Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The name's
Bond
James
Bond
View Results

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Note that they never actually show or name Blofeld specifically since apparently they didn't have the rights to the character, making it extra lol.

I think they also did it to give a big middle finger to Kevin McClory who had the rights to the Blofeld character and SPECTRE... basically saying "We don't need Blofeld to make Bond work." And they were right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Speleothing posted:

The end of OHMSS was supposed to be the opening sequence for Diamonds (filmed when Diana Rigg was already on set for convenience), so the movie would have started with Theresa's sudden and shocking death. But Lazenby said he was leaving before the premier so they stuck it at the end of OHMSS instead and had to beg for Connery to come back for one more.

The reason modern Blofeld is related to Bond is because the idiot hacks who have been writing everything since Tomorrow Never Dies are talentless morons.

I was hoping they'd at least go full Solid Bond/Liquid Bond with it. Even if they kinda already did that with Skyfall.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Speleothing posted:

The reason modern Blofeld is related to Bond is because the idiot hacks who have been writing everything since Tomorrow Never Dies are talentless morons.

As I recall, that was directly the idea of John Logan, who wrote Skyfall before he wrote Spectre.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
daniel craig bond seems to constantly be getting in fights where he's grappling back and forth with a random henchman for several minutes. the guy really needs to learn some martial arts or something. i am forced to conclude that mark zuckerberg would kick his rear end

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

It’s kind of funny how reductive the movie bond gets, where he basically turns into an action movie star who just comes in guns blazing at every opportunity. I don’t think there’s really any movie in the last thirty years where they couldn’t have replaced Bond with a team of SpecOps guys and gotten better results

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

poisonpill posted:

It’s kind of funny how reductive the movie bond gets, where he basically turns into an action movie star who just comes in guns blazing at every opportunity. I don’t think there’s really any movie in the last thirty years where they couldn’t have replaced Bond with a team of SpecOps guys and gotten better results

A team of SpecOps guys who, in chorus, go "For England!" every so often and "Hut! Hut! Hut!" repeatedly when moving about.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Timby posted:

As I recall, that was directly the idea of John Logan, who wrote Skyfall before he wrote Spectre.

Both of which rank highly for worst Bond movie ever

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I liked Skyfall. Spectre was loving trash I'll agree.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Skyfall was such cliche tripe dogshit that I skipped Spectre until I picked up it and NTtD at the library for free

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Die Another Day is the worst movie and I don’t think anything else in the franchise is even close IMO.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
that second Craig one is way worse than DAD

i skipped Spectre though maybe that's worse too?

DAD has lots of good set pieces and scenes you just forget them all once the third act starts because it's such a steep slide downhill it's basically a freefall

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I thought the first half of Die Another Day was really good, then it completely fell apart in the second.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Air Skwirl posted:

I thought the first half of Die Another Day was really good, then it completely fell apart in the second.

I sort of agree, though that surfing on the wave thing at the very beginning is rough.

That said, I feel like some of y'all haven't watched the Roger Moore stuff in a while if you're declaring a Craig era one as the worst

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

That said, I feel like some of y'all haven't watched the Roger Moore stuff in a while if you're declaring a Craig era one as the worst

I feel like in Bond discussion it's not even worth mentioning Moore at all until someone tries to apologize for him as a Bond.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I'm not sure if the lower end Moore films are actually more incoherent than the lower end Craig films. Quantum and Spectre are bad for very different reasons than A View To A Kill and Octopussy.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Roger Moore Bonds are obviously the worst and it’s not even close.

Old man confusedly stumbles from hotel to hotel: The Movie

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

poisonpill posted:

Roger Moore Bonds are obviously the worst and it’s not even close.

Old man confusedly stumbles from hotel to hotel: The Movie

Moore “fighting” is just appalling, I genuinely wonder how that was seen as entertaining by audiences of the day

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Moore bonds almost feel like they were trying to make action comedies. They have these wild tonal shifts from being super serious to having something goofy happen.

But you can often put them in at least being fun.

