Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I have moderate tinnitus and about 20% hearing loss, and I've had some form of tinnitus for most of my life (I remember first noticing it when I was around 10, I'm mid 40s now) - in my case, it sounds like an old CRT is screaming nearby (I can't even hear those frequencies anymore :argh:). It gets worse when I'm stressed, tired, sick, or even just thinking about it. I definitely made it much worse with concerts, raves, loud stereos, etc, and it's considerably worse in my right ear (I've popped that eardrum twice, but I've also had a few concussions).

You eventually get used to it, but I notice it a lot more unless there's some kind of white noise. Falling asleep for me is pretty difficult (between the ringing and ADD), but this helps a lot (there's a ton of them that are pretty much identical on Amazon - they all work about the same). I throw on a podcast or white noise, or sometimes a Sleepcore video. I'm ADD as hell on top of having tinnitus, so having something to listen to helps me a lot. I used to just fall asleep to the TV, but my SO is a light sleeper.

I haven't tried any medications, though I know there's some out there.

You can keep it from getting worse by wearing ear protection around loud noises (and you'd be surprised how little noise it takes to damage your hearing). It's worth going to an ENT doctor to see if there's some underlying cause that can be fixed, since it's such a recent development for you. If it's causing any nausea, you might look at getting an ondansetron (Zofran) rx for now - it's a powerful anti-nausea medication (there's also promethazine, aka Phenergan, but it's related to early antihistamines like Benadryl - it may make you drowsy). Or nature's remedy (:420:), but that's not a solution if you need to be productive.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Feb 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

JoshGuitar posted:

Last time I had a hearing test they said my hearing loss was mainly in the frequency range of female voices, which I guess is ok because they never talk to me anyway :v:.

Most people who experience hearing loss from sound exposure lose the ability to clearly make out human voices first. Voices in general sound pretty muffled to me.

I can hear bass really well (too well, really.. anytime a car with its stereo thumping goes by in the parking lot, I want to yell GET OFF MY LAWN). Treble I can still hear decent enough to enjoy music, though not the "mosquito/teenager repellent" frequencies much anymore. You naturally lose higher frequencies as you age, though my last hearing test showed I was still hearing them better than most people my age.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I still have a pocket full of disposable Honeywell Laser Lite earplugs from when I worked at Tesla. Weirdly I was the only one in my shop who ever wore them, but between those and sunglasses (over regular safety glasses), they were a life saver when I had a migraine.

Rated 32 NRR/35 SNR.

They also had those silicone ones (disposable version), but those 3 flange ones are really uncomfortable for me. My earholes are kinda small tho.

bolind posted:

Can anyone walk me through what happens at a hearing test? Have been meaning to get one for the longest time.

FWIW, I didn't go to an actual ENT doctor or audiologist - I went to the hearing aid center at Costco (where someone licensed to prescribe hearing aids will do the tests) - mainly bc free for members, but it should be pretty similar.

You either go into a soundproof booth and they stick some special earphones in your earholes, or you put on some extremely muffled headphones. In either case, the person doing the test will talk to you through them. They hand you a button. For those with tinnitus, they may use a different kind of test pattern that can break through the tinnitus better (they used warbling with me - kinda sounded like Pac Man), so disclose that you have tinnitus up front.

Basically, they run you through a series of patterns and frequencies, you click the button when you hear something. Takes an hour or so for a comprehensive test. Your tinnitus will be screaming from the absolute silence - I'm used to mine, and knew it would flare up, but it's something to be aware of.

They might let you try on a pair or two. They said my hearing wasn't at the point where I really needed fancy ones yet (they suggested OTC hearing aids, which they don't sell), but still let me test a pair, and as soon as she turned them on, my jaw dropped. Everything that's been muffled for 15+ years was crystal clear.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 20, 2023

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

OOF.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Better than them stringing you along and saying "oh yeah, we could probably do something, buuuuut it's experimental"