Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Rebuilding this trans has taken drastically longer than I thought, but the guts are back in, and I can move on to the valve body. I tried to get some bushings out of the back pump flange, but failed, so I had to steal it from the old trans. Opening that one up revealed utter carnage.

A bearing and races is just gone, and this was running metal on metal. So much for rebuilding this one at all. This was only on the first planetary after the pump, so I can’t wait to tear the rest apart and see how much of a grenade went off.

A weird series of events led me to possibly getting some work customer eyes on CANTbus. I don’t think anything will come of it, but it did spark back up my interest in making circuits. I made boards for data logging, gyro and acceleration, gps, 4G, and then one for a display using a RPi. I also made a rev of the main board correcting a few errors, as well as going to a standalone microprocessor chip, instead of premade stuff. Boards arrived, and the last shipment of components showed up yesterday. Now I have to solder all of it, weeee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Oh wow, that transmission is loving done.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Step 1:

Step 2: shove it in
Step 3: test, Oops All Gears Are Drive.
Step 4: recall that I was so focused on the accumulators when putting the valve body on that I missed the detent of the gear selector aligning with the plunger on the valve body.
Step 5: fix that, cussing but also relieved it was a simple fix.

Step 6:

Runs like poo poo at the moment, but that’s a problem for another day. It’s mobile; I can at least now move on to something else for a bit.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Dr Rocksalt posted:

Step 1:

Step 2: shove it in
Step 3: test, Oops All Gears Are Drive.
Step 4: recall that I was so focused on the accumulators when putting the valve body on that I missed the detent of the gear selector aligning with the plunger on the valve body.
Step 5: fix that, cussing but also relieved it was a simple fix.

Step 6:

Runs like poo poo at the moment, but that’s a problem for another day. It’s mobile; I can at least now move on to something else for a bit.

Better than All Gears are Grind! Nice work.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Dr Rocksalt posted:

Guess who lied? The track we normally race at offered a free customer appreciation lapping day for a few hours, so I worked like mad to get the car ready. Even if the Volvo breaks, it’s a free trial to see if the trans holds, right? This was complicated by the fact that the garage door folks were also here, and I had to rearrange a bunch of stuff. I’m less than thrilled with the door modification for several reasons, most of which is that they forgot to bring the opener, so it’ll be a week before they get back to install that. However, the high lift bit does make it feel way bigger.

Since I want to work on the International, I’m moving it back to the two car bay, and moving my benches to the tandem. The lift will go where the Volvo is here:

Directly behind me in this shot is the chaos hell-mess I have to tackle.
Some idiot cut out the old rear axle to mock up the 8.8, but never attached it. So here’s my patent pending One Time Use Suspension™️ so I could get it mobile.

The trans pan on the Volvo was leaking so bad I figured I’d get black flagged so I took it off, did some tweaking, and resealed it. Did some tuning adjustments, and re-timed it.

Come track day I took it out for a session and it actually does pretty decent all things considered. Still slower than it should be, but shifting, not stumbling, pretty good. After the first session, I came in, we notice a few fuel drips, and while wiggling a hose fitting, it snaps off at the fuel rail. That’s the Volvo’s day done, but I still got to take a team mate’s FRS out, along with the Caddy Miata owner’s Crossfire that’s raced lemons before. It’s maddening, the Crossfire is way too good for basically nothing done to it besides stripping it. Torque curve feels drat near flat.
A familiar sight:

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

I got one example of all the new boards stuffed. I tried a “standalone” arduino on a couple of these using the chip from a Mega, including a new main backplane. I didn’t do all, since the chips are a little expensive, and considering they’re both a fine pitch to solder and it then requires flashing a boot loader, I wanted to make sure it would work before converting all to this type. Unfortunately I’ve encountered a few board design errors, like swapped Tx / Rx on the programming port of the main backplane. Oh well, work in progress.

New main:

Since the Mega chip has many more hardware serial pins, I added a Bluetooth chip. Another error though, I didn’t step it down from 5V on the coms to 3.3V, so let’s see if the smoke comes out.

