Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will the Beer Snake be the best thing out of the XFL?
Yes, Beer Snake made me a DC believer
No, I hate fun and the XFL
Show me to the lemon party
View Results

MaximilianK
Jan 8, 2022
THURSDAY?!?!?-

St. Louis @ Seattle Sea Dragons

Thursday, February 23
9:00PM ET

FX
ESPN Xtra on Sirius/XM

Saturday-

D.C. Defenders @ Vegas Vipers

Saturday, February 25
7:00PM ET

FX / ESPN Deportes
ESPN Xtra on Sirius/XM

Sunday-

San Antonio Brahmas @ Orlando Guardians

Sunday, February 26
4:00PM ET

ESPN
ESPN Xtra on Sirius/XM

Arlington Renegades @ Houston Roughnecks
Sunday, February 26
7:00PM ET

ESPN2
ESPN Xtra on Sirius/XM

(Not actual beer snake in question)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I only watched the two afternoon games, but my quick thought is, the defenses are way further ahead then the offenses. Non-NFL front seven players >>>>> Non-NFL QB's and OL's. You're gonna see so many ball hawking interceptions in this league... which loving rules IMO.

There were what? like 10 ints in the 4 games right?

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

There's a lot more good defensive talent that can't make an NFL roster than good quarterbacking talent. Hell there are only 20 quarterbacks in the NFL alone I would consider 'good', imagine what the others must look like

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 40 minutes!
Gravy Boat 2k
one of da battles for texas, ya love ta see it

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Kalli posted:

I only watched the two afternoon games, but my quick thought is, the defenses are way further ahead then the offenses. Non-NFL front seven players >>>>> Non-NFL QB's and OL's. You're gonna see so many ball hawking interceptions in this league... which loving rules IMO.

There were what? like 10 ints in the 4 games right?

12 total
Vipers 2
Renegades 1

Guardians 3
Roughnecks 2

Battlehawks 0
Brahmas 1

Sea Dragons 2
Defenders 1

MaximilianK
Jan 8, 2022
Here's my sales pitch to the Rock to make the XFL the 1# football sports league in the world, let everyone do steroids.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The first football EGOT has been achieved

https://twitter.com/MichaelBalkoJr/status/1627910564503494657?s=20

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.

Friendly reminder that NFL Draft analysts said this man was a First Round draft pick.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/SBNation/status/733812825618034689?s=20

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Digital Jedi posted:

12 total
Vipers 2
Renegades 1

Guardians 3
Roughnecks 2

Battlehawks 0
Brahmas 1

Sea Dragons 2
Defenders 1

Tbh I am surprised it was only 5 in that Roughnecks game, it felt like 15.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Your move, Christian Hackenburg.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Your move, Christian Hackenburg.

He serves a higher calling than football now (selling firewalls to nerds)

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
Seriously I really wanted them banning the beer snake to be front page news on WaPo. This media just doesn't serve us anymore.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I thought he never played in the CFL because he wasn't vaccinated and couldn't travel to Canada, which is a genius thing to figure out AFTER you sign a contract.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that's right. it's made up for clicks

MaximilianK
Jan 8, 2022
There's a thing tonight but I'm going to be minor league hockey game instead. My commitment to the Rock and XFL has waned already.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

syzpid posted:

I thought he never played in the CFL because he wasn't vaccinated and couldn't travel to Canada, which is a genius thing to figure out AFTER you sign a contract.

He never played, he was just stapled to the Riders' bench until he wasn't allowed to travel for not getting the vaccine. The vaccine mandate didn't happen til near the end of the 2021 season.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Wait, tonights game is on FX? At 6pm PT/9pm ET....not ideal.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

soggybagel posted:

Wait, tonights game is on FX? At 6pm PT/9pm ET....not ideal.

If it's like last week, it'll be ESPN providing the coverage, which was extremely funny to me

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

lmao Seattle QB openly making GBS threads on his coach's entire offensive philosophy
e: and commentary with the comeback "they did what the QB wanted last week and the QB actively hosed it up!"

i love having everyone miced up

StupidSexyMothman fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 24, 2023

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
Seattle Seahawks er.... DRAGONS

Jackson Pollock inspired jerseys/helmets... and best logo. What's not to like?

