Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
used to be one could just feel inadequate sometimes. now they've got the lack of likes on their latest tiktok dance video to prove it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fart simpson posted:

well yes i think he’s partially correct

same, i think you and i are probably more ideologically aligned than bob and i. but he's not entirely wrong

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
"this tiktok ban is stupid"

oh yuou think so? the nature of man is conflict - in a word, war. to get some perspective, lets go back 2000 years into the past, of humanity-

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

personally i’m for the tiktok ban, because i personally do not like the site

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

mila kunis posted:

oh yuou think so? the nature of man is conflict - in a word, war. to get some perspective, lets go back 2000 years into the past, of humanity-

this but unironically

divestment now, missiles in 5 years prolly

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

mila kunis posted:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mila kunis posted:

lol

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

this but unironically

divestment now, missiles in 5 years prolly

brb goona buy some lockheed martin and raytheon shares

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Eeyo posted:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Eeyo posted:

it won't be banned, there will almost certainly be a forced sale to some huge american tech company. probably oracle since they already have their claws into it

but the upshot is that oracle will almost certainly ruin it, so

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i for one hope they don't sell and just leave the US market entirely

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

all windows on arm needs to do is render web pages quickly, and with low power consumption

oh, is that all?

have you looked at webpages recently?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
windows phone was win 10 arm and it ran great even on a piece of poo poo snapdragon.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

dioxazine posted:

i hope they stay in the us market and senators continue to get mad about teens talking about the genocide in gaza

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mila kunis posted:

i hope they stay in the us market and senators continue to get mad about teens talking about the genocide in gaza

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
it's very funny to imagine oracle running a social network for teens

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

i wouldn't be surprised if ms starts their own cpu design team. seems like that's the direction most of the industry is headed in anyway, amazon has one, google has one, meta has one, and of course so does apple, etc.

it'd help them get a leg up with xbox even. of course their biggest rivals there, sony and nintendo, also have their own experience with processor design, but not anytime in the past ~25 years lol

this is a touch misleading because “cpu design team” can basically mean “arranging ip cores exactly the way you want” or it can be what apple is doing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

nrook posted:

it's very funny to imagine oracle running a social network for teens

imagine the subscription options

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

oh, is that all?

have you looked at webpages recently?

this pisses me off constantly. i've got a iphone 8 and loading a recipe website drains the battery 5% a minute and makes it hot

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

hobbesmaster posted:

this is a touch misleading because “cpu design team” can basically mean “arranging ip cores exactly the way you want” or it can be what apple is doing

i suppose so, although it's kind of a "six of one, half a dozen of the other" kind of thing. you don't get much wiggle room when it's licensing ip cores, although having a large-ish team that has been doing cpus for decades as apple has certainly yields decent results. but MS has a market cap that's almost a trillion dollars more than apple's now, they can afford it

hell they could probably just buy qualcomm

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

mila kunis posted:

that is one very good bright side, but with oracle in charge that would be doubtful.

i'm mostly viewing it from the viewpoint that americans deserve facebook and twitter

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mila kunis posted:

also this

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

i wouldn't be surprised if ms starts their own cpu design team. seems like that's the direction most of the industry is headed in anyway, amazon has one, google has one, meta has one, and of course so does apple, etc.

it'd help them get a leg up with xbox even. of course their biggest rivals there, sony and nintendo, also have their own experience with processor design, but not anytime in the past ~25 years lol

i am sure microsoft has one asic or other related to the data centers. for putting in a consumer device? nah, i think it is largely a folly to do, and i suspect microsoft still has that particular aspect of their business idea on lock.

i.e., don't give a poo poo who makes the bits where the margins are not. put the basic, your cp/m clone, windows of all flavors on whatever people will pay for. make a unix clone, put together a linux distro, never waver from having office available in as good a form as you can make on the (at many times) also-ran, never know when it'll pay off. the web? think it'll kill your os business? w/e, be first onboard pushing your cash cow apps on there, if people will buy a subscription it's fine that you want to use it on some broken os.

e: sun making a big push for solaris thin clients? lets port internet explorer to solaris. that kind of poo poo.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 24, 2024

