Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The only license worth having is a forklift license

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

What about a licence to kill?! Huh? Wise guy

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

I have a license to kill people with forklifts

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

A CRAB IRL posted:

I have a license to kill people with forklifts

Gotta recertify after each kill, but that only makes your forklift skillz better

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

I've been using "I'm only one semester away from finishing my CS degree, I swear" to get jobs for 5 years because I don't want to take a calculus class. Hasn't held my career back tbh.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

Prettz posted:

I ended up in web development

Namaste

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

The Butcher posted:

Oh look I'm the magic man who makes the computers go again. Wow. Now I'll read the internet until I'm allowed to leave this horrible office and go commute on the horrible highway.

Honestly digging ditches or equiv is much better. Burn enough calories to eat whatever the gently caress you want for dinner.

Done with loving office work.

two chicks at the same time, man

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

slurm posted:

I did that and have a comfortable life and a nice house in a good neighborhood and still it's nothing compared to the 22 year old computer toucher DINK couple who bought the house across the street cash for 775k and seem to want for nothing and have no stress and basically exist as a different species where they never have to worry about disability or traveling to job sites or not being able to do the work after a certain age, or the job market drying up, etc.
you can probably ask 2026’s version of ChatGPT to do their job, and it’ll do it basically for free

the trades are the new hotness, at least until robotics catches up

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
TLDR: in my opinion and experience you don't need a CS degree but it's going to be a much longer journey to "good" money and you're going to have to eat some humble pie and do some pretty junior jobs to prove yourself.

At 38 I part own two companies, I've built software for a global manufacturing conglomerate, been CTO for a regional airline, and designed warehouse picking/packing algorithms for e-commerce that are still being used 10 years after I left. I'm not on six figures, but we're comfortable, we have a house and nice vacations and we generally live well. We could pay ourselves more but instead use the money to keep more people employed and pay for good benefits and salaries.

I am a highschool dropout. I left school at 15 and started working, sometimes working as an electrician and a mechanics apprentice, but always loving about with websites and stuff until 17/18yo I got a junior dev position in a local firm making ASP sites for local business and provincial government. I always made sure to be testing out the latest frameworks and design patterns though.

The most valuable part of my resume was volunteering for a local charity which had a programme abroad. I used an early version of ruby on rails to transform their data gathering/input/reporting and it was so wildly successful I ended up writing the final project report and presenting it to the UNDP and Government instead of of the project leads.

This, in a round about way, got me in the door as a junior dev at an e-commerce company when I got home. I went in as a junior and went all out learning the language and framework in my first year, learning by making as many little quality of life improvements for as many of the users as possible.

This made a great impression and I quickly became the guy for process and UI. I left after 5 successful years and started my own consultant company and 10 years later, with some ups and downs, I'm where I am now.

Throughout my career I have been pretty consistently level with, or ahead of, my friends who spent the time to get qualified. Of my friends who did comp sci only one of them is actually doing comp sci, running heavy analysis on stats for a huge e-gambling company.

Of the new CS grads I've worked with they were a blessing and a curse in a production dev environment because CS would give you an amazing grounding in the platonic computer concepts and algorithms etc, but the course didn't seem to teach them anything about the industry or actually producing code, releasing features in a commercial environment.

By that I mean they would sometimes be prone to over-engineering features and making a meal out of jobs in an attempt to write beautiful, highly extensible code rather than getting something functional released. Sometimes though you had a meaty data/optimisation/reporting back end job and they are practically magicians.

I loving hate computers, my brain is just good at them and I wish I'd been a carpenter or electrician or something but I guess I've sort of made the best of it.

I'm doing a 5 day vocational course in historic live oak timber framing next month.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm gonna be honest very little of computer science is actually science and the name is stupid. Just call it informatics like the rest of the world. Like, have you ever wondered why there is no Nobel price in computer science? Yeah, that's right

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Rahu posted:

Imo it is pretty hosed up that computer science has nothing to do with science and very little to do with computers.

Science really lost it's pizazz once they made economics one

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Computer science is a science :mad:

Not that computer touchers use that science. Just like how biology is a science but marine biologists just jerk off dolphins all day

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
“I’m doing science!”

