Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i don't understand how you have the ability to do one of those things, let alone a whole list of them, so that's major points in your favor. on top of that, looks like you have pretty good taste. looking forward to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
those tattoos fucken rule, holy moly

i hope the cost of your penance doesn't count against your $500 car budget

speaking of which, how do custom pistons and a nascar dry sump not just immediately blow that up

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Dr Rocksalt posted:

Lemons is weird, in that the $500 rule is fairly loose. Basically everyone has multiples more than that put in, and a huge chunk of folks are running cheater-ish parts where you can't see. But the "BS Inspection" judges basically want to see you're following the spirit of the competition. Rumor has it that the judges could call you on it and hand you $500 to take your car if they think you're way outside the lines. The interesting thing with our team is that the judges like that we do things the bizarre and interesting way, so they give us a LOT of leeway with budget. We're not showing up with a spec e46 or something and saying it's a Lemon.

yeah this mentality really turns me off of lemons, tbh. it turns it into a popularity contest, instead of who can build the best car they can within the rules. and the organization being able to wipe out all that hard work with $500 in cash really sucks too.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

It looks like I totally brain farted and yeah ZigBee is 2.4 ism not 900 ism. Advertised range is up to about 100m, you might be able to extend that using a vertical collinear dipole antenna for the paddock base station and stick it on the tallest post you can manage. I see some products advertising up to 2km on ZigBee but never used them and can't vouch for them.

If anyone on your team is a ham radio operator you could use the ham 900mhz band at basically any power level you could conceivably desire using 900MHz handheld radios along with some home brew FSK modulator/demodulator setups (mod should be easy, I may even have a circuit for it on hand, demod with an RTL-SDR?) as long as you don't encrypt, pause regularly, and identify regularly. That is, if you don't want to use the mid 3 figure price tag 900MHz rs232 extenders I'm seeing online, which seems like a waste of money to me.

ubnt used to sell some 900 MHz nanostations, if ethernet is an option. looks like they're still a couple hundred bucks on ebay tho

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
if you're getting a bunch of garbage data / failed decode, and signals flickering in and out, it sounds like bad termination, or bad grounding/shielding, or insufficient bypass cap on the digital stuff.

ive never worked with CAN, and these are probably some of the first things you'll check anyway, so i doubt this is helpful lol

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

sharkytm posted:

Unfortunately, cheap cast vises are super common because the old forged one's manufacturers either went out of business or only make industrial quality ($$$) stuff now. It used to be that even inexpensive vises were pretty good, but when they last 50+years, there's not much repeat business. Fireball Tool has their insane vise, I'm sure that would hold up, lol.

I'm sure you know this, but try to find a used one from a major pre-1960 manufacturer. Wilton is the standard, but there's lots of other brands. I have a bunch. Parker, Athol, Yost, Prentiss, etc.

unfortunately, sellers know this now too. what used to be scrap metal priced is now several hundred dollars for something that needs a full restoration before it's usable, even at a garage/estate sale or whatever

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Dr Rocksalt posted:

New vise acquired. I really wanted an old school high quality one, but that wasn’t in the cards, so big cheap HF it is. I also bought an air impact to aid in these cam gear bolts. I bought the cheap Central Pneumatic, and it was awful. Returned it today and got the Earthquake one for way too much. Alas, even this one didn’t do the trick. I had to use heat to crack them, and even then I had to use a length of pipe on a breaker bar for one since the impact wouldn’t do it. In any event, I can proceed with timing install now.

I put on the thicker IAC block offs with better NPT barbs, and used blue RTV. No change in idle. So it goes.

During the test fire this evening it doesn’t look like my code to fix the rpm dropouts doesn’t 100% fix the issue, but it’s better. I’m also getting worried the coolant pressure sensor is broken, since it’s not reading above 0 ever, and I verified the wiring is okay with a different PSI scale one. Beans.

