Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

bossy lady posted:

every time someone brings up vampire survivors I read "vampire savior" and get excited thinking people are playing one of my favorite fighting games again 🥲

I would kill for a modern Darkstalkers but unfortunately Capcom sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok so no last of us tonight. The stupid water guy needs someone at the house at 8am to turn the water on so I gotta get up at 6:30 to make it over there.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for shelves to display nerdy poo poo in an office? I kinda don’t want to just use a boring bookshelf.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

not sure on the shelf tip, but are you looking for a case or more just ... shelves?

wife has politely asked me to hold off on buying the steam deck so we can get a ps5 for her maternity leave, so if any eu goons get wind of new bundles or price drops or even stock let me know.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

MarcusSA posted:

Ok so no last of us tonight. The stupid water guy needs someone at the house at 8am to turn the water on so I gotta get up at 6:30 to make it over there.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for shelves to display nerdy poo poo in an office? I kinda don’t want to just use a boring bookshelf.

Get little glass rockball glasses and some Submersible LEDs, then you can put your dice on display in the little cups and underlight them.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

prayer group posted:

i'm doing a second playthrough of Disco Elysium. a hacked run, with sixes in all stats so i can see almost all the dialogue from my skills. putting most of my skill points into the thought cabinet, heading for the communist vision quest, getting basically completely different conversations out of every character i talk to despite playing it mostly the same as my first playthrough. unbelievable game.

outer wilds is on sale on steam rn, i should probably check that out next but returnal looks fairly epic....

put 20 in all stats, which I think is the max, you coward. there are actually some early on checks that are weird and high enough that I don't think you'd ever hit them naturally.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
i did get a bunch of pretty crazy early checks, yeah. i had a 2 in FYS on my first playthrough so i was surprised to learn how early Shivers starts talking to you. the "where the hood at" dialogue is probably one of my favorite moments in any video game. it's also cool how if you start a new playthrough with knowledge of what's actually going on, all the options where you unwittingly stumble upon the correct answers have a fun little aura of spookiness around them. Inland Empire already knew everything, i'm convinced.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

NoiseAnnoys posted:

not sure on the shelf tip, but are you looking for a case or more just ... shelves?

Probably just some shelves. There is nothing in there right now so its a pretty blank slate.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's super weird that they set up the dialog system such that a line can be lawful/chaotic OR good/evil, but not both. So you have the good option, the chaotic option, etc. It does weird things to the writing.

Good game, though

absolutely (except blackwater). Blackwater can get hosed. I agree with you about the dialog too

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

NoiseAnnoys posted:

just beat Moonlighter out of sheer spite. i kind of loving hate that game and never want to see it again.

woah...
I thought it was pretty fun, even if the shopkeeping part was really simplified
what did you hate about it?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Like a Dragon Ishin is real good. Real cool to see all these characters I know from the other games in completely different circumstances. Also there is a Don Quijote for some reason.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

IGgy IGsen posted:

Like a Dragon Ishin is real good. Real cool to see all these characters I know from the other games in completely different circumstances. Also there is a Don Quijote for some reason.

It didn't even occur to me that it would be weird for there to be a Don Quijote in 1800s Kyo until like the third time I walked past it. I just accepted it would be there.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Violen posted:

im gonna break the mold and try out some nonsense in mega man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TC9sYXSiK8

it worked out

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
been awhile since I've spite-finished a game. part of reaching gamer enlightenment is knowing when to walk away

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

god drat

could see the palm sweating around the 50 second mark, very cool you pulled it off

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

woah...
I thought it was pretty fun, even if the shopkeeping part was really simplified
what did you hate about it?

it just felt so shallow and repetitive. once you got the right prices in the shop, everything was fine and you didn't have to touch it. the combat was basic, but also felt like a chore, the wasn't really a whole lot to do with the town besides the blacksmith and potion lady. i loved the demo and was just hoping there was more "there" i guess?

the setting has potential for sure.

i think i just kind of got spoiled by rogue-likes after hades.

