Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

PAPER!!!

PAPER!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Also, Fanshawe seems to be a complete rear end in a top hat, but that's about per course for an adventure protagonist.

Yeah, but occasionally adventure protagonists are charming.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

P. G. Wodehouse the writers of this game were not...

... although, to be frank, he was also quite goddamn guilty of being racist as the rest of them.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

The rest of the writers of his era or of this game?

If I wanted to be flippant I would say: 'Good point'

...but in truth, of the era. Though I don't think he was bad as Agatha Christie. He certainly wasn't as bad as Sax Rohmer, the man who has written the most racist screeds I have ever read, and I have read Gone with the Wind, Tarzan of the Apes and Mein Kampf.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I seem to remember hearing that Vic liked a laugh too, despite the typical representation of her otherwise. One reason for that is actually something that is not represented in this game - after her husband died, she pretty much only ever went around in mourning black clothing (so I have heard).

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm pretty sure the walking animation in the photographer's room was so slow was because it was specifically the walking animation for going up/down stairs.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Catching up, I do genuinely appreciate how the writers take the piss out of everything about Victorian England, including the nobles. There's absolutely zero nostalgia for the "good old days" or respect for the Empire in any way. Every bit of conversation with Mossop is also consistently entertaining.

...yeah, the game has grown on me a bit due to this. The fact that it threw us in the deep end to begin with was a bit... Much.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah, the solution for the flash powder is... I certainly wouldn't have gotten it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh yeah, the old adage about the moon being made of green cheese? The colour of green cheese IS approximately the colour of the moon. It's green in that it is immature cheese, see also greenhorn.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well, I'll say this much about the game - the Union Jack was ACCURATELY depicted, re. the very small red lines.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Isn't that how it's usually depicted?

I would say most representations of the flag don't have the correct orientation of small red lines on the X - this game does.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I wonder where that very distasteful stereotype of people being boiled up in a pot came from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well... It picked up a bit, but this game did suffer from the passage of time, and I don't just mean re. software limitations.

Nevertheless, thanks for the LP!