Also, Die Another Day's themesong is by Madonna at her lowest point creatively, just awful.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

twistedmentat posted:

Also, Die Another Day's themesong is by Madonna at her lowest point creatively, just awful.

Seven time Grammy award winner posted:

Sigmund Freud.

Analyze This.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I am extremely confused by this.

They should have had Madonna do one in the early to mid 90s when she was probably at her peak, not after that awful American Life album. Madonna was Taylor Swift for women my age, I've been exposed to a lot of opinions about her music.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

twistedmentat posted:

I am extremely confused by this.

They should have had Madonna do one in the early to mid 90s when she was probably at her peak, not after that awful American Life album. Madonna was Taylor Swift for women my age, I've been exposed to a lot of opinions about her music.

(timestamped)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlbaJA7aO9M&t=60s

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

At she knew to focus on the torture scene and the swordfight, the objective best parts of the movie.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
The thing about the Moore movies is that they're goofy but memorable. Take View to a Kill. I remember the stuff at the horse farm, and the guy getting tossed out of the plane, and the wacky plot to flood Silicon Valley, and the mine filled with explosives, and Grace Jones, and the blimp getting tangled up in the Golden Gate Bridge.

On the other hand I can't remember anything from the Brosnan movies.

I'll take bad but memorable over utterly bland.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I irrationally liked The Man with the Golden Gun and Moonraker a lot, but haven't actually sat down to watch either movie in well over a decade. I don't remember particularly hating any of the Moore movies, although Live and Let Die is in the running for most obviously dated Bond movie for a bunch of scenes, and he was very much showing his age in A View to a Kill. They're all solidly in a middle ground of mindlessly entertaining to me.

Die Another Day I think is the worst. The CGI from basically the opening minute was laughable even when it came out, and while there's some moments here and there in it, most of it was bland to me. I always never really liked Diamonds are Forever, but could never exactly figure out why, just something about it.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Diamonds Are Forever is silly, but it had some of the best lines in the entire series.

When Tiffany "wins" the stuffed dog at the water gun game and the kid sarcastically asks the guy "who's she, your mother?", and Tiffany leans down and says "Blow up your pants."

And then when she and Bond are at the gas station and she blocks the other guy in, and he's honking his horn, and she goes "Keep leaning on that tooter, Charlie, and you're gonna get a shot in the mouth." Cracks me up every single time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Golden Gun feels like it's a bit of a waste of the premise but still pretty fun.

Most Bond movies seem to be at their core a collection of setpieces, many of which you could probably swap interchangeably between movies without really changing much.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Just gonna complain about No Time to Die featuring a demonstration of a nanobot that kills based on your DNA infecting red blood cells, basically the only cells in your body that don't have DNA :ignorance:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Just because I happened to watch an episode of QI that brought it up, did anyone know the James Bond theme started as a song about a man with unlucky sneeze?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6EuzGhIyRQ

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Air Skwirl posted:

Just because I happened to watch an episode of QI that brought it up, did anyone know the James Bond theme started as a song about a man with unlucky sneeze?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6EuzGhIyRQ

it's an comes up in Monty Norman's legal cases about the authorship of the theme belonging to him or John Barry.

a random thought - despite Bond's trips all over the Caribbean in the movies he's never (IIRC) been to Trinidad, the setting of A House for Mr Biswas for which the tune Bad Sign, Good Sign was written.
a missed opportunity there.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm trying to figure out what kind of food snob Bond should be.

Um.... An alcoholic.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
In one of the movies he makes a comment about the vintage of the sherry(?) he’s drinking, and M is like “Sherry doesn’t have a vintage idiot” and Bond is all “I mean the grapes the sherry was made from”

So my theory is he’d be way into seafood, and claim to know exactly which fishing ground a specific piece of tuna came from, and the time of day it was caught

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

So my theory is he’d be way into seafood, and claim to know exactly which fishing ground a specific piece of tuna came from, and the time of day it was caught

I mean, he literally does a "Beluga caviar from the north of the Caspian" in one movie, doesn't he?

edit: Looked it up, it's in OHMSS.

