Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

This might not be super useful for anyone where the damage is already done, but I've found this kind of ear plug to be amazing for garage purposes:

https://www.harborfreight.com/safety/hearing-protection/ear-plugs/reusable-silicone-earplugs-50-pack-58455.html

No they're not the highest DB reduction out there, but that's not the point. The best noise reduction in the world does nothing if you don't bother using it.

The key is these are super convinient. As soon as I walk out to the garage I throw on a set of safety glasses and put these plugs lightly and unsealed in my ears. Whenever I'm about to do anything even slightly loud, it only takes two seconds to push them in and get a reasonable amount of noise reduction. Once done I pull them out just enough to break the seal and leave them sitting in my ears.

All of this gets rid of the excuses I'd otherwise use to skip earpro or tell myself it's not that loud. I push them in for all kinds of things I otherwise wouldn't have thought of. Anything involving a hammer? Plugs in. Filing on something hollow? Plugs in. Air compressor kicks on? Plugs in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Raluek posted:

yeah this is kind of crazy to me, because i go out of my way to use normal earplugs for all of these. i wince when someone across the shop at work activates a blowgun, even if they don't hit a bolt hole. idk how everyone else seems so blase about something that painful. like you seem to be implying you would be able to just work normally while hitting steel with a hammer??

Maybe my examples aren't the best. If I were planning to sit and pound something into shape, yes that would always be earpro time.

Where I find it makes a difference is the "real quick" stuff. The times where you're already under something and don't want to crawl back out to grab some muffs. Or when you just need to fire up the angle grinder for one quick cut. Anything where it would take longer to grab ear pro than the time you'll actually be using it.