Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i took arabic for two semesters

i don’t remember very much of it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
e: wrong thread

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

bob dobbs is dead posted:

... ancient and lots of informal hebrew... classical and standard arabic before the diacritic standardizations and in lots of informal writing....

ancient hebrew does have vowels (under the letters), informal not so much and gets very confusing to read (although i have an approximately 5 word hebrew vocabulary, still, the sounds are completely different)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
niqqud were invented 1st millennium ad

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

niqqud were invented 1st millennium ad

thats still pretty old bob.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
why i said ancient and not medieval

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Shame Boy posted:

i think you got beat to the punch by like 5000 years cuz that's how egyptian hieroglyphics work

👁️ 🤔🫵👍

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cold on a Cob posted:

h shld drp vwls ntrly nxt

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Cold on a Cob posted:

👁️ 🤔🫵👍

👁 agree

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
hmm wait now we've got a symbol that means eye the organ and also means i the person, that's confusing. uh maybe i'll put a little drawing of a person next to the symbol to clarify.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

this was one of my first custom titles

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Captain Foo posted:

this was one of my first custom titles
i remember :glomp:

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

mystes posted:

Yeah I'm sure that's a thing but at least reddit hasn't been dumb enough to try to hasten their demise by doing that themselves

They let karma harvesting bots run wild because they drove engagement the same way wizard master and pencil hands do.

But the vast majority of those accounts are sold off to various marketeers and propagandists and they knew it and never even bothered with easy stuff like banning people who have an outrageous AITAH submission every week and never respond to a single comment.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Internet Old One posted:

they drove engagement the same way wizard master and pencil hands do.

what?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

y'know, ol' wizard master and pencil hands

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
gbs posters

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

actually i'm just gonna assume they were like, famous reddit perverts or something, cuz every time someone's mentioned a reddit user i'm just supposed to know by name i looked it up and they're a famous reddit pervert

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Internet Old One posted:

they knew it and never even bothered with easy stuff like banning people who have an outrageous AITAH submission every week

huh?

Almost Important Thought About Helicopters?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

my version's better :colbert:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

"am i the rear end in a top hat", a subreddit where everything is made up and the question doesn't matter (cuz it's always yes)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Shame Boy posted:

"am i the rear end in a top hat", a subreddit where everything is made up and the question doesn't matter (cuz it's always yes)

oh i like the helicopter one better

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Wizard Master and Pencilhands provide random topics for us to talk about. We pretend to hate it while we have a 10 page discussion about getting the key to the city.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Internet Old One posted:

Wizard Master and Pencilhands provide random topics for us to talk about. We pretend to hate it while we have a 10 page discussion about getting the key to the city.

so they are reddit superstars or something?

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Beeftweeter posted:

so they are reddit superstars or something?

They're GBS superstars who turn their every stray thought and highdea into a thread.
They're arguably low quality posts but actually they generate a lot of decent discussion.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Internet Old One posted:

They're GBS superstars who turn their every stray thought and highdea into a thread.
They're arguably low quality posts but actually they generate a lot of decent discussion.

oh, so fart simpson, or previously echinopsis but for gbs

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

hahah

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

lmao this rocks, tech fuckers can't help but fail upward

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

post the dotcom bust there were all these netscape alumni floating around and they loved to tell war stories and I really had to bite my tongue because they basically made the worst web browser ever and all their subsequent products were complete failures and then they stopped existing in under a decade, like what exactly are we supposed to be learning from your wisdom here

I bet whoever negotiated the time warner deal had some good tips but the product folks?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

qirex posted:

post the dotcom bust there were all these netscape alumni floating around and they loved to tell war stories and I really had to bite my tongue because they basically made the worst web browser ever and all their subsequent products were complete failures and then they stopped existing in under a decade, like what exactly are we supposed to be learning from your wisdom here

I bet whoever negotiated the time warner deal had some good tips but the product folks?

arent there netscape alumni in this thread

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Not a Children posted:

lmao this rocks, tech fuckers can't help but fail upward

google 5th column imo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it is amazing how efficiently hires from big name companies can just wreck a whole team/division

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

google 5th column imo

lol as if

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

braindead career middle managers are actually secret saboteurs trying to take things down from within :smug:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

eh

like idk anything about that dude or whatever but I absolutely believe that theres a whole lotta back room shenanigans going on in SV upper management circles and its not all about insider trading

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

arent there netscape alumni in this thread

i don't think subjunctive hangs out in this thread if that's who you mean

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Molly got it
https://twitter.com/molly0xfff/status/1780602218011599228

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Pulcinella posted:

Or people with super low effort posts farming karma to then sell the account to someone looking to do the first thing.
one actual good thing came out of Slashdot's karma system: after a few users were very clearly gaming the system, the code was changed so that your karma number was hidden, and possibly capped, so all users would see was like "negative, neutral, positive", or similar.

like even a dummy like CmdrTaco figured it out over the course of half a year lol

e: but like all of these idiots, he never took into account that people would immediately game the system. the hubris of "well, everyone will behave with pure logic, therefore we don't have to account for bad actors"

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 18, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

Google is combining its Android and hardware teams — and it’s all about AI

quote:

Under Rick Osterloh, a new platforms and devices team will be dedicated to bringing AI to your phone, your TV, and everything else that runs Android.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

qirex posted:

pmarca is still a plague upon this land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

shes right