Two others: logging (uses Mega) and a 4G (have both, Mega is unstuffed).

I also made an accelerometer / gyro card, both based on Adafruit devices, which speeds up coding because the libraries are ready to go. I had made these on for the previous rev, and they’re in the Starlet now. Nominally this means a lot of the programming is already done.

One I’m excited to try is the display card. This is essentially a hat for a Pi, which will run a screen. This should have been a Mega, dammit.

The good news is that the Mega devices took the bootloader flash just fine. I have a ton of programming to do for a custom GUI for the Pi. I’ve normally used QT Designer, but I feel like it makes very traditional, boring GUIs. Any experience with Kivy?

Considering I have all this programming to do (as well as a mess in the garage) you’d think I would buckle down, right? Nope, after talking to my tattoo artist, they pointed something funny out: on the ✝️✝️✝️ (Crosses, Chino from Deftones side project) song Vivien, you can almost perfectly sing Britney Spears’s Baby One More Time over it. So I stayed up way too late making it. Turns out lots of people have noticed this and made it, but whatever, I had fun.

https://youtu.be/3_sYm4ndzo8?si=OoGAgVgX4gqBcoGS

Result of the aforementioned tattoo session:

Knee caps aren’t fun, and then healing is rough. Literally feels like a heinous knee injury, and it swells up like crazy.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

As someone dealing with a fairly bad knee injury now (dumped an e-scooter at ~20 mph on pavement - I was kinda attached to that skin damnit), and also has a little bit of ink (not much tho, just a couple of tiny pieces - that was enough pain for me)... loving OUCH.

Looks great though!

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Yeehaw, -17 F outside doesn’t make for a ton of motivation in the garage. It made more work, since the Volvo runs straight water per race rules, so I had to drain and fill with coolant since even inside my garage was dropping below freezing.

Then the feed line for my terlet in the main froze, so I burned a ton of time fixing that.

The circulation pump for my dishwasher wouldn’t run, so I got to do some pump rebuilding and replacing. Speaks to my dislike of doing dishes that I was more than happy to work on the pump and reinstall it for three hours rather than half an hour of washing dishes.

(Testing before reinstalling all the way) Yay home ownership?

Since I’m reorganizing where I work in the garage, I bit the bullet and had conduit run for 110 outlets and a 240 outlet added for the welder. Wraps around the rest of that back wall and around the corner, and looks good. I wanted to future proof and add an EV charger outlet, but the company quoted a jaw dropping amount, so I’ll wait on that.

My dad has this ‘88 F250 with a 351W. It popped the original engine, and a local mechanic managed to screw up two other long blocks. It “runs” now but knocks really badly. He can’t manage to let it go, and this was furthered by my nephew saying he loved it (being six and all). Dad asked me to help get an engine in it. They live in a no emissions rural area, so I’m thinking just use a carb and carb intake on it. Maybe a cam that hops it up just a touch, some tube headers, etc. I’m trying to rein it in and not end up making a 408 stroker with aluminum heads…

A rad Pinto wagon near work:

Found some weird intermittent programming errors that are taking forever to track down, and slowly teaching myself Kivy to make a GUI on that Pi. Progress on so much is halted, and my motivation isn’t helping.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
looks like the cheapest 351 crate motor on summit is almost 4k, so i guess junkyard motor it is. probably kind of hard to find one that's not totally worn out by now, but it's not like those trucks are rare.

how in the world did a mechanic "screw up" two other almost complete engines? is there enough good parts across those to kludge into one good motor?

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Raluek posted:

looks like the cheapest 351 crate motor on summit is almost 4k, so i guess junkyard motor it is. probably kind of hard to find one that's not totally worn out by now, but it's not like those trucks are rare.

how in the world did a mechanic "screw up" two other almost complete engines? is there enough good parts across those to kludge into one good motor?

