Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Shame Boy posted:

also i really want him to further elaborate on the "A.I. Flying Spaghetti Monster"

i really dont

if theres one thing thats beaten to death harder than a pro palestine protester, its the flying spaghetti monster meme, and i dont want it to get even worse with ai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

he also thinks that when people in crime films talk about ‘donating to the policeman’s ball’ they are literally talking about funding a sit down dinner event instead of it being a bribe into a slush fund. surely therefore his weekly police dinners are what the boys in blue want.

lol trying to bribe people with more work events

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

EricBauman posted:

i really dont

if theres one thing thats beaten to death harder than a pro palestine protester, its the flying spaghetti monster meme, and i dont want it to get even worse with ai

I think even 4chan weirdos have given up on that poo poo now haven't they?

tk posted:

lol trying to bribe people with more work events

no but it's better food you see!

I think this guy thinks sim city is real and you can just click "increase meals" and your pops will love you

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
“I was going to arrest you but you forcefed me a kilo of lobster every week for the last year so off you go champ.”

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I can’t remember the last time I saw a Flying Spaghetti Monster reference until that post

e: iOS capitalized it lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have a ton more tolerance and respect for people who hold (compassionate) religious views than i did ten years ago. Believe what you want, dont gently caress with anybody over it, totally fine. thats how it is on this bitch of an earth

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I watch A Clockwork Origin more often than I see references to it in the wild

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

i have a ton more tolerance and respect for people who hold (compassionate) religious views than i did ten years ago. Believe what you want, dont gently caress with anybody over it, totally fine. thats how it is on this bitch of an earth
I don't think I've met anyone with what I would describe as compassionate religious views in the last 10 years, so while I agree in theory that it's fine for people to hold non-lovely religious views that they don't inflict on other people, there don't seem to be a terribly large amount of people that describes at least in the US

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if someone holds non-lovely religious views it’s extremely likely you’ll never hear about them

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I know some pretty chill jewish ppl and such. idk

e: i of course know a couple lovely ones

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah compassionate religious people don’t volunteer it, they just… act compassionate and don’t give a reason because that’s what compassion means

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

haveblue posted:

I can’t remember the last time I saw a Flying Spaghetti Monster reference until that post

e: iOS capitalized it lol

Remember the lore? Something about a volcano and a stripper factory.
Anyhow it was pretty funny back in the day. Simpler times.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

qirex posted:

if someone holds non-lovely religious views it’s extremely likely you’ll never hear about them

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I think even 4chan weirdos have given up on that poo poo now haven't they?

no but it's better food you see!

I think this guy thinks sim city is real and you can just click "increase meals" and your pops will love you

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

so literally a technofascist

i see he has multiple degrees from stanford. we really should just irradiate that whole place, i think that's a plan he'd be on board with too (except if you evacuate it first, i guess)

e: which we should do, obviously

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 29, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they got pluteschool east too. and euro pluteschool, and each of the east asian nations have got their own pluteschool. pluteschools all over

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah well stanford seems to be minting an impressive, unique amount of completely loving sociopathic technofascists that somehow keep winding up in positions of power despite being dumber than a sack of rocks

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i tend to think it's more of a thing about differential Posting energy than about actual differential plutocratic poo poo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
seriously, someone should do a study. seems like instruction at stanford in the late 80s to mid 90s has inflicted more damage upon society than any other "pluteschool", even yale

e: hmm maybe a bit longer of a timespan than that. i was thinking we've got a couple of high profile sociopaths that graduated later i suppose (elizabeth holmes, maybe the gray nazi? idk), plus that kind of poo poo is probably kinda perpetual anyway what with legacy students and faculty

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 29, 2024

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

mandatory random admissions to all private schools.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Eeyo posted:

mandatory random admissions to all private schools.

so charter schools basically?

make all private schools public

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

yeah i guess that’s better. just slosh around their endowments, it’s not like they’re doing any good

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they got pluteschool east too. and euro pluteschool, and each of the east asian nations have got their own pluteschool. pluteschools all over

mmm

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah well stanford seems to be minting an impressive, unique amount of completely loving sociopathic technofascists that somehow keep winding up in positions of power despite being dumber than a sack of rocks

it sounds like you wanna read Palo Alto by Malcolm Harris. did you know Silicon Valley was developed by MIC guys? did you know that one of the creators of transistors was a eugenicist? and that Stanford has a really dark history? check it out

edit: as a midwestern kid who grew up in Alameda for a few years, I considered applying, probably hopelessly, to Stanford. when my family took a trip out to the west coast to check out some schools, we immediately noticed the students took themselves way too seriously. I scratched them off the list shortly after. total clowns

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 29, 2024

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Enderzero posted:

it sounds like you wanna read Palo Alto by Malcolm Harris. did you know Silicon Valley was developed by MIC guys? did you know that one of the creators of transistors was a eugenicist? and that Stanford has a really dark history? check it out

i knew all those things, what do i get

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

really though anyone who hasn't should read up on William Shockley because he was fascinatingly psycho

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
shockley being a vicious bastard is why there's a silicon valley of multiple companies in the first place

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Shame Boy posted:

i knew all those things, what do i get

a lifetime of doubt and constant internal nagging that the popular thing will turn out to be evil!

