Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Good Sphere posted:

Learn node.js, and you can get a job that pays 90-135k/year. No stupid math classes required.

JavaScript :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

The first step is to chime in with "that's what I was thinking" when somebody has a good idea and "but what if this doesn't work??" when somebody comes up with a plan. Badger the hosting provider into suggesting more capacity to deal with your lovely code, then frame the suggestion as an admission that the hosting infrastructure was bottlenecked. Now that you're responsible for all of the good ideas in your organization and demonstrated your operational saviness by predicting problems with people's plans, use your newfound clout to bully another team's manager into becoming a secondary administrator for the permissions of the repo of the lovely code. After enough time has passed to muddy the waters, remove yourself as administrator and ghost the new owner of the repo.

Congratulations, you have now vastly improved the averages and p99s of your apps’ performance. Put that on your resume and jump ship before anybody can get revenge

I'm gonna start gaslighting our Amazon TAM, thanks for your advice 25Mhz 386 IBM PC Master

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

An undergraduate program in any discipline is primarily designed to identify the students who can continue on to do graduate work in that discipline and to prepare them for that work. Any value that it has for any other career path is a secondary concern at best.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

ultrafilter posted:

An undergraduate program in any discipline is primarily designed to identify the students who can continue on to do graduate work in that discipline and to prepare them for that work. Any value that it has for any other career path is a secondary concern at best.

So that's why I had to write so many loving proofs in undergrad...

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ten years to get an undergraduate degree?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

drat op maybe you should just get good they're just numbers didn't you learn about them at like 4yo

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

The first step is to chime in with "that's what I was thinking" when somebody has a good idea and "but what if this doesn't work??" when somebody comes up with a plan.

Be very very very careful of doing this or people will start looking to you for novel solutions to their most stressful and difficult problems

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

A CRAB IRL posted:

My job currently is heavy duty algo optimisation at massive scale and lambda calculus poo poo, proper computer science problem spaces, and there is no room there for folks without the deep theory or maths skills, they can't hang - but I will concede 95%+ of modern software engineering has only minimal crossover with this
this is what I wanted to do, or 3D programming, and instead I ended up in web development
CS sucks

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

The first step is to chime in with "that's what I was thinking" when somebody has a good idea and "but what if this doesn't work??" when somebody comes up with a plan. Badger the hosting provider into suggesting more capacity to deal with your lovely code, then frame the suggestion as an admission that the hosting infrastructure was bottlenecked. Now that you're responsible for all of the good ideas in your organization and demonstrated your operational saviness by predicting problems with people's plans, use your newfound clout to bully another team's manager into becoming a secondary administrator for the permissions of the repo of the lovely code. After enough time has passed to muddy the waters, remove yourself as administrator and ghost the new owner of the repo.

Congratulations, you have now vastly improved the averages and p99s of your apps’ performance. Put that on your resume and jump ship before anybody can get revenge

You son of a bitch!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i don't trust any machine that can move or think on its own

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

benitocereno posted:

Saying things are "cancer" is a great move for people who have never dealt with cancer. I hope you feel appropately called out by this post even though I agree with the generic version of your concept

agreed. he should have said computer science is aids

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i went to school for 4 years so i can pretend toi know how a robot is made and get paid hella money to post on something awful and it rules

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

A computer touched me... Down there

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Saalkin posted:

this is the future you can looks forward to in bidens america

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i don't trust any machine that can move or think on its own

every industrial accident I've been involved in around machines that operate automatically (and there were more than 2 at the drug factory) was because a human being opened a valve and didn't tell anyone, or bypassed something in an improper way during setup

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

every industrial accident I've been involved in around machines that operate automatically (and there were more than 2 at the drug factory) was because a human being opened a valve and didn't tell anyone, or bypassed something in an improper way during setup

sounds like robot violence apologism. "oh yeah the robot didn't mean to maim and kill those people, the silly OPERATOR is responsible!"