I wish I had any clue what in the hell happened, but there’s now a knocking crated up engine in the bed and a knocking engine in the truck now. There may have been even one more before those two? From my memory (it’s been literally probably a decade), they all had loss of oil pressure and then bottom end knock. I’m tempted to say small town mechanic BS, but who knows. The fact there’s a long block crated up is what tempts me to just build a stroker if there was no other damage to the block.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
whichever motor has the cleanest bores, yeah. if you can do it without needing any machining, you could probably do it pretty cheap and quick. should be interesting to follow along if you post about it here

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Work sent me to the east coast for a week, and then keeping tiny humans live is always more work than I think, so I have less progress recently than I want.

Found an insidious bug in CANTbus code: sometimes I’m dumb and forget that indices in C and C++ start at 0 but you declare the size as the actual count of items. Yee haw. I fell down this rabbit hole because the Pi powered display board was experiencing some oddities. But before that train wreck I’d kind of gotten a basic outline of a GUI working using Kivy.

I’m fetching the crated 351W next weekend, so needed to free up an engine stand. As much as it pained me, I took the old Volvo trans to recycling before a full tear down. I yanked the valve body and accumulators since it has a shift kit in it. Last parting shot: plastic from a solenoid stuck in where the band actuator pushes. God speed.

This weekend is helping my friend move, including maybe moving the lift and the V8 Festiva. Snow is not helping this.
He’d started a TDi swapped Forester, and first step was to get the donor Beetle hauled away.

We winched it most of the way, but an attempt to push it on the trailer with his Grand Vitara was made. It just comically monster-trucked it.

Now for the trek down the mountain with a trailer while it’s snowing, yay.

Boulder dot jay peg:

While moving poo poo, Dan tested the Starlet as a send off to his garage:

https://youtu.be/hE5eOfJckHk?si=nzumEt1hKrJfLfkw

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

Dr Rocksalt posted:

While moving poo poo, Dan tested the Starlet as a send off to his garage:

https://youtu.be/hE5eOfJckHk?si=nzumEt1hKrJfLfkw

When I was like 17, about 20 years ago, I was staying at a mate’s house for a few days. His housemate, Dan, was about to pull the engine from his KE30 Corolla. It was also getting new wheels swapped on, so of course Dan gave the engine a send off, in the garage. Like this video, but for a much longer time.

Only problem was it was a basement garage, so the house stunk of burnt rubber for days.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Last weekend turned into a bust and near disaster. Motivation and stupidity overruled lack of talent and bad weather.

I started towing the Beetle carcass up my buddies driveway, but lost traction in a shady spot and started sliding backwards. I was drat lucky to get stopped where I was and not jackknife or plummet down that hill. Just sheer stupidity.

Luckily with the Grand Vitara chained up, we could winch a bit on the butt of the trailer to ease it up, while a portable winch to a tree helped getting traction on the front of my truck. After getting vaguely straight, we were able to gun it up the rest of the drive, towing with the Suzuki.

Unfortunately at one point during getting turned around it was so slick the Suzuki lost traction and tagged my truck, busting the passenger headlight and ripping some of the bumper plastic. But hey, everybody lived.

Garage chaos is driving me crazy so I bought some Amazon stuff to help organize. Slow going, but got to here, which doesn’t look like much, but is at least forward progress.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

I snagged the ancient “bad” rebuilt 351W from my dad and brought it home. I realized I had too many projects going and decided to wait on it.

Ah dang, nope, dug into right away. It was WAY nastier than I’d been led to believe, and far, FAR less complete.

First pushrod motor on the stand in my garage, believe it or not.
I began breaking it down so I can get the block to a machine shop for boring and whatever else it needs. The lifters didn’t want to come out easily because of how long it had sat with the valley open. Little worried about that when going back together, but hopefully those holes clean up.

I smell shenanigans from whatever hack shop did all these “rebuilt engine” installs. The rod cap bolts were highly varied tightness, and there was a missing main cap bolt. I’m not sure why they would have been in there after pulling it, since they were putting a NEW short block in the truck.

Everything is a rusty mess from sitting, but I got it down to bare block and could inspect a bit.

It has 40 over pistons in it, and the bores measure about that with lousy calipers.

The bores are just demolished and look awful.

Gee that looks like a skirt was rubbing real bad let’s take a look at that…

OH GOD
Other side is okay? Not all pistons saw it on the same side, which I find odd.