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

dioxazine posted:

i hope they don't sell and don't leave the U.S. market

just close down their U.S. offices and corporate entities, fire their U.S. employees and serve all the U.S. bound traffic out of european data centers. technically they'd be in compliance with the law and so would their providers as long as they pick providers that aren't U.S. based (i think? maybe)

if it burns down all the poo poo tier european cloud providers like OVH and hetzner and congests the gently caress out of all the transatlantic transit capacity... ok, who cares? it'd be like any given day on the internet in east asia

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

shackleford posted:

i hope they don't sell and don't leave the U.S. market

just close down their U.S. offices and corporate entities, fire their U.S. employees and serve all the U.S. bound traffic out of european data centers. technically they'd be in compliance with the law and so would their providers as long as they pick providers that aren't U.S. based (i think? maybe)

if it burns down all the poo poo tier european cloud providers like OVH and hetzner and congests the gently caress out of all the transatlantic transit capacity... ok, who cares? it'd be like any given day on the internet in east asia

i like this idea and agree with it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i am sure microsoft has one asic or other related to the data centers. for putting in a consumer device? nah, i think it is largely a folly to do, and i suspect microsoft stil has that particular business idea on lock.

i.e., don't give a poo poo who makes the bits where the margins are not. put the basic, your cp/m clone, windows of all flavors on whatever people will pay for. make a unix clone, put together a linux distro, never waver from having office available in as good a form as you can make on the (at many times) also-ran, never know when it'll pay off.

it's funny, that's basically been their strategy from the start — remember, MS had xenix (and sold it to SCO), dos was a (compatible, even) CP/M clone, and microsoft BASIC was available on pretty much any computer that had a manufacturer willing to work with them to port it. it was only really once windows took off that they started making things exclusive and proprietary to their own platform

but even then the big sellers like office continued to be available on the mac. back when they made that commitment, there was no way they'd make any money on that investment, the mac user base was just too small. but they still did it. hell there was even internet explorer for mac and unix for a while. and even today they're getting very flirty with linux

but yeah i'm sure they do have some custom ASICs around, but no cpu to really call their own (if you can even do that with an arm design). i don't think it'd be as useless in the consumer space as you do (xbox still sells very well), but yeah i'd expect them to target businesses first. consumers aren't what they're chasing anymore

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

it's funny, that's basically been their strategy from the start — remember, MS had xenix (and sold it to SCO), dos was a (compatible, even) CP/M clone, and microsoft BASIC was available on pretty much any computer that had a manufacturer willing to work with them to port it. it was only really once windows took off that they started making things exclusive and proprietary to their own platform

i think you are explaining my post to me here, i indeed am referencing precisely those things. windows pre-nt didn't go on *many* things, but they then had the os/2 play in the wings to go elsewhere, and then once nt rolled around they prepped that to go on *everything* (thinking as most that some risc revolution was happening)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

i suppose so, although it's kind of a "six of one, half a dozen of the other" kind of thing. you don't get much wiggle room when it's licensing ip cores, although having a large-ish team that has been doing cpus for decades as apple has certainly yields decent results. but MS has a market cap that's almost a trillion dollars more than apple's now, they can afford it

hell they could probably just buy qualcomm

just throwing money at designing better application cores doesn’t seem to work

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

i think you are explaining my post to me here, i indeed am referencing precisely those things. windows pre-nt didn't go on *many* things, but they then had the os/2 play in the wings to go elsewhere, and then once nt rolled around they prepped that to go on *everything* (thinking as most that some risc revolution was happening)

i know you were referencing them, i was agreeing with and expanding upon your point lol

but yeah, you're right again, even NT was prepped (and indeed briefly appeared on) a ton of other platforms. they even had an itanium port for a while; now they're getting serious about their ARM port

so it's nothing new, but most of us that aren't hbag-aged already knew that. what would be new is it appearing on (perhaps exclusively, but i doubt that will happen unless it somehow takes off in a way that eclipses the rest of the industry) a microsoft-branded cpu, but again that's just conjecture that may or may not pan out

hobbesmaster posted:

just throwing money at designing better application cores doesn’t seem to work

well, if that's the only trick everyone has up their sleeve then we're pretty hosed (or at least hitting a wall)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

well, if that's the only trick everyone has up their sleeve then we're pretty hosed (or at least hitting a wall)

more itanics!

