Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i do think olives have an issue in that they can easily overwhelm other ingredients when used in certain dishes, but i like them on pizza sometimes, especially combined with peppers. olive bread can be great too.

however they are definitely at their best just on their own

my father in law has a couple of large olive trees and has been curing his own olives for the last few years, they are mild and really nice. i have a tree myself but it lives in a pot and is very young, i have no idea if or when it will ever produce.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

they do indeed have a powerful flavour which is why lesser palates cannot handle them

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Drown me in olives and do not resuscitate.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
You know the big fat green ones? Usually stuffed w pimentos? Take those out. They're fine, but take them OUT.

Stuff some bleu cheese in them instead and then thank me for the journey you'll go on.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

im not a fan of them OP

should have had a poll tho so the best i can vote this thread is a three (3). i'm sorry.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

You know the big fat green ones? Usually stuffed w pimentos? Take those out. They're fine, but take them OUT.

Stuff some bleu cheese in them instead and then thank me for the journey you'll go on.

You can buy them without the pimentos. You can buy them pre-stuffed with bleu cheese.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

best thing to stuff olives with is pickled garlic imo

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Not a big fan of black or Kalamata olives but I’ll destroy almost any variety of green olives. Love those big ol’ Queen olives stuffed with garlic or jalaps or even BOTH :yum:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Devils Affricate posted:

Olives are really good, and people who don't like them are stupid

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
There is this place in Corning called the olive pit and they have all kinds of olives you can buy they are really good you should stop there if you are ever passing through Corning and buy some olives

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
I love gagantes or queen olives, especially with the stone still in. Like chowing down on a salty, savoury date or plum.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Been eating a lot of these lately:

Highly recommend. They aren’t boozy, just got a little vermouth flavor to em. If you find typical brined olives too salty give these a try.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Kalamata supremacy

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Black olives good, kalamata olives are rear end. Feel free to close the thread now 😎👍

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I like Katamala olives. So salty and tasty

naem
May 29, 2011

olives, onions, celery = tuna

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

They are good op

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

naem posted:

olives, onions, celery = tuna

:confused:

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Jar of jalapeno stuffed olives is an A+ snack

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Lucky Guy posted:

in any quantity except for three, yes

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

olives are near the top of my fave food lists

sitting down with some oily, salty-rear end olives and just destroying them orally is one of lifes great pleasures

SmallFormatBlues
Aug 12, 2022

They’re great anyway but especially this way

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Olives are incredibly awesome OP. I pity those who are unable to find love in their heart for them.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

a food that has sustained humans for thousands of years, yes they're good op

you don't have to like 'em, but you gotta respect 'em

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
Do you know why they are called olives. Because olive them ("I love them")

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
But jokes aside, olives are great. Kalamata are my favorite, but any olive is good

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

question for the olive haters, do you like olive oil?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bad Purchase posted:

question for the olive haters, do you like olive oil?

the product or the cartoon character?
I love them both!

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

the product or the cartoon character?
I love them both!

You're not an olive hater though, that question wasn't for you

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Devils Affricate posted:

You're not an olive hater though, that question wasn't for you

ok

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Anything but the metallic black olives are good. Tapenade is ok but what do you put it on? But the real money is in capers. Bagel with herb/veg cream cheese, tomato, and capers. Salt and pepper on the tomato. Sprinkle on a little za'atar.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Olives and their oil may play a role in preventing dementia and alzheimers. The Mediterranean diet is linked to tremendous health benefits so pass the olives, pasta, and red wine please.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Tapenade is ok but what do you put it on?

Fancy crackers, bruschetta?

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

olives have a variety of texture and flavor depending on what type they are and how they are prepared. it's impossible to truthfully make a sweeping statement about them in general. they are as varied as the winds

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

clammy posted:

olives have a variety of texture and flavor depending on what type they are and how they are prepared. it's impossible to truthfully make a sweeping statement about them in general. they are as varied as the winds

In my experience they usually taste like olives

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

Olives are fine they are just an acquired taste, like beer or fermented human poo poo. I love em

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Smugworth posted:

In my experience they usually taste like olives

:hai:

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Anything but the metallic black olives are good. Tapenade is ok but what do you put it on? But the real money is in capers. Bagel with herb/veg cream cheese, tomato, and capers. Salt and pepper on the tomato. Sprinkle on a little za'atar.

Those terrible black olives are actually treated with lye and are thus not representative

Kalmatas another naturally ripened olives tend more to the maroon/purple side of things and are delicious

Have got ever had the giant capers? They're like olive sized and amazing. My local wine place has em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Anything but the metallic black olives are good. Tapenade is ok but what do you put it on?

Crackers, bread, straight up shovel it into your mouth.