Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

while eds analysis may be a bit basic, and probably not entirely accurate about Raghavan, he has made the big G upset

https://bsky.app/profile/zitron.bsky.social/post/3kqyf7m7q2l2y

part of my complaints are in that i have a broad suspicion that sundar is the problem. as far as *means* go it is in fact the much simpler explanation.

of course "problem" needs to be carefully understood here since google is just piling up the cash under this regime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

while eds analysis may be a bit basic, and probably not entirely accurate about Raghavan, he has made the big G upset

https://bsky.app/profile/zitron.bsky.social/post/3kqyf7m7q2l2y

If his analysis wasn't based on talking to other google employees and was just based on reading the released emails I honestly wouldn't put much stock in it

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

haveblue posted:

the NHTSA dropped their tesla self-drive investigation and the results should not be surprising to anyone ITT

tldr: not only does it constantly get into accidents, it does a poo poo job of enforcing driver engagement even compared to other cars' assist features

does fool's control still cost $8k or however much a month it was

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zamujasa posted:

does fool's control still cost $8k or however much a month it was

I think it's a one-time $8K fee (down from $14K as of the morning of tesla's last earnings report, which is probably a coincidence)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

part of my complaints are in that i have a broad suspicion that sundar is the problem. as far as *means* go it is in fact the much simpler explanation.

of course "problem" needs to be carefully understood here since google is just piling up the cash under this regime.

yeah every layer of the system tells the layer beneath it "make Number Go Up, now, or you're fired". the specific villain in question is irrelevant.

but if you personify Number Go Up in a specific easy-to-hate villain then it's a lot easy to whip up some righteous rage toward the villain in question, so that's what reliably get clicks. which in turn makes Number Go Up lol.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i think you could pick just about anyone in big tech at Sr. VP level or higher and righteously rage against them

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

just lmao at google

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

haveblue posted:

the NHTSA dropped their tesla self-drive investigation and the results should not be surprising to anyone ITT

tldr: not only does it constantly get into accidents, it does a poo poo job of enforcing driver engagement even compared to other cars' assist features

quote:

“If you’ve got, at scale, a statistically significant amount of data that shows conclusively that the autonomous car has, let’s say, half the accident rate of a human-driven car, I think that’s difficult to ignore,” Musk said. “Because at that point, stopping autonomy means killing people.”

i like how this is phrased as a conditional, because if this data actually existed it wouldn't need to be phrased as a conditional

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also like, NHTSA doesn't even sound like they want him to stop, just to call it something else and implement it better

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
not tech bubble, but maybe a nice saturday morning read about a different idea of what computing could be, from the 90s

a guided tour of magic cap and the history of the interface, devices, and development

quote:

These grabs alone (from a 1993 update video), from the very looks on their faces and the shine in their eyes, show how much they were into it. Details mattered — the user interface considered sound effects as important as graphics — but they never lost sight of the big picture that enjoyment, however that's defined, is as equally essential to the user experience as utility. Really, it was the magicians' enthusiasm for the task, to design a device that would not only transform how people accessed and interacted with information but also a device that they would truly love and enjoy using, that made the company incredibly fascinating to me. You saw that kind of optimistic vision a lot in the earlier days of computing. You don't see it as much now, and there are some very dark patterns today that go exactly in the opposite direction.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
nice! the movie is also good https://www.generalmagicthemovie.com

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
third of those peeps went back to apple and did poo poo there

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

thats a bit of a skeumorphism overdose

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, you can see their influence in the forstall-era apple poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Eeyo posted:

covering your workspace in stamps and stickers like a trapper keeper is something that appeals to me even if i wouldn't actually do it

likewise, the idea of making interfaces that aren't a nightmare to interact with, and products that weren't solely designed to strip mine you for monetizable information

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i like ed even though i agree with all the criticisms here. there is just so little actual meaningful criticism of the tech industry out in the wild.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

covering your workspace in stamps and stickers like a trapper keeper is something that appeals to me even if i wouldn't actually do it

yeah. it is for sure sad that effort spent on customizability, the kind about pure self-expression and fun, has pretty much entirely dried up in tech.

i don't think it is inherent, to some extent the incredible success of apple showed that way, but i think the success of apple is extremely unrelated to hemming in customizability (afaik it was mostly one of jobs' weirder hangups)

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Eeyo posted:

microsoft bob looking rear end pda

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah. it is for sure sad that effort spent on customizability, the kind about pure self-expression and fun, has pretty much entirely dried up in tech.

i think it has, yeah. and the obsession with functionless minimalism hasn't really done us any favours either

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

shackleford posted:

i like how this is phrased as a conditional, because if this data actually existed it wouldn't need to be phrased as a conditional

he said "at scale" indicating a genius mind at work though

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
dude is addicted to adding those weasel phrases. my favorite (cant find it) was 'my predictions are always correct, just not accurate as far as time schedules' or something.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

yeah and stuff like “in the limit”.

legitimately a useful technique to think about problems sometimes, but not when you’re making predictions about self driving or whatever

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

so i heard that ibm is gonna be merging ansible and terraform after the hashicorp merger

gonna call it "terrible"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

shackleford posted:

that's an extremely heavy load bearing "if" he's got there as well

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

"if I had perfectly complete and compelling evidence that I'm right then it would be wrong to stop me" - me, a very smart boy

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
same as the "give me a complete, guaranteed plan to end poverty with this six billion dollars and i'll do it" poo poo.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

outhole surfer posted:

so i heard that ibm is gonna be merging ansible and terraform after the hashicorp merger

gonna call it "terrible"

i actually kind of liked ansible :negative:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I also don’t mind ansible

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

ansible is good

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I had never heard of ansible till this year and I’ve been working with it for a few months and I like ansible.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its the old non-hotness

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Eeyo posted:

just lmao at google

google's ai solution is heavily dependent on python and just this week they fired the python development team and now deepmind is extremely loving pissed because there's no one left to support them for gemini development except a few typescript/javascript engineers that they replaced the team with

so their chatgpt killer is comically kneecapped and basically dead in the water now

lmao at google

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

that's fine they can just rewrite it in full-stack javascript

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Pollyanna posted:

lmao at google

goog leaving their MS era and entering their IBM era

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gooracle

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rotor posted:

goog leaving their MS era and entering their IBM era

going from 11% cloud marketshare to 2% is more realistic than going from 11% to 24%

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

amazon garbage rear end name

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I’ve heard a lot of people saying “goeing” internally

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

nrook posted:

I’ve heard a lot of people saying “goeing” internally

goeing, goeing, gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://newrepublic.com/article/180487/balaji-srinivasan-network-state-plutocrat lol how did i not know about the GRAYS

quote:

“What I’m really calling for is something like tech Zionism,” he said, after comparing his movement to those started by the biblical Abraham, Jesus Christ, Joseph Smith (founder of Mormonism), Theodor Herzl (“spiritual father” of the state of Israel), and Lee Kuan Yew (former authoritarian ruler of Singapore). Balaji then revealed his shocking ideas for a tech-governed city where citizens loyal to tech companies would form a new political tribe clad in gray t-shirts. “And if you see another Gray on the street … you do the nod,” he said, during a four-hour talk on the Moment of Zen podcast. “You’re a fellow Gray.”

The Grays’ shirts would feature “Bitcoin or Elon or other kinds of logos … Y Combinator is a good one for the city of San Francisco in particular.” Grays would also receive special ID cards providing access to exclusive, Gray-controlled sectors of the city. In addition, the Grays would make an alliance with the police department, funding weekly “policeman’s banquets” to win them over.