Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Weekends always seem just a little too short to get everything done.

I’m postponing a permanent fix on the Raider’s fuel delivery issue, since it’ll be a more involved project, and I need to get it plated asap. So I wired in the electric fuel pump in a much better way, and tooled around in it to run errands to scope out the AFR. What was “intermittent” operation when it was in the race car is now “barely” in it. But I got a few minutes of readings. At cruise and under throttle it’s very rich: I saw 10.5 or so at one point. I have a jet kit, so I need to do some learnin’ and then put some in. Muffler pieces are here, and I need to get that put in somehow, which will be a pain. It’s just not pleasant to listen to.

The Volvo became a Superleggera:

I cut out the rear window motors and supported the glass with ratchet strap material. I want to replace the glass with lexan but I’m tired of spending money right now.
Then it became a Superleggera AERO with patched tail light holes:

And here’s that fugly fuel door patch (should have just riveted it on too):

Also spent some time sealing the cowl holes that may have let water drip on electronics. Hooray, now I can give it a bath without soaking the interior. It may get some drops but at least there aren’t giant gaping holes now.

A friend needed new pads on her Civic so I helped her and her husband slap those on, and then on Sunday I put pads on the WRX. I have to admit it’s pretty cool on the Brembos you can swap pads with the caliper attached. That’s kind of neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Stuff has been boring for the Volvo recently.
- Ran wiring for the number lighting
- Engine oil change and gear oil change
- Gave it a wash with a pressure washer and soap. It hardly touched all the grime, so I’ll need to actually put elbow grease into it.
- Tried to redo some of the green stripes but it looks like rear end and I ran out of tape. More should arrive and I’ll re-attempt it.
- New wheels look pretty rad on it.

The race is this weekend and I’m anxious as all hell. The judges have seen this car a lot by now so it almost feels like we need to win our class or be relegated to perennial also-rans. It’s a full 24 hour race, which are kind of an exhausting slog.

I took apart the Raider’s Weber to put jets in to fix it running rich. The main jets were already as small as the high altitude kit had, so I bumped up two steps on the air/corrector jets instead. While in there I also leaned out the idle with two steps on the idle jets. As most of you could predict, this was too much of a correction, and it wanted to die at low throttle, and looked very lean on the wideband at mid to full throttle. Oh, I’d stuck a new wideband sensor in to help with the intermittent reading problem, which looks like it’s helping. I’ll now swap jets to a middle ground and re-time it, since it feels not quite dead on. I think long term a TBI setup will be in the cards, but that’s a can of worms for future me.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Well the race was a disaster.

Track day Friday was great: car was running well, no issues, no leaks, and passed tech, BS inspection, and light inspection with ease.

Saturday during the race we got a black flag for smoking. We debugged it to trans fluid burning, and looked like it was the pan gasket had a corner leaking, then getting flung into exhaust. When we pulled the pan down there was some metal and bearing pieces. Without options we just sealed it and ran.

Then the rear end started clicking / making a ratchet sound while turning. Then we started losing gears, and started running like poo poo, while sometimes showing low oil pressure. So that’s garbage.

We ended up swapping over lit numbers and such to the Starlet and got it through tech in the wee hours just finish out the race in that. They let us, since we were so out of contention it didn’t matter.

There were a ton of other problems that only popped up during the race that never occurred during the track days. Just a frustrating outing. At this point I’m so mad at it and tired of fighting it I almost think it’s time to retire it or park it at the bottom of a lake.

I got the trans out last night, and there’s poo poo loss of metal in the pan now, but not as much as I thought. The fluid was a beautiful red glitter. I’m guessing I messed up a bearing reinstalling the pump last time.
Carnage (magnets in the trans pan):

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

But they said racing is fun!

After experiencing a few spec Miata races and watching one of my friends at the time single handedly get the car ready and deal with issues gave me a new perspective, lots of work goes into it for a few laps of gratification and he wasn't even the one driving the car.

Also spent a few years in NASCAR Cup garages and saw the stress levels there, you wanna talk about pressure, geez.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Snagged an entire trans from the junkyard:

We will rebuild it, maybe do both this and the old one to have a spare. This one’s line pressure cable is torn up too, and I can’t find any online, so I’m stumped there.
While at the yard I spied this former Gambler car. RIP.

