Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

what was it like? the idea of a cruise fascinates me but i've never been on a cruise ship personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

No

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica
top 10: which cruiselines are the most cannabis friendly

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

The idea of being stuck on a ship in quarantine during Covid pretty much cured me of the delusion that a cruise would be fun.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Went on a Disney cruise right before COVID and it was a blast, would recommend OP

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Dollar store wizard master

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Went on a Disney cruise right before COVID and it was a blast, would recommend OP

what did you do?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
cruise ships are fake arcologies and i hate them

melt them all down and make a darco out of them. i will live in the vents

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

W I Z A R D M A S T E R
I E
Z T
A S
R A
D M
M D
A R
S A
T Z
E I
R W

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
OP spends a lot of time cruising iykwim

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I went on a cruise for my honeymoon and aside from the overwhelming number of old people it was nice. Admittedly, I got a ton more mileage out of chilling outside than most. Couldn't live on the sea for a living, pretty sure I'd go insane, but it's pretty out there.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
i've never heard a story about how fun a cruise was it always goes "oh man i was making GBS threads / puking the whole time"

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I went on a gambling cruise with my folks when I was a kid op

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Why don’t you cruise by and suck my balls op

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Nooner posted:

OP spends a lot of time cruising iykwim

joyful, carefree anonymous gay sex? nice

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Cruises sound like the worst poo poo on earth

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I've been on a cruise through the Caribbean with my parents when I was younger. It was pretty fun, like 11 days and we stopped on 7 or so different islands. Which would be difficult to manage if not on a cruise, and each island was unique in various ways and cool to explore. My brother and I got up to some hyjinx.

Then again on an incentive trip at my job. A shorter tour through different islands and coastal Mexico. Generally I would rent a motorbike first thing getting to a new stop and drive around the entire island, usually finding some interesting places. I got pretty good at that Flow rider thing whether they shoot water up an incline and you ride it.

They were both really fun honestly. Most of all, I didn't pay for either one

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I went on the big red boat and a disney cruise with my parents. The big red boat was cool cuz they had a battle toads machine set to free play.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i work with a fiction podcast as a musician and we were hired as performers during a week long "nerd cruise" by a guy named jonathan coulton who runs these things called joco cruises. so it wasn't quite a typical cruise, tho it took place on a normal holland america cruise ship. in previous years the "joco cruise" people were mixed in with more typical passengers but this time there were enough nerds that the whole boat was just for us. there were a number of other cool performers there which led to some surreal moments like when i got to be on a songwriting panel with ted leo, zoe keating, and the guy that wrote the buffy the vampire theme song. due to the particular nature of this group, a lot of the people stayed inside playing board games and ttrpg's all the time. the regular internet didn't work but the ship had a very active intranet. the food was horrible, though there was one point where we stopped at a small town in mexico and held a concert and the food in that town was great. it was weird as hell being on stage on a boat. some of the "nerd celebs" who were there seemed to get shoehorned into our show, like patrick rothfuss, which was a bit confusing. jonathan coulton himself seems to be a guy who write songs about baseball? i interacted with him very briefly but he seemed nice. the creator of steven universe was on the boat and for some reason took it upon themselves to put together a large group of people to play a duran duran song on ukeleles, not sure what that was about but as a result of this there were a large number of people scattered around the boat practcing that song all the time. this was pre-covid but everyone was paranoid about disease (norovirus mostly) and i got into the habit of sanitizing my hands every time i passed a sanitizing station, which was like every two minutes. saw some whales in the distance at one point. the trip involved sailing up the sea of cortez and it was kind of weird to be in like some of the best fishing waters in the world while eating gross frozen salmon from sysco. while the average age of this group was probably in the low 30's, the boat had "that old people smell" immediately upon boarding. i got friendly with some of the regular crew, the sound guys who work the 6 months contracts etc, and heard some horror stories about what the normal crowd can be like. but i do think about taking one of those 6 month contracts myself sometimes. there were a lot of stores on the ship set up to sell stuff to a very different crowd - fake diamonds, very expensive old people clothes, etc. and none of the nerds went into those places, you'd see the staff just milling around with nothing to do. they should have switched them out for gaming/collectible shops and made a killing

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 20, 2023

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
calling all freaks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A12-KN5UijA

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Earwicker posted:

i work with a fiction podcast as a musician and we were hired as performers during a week long "nerd cruise" by a guy named jonathan coulton who runs these things called joco cruises. so it wasn't quite a typical cruise, tho it took place on a normal holland american cruise ship. in previous years the "joco cruise" people were mixed in with more typical passengers but this time there were enough nerds that the whole boat was just for us. there were a number of other cool performers there which led to some surreal moments like when i got to be on a songwriting panel with ted leo, zoe keating, and the guy that wrote the buffy the vampire theme song. due to the particular nature of this group, a lot of the people stayed inside playing board games and ttrpg's all the time. the regular internet didn't work but the ship had a very active intranet. the food was horrible, though there was one point where we stopped at a small town in mexico and held a concert and the food in that town was great. it was weird as hell being on stage on a boat. some of the "nerd celebs" who were there seemed to get shoehorned into our show, like patrick rothfuss, which was a bit confusing. jonathan coulton himself seems to be a guy who write songs about baseball? i interacted with him very briefly but he seemed nice. the creator of steven universe was on the boat and for some reason took it upon themselves to put together a large group of people to play a duran duran song on ukeleles, not sure what that was about. this was pre-covid but everyone was paranoid about disease (norovirus mostly) and i got into the habit of sanitizing my hands every time i passed a sanitizing station, which was like every two minutes. saw some whales in the distance at one point. the trip involved sailing up the sea of cortez and it was kind of weird to be in like some of the best fishing waters in the world while eating gross frozen salmon from sysco. while the average age of this group was probably in the low 30's, the boat had "that old people smell" immediately upon boarding. i got friendly with some of the regular crew, the sound guys who work the 6 months contracts etc, and heard some horror stories about what the normal crowd can be like. but i do think about taking one of those 6 month contracts myself sometimes.

ted leo is really cool

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
never been on one but one of my buddies just informed me that he and his wife are going on this cruise next week

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 20, 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

kntfkr posted:

ted leo is really cool

yea his music is good and he's a very nice person.

there was a room where all the performers could kind of hang out and drink together and it was a really nice vibe in there, most people were very friendly regardless of comparative fame/status etc. like i was a complete nobody compared to most people in the room at almost all times but we all played music together and hung out like friends for a week that was probably the best part of the whole thing

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 20, 2023

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
This is the only cruise worth going on

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

how are ops threads not gas on sight yet lol

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Peggy Edson posted:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Goons are experts at cruising

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Yes. We did a Seattle to Alaska cruise. It was just ok. The best parts were not at all cruise involved and could have been done on a normal vacation.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I looked hard at being an IT guy on a cruise ship when I was a lot younger, and a long thread on these forums convinced me not to do it.

Being around drunk americans at sea sounds even worse than normal

Peggy Edson posted:

I've seen Nom Epique and Pencilhands is no Nom Epique

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Battletoads is a pretty good cabinet to have if you're going to have an arcade game

Are there any cruises that are nerds playing video games yet?

Smash tournament hygiene, but a cruise

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Private Cumshoe posted:

Battletoads is a pretty good cabinet to have if you're going to have an arcade game

Are there any cruises that are nerds playing video games yet?

Smash tournament hygiene, but a cruise
this company does nothing else
https://gacucon.com/

quote:

The OG Geek Cruise
Looking for your 2023 Geeky, Game-y, need to show my cosplay to everyone, vacation? Join the 2023 GACUCON Game Cruise for a 4 Night Catalina & Ensenada Cruise. Sailing out of the Port of Los Angeles, this Cruise Event is like no other. The Worlds First Game Cruise is back for another year of fun, loot, prizes and more.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

pencilhands posted:

what did you do?

all sorts of fat American things, the best was the kids play area with babysitters who would watch your kids for hours while you did whatever you want (mostly stuffed my face)

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
also I cannot underestimate waking up at 2am, craving a filet, going down to whatever it open, and they'll make you one

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
No, but I have read that article by David Foster Wallace in which he describes the experience of going on a cruise. I'm pretty sure it was actually an article about being depressed and the cruise didn't matter. (It's a really good article.)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Go on the wrestling cruise OP, you coward

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I once got trapped on a family friend's boat all night with alligators circling it. Wouldn't recommend.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Okay yall do some weird cruise poo poo most people just ride on them to visit islands and go on the pool occasionally

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Das Boo posted:

I once got trapped on a family friend's boat all night with alligators circling it. Wouldn't recommend.

What

How

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
if you ever get stuck on one you'll be surrounded by the elderly. at least if anything happens you can beat them to the life boats

also remember to bring an hdmi cable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Family was in Florida for my dad's annual meeting and we met up with houseboat friend while there. The idea was to spend the day on the water and head to a lakeside restaurant for dinner. He told us there were no alligators in the lake.

Well, first the motor died. We put up the sail and naturally, the wind died. Next, houseboat friend tried a ship to shore distress call, but either no one picked up or they thought he was just drunk? Which he was. "Hello, hello, we need a tow, on Lake Monroe! Huhuh, that rhymes!"

This was 199...4? '95? No cells, of course. So we were just kinda stuck there, Florida in July, and after jumping in the water initially we had to get out pretty quickly because someone "saw something in the water." There was some relief from the heat when the sun went down, but then a million tiny green bugs descended upon the boat. Most of us holed up in the cabin while houseboat guy stayed on deck to see if the wind would pick up. But he was super drunk and puking overboard, which attracted the alligators that weren't there, and you could see them breaking the water around the boat all night. We were out there all night.

The wind finally picked up in the morning and my dad and houseboat guy had to hitch the 10 miles back to the car with a couple of prostitutes. The cherry on the sundae was getting in the car and seeing a 10 foot gator chilling on the side of the road within a few minutes.

Addendum! We saw a friend who worked at Universal Studios right before we left. He informed us they used to film parts of Tarzan at Lake Monroe because there were so many alligators in there.