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

windows phone was win 10 arm and it ran great even on a piece of poo poo snapdragon.

yeah, it ran great away from market relevancy and died

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

3d printing is a good comparison, because the hype and investor case was as stupid, but there's significant and rather interesting use-cases once you get past that.

most of these tech bubble technologies are perfectly valid and useful in their niches. the problem is they don't continue growing infinitely forever, which makes them worthless to the investors that drive all this idiocy. all they're looking for is the next tortilla chip

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 24, 2024

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

most of these tech bubble technologies are perfectly valid and useful in their niches. the problem is they don't continue growing infinitely forever, which makes them worthless to the investors that drive all this idiocy.

that is ideal since i like technology and cool things that do things, but also love seeing investors eat poo poo

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Beeftweeter posted:

but even then the big sellers like office continued to be available on the mac. back when they made that commitment, there was no way they'd make any money on that investment, the mac user base was just too small.
wrong. office on mac was one of their reliable sellers and was always profitable.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

imagine the subscription options
per-core licensing!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Chris Knight posted:

wrong. office on mac was one of their reliable sellers and was always profitable.

the mac business unit as a whole. iirc it was not anywhere near profitable?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
either way their hedge on other platforms today is clearly office online, and they'll probably point to it as justification to discontinue native ports to things that aren't windows

to their credit it does work very well, but it's not even close in functionality

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

the mac business unit as a whole. iirc it was not anywhere near profitable?

i would be unsurprised if it had been profitable always. like, software engineers are kind of expensive, but we're talking some relaxed 9-5 maintainance and iterating on an existing thing, and in this instance a thing that is pretty ubiquitous. it might have sold enough to pay for itself every quarter ever.

and it for sure paid for itself the moment you weigh in keeping people in the fold and the potential for things shifting such that it becomes important (which it rather did, by way of ios, but a mac user getting into ios will have found very little friction being on an office workflow at any point).

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
they had ported a lot more than just office, plus "just office" is a little misleading when they basically had to maintain a port of visual basic for windows that worked natively on mac os with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

most of these tech bubble technologies are perfectly valid and useful in their niches. the problem is they don't continue growing infinitely forever, which makes them worthless to the investors that drive all this idiocy.
yeah, the issue is that none of them became zillion dollar economic engines the way that the pc did in the 1980s (giving us microsoft and dell and apple and compaq and lotus and boosted intel and ibm and hp) and the internet/www did in the 1990s (giving us netscape and amazon and google and ebay and facebook and boosting cisco) and digital media (ipod, itunes, netflix, spotify) and the smartphone (apple again and uber and airbnb and instagram) did in the 2000s

in 2010 you could say "ok thats all good, but what will next engine of growth once the digital media and smartphone/app markets mature and stabilize and consolidate" and the answer would be "well, there are so many interesting new technologies that might be the next big thing - vr/ar/metverse, robotics, drones, quantum computers, self-driving cars, 3d printing, internet of things, personal assistants, ai - that surely one or more of them will take off the way the pc (and internet and smartphone and etc) did in their day!"

except that none of those have taken off. theyve all had huge amounts of r&d money poured into and they have almost no actual products with broad consumer or enterprise adaptation. tech has been a reliable moneymaker for investors for forty years now but unless another hit product category comes along the money people will direct their investment dollars into other fields (like green energy or medtech) and the tech industry will sharply contract for the first time in anyones living memory

every time a previous boom (pc, internet) started to fade there was another boom (like smartphone apps) ready to replace it. but now that the streaming media and smartphone booms have run their course, where is that next big technology to glom onto? the chilling fact is that there doesnt seem to be one, that all the prospective next big things have fizzled (full self driving cars lol)

which is why every single company is hopping onboard the "ai" hype train - because it is the last of the 2010s next big things that still seems to offer some kind of potential for big returns