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

bob dobbs is dead posted:

shockley being a vicious bastard is why there's a silicon valley of multiple companies in the first place

yeah, I’m lucky that the school I ended up at due to lines drawn on a map had Bardeen instead

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Enderzero posted:

edit: as a midwestern kid who grew up in Alameda for a few years, I considered applying, probably hopelessly, to Stanford. when my family took a trip out to the west coast to check out some schools, we immediately noticed the students took themselves way too seriously. I scratched them off the list shortly after. total clowns

yeah i knew all that. what else is in it

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah i knew all that. what else is in it

lots of other good poo poo, I was just skimming off the cream. it goes into depth about how much what happened out there ended up affecting everything else.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Enderzero posted:

lots of other good poo poo, I was just skimming off the cream. it goes into depth about how much what happened out there ended up affecting everything else.

beeftweeter is lactose intolerant

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Enderzero posted:

hmm i will check it out

i mean, i made that post being aware of all of that poo poo, stanford seems like it's had outsized influence on american (and therefore global, eventually) society. on one hand that wasn't all bad and we indisputably got a lot of genuinely useful poo poo out of it, but on the other they have been huffing their own farts for probably 25-ish of the past 50 years and the result is a bunch of technofascist grifters that got into positions of power by parlaying their stanford degree

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Enderzero posted:

I put it on my list but I'd like a recommendation from someone on a really cool book about computer tech in the 90s. I read that article posted here about General Magic and the weird little products they made and that was really interesting, things were so much more positive back then and there was at least a plausible narrative that tech might actually do all the incredible empowering things we promised it would.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Stanford has a lot of influence but they're not the most influential school. they just have the postingest grads

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Beeftweeter posted:

seriously, someone should do a study. seems like instruction at stanford in the late 80s to mid 90s has inflicted more damage upon society than any other "pluteschool", even yale

e: hmm maybe a bit longer of a timespan than that. i was thinking we've got a couple of high profile sociopaths that graduated later i suppose (elizabeth holmes, maybe the gray nazi? idk), plus that kind of poo poo is probably kinda perpetual anyway what with legacy students and faculty

my engineering program emphasized the need for well rounded engineers and said that's why we had to take a lot of classes on other topics like philosophy or creative writing. even at the time i appreciated it but sort of felt cynical about the whole thing because i thought they were just milking more credits out of us

turns out that's not true because they've always had the curriculum set up this way even before tuition costs went through the roof. but also i'm appreciating them keeping their eye on the whole 'liberal art' ball because hoo boy

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

also i've told this story a bunch of times but i've worked with a stanford guy once. never in my career have i seen such a wide gap between how full of themselves someone can be and their actual skill. dude was straight up worthless but man he wore his disdain of having to work with lowly state school plebs like myself on his sleeve

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

courtesy of the c-spam capitalism.png thread, a tech bubble idea so insane we'd never have managed to imagine it for the yospos startups thread:

mawarannahr posted:

I got an ad for a $165 shower head with a subscription filter program
The Filtered Shower Head | Protect Your Hair & Skin

quote:

Filtering your shower water with Jolie is clinically-proven to reduce hair shedding.
We chlorinate our water across nearly every water system to disinfect and kill bacteria such as e.coli (definitely don't want that!), but that chlorine doesn't need to be there when we shower.

The Jolie Filtered Showerhead contains a proprietary filter that sits inside the 'neck' of your Jolie. These can be purchased individually, but we also offer them on subscription, so you don't need to remember when to order & change your filter.

Join the thousands of Jolie customers that opt for the Replacement Filter Subscription and get your Jolie for $148, instead of $165.

Changing your filter, by the way, is soooo intuitive, you won't even need instructions.

Who likes dull pressure? No one.

love to pay to shower in my own home.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ADINSX posted:

I put it on my list but I'd like a recommendation from someone on a really cool book about computer tech in the 90s. I read that article posted here about General Magic and the weird little products they made and that was really interesting, things were so much more positive back then and there was at least a plausible narrative that tech might actually do all the incredible empowering things we promised it would.

it saddens me to see the kind of techno optimism we had in the 80s and 90s compared to a lot of what we've actually built in the last 30 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
we realized the dream of the network computer and pervasive access to information and the result is you can rent access to your data in perpetuity and it will be used to monetize you as a human being