Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

gently caress SNEEP posted:

seems easy just don't hire a computer engineer to do your structural engineering

don't hire a QE to do ME work, real simple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

demanding that my friends call me doctor of computer despite the fact that i never do any research or scientific discovery and am in fact a literal conmputer janitor (PhD)

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Doctor Computers sounds like a guy who would post on the video games forum

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

these joist lookin things are definitely what’s blocking the wifi, i’ll cut em away and your speeds should no longer be a worry

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Tarkus posted:

Some of the best engineers I've met were self taught, some of the worst were well papered. Also, in many states and provinces if you call yourself an engineer in any capacity without being a member of the engineering society they will sue you. Even if you don't claim to be an engineer but offer design or advice on an engineering topic they can sue you. That's why we go by the title of designers.

iirc one state got to the point where you probably could've technically gone to jail for operating a ship or train without an ABET-accredited engineering degree and a PE bc you're required to call yourself an engineer in those cases (your license says it and comes from the feds)

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Good Sphere posted:

Learn node.js, and you can get a job that pays 90-135k/year. No stupid math classes required.
Yeah but you need a lot of math classes if you're going to figure out how to invent a time machine that goes back to 2012.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

My work calls me an engineer, to everyone else I shamefully say I'm a programmer and shuffle away before they ask me to fix their laptop

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Tarkus posted:

. Also, in many states and provinces if you call yourself an engineer in any capacity without being a member of the engineering society they will sue you.

What the hell are you on about? If you’re referring to a PE license, this seems to be a gross misrepresentation

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Also it would be great if they licensed software engineers instead of requiring you to study all the college algorithms you learned in college (and only use in college unless you're big brain A CRAB IRL up there) every time you want to apply for a new job

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Bonus licensing would help keep the scrubs out and not dilute the labor market

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

licensincing makes me feel special + powerful

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

demanding that my friends call me doctor of computer despite the fact that i never do any research or scientific discovery and am in fact a literal conmputer janitor (PhD)

doctor diskdrive, m.d.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I'm a DDS (doctor of dumb poo poo)

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Flowers for QAnon posted:

What the hell are you on about? If you’re referring to a PE license, this seems to be a gross misrepresentation

Here, I was looking for a couple of other stories but this one popped up and is quite relevant to the discussion.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/tech-companies-alberta-premier-software-engineer-title-1.6617742

Here's a funny one.

https://www.carscoops.com/2017/04/oregon-man-suing-state-after-being/

This poo poo happens all the time because these organizations have to justify their budgets and continued presence.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

honestly if i was like 20 years old right now i'd go to trade school and become an electrician or welder or something. unless you're a bitch rear end mfer and only want to touch computers

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Flowers for QAnon posted:

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2018/12/federal-judge-finds-state-law-governing-who-is-an-engineer-violates-free-speech.html

This is the comically strict law, where you were only allowed to call yourself an engineer in any context with a PE, it got struck down.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Hell Yeah posted:

honestly if i was like 20 years old right now i'd go to trade school and become an electrician or welder or something. unless you're a bitch rear end mfer and only want to touch computers

I did that and have a comfortable life and a nice house in a good neighborhood and still it's nothing compared to the 22 year old computer toucher DINK couple who bought the house across the street cash for 775k and seem to want for nothing and have no stress and basically exist as a different species where they never have to worry about disability or traveling to job sites or not being able to do the work after a certain age, or the job market drying up, etc.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

slurm posted:

I did that and have a comfortable life and a nice house in a good neighborhood and still it's nothing compared to the 22 year old computer toucher DINK couple who bought the house across the street cash for 775k and seem to want for nothing and have no stress and basically exist as a different species where they never have to worry about disability or traveling to job sites or not being able to do the work after a certain age, or the job market drying up, etc.

eternal damnation awaits them however

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The last page makes me salty. I have a degree in BSE Computer Engineering which is about about VLSI and microprocessors, not programming. The reason it was separated from EECS (electrical engineering and computer science) is because the grad level courses from a masters in CE had far more requirements than the other EECS grads courses. The university decided this was too complicated, and pushed most of those grad courses into their doctorate level courses, and merged the CE degree back into EECS.

They also delisted it from their web site as an engineering degree they offer, meaning anyone who googles the engineering college of my school doesn't even see the degree I have listed there.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

eternal damnation awaits them however

yup. this

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

when i went to school, computer engineering and electrical engineering were basically the same degree, except with electrical you had more elective paths to get into semiconductor design or signals and systems stuff. but you could also graduate EE doing all the digital design and software electives in the CE curriculum. not even sure what the point of CE was as its own subject. it had a tiny amount of overlap with the CS degree, like one course on algorithms, but that was about it.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Why though, the stuff I do doesn't scale, I can only benefit the lives of a few hundreds of thousands of people with the work I do in my career, but if they make iOS or whatever better even a tiny amount the impact they've had across billions of devices is more good than any prior human could've ever dreamed of doing.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

for every software engineer who improves ios a little bit, there are 30 whose only job is to roam from meeting to meeting talking about jira metrics

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Penis hard Definitely

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I still had to lol that one of my senior level classes had us doing commision work for a tiny govt agency and then all getting stiffed because the state govt agency handling IT said "yeah, we're not putting any of that poo poo on our servers lmao"

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bad Purchase posted:

when i went to school, computer engineering and electrical engineering were basically the same degree, except with electrical you had more elective paths to get into semiconductor design or signals and systems stuff. but you could also graduate EE doing all the digital design and software electives in the CE curriculum. not even sure what the point of CE was as its own subject. it had a tiny amount of overlap with the CS degree, like one course on algorithms, but that was about it.