NoiseAnnoys has a new favorite as of 09:17 on Feb 21, 2023

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

NoiseAnnoys posted:

it just felt so shallow and repetitive. once you got the right prices in the shop, everything was fine and you didn't have to touch it. the combat was basic, but also felt like a chore, the wasn't really a whole lot to do with the town besides the blacksmith and potion lady. i loved the demo and was just hoping there was more "there" i guess?

sounds like recettear but worse
the combat isnt much better though, but I couldnt get enough of that dungeon crawling

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

NoiseAnnoys posted:

I remember the first time I picked it up I bothered to make a few bows, assuming that the point would be to sell crafted stuff that people needed. You know, work with the town, build up relationships through trading and crafting and have fun. Then I saw that a crafted bow was worth way less than the cost of crafting and value of the supplies and that the game really was just going to be selling bundles of sticks, baskets of bolts and balls of slime to people for set prices in a shop system that would be bad for a phone game :(. Tried it again in case I was being unfair and bounced off again. Just a bummer, I'd love a more modern Recettear.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Playing Wasteland 2 Directors Cut. Was curious how the game changed cause I remember beating the original Wasteland 2 when it came out of Early Access and it was barebones as gently caress.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I remember the first time I picked it up I bothered to make a few bows, assuming that the point would be to sell crafted stuff that people needed. You know, work with the town, build up relationships through trading and crafting and have fun. Then I saw that a crafted bow was worth way less than the cost of crafting and value of the supplies and that the game really was just going to be selling bundles of sticks, baskets of bolts and balls of slime to people for set prices in a shop system that would be bad for a phone game :(. Tried it again in case I was being unfair and bounced off again. Just a bummer, I'd love a more modern Recettear.

exactly. i loved the concept of Zelda + Animal Crossing on paper, but man i basically finished just because i stupidly paid for it. at least it was on sale.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I'm returning to my Hades save to finish off the last few relationship bars I never got around to. Just need to get Demeter, Artemis, Achilles and Patroclus

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
im playing elden ring again just running around casting lightning bolts in my fat guy suit

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Started a new Rimworld colony but I need to get back and finish Kiwami 2 at some point.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Mr. Fix It posted:

i'm in the prologue of Middle-earth: Shadow of War and annoyed i can't dominate captains anymore

update: found out you can dominate captains once you leave minas morgul in the prologue.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Thinking I probably shouldn't spend that much money on KSP2 on launch day especially with those minimum specs but I haven't actually played KSP1 for a year or two so maybe get that out again?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

Unkempt posted:

Thinking I probably shouldn't spend that much money on KSP2 on launch day especially with those minimum specs but I haven't actually played KSP1 for a year or two so maybe get that out again?

try the mods that make all the planets solar system scaled and adds real rocket bits if you haven't. i remember that being still kerbal but different enough that it felt fresh. i remember getting off of earth as opposed to kerbin was a challenge again for a while

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Has anyone played much Triangle Strategy? Been looking for a Fire Emblem game to play since 3H didn't really do it for me and engage looks a bit too otome fanservicey for my taste (nothing wrong with that, just not really what I'm into)

Also thanks for making this thread, I really liked chatting with everyone here even if i didn't post much

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

womb with a view posted:

Has anyone played much Triangle Strategy? Been looking for a Fire Emblem game to play since 3H didn't really do it for me and engage looks a bit too otome fanservicey for my taste (nothing wrong with that, just not really what I'm into)

Also thanks for making this thread, I really liked chatting with everyone here even if i didn't post much

tristrat's good. the writing can be a bit dry at times but it goes some interesting places and it's a bit more willing to have some verv and life to it than the trailers made it seem (the guy who goes on unhinged rants about how dynamite will save the economy FTW). the voting system's cool, even if it's easy to game to get what you want the fact that you have to engage with the cast a lil to see what they want and what could convince them otherwise adds a lot of character to them, and there's a decent amount of route variation (4 endings but you can get to those endings via a variety of branches rather than three houses's hard pick a side minute one thing)

and gameplay-wise its a good time, every character has a distinct role and some flexibility in build. my only real complaint is that some of the class system stuff doesnt really open up until NG+. also some of the characters are a bit busted (the lady who can take two turns every time she moves instead of one is meant to be balanced by low damage and hp but it still gives her an insane amount of flexibility) but that's just standard SRPG fare

i went into it with middling expectations but i really enjoyed it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah Triangle Strategy was great. I really wasn't expecting to love it because I bounced off Octopath Traveler, but it really grabbed me and was one of my favorite games from last year. It's got a refreshingly grounded story for its genre, with satisfying gameplay (I really liked how every character was completely unique with their own niche) and some cool mechanics for taking different routes through the story based on persuading your friends to take one path or another.

