Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

oh god what is this

quote:

Cogent Communications Holdings, Inc. is planning to offer approximately $206 million in secured IPv4 address revenue term notes through a special-purpose entity. These notes, backed by the company’s IPv4 assets, aim to raise funds for general corporate purposes. The offer targets qualified institutional buyers in the U.S. and certain non-U.S. persons, adhering to specific securities regulations, and will not be publically registered. The company cautions that this offering and associated forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties, and there is no guarantee the sale of the notes will be completed.

mortgage IPv4 backed securities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

shackleford posted:

oh god what is this

thats land too

if its land, it sucks. ordinary dirt land, electromagnetic spectrum, space orbits, ip space, oil / mineral rights, logging rights, fishing rights. all land, and it all sucks

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FMguru posted:

yeah, the issue is that none of them became zillion dollar economic engines the way that the pc did in the 1980s (giving us microsoft and dell and apple and compaq and lotus and boosted intel and ibm and hp) and the internet/www did in the 1990s (giving us netscape and amazon and google and ebay and facebook and boosting cisco) and digital media (ipod, itunes, netflix, spotify) and the smartphone (apple again and uber and airbnb and instagram) did in the 2000s

in 2010 you could say "ok thats all good, but what will next engine of growth once the digital media and smartphone/app markets mature and stabilize and consolidate" and the answer would be "well, there are so many interesting new technologies that might be the next big thing - vr/ar/metverse, robotics, drones, quantum computers, self-driving cars, 3d printing, internet of things, personal assistants, ai - that surely one or more of them will take off the way the pc (and internet and smartphone and etc) did in their day!"

except that none of those have taken off. theyve all had huge amounts of r&d money poured into and they have almost no actual products with broad consumer or enterprise adaptation. tech has been a reliable moneymaker for investors for forty years now but unless another hit product category comes along the money people will direct their investment dollars into other fields (like green energy or medtech) and the tech industry will sharply contract for the first time in anyones living memory

every time a previous boom (pc, internet) started to fade there was another boom (like smartphone apps) ready to replace it. but now that the streaming media and smartphone booms have run their course, where is that next big technology to glom onto? the chilling fact is that there doesnt seem to be one, that all the prospective next big things have fizzled (full self driving cars lol)

which is why every single company is hopping onboard the "ai" hype train - because it is the last of the 2010s next big things that still seems to offer some kind of potential for big returns

yes, welcome the "tech bubble" thread, enjoy lol i kid. good analysis

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

if bitcoin can be valuable just because there's only 21 million of the entirely useless things, imagine how much the only 4.3 billion of *actually* *useful* ipv4 addresses, properly securitized, would be worth

proof of stake already implemented in rfc 792

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

shackleford posted:

oh god what is this

all of the ipv4 addresses have been exhausted, it makes sense that someone would want to sell them. they've become commodities

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

cogent must be looking for some bag holders, then, cause we've already hit peak IPv4 address

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i for one predict only good things will come from this speculative investment opportunity built on the back of a public good vital to modern society

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Shame Boy posted:

i for one predict only good things will come from this speculative investment opportunity built on the back of a public good vital to modern society

mortgages and dirt land will continue to do 3-5 orders of magnitude more damage. perhaps they'll get to within 2 orders of magnitude of oil rights

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
its also worth pointing out that the new new tech ideas from the last ten years (like nfts and crypto/defi) have also been complete duds

but im sure that a spicy autocomplete system that requires burning ten acres of amazon rainforest to hallucinate an invented answer to a simple question will be the trillion-dollar path forward

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Hey thanks for posting this, this was super interesting

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

FMguru posted:

its also worth pointing out that the new new tech ideas from the last ten years (like nfts and crypto/defi) have also been complete duds

but im sure that a spicy autocomplete system that requires burning ten acres of amazon rainforest to hallucinate an invented answer to a simple question will be the trillion-dollar path forward

it could become the next big thing who knows, but i think it’s fair to be a hater and think it’ll fizzle at being the next big thing because the odds are good of that.

of course if i could accurately predict the future i would not be posting on forums.somethingawful.com

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Cold on a Cob posted:

used to be one could just feel inadequate sometimes. now they've got the lack of likes on their latest tiktok dance video to prove it.

i've been shadow banmed because my latest video about my thoughts on a local political issue hasn't gotten a million views yet

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

nrook posted:

it's very funny to imagine oracle running a social network for teens

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

shackleford posted:

oh god what is this

lol

my isp still doesn’t offer ipv6 which is contributing to poo poo like this

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

lol

mine got half way through rolling it out, then decided it was too expensive or something and they didn't actually care so scrapped the whole project and have just been coasting on their old infrastructure for the last 8 years

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

yeah well if you want money from the government you gotta do nothing until it’s a crisis.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

lol

nah consumer ISPs just do CGNAT if they run out because their consumers dont know better enough to care, or have no competitors to turn to if they do. business ISPs cant really do the same when selling to people that want to run internet-facing servers

my ISP "can" do IPv6 but it's all manner of hosed and will do some combination of refusing to delegate a prefix no matter what you request and not sending a router advertisement when they need to half the time, which makes it functionally unusable. idk why google cant get their poo poo together on ipv6 for their consumer networking offerings, it's not like they dont have people that understand ipv6

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
digitalocean load balancers still don't support ipv6

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

i like how angry the turbonerds get when they try to run an IPv6 only DNS resolver and learn the hard way that not every zone has dualstack nameservers