Worst of the rod bearings. This groove is far beyond “feel with a fingernail.”

Crank on that rod doesn’t look TOO bad, to the point I’m wondering if it’s worth getting it polished and adjusting bearings. Then again a stock new crank is about $400, so I’m not sure. Rod caps look just kind of normal with some evidence of garbage going through.

I don’t see a smoking gun for the origin of all this yet. Obviously there was a ton of piston to wall contact, which then pulled in a ton of metal. But what would cause that much contact after a rebuild? I’m no engine CSI if someone could chime in.

Thing I realized: ford built a 77 LTD with a 351W, so it would slip into mine very easily. Once I rebuild this and get it slapped into the truck, my dad agreed to give me the 351W that’s in there now. I can rebuild that one fully dumb for the LTD and have a 400 hp land yacht without taking a decade to do so (he lied to himself). In all honesty that’s mostly why I’m motivated to get this one in my garage done and installed.

Garage sorting continues. I unpacked and organized a lot of the suspension parts I bought last year for the International and got both excited and depressed I’ve done squat on it.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Very important stuff to do last week.

It was “the best birthday ever, daddy!” So I’d say it was a dang good day.

My friend with the lift was finally ready to have it moved so I booked a rollback, giving them the exact dimensions. We loaded the Festiva on the trailer and engine in my pickup, and then began the wait for the truck.

To nobody’s surprise, the tow truck was about an hour and a half late. More disappointingly, they sent one that was distinctly smaller than the size I gave them. I called dispatch, and they said they’d stick to the already paid price, and send out another truck. I waited several more hours, and then called, asking where they were. They hadn’t even found a driver yet to send. Wasted the whole dang day.

I left the trailer up at my friend’s, but got the engine down to my place, along with a bunch of other stuff. I had to move the Volvo to get the engine in, and then it wouldn’t start on the street due to I think fouled plugs. I finally got it fired up, but it’s mad. Just overall a pretty lousy day.

Since Dan is losing his mountain place, and we’re all capped on storage, I think we’re going to have to sell the EwHaul after the move is done. Which is kind of a shame, but perhaps for the better. At least it’s been super useful for this move.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

It’s as sketchy as it looks:

But it fit, by a hair.

Aaaand it’s immediately in use and the garage is packed.

It’s like I’m making the opposite version of that Justification for a Higher Education poster.

I also adopted a pallet rack from my friend, and my plan was to put it above these shelves, but it sticks out so far I kind of hate it. But if I move the crossbar height I could stack up those storage bins. Other option is at the end of the bay, above my lathe, but then I would need to pull down the tire racks, and it would have to precariously sit on the elevated concrete foundation, since it’s too wide to sit on the floor.

Or I just give it away and deal with it. But as you can see I am sorely in need of more storage.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Dr Rocksalt posted:

Gee that looks like a skirt was rubbing real bad let’s take a look at that…

OH GOD
Other side is okay? Not all pistons saw it on the same side, which I find odd.

I don’t see a smoking gun for the origin of all this yet. Obviously there was a ton of piston to wall contact, which then pulled in a ton of metal. But what would cause that much contact after a rebuild? I’m no engine CSI if someone could chime in.

I ain't no engine whisperer, but I have two potentials from my Corvair days:

1) They put forged pistons in bores sized for standard cast pistons. Forged pistons expand a good deal more. Piston to wall clearance is a super important spec in air cooled land, not sure on your Fjord. Also not sure if your pistons are forged, they could have just left too little clearance anyway.

2) You definitely have arrows on your pistons, indicating offset piston pins. Were the arrows all pointing the same way, and was it the correct way?

Edit) 3) Of course it could have just overheated, duh. How's the water pump/etc? Got a good straight edge to check for a warped deck/heads?

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 11, 2024

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

351W block, crank, etc are all dropped off at the machine shop. This is the first time I’ve ever worked with a machine shop for engine stuff, so I’m sure I looked like a complete doofus. They were far less crusty and grumpy than other machinists I’ve encountered, though. Their opinion is that it wasn’t flat out overheated, it looked like it may have been fueling so much it washed the cylinder walls. Here’s hoping that all goes well.

