Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

DreadUnknown posted:

I can totally do that after work.

I appreciate you. I have no delusions of some grand marketing blitz or anything but I would like the game to have a rating on Steam.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Played one tonight and got a win. Final stats:

27 turns
1 passenger killed: -10
87.5 Psychosis: -87.5
0 turns over par: 0

Final score: -97.5

It definitely feels a little more fair than it did before, but still tough. Also knowing that I could safely dismantle the screens in navigation for more parts helped. That ability should definitely be tutorialized because it is drat near necessary. I also kept engines and replicator overclocked as often as reasonably possible.

I got lucky in a few ways: I had cryo locked and broken for a few turns but got the medical implant that prevents 1 passenger a turn from dying. I also got the "you can inoculate a passenger from a fake disease for -stress but a 5% chance of killing him" insanity which let me clear a bunch of stress midgame. (By the way, I wonder if you might want to change the flavor of that a little so people don't think you're making some sly anti-vaxx COVID denier statement).

The one passenger I lost was because I got the insanity where I had to kill one or take 50 fatigue per turn and that much fatigue that late in the game would have had been a disaster. I was super low on parts anyway so I killed a damaged pod rather than fix it.

Completed the "Off by One" story arc which was pretty good.

soulmata
Jun 19, 2019

BOOSTIN BOOSTIN BOOSTIN MAKES ME FEEL GOOD

SoggyBobcat posted:

Thank you, I really appreciate it.

I appreciate you giving our game a chance. On that subject, I also looked into some other non-GPU code and found some incredibly inefficient functions that were chewing up half the framerate or more. While they won't compensate for a lack of GPU, the performance difference is massive enough I imagine that with our 0.4 release the game will run much better for you. Stay tuned!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

StarkRavingMad posted:

Played one tonight and got a win. Final stats:

27 turns
1 passenger killed: -10
87.5 Psychosis: -87.5
0 turns over par: 0

Final score: -97.5

It definitely feels a little more fair than it did before, but still tough. Also knowing that I could safely dismantle the screens in navigation for more parts helped. That ability should definitely be tutorialized because it is drat near necessary. I also kept engines and replicator overclocked as often as reasonably possible.

I got lucky in a few ways: I had cryo locked and broken for a few turns but got the medical implant that prevents 1 passenger a turn from dying. I also got the "you can inoculate a passenger from a fake disease for -stress but a 5% chance of killing him" insanity which let me clear a bunch of stress midgame. (By the way, I wonder if you might want to change the flavor of that a little so people don't think you're making some sly anti-vaxx COVID denier statement).

The one passenger I lost was because I got the insanity where I had to kill one or take 50 fatigue per turn and that much fatigue that late in the game would have had been a disaster. I was super low on parts anyway so I killed a damaged pod rather than fix it.

Completed the "Off by One" story arc which was pretty good.

noted on the inoculation stuff, i'll think about that. to at least make it unequivocal in this thread at least, soul and i are both very much of the opinion that COVID is real and the vaccine is a good thing and that people who say otherwise are dumbhead sillypants people.

we've gotten a number of other insanities in that encourage killing people though, because in our original vision of the game we kind of saw psychosis and passengers as dual health bars. if i am at 50 psychosis and all my passengers are alive, you'd better believe that i am no longer bending over backwards for the meatbags, as far as i'm concerned at least 4 of them need to die before i will accept a single extra psychosis point for their benefit. what's actually been the case, however, is that we've seen numerous players happily drive themselves to breakdown to avoid even a single passenger dying. one thing we will need to do better at communicating is that your job is to get A human to the end, not ALL humans. playing no-deaths is really kind of a challenge mode.

we've added a few extra insanities to help try to drive this point home, and all of the random events that kill passengers will now give you some benefit to doing that. gamma burst is probably the biggest instance, it can let you allow 3 passengers to die, but it gives you a whopping 12 machine parts for doing that. that said, the narrative arcs kind of support this play style, since you will still advance through the story so long as you complete the arc. if you happen to become a quivering, senseless wreck later, well, that's just the hazards of the job.