The team member who helped me pull the trans and I have a tradition of getting tacos at the sketchiest places after junkyard trips. I got twenty pounds of green chili carne asada fries, and was amused by the soda selection.

Gimme the news.
I also snagged rear calipers off an XC90 to convert the 940. It’s an easy swap with some euro brackets.

I was invited to join another team for a race at Road America this coming weekend. I’ve driven with this team once before at Sonoma, and they’re extremely good, and their car is nuts fast:

It’s a Miata with a Geo Metro roof welded on, and a Cadillac 4.9 made to face longitudinal instead of transverse. Alarmingly quick.

I took the Triumph out for what will probably be one of the last rides of the season and played Instagram influencer.

Other stuff is just trying to clean the garage (and building tire racks to organize) and other boring things. Work is back to being insanely busy.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dr Rocksalt posted:

It’s a Miata with a Geo Metro roof welded on, and a Cadillac 4.9 made to face longitudinal instead of transverse. Alarmingly quick.

:stare:

That looks like a most excellent way to die.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Through the gates of Valhalla, shinny and chrome

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
You don't see that everyday.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Dr Rocksalt posted:

I was invited to join another team for a race at Road America this coming weekend. I’ve driven with this team once before at Sonoma, and they’re extremely good, and their car is nuts fast:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Through the gates of Valhalla, shinny and chrome

You are awaited.

That's probably the only way to run a V8 Miata and not get one quintillion laps, yeah?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Through the gates of Valhalla, shinny and chrome backwards and on fire.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Through the gates of Valhalla, backwards and on fire

I did spin it at Sonoma once. Whoops.

Left Ventricle posted:

That's probably the only way to run a V8 Miata and not get one quintillion laps, yeah?

Exactly. As a matter of fact they were put in class C the first time they raced after the swap, since everybody thought it was a time bomb. But then I think they may have won overall that race? Or definitely did extremely well. This team also just started running a Crossfire that is almost entirely stock. I got to drive it at a track day, and that engine is weirdly good. It’s like it has torque no matter where you are in the revs.

Slow weekend, but I got the Raider Weber re-jetted to hopefully hit better AFR numbers. That gauge is still flaking out, so it’s hard to say. I also spent some time trying to time it without much luck. I need to investigate that more.
The garage cleaning / organizing continues. I got the tire racks I built lag bolted in above the garage door. I thought I’d have all the tire space in the world, but realized I still have two Volvo spares to put up.

I will not be accepting feedback on my lousy carpenter skills at this time. :downs:

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Two of us from the Gunbarrel Cobras joined the Caddy Miata team at Road America. We couldn’t swing the time off to drive, so we flew out after work on Thursday. We got there at about 3 am Friday morning after rental car and all that. It was of course pitch black. We couldn’t get in the gates, so we slept in the rental pickup, and it was insanely cold. Since we arrived in the dark, I didn’t appreciate the views. The next morning though, holy cow.

This pic doesn’t do it justice, but the facilities are amazing, the nature is gorgeous, and it’s just an incredible place.

Friday was open lapping, so a few people go out, including my normal team mate. Before I have a chance to get in any laps, the rookie driver this team brought goes out, and promptly stuffs it into a wall

It’s really bad, and we all spend some time debating if we can even continue. After stripping off body panels, it still looks rough, but we confer with the Lemons tech inspectors, who say if we can show them we rebuild it strong enough to their liking we can race it. So we get hammering.

New control arms, tie rods, many many more things. Hammering on poo poo, yanking frame horns with a truck, welding on new core support pieces… It’s an all night thrash. With body panels stitched back on, by morning we have a monstrosity. (Note HOW OFFSET the intake is now)

Old tie rod serving as hood brace:

We go through tech and the Lemons folks scrutinize but decide we’ve done a good job, and I get put in the car after the owner does a shake down lap. Holy poo poo, I’m driving Road America! This is amazing! It’s gorgeous, and the car is fast (hey why is it spitting and popping, oh well), racing is fun again, hooray!
Ten laps later the temp started climbing. Uh oh, why is there steam coming from the hood. Oh the temp is mega high. Now it’s puking water… we get into the pit, and it’s barfing water. Few tests later and it’s clear the head gasket is blown. Turns out there’s reason not to believe the torque wrench that assembled that motor, so not a huge shock. The team had a spare motor, so we decide to go ahead and swap it (after much being mad about it, and suspecting the other head would be bad on this motor). As you might imagine, it’s not easy to pull a V8 out of a Miata. It has to come out the bottom. Many beers were consumed, but we managed to get it done. Mid point:

We finally can start it at about 1 am. It fires up, we all celebrate, and some of the team goes to bed. The rest of us stay up and add water. It takes a suspicious amount, then it starts running out of the timing cover / water pump area. We all cuss and fall asleep, thinking it’s just a gasket we will fix in the morning.
We fixed the gasket, then reassemble, and proceed to flush the milkshake out with cheap oil. Except it came out worse. Like vanilla milkshake.
While waiting for the shake to finish draining, we refill the water since the rad had to come out. That’s when the realization occurred:

Yep, that’s milkshake and pure water coming out at the same time. In this engine there are apparently some gasket straight from water jacket around the cylinders to the crank case, and I guess these failed or were broke (hazy on details here). We have video I will try to get of water going in the rad and almost immediately pouring out the oil drain plug.

Anyway, this won us an “I Got Screwed” trophy.

Anyhoo, that’s how I flew to Wisconsin to rebuild a Miata, swap an engine, and drive ten laps around an amazing track.

Dr Rocksalt fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 9, 2023

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Left Ventricle posted:

At least you got to do some laps, I wanted to go but didn't have time.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Hahaha omg that's awful.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I cannot imagine hauling rear end towards turn 5 in that beast. It's awesome that you guys got it put back together well enough to actually turn some laps.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

This race trip, along with watching some great V8 swaps tear it up on track, really have me wanting to build an actual good lemons car instead of just a weird one. This feeling may pass, but it’s strong right now. I absolutely DO NOT need another project, however.

Miatas are kind of overdone in Lemons, but I’ve started seeing RX8s pop up for cheap ish with blown engines. Basically the same. I’d for sure get chucked into Class A, but maybe do something weird enough to get no penalty laps. Probably still keep running the Starlet and Volvo, but then have a “good” car as well.

My thought is that the suspension is already incredibly good with plenty of great aftermarket, the huge brake options are endless, and with a little pain a Ford 8.8 can go in for endless rear gear selection and great LSD choices. I would try to stick a large V8 in. Truth be told I’d want the VK56 from a Titan, paired to a CD009 six speed. Or maybe a 3UR if I could pair it with a BMW DCT or 8HP. Comedy (and heavy) option would be a 318 or 360 for a fake Hellcat (Heck Cat).

Anyhoo, pipe dreams, y’all tell me not to make a bad decision. A lot of this is just the “ooh shiny” project dreams. This one popped up and I could probably get it down waaay cheaper:

Also might be partnering with the wrecked Miata team on a one-off build of an Austin Princess; I’ll know more soon.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Dr Rocksalt posted:

Anyhoo, pipe dreams, y’all tell me not to make a bad decision.

the bad decision is not V8 swapping every sports car you can :colbert:

does anyone swap the titan V8, or would that be another thing you'd be doing from scratch?

Dr Rocksalt posted:

Also might be partnering with the wrecked Miata team on a one-off build of an Austin Princess; I’ll know more soon.

wait what

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yes, they do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFHY4NsP_a0

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
The vk56 is also notable as the spec engine for lmp3 race cars so it's certainly got an endurance racing vibe to it.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Raluek posted:

does anyone swap the titan V8, or would that be another thing you'd be doing from scratch?

Raluek posted:

wait what

One of the well known judges of Lemons is in Colorado and wants a team to buy and race this Austin Princess from a junkyard. The team captain of the Caddy Miata team is chasing that down, and it sounds like I’d get to partake in that build.

This is far from a for sure deal, but he seems pretty serious about it.

