Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Why don't they stuff kalamatas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

covidstomper58 posted:

Once upon a time, I was smitten with this lady, we sat at her rarely used kitchen table and ate garlic stuffed olives out of the jar with a fork we shared.

I've bought many jars of garlic stuffed olives from different brands and they have all seemed vile, greasy or just bland.

Now I'm wondering if I even like garlic stuffed olives.

One time I made a pizza but I didn't have any fresh garlic on hand so I just pulled the cloves out of some olives, it was alright.

not sure if andy rooney or raymond carver...

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

"No."

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

don't believe their lies.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've been eating little rollies: street taco sized tortillas wrapped around oil cured olives. Nothing else. Tortillas and olives and that's it. They are good.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've been eating little rollies: street taco sized tortillas wrapped around oil cured olives. Nothing else. Tortillas and olives and that's it. They are good.

I want to vomit

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Olives are great

No comment

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I ask you: how is that different from putting an olive on a cracker?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'm mixed, very often i find them unpleasantly briny and okay at best, but recently i had a skewer from a stall with a grilled oyster and an olive and it was absolutely delicious. maybe i just don't tend to try the right olives

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Olives are vile and I'm sick of pretending it's ok for people to like them. It's not. It's like saying you like the taste of evil, or whiskey. You're either lying or a very sick person. It is a universal axiom and divinely ordained truth that it is morally wrong to enjoy olives because I don't like them. I don't like olive oil either, it tastes like nothing and makes for the world's blandest grilled cheese sandwiches, but I don't harbor any intense, irrational ill-will towards the oil like I do the devil-spawned fruits. In conclusion, it's ok to like olives, everyone is different.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
im not a picky eater whatsoever....its literally just down to olives

check that. also figs.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

big olives big life

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Why would you make a grilled cheese with olive oil

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

hey i really like olives

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I think it's valid if you're doing something fancy, and you know what you're trying to achieve by using it instead of butter.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i'm mixed, very often i find them unpleasantly briny and okay at best, but recently i had a skewer from a stall with a grilled oyster and an olive and it was absolutely delicious. maybe i just don't tend to try the right olives
Rinsing jarred olives helps, or even soaking them. I almost always give them a quick cold rinse. A warm soak for a few hours can really cut the salinity and bite.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

20 Blunts posted:

im not a picky eater whatsoever....its literally just down to olives

check that. also figs.

fresh figs are really very good

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

nice obelisk idiot posted:

Rinsing jarred olives helps, or even soaking them. I almost always give them a quick cold rinse. A warm soak for a few hours can really cut the salinity and bite.

:yikes:

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

I would not do the latter at all but I've heard about it. The very brief rinse thing is good though unless they're herbed/marinated/etc.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Cabrito

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Olives are so fuckin gross lmao

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

:argh:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

ben shapino posted:

Olives are so fuckin gross lmao

this person is correct

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

So many poo poo opinions in this thread. So I'll present a good one.

They should engineer jumbo olives so I can put them on my fingers again like I did when I was 4.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

I think that shaq might be able to put cerignolas on his fingers. and they're really good

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

nice obelisk idiot posted:

I think that shaq might be able to put cerignolas on his fingers. and they're really good

I'll be honest I've never seen these in my life, I'll try to find some. I guess I was thinking more black olives the size of a plum though, so these will have to do.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

never tried it but i bet it would be pretty good, you don't need high heat for a grilled cheese and it would impart a nice rich flavor to the bread

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

As a staunch pro olive poster I am here to break the bad news that olive oil is overrated especially for cooking.

I will not be taking further questions thank you

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Cpt_Obvious posted:

As a staunch pro olive poster I am here to break the bad news that olive oil is overrated especially for cooking.

Sad but true

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Bad Purchase posted:

never tried it but i bet it would be pretty good, you don't need high heat for a grilled cheese and it would impart a nice rich flavor to the bread

Maybe, depends on the type of cheese. Like with kraft singles that would be gross but maybe mozzarella?

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I'm an anti olive poster but yeah, made some asparagus in cheap canola oil last night and it tasted sooo much better than usual. Olive oil does have a lot of healthy stuff in it. I like it in dressings though.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Olive oil is so good you can get it foamed in your latte at Starbucks.

Every Oleato sold is a badge of olive excellence.

Every case of diarrhea from drinking an Oleato is a gift from the gods atop Mount Vesuvius.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Also sad but true

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I want a jar of those massive olives. Is that something available at my local supermarket or is it more of a specialty item?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

covidstomper58 posted:

Every case of diarrhea from drinking an Oleato is a gift from the gods atop Mount Vesuvius.

i saw a sign for that thing and was like wtf. coffee + olive oil is really gonna grease the wheels. you'll be lucky to make it home in time before it all goes ka-blooey.

i think i will just mail order some of the giant olives. i found these, look at these beautiful fuckers.

https://fortunasausage.com/red-bella-di-cerignola-olives/#product-reviews

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I want a jar of those massive olives. Is that something available at my local supermarket or is it more of a specialty item?

You gotta be really good to your olive guy

mystes
May 31, 2006

covidstomper58 posted:

Really a missed opportunity not to put Olean in it too

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i use olive oil to cook low heat stuff sometimes, it works fine, but it's not quite neutral so you have to want that flavor. i like using it for fried eggs, or garlic and onions.

but where olive oil is the undisputed champ for me is roasting veggies in the oven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Personally I don't think there's ever a point to heating extra virgin oil. It loses most of the good flavors and it can become bitter. If you want to cook with olive oil you might as well just use light olive oil.

If you want the extra virgin olive oil flavor just drizzle on a little bit after you're done cooking.