Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Suburban Dad posted:

If it makes you feel better, I once did something similar in a Miata. Battery is in the trunk in the corner and it's tiny, so a wrench or ratchet can touch both terminals simultaneously without much trouble. Except then there's trouble. It didn't do any damage but scared the poo poo out of me.

It was either this or I put the battery in backwards. It has been some years since then.
I did this just recently when changing the battery on my Fit. I installed it but then noticed that the positive terminal was still loose even after fully tightening it as it didn't get seated properly. The wrench slipped off the nut and bridged the terminals, generating lots of sparks and urine in pants. There's a mark on the wrench where it made contact but no other damage thankfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Raluek posted:

are those IR non-contact thermometers actually accurate? i thought they made some pretty vague guesses about the emissivity of the surface you're measuring, and also average the light from a pretty wide cone, so you end up measuring your intended surface and everything around it.

It looks like OP was measuring the water temperature in the pot so it's a pretty large surface and the emissivity is very high so it's probably "good enough"