Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoner Sloth

am hoping that 'haunted' doesn't have to mean supernatural!

OFFICIAL SUBMISSION

This is the last known footage of the Lusitania, one of the great Olympic class vessels of the Cunard line. On the 7th of May, 1915, she was nearing Liverpool travelling from New York with 1266 passengers and 696 crew aboard when the German U-Boat, U-20, fired a single torpedo into the starboard bow just beneath the wheelhouse. Within moments a second explosion occurred and the ship began to founder and list to the starboard side.

The crew quickly scrambled to launch the lifeboats but the extreme list and circumstances aboard the vessel meant that only 6 out of the 48 life boats on board were able to be launched. 18 minutes after the ship was struck she went under, the tall funnels and masts being the last to disappear below the waves. Of the 1962 passengers and crew aboard 1198 lost their lives. A further 3 would go on to perish from their injuries.

Sadly this was just a preview of the tragedies to come, the sinking of the Lusitania started a growing movement to intervene in the war in Europe and led directly to the US joining the first world war two years later after supported had reached critical levels stemming from the outrage of this act. Not only can a direct line be drawn between this photo and the loss of 1,201 of those who travelled aboard but also in a very real sense between all the lives lost by and to US forces in WW1.

Moreover the peace that would follow, in the shadow of the punitive Treaty of Versailles, would lead directly to the even greater horrors of World War Two and presaged US involvement both in that and in the Cold War that lay beyond it. This photo then represents the ghosts of those who perished in a century of horrors - this last moment of innocent naivete, gilded and extravagant privilege, and blissful, optimistic ignorance of a lost age. All too soon to be washed away and submerged beneath a tidal wave of blood and suffering which had no equal in human history.

If any picture can be said to be haunted, or haunting, it is this one. Thank you for your consideration of this entry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoner Sloth

Manifisto posted:

agreed, you have about 300% more ghosts in your image than anyone else!

objection!

those aren't real ghosts which, as we all know, don't show up on camera - hence there were millions of ghosts in my image, the spooky bit is you can't see them!

Stoner Sloth

Rarity posted:

They are metaphorical representations of the countless spirits resting as denizens of the depths

well yeah obviously but i got that plus ww1, ww2, whole 20th century baby and not just the ones at sea - it's a ghostravaganza!

Stoner Sloth

lol seriously well played everyone and barnold definitely deserved a bonus for hammock catte

Stoner Sloth

OFFICIAL SUBMISSION

alright now it took me awhile to find this one mate, and as you'll clearly see i've gone to a lot of trouble to take just the perfect photo of it to really capture the special qualities of it. it was hard work to get the lightning effect just right to decorate it but i think the results speak for themselves

Stoner Sloth

Manifisto posted:

lol somehow I knew . . . I just knew . . . this was coming

well you know what they say, great minds think alike and i knew our wise, humble, handsome Taskmaster would demand nothing but the best and that in their wisdom would likely want to give a high score and maybe even bonus points to avoid an international incident over denigrating ar National Rock :australia:

Stoner Sloth

OFFICIAL SUBMISSION

now you might think i've created quite a problem for myself here. you might think that indeed.

okay i probably have since first i'd have a lot of trouble shifting my rock and secondly, and more importantly, it would be a complete Australian Word of a move because Uluru is sacred to the Pitjantjatjara people of the area (Anangu in their language). so first i'll tell you a little about the rock while i think of how i'm going to accomplish this - it's a 348 meter tall sandstone formation and measures about 9 and a half kilometers around its perimeter.

it famously is red coloured to the presence of a large amount of iron oxide, it's also well known to change colour with the light leading to some pretty amazing photos. it's particularly spectactular at dawn and sunset, glowing a vibrant red. we know that people have been living around there for at least 10,000 years and probably much, much longer and they have many Dreamtime stories related to it though for the sake of brevity i'll leave that to the reader's own ability to find.

now while i've had you distracted telling you a little bit about my rock, i put in a few calls and was able to get this photo of where i left it - i think you'll agree it's a great shot...

.. taken from freakin' space!! :hellyeah: i think you'll agree that i've gone to a lot of effort to get this spectacular placement of my rock as well as highlighting it with a special light show and i clearly deserve to win

Stoner Sloth

if anyone feels my rock might be a little bending of the rules, i'd ask that it be taken into account that it was pitch black outside when it was time to find a rock and also my rock is the only one that can be seen... from freaking space!! :hellyeah:

Stoner Sloth

wow so uh tens of thousands of years of Australia history is worth two points less than gluing some googly eyes onto a rock and sticking it in front of a castle (which there's like what, 1 castle per 100 square cubits in the UK?)

but since we've been robbed here, let me just share with you one more thing about Uluru:

it's long been associated with a curse with those who feel they've stolen from the sacred rock suffering misfortunes ranging from kangaroos repeatedly throwing themselves in front of the person's landrover to unspecified disasters of all kinds. so much so that about 365 packages of stolen rocks from around Uluru are returned at great expense every year by people trying to rid themselves of 'The Curse of the Rock' - one person even going to the trouble of having a 35 kilogram slab of rock put back at vast expense to try and rid themselves of the bad luck they'd incurred by disrespecting Uluru.

just saying... it's not too late to hand out some bonus points and make amends :kiddo:

Stoner Sloth

i didn't make this up for the competition by the way, a quick google will reveal many results but i'm sure we're not the superstitious types here and our noble Taskmaster(s) will make the right decision... if it were me i'd prudently not want to take the risk of such a curse but I'm sure they're made of stronger stuff.

what's that? no no, i'm find standing over here - less risk of highly improbably lightning strikes..