Few other spinning plates at the moment: my good friend and team mate has to sell his house (divorce sucks), and this means downsizing garage and storage by a lot. He is giving me his four post lift, if I get it moved out. I’m going to take it, but this means changing my garage door to a high clearance version. I’m chasing quotes right now and trying to decide if I want to DIY for about $1100 or see if I can get someone to actually follow through and do it for $1500 to $2000 (their ball park quote). If it’s more like $1500, I’m liable to just get it done. Also need to figure out how to transport the lift. Ideally it would get hauled as a whole and not disassembled. It’s a chunk of change, for sure, but garage space is nearly priceless, so I feel compelled.

I’ve been suspicious the ITB Volvo setup isn’t as fast as it should be, so I bought a cheap as hell mustang throttle body that has the same diameter as the 1UZ upper intake and made an adapter. I could use the actual 1UZ throttle body, but it’s a quite bulky, complicated piece, so this will simplify. Also made some Send Cut Send pieces to make all the blockoffs on the upper intake.

The Mustang body is close enough on one set of holes I could slot them enough to get them over, and then the middle plate bolts to the upper intake and the other TB holes bolt to it. This above test for is before counter sinking for some flat head cap screws. Doing it this way means the throttle bore isn’t quite aligned, but I designed it so I’ll just blend each edge appropriately to have it flow smoothly.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Are there casters for it? If yes it might be possible to have a flat bed pull it on as an assembly but man that sounds sketchy.

Disassembly and reassembly isn't to bad. In chunks with a couple moving dollies, a box truck, and 4-6 fit friends you can get it loaded and unloaded in a day.

I was able to assemble mine alone with an engine hoist.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

I assembled the Mustang throttle body onto the stock 1UZ upper intake. I don't even know if this will get used a ton, but may be a good debug tool.

It's an angry frog.

This weekend started getting cold after sun down, so I got my winter tires on the WRX, and also put on rear brakes since those were bad. I also changed the F150's oil. At least that was easy enough.

I then tackled the rear brake adapter kit for the Volvo since the parts arrived. New vs. old rotors:

These adapters are rear end:

And the instructions aren't legible.

Unfortunately they're not as bolt-on as I'd thought. There is a central bore that fits around the axle housing, and it looks like that's not the right size, so it binds before fully seating, which in turn makes the caliper bracket scrape the rotor. I think my current plan is to slowly sand down the adapter's bore until it's an easy fit. At least I hope that's the right move.

I decided to stop stalling and get the muffler on the Raider. It was an utter pain, but I finally got it installed. It does ... something? I'm not sure what I expected from a straight through 10" muffler, but at least it's maybe a little quieter. Or at least less harsh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvMCXx487ws

While running to get some generic exhaust tubing, I saw this and had to have it. Also one of my daughters wanted one too. Hell yeah.

Team mate and I got real close to buying an RX-8. First very cheap one sold before we could get there, the second was a good price, but I kind of got cold feet about time / money / garage space. Maybe that idea needs to get back burnered for a while until more things are settled (they never will be).

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Raider failed emissions (by a ton) again even with decent AFRs. It also started dropping oil pressure to worrying values, and with the new muffler I can hear all kinds of frustrating new alarming noises. At this point I’m pretty stumped on what I should do with this thing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Obviously the answer is LS swap it. Whether you take that to mean Lexus ls400 donor or GM LS engine is left as an exercise to the reader.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I was thinking a 13b swap would be the way to go.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

kastein posted:

Obviously the answer is LS swap it. Whether you take that to mean Lexus ls400 donor or GM LS engine is left as an exercise to the reader.

I do have that spare UZ sitting here…

Realistically it sounds like a 4G64 could actually fit the bell housing and maybe even motor mounts. Granted that won’t be a horsepower monster, but it’s at least a newer engine that’s easy to source parts for. And hey, there are turbo manifolds on eBay if I go full dumb. I’m a complete Mitsubishi neophyte so correct me if I’m wrong, but I think a 4G63 manifold also fits?

SpeedFreek posted:

I was thinking a 13b swap would be the way to go.

Every other off-roader would utterly despise me, that would be hilarious.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

How did it fail? Give us numbers, maybe it can be made to pass with a little work.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

From my dsm days in pretty sure most of the 4g63 and 64 are similar. I believe the head is the same so it should bolt up. I would say that's insane but then I remembered what I've already seen in this thread, lol

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

randomidiot posted:

How did it fail? Give us numbers, maybe it can be made to pass with a little work.