Sounds like a bunch of the crew can come on Saturday to help wrench, which will be a relief. Coparent is back in town now, so I will have a chance to actually drive this thing to auto tune it.

you work on cars way too much to not have a cordless electric nutfucker.

i always thought my air impact was "fine", it's the >1000lb-ft ingersoll titanium that i got from johnny thunders on here along with everyone else. sure, it's annoying to drag out the loud lovely compressor and all the air line that gets in your way whenever you want to bust off a stuck fastener, but that's the cost of performance, right? well, a couple years ago, i was trying to get a pitman arm off a junkyard steering box, even using one of those fancy pullers and everything. no dice, i was repeatedly emptying my compressor and it wasn't budging. ok, well i know my little compressor kind of sucks, let me just take the steering box and gun to work, plug it into the unlimited 90psi shop air. gun was hammering away for like a minute straight, no luck. ok, lets abuse the hell out of the gun and open the regulator all the way, i don't remember how high but well past 100psi. no matter what i did, that gun was stalled. so, as a last ditch, i hit up a friend who has a beat up dewalt cordless that's usually bouncing around in the back of his jeep. i drive to his house, slap his gun onto my pitman arm puller, it rattles for exactly two impacts before just spinning the arm off effortlessly. anyway, i got one of the top end milwaukee M18 impacts shortly thereafter, and i really don't miss having to deal with the air compressor all the time. they pay for themselves the first time you really need them.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
are those IR non-contact thermometers actually accurate? i thought they made some pretty vague guesses about the emissivity of the surface you're measuring, and also average the light from a pretty wide cone, so you end up measuring your intended surface and everything around it.

i would really trust a plain old thermocouple more for this sort of thing, personally.

kastein posted:

Welds look fine but I'm a bit concerned about how you're going to get that flange onto the stud and put the nut on now.

:lol: hopefully it's the kind of flange that rotates freely

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
water's 0.95 according to the table i just googled real quick. the last sensor i looked at for work assumed 0.9, for example. idk, is 5% error a big deal for sensor calibration? or some other number, that's just an example, who knows what this unit uses. my point is that unless you're really careful, i would trust them for "about how hot is this" not "calibrate my sensors with it" type tasks

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Dr Rocksalt posted:

Anyhoo, pipe dreams, y’all tell me not to make a bad decision.

the bad decision is not V8 swapping every sports car you can :colbert:

does anyone swap the titan V8, or would that be another thing you'd be doing from scratch?

Dr Rocksalt posted:

Also might be partnering with the wrecked Miata team on a one-off build of an Austin Princess; I’ll know more soon.

wait what

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
looks like the cheapest 351 crate motor on summit is almost 4k, so i guess junkyard motor it is. probably kind of hard to find one that's not totally worn out by now, but it's not like those trucks are rare.

how in the world did a mechanic "screw up" two other almost complete engines? is there enough good parts across those to kludge into one good motor?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
whichever motor has the cleanest bores, yeah. if you can do it without needing any machining, you could probably do it pretty cheap and quick. should be interesting to follow along if you post about it here

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
yes, this is correct. continue.

:getin:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Dr Rocksalt posted:

On the mad science front, I’m convinced I can make a hot marmite sundae delicious. Early results are not promising, particularly from my two test kitchen attendees.

why would you do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Dr Rocksalt posted:

I like how out of all the dumb poo poo I do, this is the one that you didn’t like. On dating apps, I used to ask “Ben and Jerry’s makes an ice cream in your honor, what flavor is it, and what is it named?” as an opener. I got sick of the “lol” or “idk” responses, so I’d start making up dumb sounding flavors as a response. But then I started thinking about actually trying this one…

everything else you have posted about has made perfect sense to me. idk if that's an indictment of you, or of me.

kastein posted:

Fog it with oil, I see flash rust starting and you don't want the same thing to happen again when it sits for a few years because you got distracted.

ow oof this hits real close to home.