You’d think this would mean I dedicated time to any other projects, but instead got sucked into Volvo stuff. I was suspicious of my MAP vacuum routing, so I changed to a vacuum block to try to smooth the MAP readings out. It also cleans up the bay a tiny bit.

I’m trying to sell that Caddy supercharger to get some cash in my pocket and clean out the garage. When taking pictures of it, my mind started churning and thinking stupid thoughts. So here’s the ports of the charger with a 1UZ lower intake gasket on it:

Hmmmm. And here it is sitting in top on wood spacers:

Well dammit, that’s not a deal breaker yet. The pulley alignment could even work, I think. One tricky part is that the 1UZ has the opposite bank cylinder ports to the front versus the Caddy. I think I could overcome this, though.
One tricky part is that the lower intake flange on the 1UZ is angled, but then bolts go straight down, not perpendicular to the face. That’ll make machining a touch tricky, but I have a few ideas.

It is a beyond-dumb level idea, but I also want to try it merely as a “why not” thing. It looks like it sticks up a ton, but measurements say it’s actually less tall by a half inch than the top of the ITB air cleaner setup.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
yes, this is correct. continue.

:getin:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Dumb? This is brilliant and logical and proves you are a smarty-smart who outsmarts all other smarty-smarts.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Another critical construction project: my younger daughter said she wanted red velvet cake with “surprise me” decoration. Whenever they ask me what I’m getting them for birthdays or holidays, we always joke it’s weird things like ten live squids, or exploding worms. Well I took the exploding worms thing and made an exploding worm cake that she absolutely adored. The cotton candy was supposed to look more like an explosion, but it was still cool.

Project work has been very slow as I get distracted easily. I scanned gaskets for the supercharger and 1UZ intake to start making flanges in Solidworks. While I don’t have the money for a 3D scanner, I did try photogrammetry on my phone with KIRI Engine, and it made some okay-ish scans. At least enough to start playing a bit more:

The texture hides a lot of the lousy shapes that it generates. Lots of clean up to do.

Since the newer iPhones have lidar on both front and rear cameras, I tried Scandy to get better scans. The tricky part is that the forward facing phone has awful lidar resolution, and produces junk. The face recognition camera has much better resolution but that means you have to point your camera at the object without seeing the screen. You can get around this by connecting an external monitor to the USB-C port, which is neat. BUT Scandy needs you to move incredibly slowly and it loses tracking often, which makes it extremely hard to scan bigger objects.

I think I’ll just use the sketchy photogrammetry method, and reconstruct the important surfaces with created parts and real life measurements.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

During the last race in the Volvo we had a fuel issue and needed to take the filler off the fuel cell. The buna gasket ripped, so replaced it with paper as an emergency fix. I finally got around to making new ones. One change was punching out the bolt holes instead of poorly drilling them, which just tears and wads up material like this. This was particularly troublesome on the old one because there’s a gasket between the bladder and the outer steel, and aligning all those things together with the backing plate bolts is a mess.
I turned down an old hose barb to act as the punch.

Then used an overkill level of press to punch through cleanly.

(Practice piece)

Then struggle to clean all the old gasket off without bursting into flames or getting it all in the cell, fish all the old gasket (now torn to shreds from something), and reinstall. The hydromat magnets had sucked to themselves, which I’m hoping was from me pulling the filler out to undo it and not some other disaster. In any event, back together now.

I bought a new toy thanks to poor impulse control, a sale, and some of you on here doing cool stuff:

A little stringy, but I imagine some fine tuning to do:

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I would strongly recommend taking high res video, decimating it, and running it through meshroom on a PC. You get a lot of similar issues, just the quality is much better.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Commodore_64 posted:

I would strongly recommend taking high res video, decimating it, and running it through meshroom on a PC. You get a lot of similar issues, just the quality is much better.