unrelated, but did you see any inspirations or cooldown events? The cooldown events are pretty easy to pick out, they're the very rare event where there is only one choice and that choice is a very good thing. if you didn't at any point i'd be kind of interested in inspecting your savegame. you can find the saves at C:\Users\[Name]\AppData\Roaming\EndlessDark, but they unfortunately disappear after you see the score to make room for the next game. don't be afraid to toss the file up somewhere and link it though, even just uploading it to a garbage discord chat is plenty to toss it into this thread. we specifically tried to dial in these boons to fire when you're starting to death spiral, specifically to pull you back from that brink and keep you playing.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 3, 2023

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Coolguye posted:

we've gotten a number of other insanities in that encourage killing people though, because in our original vision of the game we kind of saw psychosis and passengers as dual health bars. if i am at 50 psychosis and all my passengers are alive, you'd better believe that i am no longer bending over backwards for the meatbags, as far as i'm concerned at least 4 of them need to die before i will accept a single extra psychosis point for their benefit. what's actually been the case, however, is that we've seen numerous players happily drive themselves to breakdown to avoid even a single passenger dying. one thing we will need to do better at communicating is that your job is to get A human to the end, not ALL humans. playing no-deaths is really kind of a challenge mode.

this explains so much

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Coolguye posted:

I appreciate you. I have no delusions of some grand marketing blitz or anything but I would like the game to have a rating on Steam.

Review posted, will drive poor lil robot friend more insane soon.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Runa posted:

this explains so much

yeah kill like 3 people in the second act of the game your next run and see how much easier the director takes it on you. just saying. we will be retooling this a bit in 0.4 so it's less drastic but it's very much in the spirit of the game for dead people to help your situation.

DreadUnknown posted:

Review posted, will drive poor lil robot friend more insane soon.

i appreciate you! \o/!!!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Coolguye posted:

noted on the inoculation stuff, i'll think about that. to at least make it unequivocal in this thread at least, soul and i are both very much of the opinion that COVID is real and the vaccine is a good thing and that people who say otherwise are dumbhead sillypants people.

Yeah I didn't mean to attribute any negative viewpoint to you, so much as it's a messy puddle I don't want your game to inadvertently step in. You know how the Steam forums get.

quote:

we've added a few extra insanities to help try to drive this point home, and all of the random events that kill passengers will now give you some benefit to doing that. gamma burst is probably the biggest instance, it can let you allow 3 passengers to die, but it gives you a whopping 12 machine parts for doing that. that said, the narrative arcs kind of support this play style, since you will still advance through the story so long as you complete the arc. if you happen to become a quivering, senseless wreck later, well, that's just the hazards of the job.

So as a player, I've been seeing it as my primary mission to get the passengers where they are going, and basically everything else can be sacrificed for that. There's a few ways I can think of to make it more clear to the player that this (at least arguably) isn't the case.

The first is a UI change. Right now, in the task list, Cryo blinks colors when it is damaged, as does each individual pod. To me, that indicates that each pod is in the category of mission-critical. What if instead, mission critical systems did that (Cryo, Reactor, Navigation, Engines, maybe Shields), and less important systems (Observation, Command, door breakers, etc) stayed white? And then each individual pod if damaged was also white? This would communicate to me that each individual person is not considered mission-critical by the ship's programming. And in a way, that's more horrible and dystopian if the ship itself considers each individual person as being on the same level of importance as, say, a door breaker.

The second is that you say above "you'd better believe that i am no longer bending over backwards for the meatbags, as far as i'm concerned at least 4 of them need to die before i will accept a single extra psychosis point for their benefit." To me, that indicates in your conception of the game some resentment toward the passengers that I'm not necessarily feeling as a player. Part of it is that I can see resentment toward the people who put Robbie in this position, but it's not clear to me as the player (and maybe I missed some lore in that regard) that the pod people are responsible. For all I know, they could be unwilling conscripted workers, or prisoners, or some poor disadvantaged folks being sent off to colonize a hellworld because they had no other means to get by. They could be in as hopeless a position as Robbie. All I know is that they are helpless in their pods, and I'm their custodian. Currently, I feel parental toward them. So one thing you could do is put something in the intro of each game describing something Robbie knows about the mission. It could even change game to game. They could be the idle super-rich, putting Robbie through all of this just to vacation on a paradise planet. They could be industrialists, travelling to wreck a planet and exploit its resources. You get the picture; just something to communicate to the player that these people are probably assholes and this trip is their fault.

