniere's, I can't really hear people speaking very well out of my right ear at all and always try to position myself to the right of people. Luckily my other ear is pretty good. It had gotten worse very rapidly (probably 1-2 year span) but has stayed steady for a year or two now. I've gotten used to it and actually sleep better with my bad ear "up" sleeping on my side. It's my own white noise generator. :v: I'm very careful now with ear protection while mowing or doing garage things. Same for at work but it's usually caveman style with hands over my ears since I'm not in the shop areas as much.

It sucks, but you get used to it. I feel like getting older you just have to mourn and adjust to the things you lost or can't do anymore. It's hard coming to terms with these things no matter how many times they've come up. Livin' ain't easy.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So, I’ve had a second hearing test, with identical results. Contrast MRI, nothing unusual revealed.

Since February, I’ve experienced having to leave a bunch of situations that were uncomfortable for my hearing, including the trampoline park (I was wearing muffs!), a going away party, indoor pool, elementary school science fair, convention karaoke party.
I quit the band a couple weeks ago, it was just too painful.

Spouse complained about my detachment and lack of input, lack of energy, and it opened up a conversation between us which is good. I’m depressed, emotional, a little manic, much more focused/busy than I used to be (flight response to the noise, I think?) and because focusing on something takes it away. Patience is way down or way up depending on situation.
Going in for physical next week so I’ll see about some counseling because honestly the only thing that is helping is staying busy.

I measured it and it’s about 72-82 db apparent to me (measured using iPad to play sound and iPhone held at right ear so I can measure vs the left ear it lives in).

I’m not the person I was 6 months ago, this sucks. I balance this with “other people have REAL problems” , but I think I am going to be mourning my former life and adjusting to the “new normal” forever. Lots of empathy for anyone with invisible symptoms rn. The only shred of silver lining here is that tinnitus has really put my physical issues into the background, so yeah, too beat by tinnitus to notice my knees and thigh pain, this is great huh?

Livin ain’t easy, no doubt.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

some_admin posted:

Sorry to hear about this. Therapy is probably a good idea, especially if it's causing real problems at home. Maybe couples counseling would help?

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

sharkytm posted:

Sorry to hear about this. Therapy is probably a good idea, especially if it's causing real problems at home. Maybe couples counseling would help?

Yes, we are probably headed to couples counseling. Fingers crossed until that’s all lined up! I think maybe she’s even relieved that there is a cause and not just “we’ve been married a long time and idgaf”. Also maybe a little of that. As a treat.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

some_admin posted:

Yes, we are probably headed to couples counseling. Fingers crossed until that’s all lined up! I think maybe she’s even relieved that there is a cause and not just “we’ve been married a long time and idgaf”. Also maybe a little of that. As a treat.

:buddy: glad to hear it. Lots of people let stuff go for too long and even counseling can't reverse it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

some_admin posted:

I empathize and it sounds like you're doing the right things. GL with everything. I will try to find my hearing test results and post them. They've declined (over like a 4 year period of this) and it sucks but that's life sometimes.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

some_admin posted:

So, I’ve had a second hearing test, with identical results. Contrast MRI, nothing unusual revealed.

Since February, I’ve experienced having to leave a bunch of situations that were uncomfortable for my hearing, including the trampoline park (I was wearing muffs!), a going away party, indoor pool, elementary school science fair, convention karaoke party.
I quit the band a couple weeks ago, it was just too painful.

Spouse complained about my detachment and lack of input, lack of energy, and it opened up a conversation between us which is good. I’m depressed, emotional, a little manic, much more focused/busy than I used to be (flight response to the noise, I think?) and because focusing on something takes it away. Patience is way down or way up depending on situation.
Going in for physical next week so I’ll see about some counseling because honestly the only thing that is helping is staying busy.

I measured it and it’s about 72-82 db apparent to me (measured using iPad to play sound and iPhone held at right ear so I can measure vs the left ear it lives in).

I’m not the person I was 6 months ago, this sucks. I balance this with “other people have REAL problems” , but I think I am going to be mourning my former life and adjusting to the “new normal” forever. Lots of empathy for anyone with invisible symptoms rn. The only shred of silver lining here is that tinnitus has really put my physical issues into the background, so yeah, too beat by tinnitus to notice my knees and thigh pain, this is great huh?

Jesus, you're the tinnitus case that Dr's prescribe antidepressants for, huh? That sucks, I'm really sorry about it. I hope you get some relief and that relationships are repaired fast. My tinnitus and hearing problems have definitely affected mine at times. For instance, right now I'm hiding out in the house rather than hanging out with my wife and neighbors because I can't handle the kids screaming and I'm probably going to have to make up for it. I hope solutions come quickly, that's a tough way to live.

Also, comparative suffering helps nobody. Your problems are real and legitimate, it doesn't matter if someone else's struggle may be more difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So 5 more weeks into “ur journey with tinnitus”:
OP mentioned smoke particles being a trigger and I thought that was strange.

I went camping this weekend and uh, hot drat, maybe smoke particles do exacerbate tinnitus. Also, probably sleeping poorly on sleeping pad in 40 degree weather, bad diet, not bathing, stress of loading/setting camp.

Counterpoint:Camping was great fun with good friends (7 years running!) and trees are a good for your soul. Watching our kids play and one them catch his first fish was super awesome.

I’ve had two therapy sessions now, and I think it’s working out great. I did some therapy a long time ago when I got divorced , so this was not unfamiliar to me. I’ve got referrals to 4 couples therapists, I just have to pick one out.

We also went to an annual 3 day event for families with a particular interest (i can’t identify it further, sorry), it went very very well (75-80 similar families) and being open and engaging and forcing myself out of my shell was a liberating experience as it always is. I volunteered to run the sound at next years event because this year it was needlessly loud in a very reflective space.

Staying busy is definitely a key, being emphatic with my speech and emphatic with my listening is helping with communications.
Going to make an appt for hearing aid probably, I think 30-40% of my conversations with my wife now include “what?” at some point.
I realized that doomscrolling was not helping my attitude, so I’m not reading the biosphere collapse, trump, Ukraine war, BWM, or anything much lately. Helps. Also, when driving I quit listening to the news. Just classical music now, Disney music when kid in the car.

Thanks all of you for reading and commenting .