I'm also so depraved that I'm playing in an XFL fantasy league (4 teams in it)... and enjoyed a DiNucci to Pearson stack right away, indeed. It's always party time when you've got the Seaha---DRAGONS

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Week one viewership is in
https://twitter.com/JamesLarsenPFN/status/1628411010284666882

quote:

Ratings for 2023 XFL week one:
Arlington Renegades vs. Vegas Vipers (ABC): 1.53mil
Houston Roughnecks vs. Orlando Guardians (ESPN/FX): 751k/390k
San Antonio Brahmas vs. St. Louis Battlehawks (ABC): 1.57mil
DC Defenders vs. Seattle Sea Dragons (ESPN): 918k

For 2020's:
DC Defenders vs. Seattle Dragons (ABC): 3.3mil
Houston Roughnecks vs. Los Angeles Wildcats (FOX): 3.2mil
New York Guardians vs. Tampa Bay Vipers (FOX): 3.4mil
Dallas Renegades vs. St. Louis Battlehawks (ESPN): 2.49mil

https://twitter.com/bymikemitchell/status/1628968469814210561?s=21
Attendance at Lumen/CenturyLink Field in 2020's week 2 game (Feb 15) was 29,172

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Think people aren't as willing to get invested in a retread spring league that just failed three years ago.

Has ESPN done any advertising for the XFL at all? Fox smartly was plugging the USFL all during the NFL season, keeping it fresh in people's minds, but I didn't see anything similar for the XFL from ESPN.

EDIT: having said that, the USFL championship game got similar numbers to XFL games on ABC, so that may just be the cap for spring leagues now:

https://sports.yahoo.com/usfl-championship-game-birmingham-philadelphia-opening-weekend-182230970.html

Shinji2015 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 24, 2023

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I had no idea the XFL even started until I saw a thread on here.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Honestly there's no way the XFL does any better then those opening weekend ratings. I do enjoy having spring football on TV just for something to watch, but scrolling through the season schedule and the times are just all over the place.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I am beginning to regret choosing the sea snakes as my team completely at random. But nevertheless, I will persevere

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

wandler20 posted:

I had no idea the XFL even started until I saw a thread on here.

Same. Watching the DC/Vegas game right now though.

E: This field they're playing on looks like garbage. I think they had to paint the grass. Funny considering it looks like it's about to rain.

Macrame_God fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 26, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

How much money is The Rock willing to lose on this.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

He has several partners in this and it sounds like they got the rights for a song so I don’t think he’s going to live or die with the XFL’s success. If it totally bombs he can do another Mummy movie with Brendan Fraser or something and be fine.

E: or my real dream, another season of Ballers

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Based off of what I heard those tracks on the field happened months ago and they just never loving fixed it. I don’t know why. Like after they laid the sod some tractor drove over the field.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bring back the chicago enforcers, you loving coward the rock

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I mean the god drat Super Bowl, one of the most important sports events in the world, was played on a dogshit field that was painted over 4 million times to maximize ad revenue. Out of all the reasons to poop on the XFL, field quality feels low on the list.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Docjowles posted:

He has several partners in this and it sounds like they got the rights for a song so I don’t think he’s going to live or die with the XFL’s success. If it totally bombs he can do another Mummy movie with Brendan Fraser or something and be fine.

E: or my real dream, another season of Ballers

No he'll be fine, but I don't think the XFL will be!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Docjowles posted:

I mean the god drat Super Bowl, one of the most important sports events in the world, was played on a dogshit field that was painted over 4 million times to maximize ad revenue. Out of all the reasons to poop on the XFL, field quality feels low on the list.

It looked bad. I was working the game. It’s not a trivial thing to say optics are important for a upstart league. The entire Vegas stadium situation kind of sucks and it’s too bad they couldn’t work out a deal for Allegiant.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
well considering they sold half of the tickets available in a former minor league baseball stadium, i'm not sure having an empty allegiant stadium would have been a significant improvement

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I'm watching the SA/ORL game and it's already way better than last night's struggle fest.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I don't like the primary yellow unis tbqh

god drat what an adjustment and TD catch

e: not gdt

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I do find it interesting that even on ESPN's homepage the six sports they highlight along the banner are the NFL, NBA, NHL, NCAAM, NCCAW, and Soccer. And if you go to the scores section for the XFL there are no writeups of even the most basic generic style about the games and there are no stats available at all.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

who you got?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Tonight my 9 year old daughter asked me if there were any XFL games on because "the last one you watched, it was so funny how bad they were, I want to see it again"

And then when there was a commercial break and I explained they were showing the ESPN+ logo for 5 minutes because they didn't have enough paying advertisers lined up "that's sad"

out of the mouths of babes

soggybagel posted:

I do find it interesting that even on ESPN's homepage the six sports they highlight along the banner are the NFL, NBA, NHL, NCAAM, NCCAW, and Soccer. And if you go to the scores section for the XFL there are no writeups of even the most basic generic style about the games and there are no stats available at all.

the other day I was looking at stats in the XFL's own loving app and they were wrong. Like it showed zero interceptions when I watched INTs happen on back to back plays

Despite the content of this post I am enjoying the XFL and am grateful it exists, but man it is a rough product lol

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 27, 2023