Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Where's their PPE?

He's fast enough he can just knock the sparks and metal shavings out of the air before they contact his eyes.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKzvYzlSBHE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Dr Rocksalt posted:

Gee that looks like a skirt was rubbing real bad let’s take a look at that…

OH GOD
Other side is okay? Not all pistons saw it on the same side, which I find odd.

I don’t see a smoking gun for the origin of all this yet. Obviously there was a ton of piston to wall contact, which then pulled in a ton of metal. But what would cause that much contact after a rebuild? I’m no engine CSI if someone could chime in.

I ain't no engine whisperer, but I have two potentials from my Corvair days:

1) They put forged pistons in bores sized for standard cast pistons. Forged pistons expand a good deal more. Piston to wall clearance is a super important spec in air cooled land, not sure on your Fjord. Also not sure if your pistons are forged, they could have just left too little clearance anyway.

2) You definitely have arrows on your pistons, indicating offset piston pins. Were the arrows all pointing the same way, and was it the correct way?

Edit) 3) Of course it could have just overheated, duh. How's the water pump/etc? Got a good straight edge to check for a warped deck/heads?

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 11, 2024

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I would strongly recommend taking high res video, decimating it, and running it through meshroom on a PC. You get a lot of similar issues, just the quality is much better.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Also, IIRC, shell bearings crush into the bore by virtue of being slightly taller than the caps / effectively a greater circumference. Not sure on the range on that, but it probably could be used to rationalize away small differences.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

There's a fancy version of that with talc and acetone in a rattle can, but its way too much $$$. I think it's used as the "developer" for dye penetrant testing, but it gets a lot of use in 3d scanning. It does help with gloss and pockets/pits, but you might need to add a few reference marks with a paint pen or marker.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Just curious, how much would that part weigh in aluminum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Dr Rocksalt posted:

Probably a lot, or “too much,” but compared to this blower weighing so drat much, yolo?

Printed pieces for both sides. Not final designs, but reality check for measurements.

Sorry to be coy / not explain fully. I was just wondering if it could be cast from the standard crucible a hobbyist electric furnace. Something like https://www.amazon.com/TOAUTO-Upgra...142&sr=8-2&th=1

They claim to do .9kg of aluminum in a crucible, so maybe .8 or so in reality. I was thinking you could do a lost pla casting in plaster or green sand. I've been really interested in trying this lately so I was curious.