Same. It was all about the course load to get the higher degree titles. I guess later they just decided the distinctions was dumb, which it always kind of was, since there was no separate CE department, just the degree.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

There are a lot of jobs right now particularly in management, HR and technical roles which are over-saturated with deadwood.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Bad Purchase posted:

for every software engineer who improves ios a little bit, there are 30 whose only job is to roam from meeting to meeting talking about jira metrics

That's still cool though, my job provides a vital service to society but also emits lots of CO2, so I feel bad about it, whereas a useless job would be a little better.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Computer programs is stored in the balls

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

I work with thousands of 'engineers' and not one of those motherfuckers can drive a train. Sad.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

pencilhands posted:

Why the gently caress do I need to be an expert in Math and Statistics to get a degree in Comp Sci? This loving poo poo has become unbearable. I'm already 10 years in the undergrad and have only passed half of the subjects which was literally cancer. Average graduation time is 8 years while the minimum time needed is 4. It would take at least 2 more years of non stop studying to finish this poo poo. Why do they make em so hard?

Change major or study more.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Actually better idea, join the army. The 11b is calling you

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I work with thousands of 'engineers' and not one of those motherfuckers can drive a train. Sad.

i sincerely doubt you've given them a chance

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Aramis posted:

For real, if it wasn't for the fact that salaries in these fields are literally half what you can get for Fullstack nonsense in my area, I'd be all over it.

I have seen this some places and it's irritating. I think it's a side effect of a post-venturecapital world. The world needs gizmos more than it needs apps and websites but those are cheaper to make and easier to pitch so that's where the grift happens money goes

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

pencilhands posted:

Why the gently caress do I need to be an expert in Math and Statistics to get a degree in Comp Sci? This loving poo poo has become unbearable. I'm already 10 years in the undergrad and have only passed half of the subjects which was literally cancer. Average graduation time is 8 years while the minimum time needed is 4. It would take at least 2 more years of non stop studying to finish this poo poo. Why do they make em so hard?

I started a 1-year full time programming course two weeks ago, having changed to part time just before it started, having realising the error of my initial over-enthusiasm vs my actual capabilities. And I have just changed my enrolment from a 50% to 25% course load, after realising just how much work is involved. Yeah OP, a Degree course would be a loving lot to learn, you have my sympathies. There's no math and stats in the courses I'm doing or the Diploma course after it, mercifully. Thoughts and prayers.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Should go back to punch cards imo

BRICKFACE
Apr 20, 2002

I BITE
full disclosure I started a CS master's (a good program) after already having worked as a full-time SWE for years (and having programmed in various capacities for ~20) and I quit the program after a year because my daily work involved better problems than what I was learning in classes. also I was sick of 100 hour school+job weeks.

... which is *not* to say I wouldn't have eventually learned some really amazing things in class: I was looking forward to some of the advanced algorithms classes and concurrency design that I just don't get much opportunity to do on a daily basis. and maybe it would have opened up different job opportunities for me, who knows.

it's not that the CS degrees are worthless: the things they were teaching were definitely valid and I *do* wish I had had access to those classes two decades ago rather than having to figure poo poo out by reverse-engineering it or reading paper after paper without any guidance

the point is I think the kind of people who really want to write software--and who will do it well--are going to write good software irrespective of having been formally taught. the best staff engineers I've worked with have been trained music composers, or architects, and yes many CS people, some with PhDs, but more of a mix of backgrounds than you might expect. you really have to love this poo poo to do it every day and to keep working on harder and harder problems, and I don't think a CS program can instill that in you.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

To be honest just don't even bother at this point Elon is going to fire us all and the gold rush is over best to learn a trade

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
As an EE student in college I can say we would point and laugh at roommates and friends in other degrees that whined about statistics. I know that is an elitist and snobbish thing to say, but it was true. I mean, I helped them with their homework and such, but goddamn if it didn't feel like holding the hand of a 12 year old.

My sincere answer to the OP is to get in study groups. Literally meeting in person at the library and spreading out text books, papers, and I imagine laptops and such nowadays makes the studying really sink in. You're essentially copying each others homework, but it massively reinforces the lessons from the day when you're working together with other people.

Internetjack fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Smugworth posted:

To be honest just don't even bother at this point Elon is going to fire us all and the gold rush is over best to learn a trade

Your job is recession proof, the average salary is like in the 300s, everyone laid off just gets hired again the next day at a level up