This is an extremely good tip, thank you. I’m not saying it’s your fault I spent money, but I will be invoicing you:

I’ve been running Solidworks on a Windows bootcamp partition of my MacBook, which you can imagine runs like rear end, and the fans sound like they’re trying to make it a quadcopter. And newer Macs don’t even allow bootcamp so that’s out the window for newer ones. With now having a 3D printer and actually enjoying CAD stuff, I had been shopping for a desktop. Since gamers are always building new stuff, I got this one for not a bad price. It’s “only” an i5 tenth gen, and it’s “only” a 1080 video card, but the price was good, and compared to what I was using, it may as well be a space ship. Although computer building has changed in the last ten years since I did it, what do you know. Took me a long time to turn off all the drat RGB carnival lights.

The 351W block was done at the machine shop, and I picked it up. So shiny.

Wallet kind of taking a beating this week, for sure. Here’s hoping that tax return gets here soon.

Incredibly dumb question, though. The crank was ground on mains and rods twenty thou. Which I understand just oversized bearings will take care of. But they also line honed the bore because I had new hardware. I don’t know how much they took out of it, but do they usually just skim it only enough to clean it, and you just use standard bearing outer diameter?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Step one of line boring is usually grinding a bit off the caps at the mating surface, so that the bore is slightly undersize and gets brought back to spec by the boring process. Summit doesn't list 351W main bearings in sizing for anything other than the undersize of the crank journal so I can't imagine that needing a larger-OD main bearing is really a thing.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Also, IIRC, shell bearings crush into the bore by virtue of being slightly taller than the caps / effectively a greater circumference. Not sure on the range on that, but it probably could be used to rationalize away small differences.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Coincidentally, I've also been walking the photogrametry road the last couple weeks, trying stuff out to see what works. Meshroom's good, but these guys allow you to create accounts with just a throwaway email right now and the files they can export are pretty comparable to what I've been able to get out of Meshroom out of the same dataset, the advantage being they are obviously burning a lot of VC money to throw at servers so you get a lot faster render times than on my old 1070.

https://poly.cam

You can only export in gltf format from the free tier but blender can resave those in .obj to open palm slap into the Scanto3D importer in Solidworks

One of the input pics

Raw mesh

Autoconverted to solids

(The clown paint was to try and add some texture and reference points, since shiny black tubing is really difficult to reconstruct, but the thing that ended up working best was a spray bottle with some talcum powder dissolved in water)

Kafouille fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 6, 2024

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

There's a fancy version of that with talc and acetone in a rattle can, but its way too much $$$. I think it's used as the "developer" for dye penetrant testing, but it gets a lot of use in 3d scanning. It does help with gloss and pockets/pits, but you might need to add a few reference marks with a paint pen or marker.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Step one of line boring is usually grinding a bit off the caps at the mating surface, so that the bore is slightly undersize and gets brought back to spec by the boring process. Summit doesn't list 351W main bearings in sizing for anything other than the undersize of the crank journal so I can't imagine that needing a larger-OD main bearing is really a thing.

Okay, you and Commodore are smart folks; thank you. That explanation made things square up in my head.

My dad has a special place in his heart for this truck the 351 is going into even though it’s not actually much to write home about. Recently my 7 year old nephew fell in love with it, so my dad “gave it to him” and kicked off this whole thing. Since it’s going to my nephew, I asked him what color he wanted the engine and he chose his favorite, bright green.

After Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer:

John Deere implement paint!

I may try to do something cool with the valve covers too in order to make it extra obnoxious.

Having a 3D printer is quickly becoming a “should have years ago” type tool. Here’s version 1 and 2 of the 1uz flanges to go from the angled port to flat:

Similarly, a computer that doesn’t explode running Solidworks is also apparently a “should have years ago” tool. So much easier to design on, and not as much of a mental chore.

I used Meshroom, as suggested, and took a million pics of the engine and supercharger, then let the computer crank along. Some bits didn’t render well (pulley of the SC for example), but if it’s important I was going to draw accurate Solidworks parts with real life caliper measurements anyway. But this lets me do easier positioning and such.