HC: 3.7610 out of 3.5000
CO: 113.7670 out of 30.0000 (!)

At some point when they started it, they saw blue smoke so I got an auto-fail there as well.

I've been lazy about this, but after a lot of futzing, I got the XC90 rear brakes swapped.

I could make the existing brake hoses work, but I'm not a fan of how they would have to route, so I'm on hold waiting for some new fittings and hose to show up. I then cut the absolute piss out of my finger while scraping the rear diff gasket off, so that put an end to my night.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Definitely running rich, cat is probably done too. That oil burning ain't helping the numbers either. :sigh:

Gonna agree with just doing a swap, that engine sounds tired.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

randomidiot posted:

Definitely running rich, cat is probably done too. That oil burning ain't helping the numbers either. :sigh:

Gonna agree with just doing a swap, that engine sounds tired.

But the wideband says it’s somewhat ballpark, and the cat is new! Albeit an eBay special… :( Obviously the proof is in the pudding, it’s failing badly. I think really I’m just not enthused about fighting this engine anymore, and would rather fight a NEW AND DIFFERENT engine and am using this as an out to excuse it. Logic!

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
4G63T. You know you want to.

Lincoln Freak
Sep 11, 2001
The Surgeon General never said anything about smoking the competition!

Left Ventricle posted:

4G63T. You know you want to.

I've got a better idea... three words: Big. Vee. Eight! :haw:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Rocksalt posted:

But the wideband says it’s somewhat ballpark, and the cat is new! Albeit an eBay special… :( Obviously the proof is in the pudding, it’s failing badly. I think really I’m just not enthused about fighting this engine anymore, and would rather fight a NEW AND DIFFERENT engine and am using this as an out to excuse it. Logic!

I mean, you can gently caress with the timing and carb jetting a bit to maybe squeak it through?

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

It’s been a crazy few days with more to come. Thanks to a wildfire, my dad couldn’t join me deer hunting this weekend, so I left for that Friday mid day. My truck turned “1BOOBIE” miles old and threw a CEL about it.

I pulled the codes when I got home but cleared them without taking a screenshot like an idiot.

After an entire hour at home to shower, pack, etc, I headed to DC to kick off that grant I’d won. It was a poster session, and I styled mine after a Haynes manual since it’s about auto repair. I actually had one person catch it, which was cool. Unfortunately I don’t think I should show it here due to privacy and not knowing what I’m allowed to share.

Then flew home and got busy cooking Halloween dinner for my girls and coparents. They requested “spider pie and monkey brains” with no clue what those would be, so I invented something. For the spider pie, I did the spaghetti noodle through hot dog slices using squid ink spaghetti, then made a tomato sauce with hot peppers, onions, basil, garlic, etc that slapped. I cut out pie dough, used muffin tins, and made tiny little spider pies. Plus some only spider leg versions for my vegetarian coparent. The filling leftovers, looking nasty (forgot to take good pics before):

And baked, along with Mac O Lanterns (bell peppers carved and filled with home made mac and cheese)

For the monkey brains, I snagged a recipe my mom uses that the girls love: jello made with pineapple and blackberries, with a whipped cream cheese and sour cream topping. I made that, then stirred it all up to make a nasty brain color. I scooped out kiwis to look hairy like monkey heads.

I also put apple cider in champagne flutes, with an apple slice on the rim, with a gummy worm snaking through it. Forgot pictures of that, dammit.

And then since I had two witches to trick or treat with, I made myself into a man being cooked in a cauldron.

I ran out of time on this, so I didn’t get to do all the stuff I wanted with it.

I’m now on a plane back to DC for another kickoff meeting, and then when I get back, I head straight from the airport to another go at deer hunting, for another attempt. Gonna be a long stretch.

As far as race cars go, the plan I had for the brake lines isn’t working. The M10x1.0 to 3AN right angles bottom out on the shoulder before they seal. And they also look awful, quality-wise.

Sadly I will now have to use a straight adapter with a 3AN elbow. There should be room for all this, just less compact.

Dr Rocksalt fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 1, 2023

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Dang, it has been a rough few weeks. All that screaming around to DC and back, then deer season has me somewhat demolished.

