Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

A CRAB IRL posted:

My job currently is heavy duty algo optimisation at massive scale and lambda calculus poo poo, proper computer science problem spaces, and there is no room there for folks without the deep theory or maths skills, they can't hang - but I will concede 95%+ of modern software engineering has only minimal crossover with this

I bet you just move json from one server to another like the rest of us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

olives black posted:

the gen ed courses also teach you that there's a big wide world outside of writing software :)

I liked my gen ed courses.

The only courses I outright disliked were the dips into EE or higher math and the technical writing class where the instructor's attitude was summed up by the first class of the semester just being her bitching about the new engineering building that went up.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Vim Fuego posted:

microsolder my dick to my balls :science::flaccid:

Sorry I don't have a microscope or microscopic tweezers on me, otherwise I'd help u out

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

MrQwerty posted:

also dollar-store wizard master thread

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Smugworth posted:

I bet you just move json from one server to another like the rest of us

I mean that's not a million miles from the truth but in a global events bus at half-exabyte scale and 10m+ cloud spend a month, so algorithmic optimisations for the p99+ of your worst operations are extremely impactful, you can't just linearly horizontally scale this stuff forever

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just learn to dig ditches it's a lot more fulfilling and useful than computers

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

wtf even is a computer anyway? sounds like some real nerd rear end poo poo.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

I agree

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
A machine for making you a worse human

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

flubber nuts posted:

It's something that attaches to ur body and changes your fundamental nature

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

You don’t have to get a computer science degree. Just apply to a lot of jobs, and eventually they’ll be curious how much you know without a degree, and test your skills during interviews. As long as you are good at the qualifications and skills they’re asking for, you’ve got your chance to make six figgies without wasting your time getting some piece of paper that costs tens of thousands and many years of your life.

flubber nuts posted:

That’s exactly what it they are.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

A CRAB IRL posted:

I mean that's not a million miles from the truth but in a global events bus at half-exabyte scale and 10m+ cloud spend a month, so algorithmic optimisations for the p99+ of your worst operations are extremely impactful, you can't just linearly horizontally scale this stuff forever

Been saying this

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

I'm already ashamed of myself for that post

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

MrQwerty posted:

also dollar-store wizard master thread

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Learn node.js, and you can get a job that pays 90-135k/year. No stupid math classes required.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

pencilhands posted:

I'm already 10 years in the undergrad and have only passed half of the subjects

Keep trying op you seem to be on the right path

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Yeah I was declared as Comp Sci major for one term then went to undecided, it was boring as hell and they were trying to teach us baby poo poo like what RAM stands for and how to code html and poo poo. I realized I wasn't gonna finish college unless I was majoring in something I actually enjoyed so I got an Italian degree and during those four years I did a study abroad in Perugia drinking wine and chilling with hot Italian babes

Thanks for listening

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

A CRAB IRL posted:

have you considered just blaming the p99+ timings on the hosting provider until you can strongarm another team into owning the lovely code?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
stop all the downloadin’

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope
Saying things are "cancer" is a great move for people who have never dealt with cancer. I hope you feel appropately called out by this post even though I agree with the generic version of your concept

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

have you considered just blaming the p99+ timings on the hosting provider until you can strongarm another team into owning the lovely code?

I mean I suppose I could try blaming Kinesis but it's obviously and objectively our own lovely rats nest code to blame, so

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

olives black posted:

Unless your undergrad program is nuts you'll only have to take single-variable calc, discrete math, basic stats and maybe linear algebra.

Considering that you're the sort of person who's fine with misusing the word "literally" I strongly advise you to change careers. There are enough idiots in my field already, thank you

Tell me more

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

ime as a big time computer toucher people with CS degrees often end up trying to intellectualise stuff rather than just gitting r done

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

A CRAB IRL posted:

this guy gets it

0.1% of programming jobs are like this

99.9% of programming jobs are just bolting poo poo together

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

A CRAB IRL posted:

I mean I suppose I could try blaming Kinesis but it's obviously and objectively our own lovely rats nest code to blame, so
blaming others and externalizing debt before you bail for the next company works at constant time complexity, did they not teach you this at algorithm college

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

git apologist posted:

ime as a big time computer toucher people with CS degrees often end up trying to intellectualise stuff rather than just gitting r done

Goes both ways

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

blaming others and externalizing debt before you bail for the next company works at constant time complexity, did they not teach you this at algorithm college

God drat, teach me ur ways

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

A CRAB IRL posted:

Goes both ways

get his rear end!!