Incidentally if you didn't love 3H, you might like Engage more than you're expecting, unless the aesthetics are just too off-putting for you. The story is generally pretty light and breezy but the social sim stuff is really toned down from 3H and the map design and combat is a huge improvement.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Endorph posted:

tristrat's good. the writing can be a bit dry at times but it goes some interesting places and it's a bit more willing to have some verv and life to it than the trailers made it seem (the guy who goes on unhinged rants about how dynamite will save the economy FTW). the voting system's cool, even if it's easy to game to get what you want the fact that you have to engage with the cast a lil to see what they want and what could convince them otherwise adds a lot of character to them, and there's a decent amount of route variation (4 endings but you can get to those endings via a variety of branches rather than three houses's hard pick a side minute one thing)

and gameplay-wise its a good time, every character has a distinct role and some flexibility in build. my only real complaint is that some of the class system stuff doesnt really open up until NG+. also some of the characters are a bit busted (the lady who can take two turns every time she moves instead of one is meant to be balanced by low damage and hp but it still gives her an insane amount of flexibility) but that's just standard SRPG fare

i went into it with middling expectations but i really enjoyed it.

Strategy RPGs have never been able to balance extra turns well, the power of extra moves is just too good. Original FFT was plagued by speed supremacy and it was even worse in LUCT where classes like terror knight were completely unusable

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CountryMatters posted:

Strategy RPGs have never been able to balance extra turns well, the power of extra moves is just too good. Original FFT was plagued by speed supremacy and it was even worse in LUCT where classes like terror knight were completely unusable

Have you played Tactics Ogre Reborn yet? Terror Knights got a much-needed buff and are actually good this time around. They're the ideal can opener to take a heavy-armored enemy and just nuke their defenses into nothing. After LUCT I'm glad they're actually usable

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Oh cool, that sounds right up my alley then. I'll give it a shot!

Harrow posted:

Incidentally if you didn't love 3H, you might like Engage more than you're expecting, unless the aesthetics are just too off-putting for you. The story is generally pretty light and breezy but the social sim stuff is really toned down from 3H and the map design and combat is a huge improvement.

Honestly that does make me think I should give Engage a try, sounds like they've fixed everything I didn't really like about 3H

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah the between battles stuff in engage can take like 5-10 minutes tops compared to the hours you'd spend in 3h. its closer to the base stuff in fates if you played that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if your problem was "too much poo poo between tactics battles" yeah definitely do engage and not tristrat, even though tristrat is a goty

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

if your problem was "too much poo poo between tactics battles" yeah definitely do engage and not tristrat, even though tristrat is a goty
eh tristrat has a lot of plot between battles but not a lot of the base management stuff

like personally im fine with super long cutscenes my problem with 3h was that it was mostly just a lot of running around in circles at the monastery

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I don't know if it's really comparable. TriStrat has a ton of stuff between battles but it's all story stuff and not base management, relationship values, or things like that. And if you like a relatively grounded story about politics, trade, and resource disputes, you'll probably really like the stuff going on between TriStrat's battles.

I really loved both it and Engage so I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Triangle Strategy does have a demo but fair warning, the first couple chapters are definitely the slowest-paced and that's what the demo shows. If you play the demo and like it, though, you'll probably adore the full game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ive joked about it before but if you dig the opening cutscene of tristrat being about the salt trade, you'll probably like the game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

ive joked about it before but if you dig the opening cutscene of tristrat being about the salt trade, you'll probably like the game

SALT

IRON

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

BALLS DILDO posted:

not only did my cat allow the chickens inside, she let them eat her food

does anyone want a terrible cat
I would take a cat that's apparently able to open a door on its own, sure. You giving hens away too?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

B33rChiller posted:

I would take a cat that's apparently able to open a door on its own, sure. You giving hens away too?

I used to have a cat who could open doors because we had handles instead of knobs. So he'd jump up, grab the handle, then SLAM himself against the door so even if it was a 'pull' door, it's slam against the frame and bounce open.

He was a little bastard and pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Cthulu Carl posted:

I used to have a cat who could open doors because we had handles instead of knobs. So he'd jump up, grab the handle, then SLAM himself against the door so even if it was a 'pull' door, it's slam against the frame and bounce open.

He was a little bastard and pretty great.

Ha, awesome. That cat can have chicks over any time.