Solidworks: (the square blocks are wood the SC was sitting on)

And a textured version from blender for fun:

On the mad science front, I’m convinced I can make a hot marmite sundae delicious. Early results are not promising, particularly from my two test kitchen attendees.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Dr Rocksalt posted:

On the mad science front, I’m convinced I can make a hot marmite sundae delicious. Early results are not promising, particularly from my two test kitchen attendees.

why would you do that.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Raluek posted:

why would you do that.

:science:

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Raluek posted:

why would you do that.

I like how out of all the dumb poo poo I do, this is the one that you didn’t like. On dating apps, I used to ask “Ben and Jerry’s makes an ice cream in your honor, what flavor is it, and what is it named?” as an opener. I got sick of the “lol” or “idk” responses, so I’d start making up dumb sounding flavors as a response. But then I started thinking about actually trying this one…

Bearings for the 351W showed up, so I got the crank in, which spun so dang smooth.

I was lazy and only plastigauged it, but I figured since it came straight from grinding at the machinist it would be okay. And the clearances looked spot on.

Then last night I dropped in the pistons. Let’s not discuss how I forgot these rods were chamfered on only one side, and briefly panicked when I couldn’t get the second rod on the same crank journal.

Unfortunately now it’s time to drop a shitload more cash to get this thing buttoned up so it is out of my orbit.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Fog it with oil, I see flash rust starting and you don't want the same thing to happen again when it sits for a few years because you got distracted.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Dr Rocksalt posted:

I like how out of all the dumb poo poo I do, this is the one that you didn’t like. On dating apps, I used to ask “Ben and Jerry’s makes an ice cream in your honor, what flavor is it, and what is it named?” as an opener. I got sick of the “lol” or “idk” responses, so I’d start making up dumb sounding flavors as a response. But then I started thinking about actually trying this one…

everything else you have posted about has made perfect sense to me. idk if that's an indictment of you, or of me.

kastein posted:

Fog it with oil, I see flash rust starting and you don't want the same thing to happen again when it sits for a few years because you got distracted.

ow oof this hits real close to home.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

I keep thinking I’ll work on something actually important, but then I don’t. So here is a mockup of one of the supercharger adapters.

Since the ports don’t have the exact same spacing, the runners need to be slightly different. To make this cheaper to make, I had used just one of those runners, but then widened the base to accommodate any differences between upper and lower. Unfortunately this makes for some bolt hole occlusion:

As a Hail Mary, asked xometry to price out the whole thing as one machined unit, and it came back shockingly cheap if made overseas with long lead time. I doubt the accuracy of this because the version I uploaded had some “probably impossible to machine” features, but I’m going to refine it to “vaguely possible” and resubmit. Protolabs was utterly out of sight, as expected.

My race helmet was about to age out (and was like the most beginner of beginner cheap ones), so race buddy and I went and tried on a ton. I ended up with a Bell that was expensive but fits way better. Right in time, since I leave for this Oklahoma race next week.

Also ordered a ton of 351W parts. Let’s hope my customer ponies up the cash soon.

The trans on the Volvo is dripping, and now that I have a lift, it may be less awful to work under. But to do that I need to get the festiva off of it, and then eventually back on. I snagged a wall plug portable winch, but now just need the motivation to do so.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Just curious, how much would that part weigh in aluminum?

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Commodore_64 posted:

Just curious, how much would that part weigh in aluminum?

Probably a lot, or “too much,” but compared to this blower weighing so drat much, yolo?

Printed pieces for both sides. Not final designs, but reality check for measurements.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Not shiny and chrome but it'll do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Dr Rocksalt posted:

Probably a lot, or “too much,” but compared to this blower weighing so drat much, yolo?

Printed pieces for both sides. Not final designs, but reality check for measurements.

Sorry to be coy / not explain fully. I was just wondering if it could be cast from the standard crucible a hobbyist electric furnace. Something like https://www.amazon.com/TOAUTO-Upgra...142&sr=8-2&th=1

They claim to do .9kg of aluminum in a crucible, so maybe .8 or so in reality. I was thinking you could do a lost pla casting in plaster or green sand. I've been really interested in trying this lately so I was curious.