Magnetic North fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Nov 14, 2023

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Which is really funny because in the books he eats like poo poo and drinks plastic bottle gin. He is a metaphor for England you see.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Magnetic North posted:

I mean, he literally does a "Beluga caviar from the north of the Caspian" in one movie, doesn't he?

edit: Looked it up, it's in OHMSS.

i'll confess to only watching that one once, ages ago

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm trying to figure out what kind of food snob Bond should be.

quote:

M. smiled at him indulgently. “It’s your funeral,” he said.—“Now we’d better get on with our dinner. How were the cutlets?”

“Superb,” said Bond. “I could cut them with a fork. The best English cooking is the best in the world—particularly at this time of the year. [...]

From Moonraker, and at this point Bond is up to his tits in meth (the 'it's your funeral' quip by M) but I think it's more evidence for Book Bond being a hideous monster.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
When they do new bonds again, I really hope they do at least one where a villain has a lair in an inaccessible location thats filled with Henchman Bond has to get through to beat the villain and stop his, I dunno, computer virus that makes everything into an NFT or something.

Also no more Bond movies where he's got a direct personal connection to the villain or anything else. Why did you feel the need to make Bloefeld Bond's secret Half Brother?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

twistedmentat posted:

Also no more Bond movies where he's got a direct personal connection to the villain or anything else. Why did you feel the need to make Bloefeld Bond's secret Half Brother?

parallel for european royalty

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

When they do new bonds again, I really hope they do at least one where a villain has a lair in an inaccessible location thats filled with Henchman Bond has to get through to beat the villain and stop his, I dunno, computer virus that makes everything into an NFT or something.

I'd be down for this if they actually went full Liquid Bond with it. But you gotta go full Metal Gear melodrama and also pro wrestling callouts and showdowns and shirtless dudes throwing each other about.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

twistedmentat posted:

That's something I really didn't like about the recent Bond's with Blofeld, why does he have to be the poor kid that Bond's family brought in? Why does everything these days need a personal connection? Why couldn't he just hate Bond because he foiled all his plots?

My take on this: they wanted to make him familiar to the audience even if they haven't followed the Bond series history. Thing is, Blofeld really is coming from too far back in the past now to be able to do that to the extent that they'd like, so instead they went the roundabout way of making him an old chum of Bond so it might click with the audience: "Oh! I remember now! This guy is DR. EVIL! Wow, this is a big deal."

twistedmentat posted:

I've not seen On Her Majesties Secret Service that many times, but it just feels very weird. Like for one thing, Telly Savalas is just there, and its kind of distracting. Also the plot is just odd, he's going to cure women of their allergies but in the process turn them into biological bombs I think? Though it does lead directly into Diamonds Are Forever starting out with Bond punching random people going WHERE IS ERNST STRAV BLOFELD??? and without seeing the end of the previous one, you'll not know about Teresa and why Bond is hunting Blofeld down.

The impression I got watching Diamonds Are Forever is that they were presenting the audience a "choose your own backstory." If you're fine having Connery directly follow up On Her Majesty's Secret Service, you can take Bond's aggressive search for Blofeld as his pursuit of revenge against the man who killed his wife. If you'd rather this movie keep itself separate from OHMSS, you're free to do that, too, and view it as Bond is angrily searching for Blofeld because he managed to escape from him in You Only Live Twice (and, if you prefer, Blofeld was also responsible for previous girlfriend Aki's death (as well as a number of other women he's slept with, come to think of it...)). The beginning even starts out in Japan.

Now I don't know if they were actually going for that "intentionally ambiguous" route or not, but if they were I don't think they quite pulled it off, because instead of being perfectly malleable, the result actually just doesn't fit comfortably with either prior film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

twistedmentat posted:

A fun fact, why Bond makes a quiche in it was because there was a book published called "Real Men Don't Each Quiche" which was horribly toxic and misogynistic, even for the early 80s. And so they had Bond, a mans man if there has every been one, make a quiche on screen. Also quiche is delicious, its just an omelette in a pie crust, and what man doesn't like an omelette?

Funner fact, the author of that book would later write the screenplays to "Goldeneye", "Tomorrow Never Dies", and "The World is Not Enough"