Stoner Sloth

Charles Bukowski posted:

While I am respectful of other cultures and your threats of curses, I think this time your submission just wasn't zesty enough to impress our artbitrary judge(s). Maybe next time you could destroy part of your walkway like I did? No wait that's like exactly the opposite of the lesson of the Uluru you're trying to get across, shoot.

far be it from me to threaten anyone, i am sure our Taskmasters are above such things, but i'm not even arguing the point about the fact I got NASA to take a photo (from freakin' space no less) which also shows an aurora. and let me tell you buddy, they were not easy to convince! i had to tell them it was for the sake of BYOB

i'm just saying that people have driven literally thousands of kilometers to try and rid themselves of The Curse... what people choose to do with that information is up to them :angel:

Stoner Sloth

bonus points for trying to protect our brave Taskmaster from the cursed forces that might otherwise bedevil them are also acceptable!

Stoner Sloth

heck i don't want anything to bedevil our dear Taskmaster!

Stoner Sloth

looking at the form that says 'bedevil Taskmaster?' and simply refusing to tick that box

Stoner Sloth

anyway bedevil(ing?ry?try?) aside, i thought that everyone did a great job with their rocks even if ar National Rock did get short shrift (curse worthy short shrift? who is to say! :iit:

Stoner Sloth

your friend sk posted:

are you trying to put a curse on the taskmaster?? blasphemous

quite the opposite friend, i'm trying to save them from curses which are said to bedevil those who disturb the sacred forces of Uluru - i love our Taskmaster and wouldn't want anything... unfortunate... to happen to them!

Stoner Sloth

lol you know when a word gets stuck in your brain 'bedevil' has gotten firmly lodged there... an early warning sign of a terrible curse taking place? who can say??

Stoner Sloth

i can be your bedevil :twisted: or your little beangle :angel:

Stoner Sloth

Charles Bukowski posted:

There's something about you tonight Sloth, I just can't put my finger on it. Some strange, zesty attitude.

that's just my radical, charismatic, bedevil-may-care aussie charm :australia:

Stoner Sloth

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

be devil? or bed evil???

better bedevil the bed evil you know

Stoner Sloth

Charles Bukowski posted:

Yeah otherwise Sloth spamming this own thread with bedevilled was just asking for it XD

lol figured it had to have at least some risk to make it a challenge!

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

those bedevils were absolutely shameless lmao

:tipshat:

Stoner Sloth

small bit of feedback: the challenge would have probably worked better if the posts had to be in this thread only, would have made it harder to get away with

i am very impressed by the creative solutions that Rarity and Snuff Melange employed though!

Stoner Sloth

alternatively if we only counted one post with the word in it per thread would have worked too imo

Stoner Sloth

Manifisto posted:

thanks for the scores, GaG! I said I'd post the cumulative scores at the end of each day, pretend I posted this yesterday:

Rarity 26
Charles Bukowski 20
Snuff Melange 18
your friend sk 13
Dumb Sex-Parrot 12
biosterous 12
Stoner Sloth 12
barnold 10
Finger Prince 9
Quadramind 7
Tiny Myers 6
Saoshyant 3
Viginti Septem 3
Heather Papps 1

Rarity pulling out in front, but by no means an invulnerable lead! it's still anybody's competition! and remember, there are prizes for second and third place too . . . not as spiffy as the trophy, I will grant you, but respectable!

thanks, it'll be useful later on to have the pre-curse of Uluru scores. the precursors you might say!

Stoner Sloth

sorry i haven't participated as much as i would have liked - as i suspected timing and stuff i had to do got in the way - but I have enjoyed watching and being a part of this where i could! looking forward to seeing the exciting conclusion!!

Stoner Sloth

inb4 goldmine, congrats snuff melange and thank you hosts, guest hosts (was great to see you all again!) and contestants

ilu BYOB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoner Sloth

Charles Bukowski posted:

Follow up to the fear task: I met Mr. Skye the kitty today and submitted my paperwork to adopt him. He is staying in kitty jail to be neutered and I can pick him up by Thursday. I ain't no liar, especially for a taskmaster challenge. Kitty pics coming soon.

Here he is in lockup.

awww :3: so happy for Mr Syke to get a new home and for my posting pal to get such a lovely kitty!! pls tell him he is the best and that BYOB loves him!!!