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

A CRAB IRL posted:

doing the same CRUD operations at a rate mere mortals could never comprehend

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

Konar posted:

doing the same CRUD operations at a rate mere mortals could never comprehend

Hey I'll have you know we gently caress them up and lose them at a rate you could never comprehend too

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

A CRAB IRL posted:

God drat, teach me ur ways
The first step is to chime in with "that's what I was thinking" when somebody has a good idea and "but what if this doesn't work??" when somebody comes up with a plan. Badger the hosting provider into suggesting more capacity to deal with your lovely code, then frame the suggestion as an admission that the hosting infrastructure was bottlenecked. Now that you're responsible for all of the good ideas in your organization and demonstrated your operational saviness by predicting problems with people's plans, use your newfound clout to bully another team's manager into becoming a secondary administrator for the permissions of the repo of the lovely code. After enough time has passed to muddy the waters, remove yourself as administrator and ghost the new owner of the repo.

Congratulations, you have now vastly improved the averages and p99s of your apps’ performance. Put that on your resume and jump ship before anybody can get revenge

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

A CRAB IRL posted:

Hey I'll have you know we gently caress them up and lose them at a rate you could never comprehend too

Challenge accepted

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Smugworth posted:

Too bad you don't know how to stop lying;

Fixed it. I am a very good programmer (I'm not), who is amazing at theory (Nope just relative to the coding so a smidge less poo poo). Also dated so I couldn't do poo poo these days, bring back hypercard.

edit: Oh and nothing advanced just the basic poo poo.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 21, 2023

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I just code things I think seem cool, it isn't hard. If you don't understand something then just research it. Implement some ideas from a paper. Someone mentioned lambda functions, those are really useful, go learn them.

I did one semester of Comp Sci before realizing I didn't give a gently caress about Comp Sci. Like, there's a lot of fields where formal education is important but if you don't even know why you want or need the formal education then you're a big ole dumb dumb for paying for it lol

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

BRICKFACE posted:

I've worked as a software engineer for years with no degree and I don't see any appreciable difference between people who have CS degrees and those who don't

In my experience, the ones who do have CS degrees tend to have nerdier hobbies.

But the boring kind of nerdy, like being pedantic about the names of specific types of polyhedrons or writing a rubiks cube solver program in LISP or w/e.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

pencilhands posted:

Why the gently caress do I need to be an expert in Math and Statistics to get a degree in Comp Sci? This loving poo poo has become unbearable. I'm already 10 years in the undergrad and have only passed half of the subjects which was literally cancer. Average graduation time is 8 years while the minimum time needed is 4. It would take at least 2 more years of non stop studying to finish this poo poo. Why do they make em so hard?

I think I have some thoughts on this as a former Math/CS major and it's been a while since I really dug in deep on the research of this:

CS gets a lot of duplicated major sublistings, I seem to think: CS as a stand alone, CS with Math, CS with Stats, CS with Actuarial, CS with Physics.

In most of those cases, you're not really getting 'one' degree worth of courses, but two. You're doing a dual major, which would be fine if that's what you wanted, but if you just want the CS and the school doesn't offer 'just' a CS, you're a bit screwed.

Also, CS majors I think tend to get railroaded into a really crap position for the first few years of their degree where if they burn out or have problems, they're screwed. They had such a major (no pun intended) focus on requirements that they're stuck with where they can go when they need to change programs. For example, when I wanted to change programs I had already taken several classes on the college's Math/CS roadmap, which just so happened to have HUGE problems because there wasn't really an 'out' that kept me in any sort of STEM field that WASN'T directly related to Math or CS, nor many options outside of Math-related fields to move into.

(That, and I was told I couldn't change major, anyway, even if I had the right classes.)

Oddly enough, I seem to think the school I went to had multiple CS programs that were split between different departments, where the ENGINEERING CS degree ultimately had less Math requirements, but more physics and applied computer-centric courses. There's a point where the higher level math seems to become all 'theory' and that's what killed me.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Feb 21, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

pretty sure at this next job I'm gonna end up on a fac/maint path that will involve me learning to program PLCs and I'm looking forward to that, I've been very interested in learning that specific skill since I've been interacting with PLCs all night for years

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
programming is for nerds. someone show this guy what happens to nerds around here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
We give them custom titles