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Saalkin posted:

What was his domain name lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

What was his domain name lol

lol get his rear end

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

sounds like robot violence apologism. "oh yeah the robot didn't mean to maim and kill those people, the silly OPERATOR is responsible!"

oh, I don't trust robots for poo poo

I just trust people operating manual crank valves and setting up active lines even less

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Imo it is pretty hosed up that computer science has nothing to do with science and very little to do with computers.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The science of sex techniques and loving

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Firmware engineering and embedded programming is where it's at

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Rahu posted:

Imo it is pretty hosed up that computer science has nothing to do with science and very little to do with computers.

They should call it calculation studies and theory.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

sudonim posted:

For real, if it wasn't for the fact that salaries in these fields are literally half what you can get for Fullstack nonsense in my area, I'd be all over it.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Deki posted:

So that's why I had to write so many loving proofs in undergrad...

i think writing proofs was the hardest thing in my cs degree lol

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Aramis posted:

For real, if it wasn't for the fact that salaries in these fields are literally half what you can get for Fullstack nonsense in my area, I'd be all over it.

It's hosed that the worst kind of computer touching is the One True Career and has eclipsed basically every other possible thing you could advise someone to do with their time

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

sudonim posted:

If you're a NERD :redass:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

do PLCs count as embedded at this point or are they their own thing, I've been an operator too long to know what computer touchers call things

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
"Crap, I don't know how to do this..." -> Google -> Stack Exchange

Oh look I'm the magic man who makes the computers go again. Wow. Now I'll read the internet until I'm allowed to leave this horrible office and go commute on the horrible highway.

Honestly digging ditches or equiv is much better. Burn enough calories to eat whatever the gently caress you want for dinner.

Done with loving office work.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

MrQwerty posted:

took me 6 months to nope out of CS then get a history degree then flounder around for a (long) while and then learn clean room manufacturing and microsoldering was my poo poo and now im gonna make silicon op

I noped out of CS after being unable to pass the math requirement, got a history degree because history was the degree I was closest to graduating with, and then became a QA engineer :hfive:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol it's crazy to me that you can call yourself an engineer in america w a history degree and not doing anything you could remotely call engineering

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I noped out of CS after one semester and went into ME instead. Troubleshooting was not for me.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

not to singlwe you out yeahtubamike it's just wild

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Hey, as long as it looks impressive on a resume and gets me lots of money when I'm not laid off anyway, I can't care too much

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I think less than half the people in the construction field who call themselves engineers have degrees in engineering.

But it kind of makes sense when you consider titles like "Project Engineer".

Most of the structural engineers I would presume are actual engineers.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

YeahTubaMike posted:

I noped out of CS after being unable to pass the math requirement, got a history degree because history was the degree I was closest to graduating with, and then became a QA engineer :hfive:

yeah my path after manufacturing operator has been either QA engineering or maint/fac and it looks like I'm going to maint/fac

not to singlwe you out yeahtubamike it's just wild

one of my managers at the drug plant that got sharked from Pfizer told me that the best proc engs he ever worked with had history degrees and engineering backgrounds

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 21, 2023

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

lol it's crazy to me that you can call yourself an engineer in america w a history degree and not doing anything you could remotely call engineering

Some of the best engineers I've met were self taught, some of the worst were well papered. Also, in many states and provinces if you call yourself an engineer in any capacity without being a member of the engineering society they will sue you. Even if you don't claim to be an engineer but offer design or advice on an engineering topic they can sue you. That's why we go by the title of designers.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

The befuddlement is not about capabilities, but comes from a legal standpoint. Sane countries have "Engineer" locked down as a protected profession, similar to Medical Doctors and Lawyers.

In practice, it only has an impact on plan-signing and insurance, making the market demand for actual Computer Engineers minimal at best.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

seems easy just don't hire a computer engineer to do your structural engineering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i hiored a computer engineer to design my houses network infrastructure and the loving roof caved in. and then i go to check with the negienering office and he's not even certified? wtf???/