*fap fap fap*

*flipper noises*

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Is there any greater joy than hearing the pleasured chitters of a dolphin? I think not.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

The bulk of what's taught in CS/CE courses is unnecessary for most programming jobs, but it certainly is for those that I'm even remotely interested in.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Do you know what they do to engineers when they turn 40?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTnG3pCiP7s

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

Aramis posted:

The bulk of what's taught in CS/CE courses is unnecessary for most programming jobs, but it certainly is for those that I'm even remotely interested in.

This is fundamentally my problem, I'm not interested in "fix thing for big enterprise CRM system" jobs or "put new GUI on API" or "integrate thing" jobs, I only like working on R&D or actual CS style problems and those are maybe 1-2% of product / engineering jobs

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

A CRAB IRL posted:

This is fundamentally my problem, I'm not interested in "fix thing for big enterprise CRM system" jobs or "put new GUI on API" or "integrate thing" jobs, I only like working on R&D or actual CS style problems and those are maybe 1-2% of product / engineering jobs
If our whole computer infrastructure/ecosystem situation wasn’t as hosed up as it is, there’s be maybe 10% of the jobs there are.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It's not so much that Computer Science itself is cancer as the smug egos you often see in the IT and CS industry are cancer.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lol why take statistics when you could take Latin? :viggo:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

It's not so much that Computer Science itself is cancer as the smug egos you often see in the IT and CS industry are cancer.

Ego gets you promoted actually

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Actionscript 2 is better than Actionscript 3. What's that? Actionscript is no longer relevant? You're saying flash isn't a thing anymore? Impossible.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Smugworth posted:

Ego gets you promoted actually

Management is the only cancer bigger than computers

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Years ago I was looking at all sorts of online degrees for trying to finish a Bachelor's degree and I came to find out there were quite a few schools that offered programs for 'computers science'-type fields that more or less warned you in advance, "This degree will prepare you to take courses at community colleges and technical schools for learning computer systems and gaining certifications for future employment."

One school had a ton of online degrees revolving around the CS-related fields that were all separated by just one or two classes, it seemed, with the same, "There is practically zero CS, programming, etc. type courses in any of these majors."

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

Science really lost it's pizazz once they made economics one

Peace and Literature though, those are the real sciences.

tbf the economics prize isn't actually offered by the Nobel committee it was just some banks or whatever and they chose to call it that. So any Economics Nobel laureate is a fraud.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

Management is the only cancer bigger than computers

what about cancer (disease edition)

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

it has always made me laugh really hard that all my coworkers have CS degrees and huge student loans but we have the same jobs and make the same lmao

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

mst4k posted:

it has always made me laugh really hard that all my coworkers have CS degrees and huge student loans but we have the same jobs and make the same lmao

A lot of companies outside of Silicon Valley want that paper that says that you're willing to grind through hours of tedious busywork

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

cat botherer posted:

If our whole computer infrastructure/ecosystem situation wasn’t as hosed up as it is, there’s be maybe 10% of the jobs there are.
hosed up enterprise systems must expand to meet the needs of the hosed up enterprise systems

honestly 90% of my days I sign off and wonder how the hell anything works at all, like we literally restrict things to some MBA's idea of least-privileged access for no actual security reason and then build wrappers of broken automation supported by teams of offshore folks to automate around the restrictions. then nobody can do anything because endgame of "least-privileged access" as envisioned by grifters leaves every function supported by and restricted to a different person who is too busy not being able to get poo poo done to perform or explain that function for anybody

386-SX 25Mhz VGA fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 25, 2023

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
The secret is that the 1 guy still alive when he wrote it in the 90's knows he cannot be touched.

Fire me? Cool, you know my phone number, lets talk in, hmm... about a week or so. Later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

cat botherer posted:

Ya I'm not saying it's bad (in that respect) just that, as an arbitrary example, doing integrations between Workday and SAP or Salesforce and a bank or whatever is basically my idea of hell

Which of course leads to all these IPaaS / fintech services that give you that as a single API / interface layer, and so the horrible wheel keeps spinning