Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah tinnitus crowd.
Just kidding, it’s not loving funny, and I wonder sometimes if this is what ends up making me check out.
https://www.rapidtables.com/tools/tone-generator.html
Now! you can experience my tinnitus for yourself. Set it to triangle wave 7266 hz very low volume.

I’ve had tinnitus for 20-22 years. Too much headphones at volume and then rock bands.
If you do loud things, protect yourself, by the time you know there a problem it way, way, way too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
hearing test scheduled for 23rd, will have some numbers to look at I guess.
It does not appear there is any remedy for tinnitus.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I'll look into that.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Looking back, I'd say it is entirely possible that Covid (disease, vaccines, stress, all of it, has hastened my tinnitus progress).

Counterpoint

Music picked up since Covid Spring, been gigging a bunch and rehearsing a bunch. I use ear protection but still.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Tinnitus & hearing loss, I am surprised how strongly seeing this information in a graph is affecting me.
drat.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So, I’ve had a second hearing test, with identical results. Contrast MRI, nothing unusual revealed.

Since February, I’ve experienced having to leave a bunch of situations that were uncomfortable for my hearing, including the trampoline park (I was wearing muffs!), a going away party, indoor pool, elementary school science fair, convention karaoke party.
I quit the band a couple weeks ago, it was just too painful.

Spouse complained about my detachment and lack of input, lack of energy, and it opened up a conversation between us which is good. I’m depressed, emotional, a little manic, much more focused/busy than I used to be (flight response to the noise, I think?) and because focusing on something takes it away. Patience is way down or way up depending on situation.
Going in for physical next week so I’ll see about some counseling because honestly the only thing that is helping is staying busy.

I measured it and it’s about 72-82 db apparent to me (measured using iPad to play sound and iPhone held at right ear so I can measure vs the left ear it lives in).

I’m not the person I was 6 months ago, this sucks. I balance this with “other people have REAL problems” , but I think I am going to be mourning my former life and adjusting to the “new normal” forever. Lots of empathy for anyone with invisible symptoms rn. The only shred of silver lining here is that tinnitus has really put my physical issues into the background, so yeah, too beat by tinnitus to notice my knees and thigh pain, this is great huh?

Livin ain’t easy, no doubt.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

sharkytm posted:

Sorry to hear about this. Therapy is probably a good idea, especially if it's causing real problems at home. Maybe couples counseling would help?

Yes, we are probably headed to couples counseling. Fingers crossed until that’s all lined up! I think maybe she’s even relieved that there is a cause and not just “we’ve been married a long time and idgaf”. Also maybe a little of that. As a treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So 5 more weeks into “ur journey with tinnitus”:
OP mentioned smoke particles being a trigger and I thought that was strange.

I went camping this weekend and uh, hot drat, maybe smoke particles do exacerbate tinnitus. Also, probably sleeping poorly on sleeping pad in 40 degree weather, bad diet, not bathing, stress of loading/setting camp.

Counterpoint:Camping was great fun with good friends (7 years running!) and trees are a good for your soul. Watching our kids play and one them catch his first fish was super awesome.

I’ve had two therapy sessions now, and I think it’s working out great. I did some therapy a long time ago when I got divorced , so this was not unfamiliar to me. I’ve got referrals to 4 couples therapists, I just have to pick one out.

We also went to an annual 3 day event for families with a particular interest (i can’t identify it further, sorry), it went very very well (75-80 similar families) and being open and engaging and forcing myself out of my shell was a liberating experience as it always is. I volunteered to run the sound at next years event because this year it was needlessly loud in a very reflective space.

Staying busy is definitely a key, being emphatic with my speech and emphatic with my listening is helping with communications.
Going to make an appt for hearing aid probably, I think 30-40% of my conversations with my wife now include “what?” at some point.
I realized that doomscrolling was not helping my attitude, so I’m not reading the biosphere collapse, trump, Ukraine war, BWM, or anything much lately. Helps. Also, when driving I quit listening to the news. Just classical music now, Disney music when kid in the car.

Thanks all of you for reading and commenting .