Pulled codes on the Ford, and sure enough, it’s cat bank 1, and it sure sounds like an exhaust leak getting worse. Oh boy.

I committed to the garage door modification for the sake of the lift, but the company is now pretending I don’t exist. This will get very hairy, since the person I’m getting it from said it might be up for negotiation with whoever buys his house. This sucks, and I’d started measuring and scale drawing things out to figure out how to arrange stuff and get you all’s opinions. Guess holding pattern for now until I know more.

The Austin Princess plan fell apart, sadly. Not only was the salvager not willing to bargain at all and was quite high, but it was far, far more of a basket case than even we would be willing to tackle. It was like wood wrapped in aluminum foil. Kind of a bummer.

The Volvo is frustrating me, mostly out of burnout, but I need to get it moving. I can’t find a drat thing wrong with the rear diff to cause the noise so I guess I’ll just refill it and see what it sounds like with more miles. The drat “super simple brake swap” kit still is a pain due to fittings and hoses. Jegs sold me some fittings I thought would fix me up, but they are decidedly not bubble flare, or if they are they certainly aren’t what I need; they look like inverted flare to me. I’m tired of feeling dumb on this trivial thing.

I need to dig into the replacement trans, and need a good way to mount it vertically, without spending a bunch of money. I’m shy to buy the rebuild kit, because it’s also quite expensive, especially if I get another valve body kit (not strictly needed, could use the old one if I trust it) and upgraded clutches (also not strictly required but might put my mind at ease).

I’m lazy on the WRX and have had the dealer change the oil a few times. This last time they apparently let it down off the lift onto some box that scratched the piss out of the front splitter, and we’re kind of weird about letting me know. Thankfully the service manager has been good to deal with about replacing it, but dang.

I hate to sound all down in the mouth, but I’m kind of burned out and can’t seem to get a win recently. Work has been just nuts, and I’ve gotten a few “no thanks” on some grants I was super excited about. I know I should probably ease off the throttle a bit to recharge, but it’s hard to convince my brain of that.

Up side, at the last race we were trying to talk our way down to class C, and I finally sealed the deal by flashing my leg. Turns out I made the wrap up video (phone posting and can’t figure out time stamp, it’s at 2:38)
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Zp4IE44Q6r4&si=j29SGjRUSDl0h1u1

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That looks like inverted 45 degree flare to me. Used on most of the brake systems I work on.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

kastein posted:

That looks like inverted 45 degree flare to me. Used on most of the brake systems I work on.

Yeah, and thankfully Jegs was decent about a refund without having me ship them back. Earl’s brand fittings showed up and work. My hose plan doesn’t work so this never ending project continues to never end while I wait for longer hoses.

I went to the junkyard for a trans pan and kickdown cable. Unfortunately they all drill the pans to drain them instead of using the drain plug, but at least grabbed the cable.

Then I walked past a Caddy that had a supercharger. Guess I forgot the STS came with an SC Northstar. So I pulled it and impulse bought it. Why? I have no idea. But now I own an Eaton I guess.

I failed at rescuing everything else I needed at the yard. Rats.

Dr Rocksalt fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 20, 2023

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dr Rocksalt posted:

I failed at rescuing everything else I needed at the yard. Rats.

Ya, but blower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

I made a mount for the trans, and cleaned it up a bit:

And then started making a weird Christmas tree.

So far the clutches and steels look good on this trans. I have the new kit with upgraded clutches, so I think I’ll proceed with a rebuild on it, but at least I could reuse this on the totally hosed one if I don’t have all the bits in the ancient rebuild kit I have stashed from years ago that may have been partially cannibalized. That way I’ll have a mostly complete spare. For whatever reason this trans has a different solenoid connector, since it has a temp sensor that the old doesn’t, so I’ll steal the old harness. They’re both brittle as hell (tabs have already snapped off the connectors), and I wish I could source a new one, but I can’t find any.

Over break the girls and I made Rice Krispie treats except with fruit flavored marshmallows and Fruity Pebbles. Cute and fun.

I saw this yesterday walking around:

Maybe I’m paranoid, but I get nervous even having welding tanks in my trunk just to run them to get refilled.