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

nah consumer ISPs just do CGNAT if they run out because their consumers dont know better enough to care, or have no competitors to turn to if they do. business ISPs cant really do the same when selling to people that want to run internet-facing servers

my ISP "can" do IPv6 but it's all manner of hosed and will do some combination of refusing to delegate a prefix no matter what you request and not sending a router advertisement when they need to half the time, which makes it functionally unusable. idk why google cant get their poo poo together on ipv6 for their consumer networking offerings, it's not like they dont have people that understand ipv6

lmao did not know google fiber couldn't do ipv6, but i am in no way surprised they half-rear end implemented it and then probably laid off the team responsible

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

amusingly wireless carriers were some of the first (and only?) to mandate ipv6 and its all behind cgnat anyways

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

you still need to be able to reach IPv4 only content, CGNAT boxes are expensive and the more of your traffic is on IPv6 the less of 'em you need

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i meant in the sense that ipv4 addresses still are so valuable to other businesses because large swaths of the internet are still v4 only, like all of my ISP’s customers, contributing to that demand. not that my isp itself needs more v4 addresses

i can actually pull down up to four separate v4 addresses for free if i want, no cgnat on their network thankfully

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I came to see if someone had already posted this. It's a real good tech bubbly read.

The irony that the person who was in charge of search at Yahoo! (And was so bad at their job Yahoo replaced search with bing) was put in charge of search at Google explains so much.

Google sucks now to find anything useful, and after reading that article it's so obvious why: the more time you spend sifting through poo poo results, the more ads you see, the more revenue Google makes this quarter.

The person in charge of search also pulled this today:

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/04/23/google-search-boss-raghavan-warns-employees-of-new-operating-reality.html

quote:

Raghavan had some tangible changes to announce. He said the company plans to build teams closer to users in key markets, including India and Brazil, and revealed that he’s shortening the amount of time that his reports have to complete certain projects in an effort to move faster.

“There is something to be learned from that faster-twitch, shorter wavelength execution,” he said.

Google’s cloud business has also instructed employees to move within shorter timelines despite having fewer resources after cost cuts

Google is going to be so much shittier in the next few years.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

hell yeah time for some managed decline :cool:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

let's see if they can entice mayer back.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

What if they bring her back to Google in like 5 years to revitalize its dead husk

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

most of these tech bubble technologies are perfectly valid and useful in their niches. the problem is they don't continue growing infinitely forever, which makes them worthless to the investors that drive all this idiocy. all they're looking for is the next tortilla chip

i like tortilla chip

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Google sucks now to find anything useful

entirely untrue. google is by far the best reddit search engine and p decent for stackoverflow

inb4 Raghavan removes the site: operator

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

all the blockchain wankers on LinkedIn have now added "AI" to their job descriptions because "blockchain for business" is basically dead as there was zero real world use case so now we're onto the next grift

oh god lmao but also shameful lack of john madden

speaking of which my wife's lock screen message needs some additional John maddens adding but I don't remember how the gently caress to change it on android which is why she hasn't managed to remove it either

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

all the blockchain wankers on LinkedIn have now added "AI" to their job descriptions because "blockchain for business" is basically dead as there was zero real world use case so now we're onto the next grift

I still see a surprising amount of NFT gaming companies who are hiring.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/04/23/google-search-boss-raghavan-warns-employees-of-new-operating-reality.html

move faster, really break things

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I came to see if someone had already posted this. It's a real good tech bubbly read.

The irony that the person who was in charge of search at Yahoo! (And was so bad at their job Yahoo replaced search with bing) was put in charge of search at Google explains so much.

Google sucks now to find anything useful, and after reading that article it's so obvious why: the more time you spend sifting through poo poo results, the more ads you see, the more revenue Google makes this quarter.

there will be more and it will be worse

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

probably excessively simplified to blame one guy to that extent though. like, article wants to make him out to be a big business guy but his credentials are actually ridiculously good, and it seems to try to make it a pattern that he was head of search at yahoo when his bosses cut a deal with bing instead, with him pressuring the head of search at google with business deal things.

like, i expect he's a shithead and plenty to blame, but no way its quite this simple.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 25, 2024

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

it shouldn’t be surprising. google has simply reached homeostasis alongside the dumpster fire that is the rest of the world.

wallow in brine, goblins be thine :shrug:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

probably excessively simplified to blame one guy to that extent though. like, article wants to make him out to be a big business guy but his credentials are actually ridiculously good, and it seems to try to make it a pattern that he was head of search at yahoo when his bosses cut a deal with bing instead, with him pressuring the head of search at google with business deal things.

like, i expect he's a shithead and plenty to blame, but no way its quite this simple.

i think the claim is that he was asleep at the wheel at yahoo, focusing on the wrong things while the product declined into irrelevancy around him, and he's doing exactly the same thing as google's search product declines into irrelevancy

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jabor posted:

i think the claim is that he was asleep at the wheel at yahoo, focusing on the wrong things while the product declined into irrelevancy around him, and he's doing exactly the same thing as google's search product declines into irrelevancy

except it seems to me that the claim amounts to doing kind of the *opposite* thing while trying to pass that off as a pattern.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

idk man any outsider looking in is gonna notice that the dude was around for both yahoo and google going to poo poo and put two and two together

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

deservedly or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i don't even know what "head of search" does at yahoo when you've basically rented bing results