A second thing I could think of would be an occasional event where a passenger wakes up and communicates with Robbie. Could be a chance when a pod is damaged that a passenger briefly comes out of it and asks for a status report. Maybe this breaks the sense of isolation you are going for too much, I don't know. But I'm thinking they could range from dismissive "Shut up and tell me when we're going to get there" to outright hostile "Get your metal claws away from me, you horrible thing!" before they go back under. You could have the occasional nice person but for the most part they would treat Robbie at best as another piece of machinery. Or if you didn't want the passengers to wake up, maybe a pod breaking could "accidentally" unlock a diary log, or glimpse into the sleeping person's thought patterns, or something. Some way to attribute some personality traits to some of them and build some resentment. If we know Bill in pod 4 is a real jerk, and now his pod is damaged, well maybe my precious repair parts could be better used fixing that pesky stuck door in navigation...

Or going the other way, rather than humanizing the passengers, you could say -- or just imply -- that some or all of the passengers are clones. You wouldn't even have to explicitly call this out, now that I'm thinking on it. What if the passengers in pods 6-10 had the same names as passengers 1-5? Like, Pod 1 is Bob Jones and Pod 6 is Bob Jones(2) with all the same stats; Pod 2 is Amy Smith and Pod 7 is Amy Smith(2), etc. You wouldn't even need to comment further on it on the game, just let the players see that in the manifest and draw their own conclusions. It could just be a glitch in the passenger list, we know the ship's systems are not infallible. We couldn't be sure as the player. But it could be that the ship is carrying a redundant clone of each person. Which creates some interesting moral questions. Is it fine to kill off a clone? Is a life less precious if it isn't unique? At the very least, players might be more inclined to kill off what they think is a redundant clone.

quote:

unrelated, but did you see any inspirations or cooldown events? The cooldown events are pretty easy to pick out, they're the very rare event where there is only one choice and that choice is a very good thing. if you didn't at any point i'd be kind of interested in inspecting your savegame. you can find the saves at C:\Users\[Name]\AppData\Roaming\EndlessDark, but they unfortunately disappear after you see the score to make room for the next game. don't be afraid to toss the file up somewhere and link it though, even just uploading it to a garbage discord chat is plenty to toss it into this thread. we specifically tried to dial in these boons to fire when you're starting to death spiral, specifically to pull you back from that brink and keep you playing.

I know I saw one the first time I went over on stress. Don't remember the stats exactly but it was better than the standard options so I took it. I don't recall any others.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah there's an inspiration for the first stress break that is supposed to give you a backoff thing, but it kind of assumes you are going to take it easy for a few turns. there are others.

i'd be interested in getting your savegames so i can look at them, i have a sneaking suspicion your play style is finding a seam in our difficulty calculations wherein the hurts you're taking are not being properly evaluated or responded to by the Director.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Coolguye posted:

yeah there's an inspiration for the first stress break that is supposed to give you a backoff thing, but it kind of assumes you are going to take it easy for a few turns. there are others.

i'd be interested in getting your savegames so i can look at them, i have a sneaking suspicion your play style is finding a seam in our difficulty calculations wherein the hurts you're taking are not being properly evaluated or responded to by the Director.

Do you need a game in progress, or are old save games archived somewhere? And where does the game put save files?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i unfortunately need to ask for a game in progress, after you hit continue at the score screen your save is deleted to make room for your next game. i should add a card about that on the trello, really.

the game puts its save files at C:\Users\[Name]\AppData\Roaming\EndlessDark - on windows, anyway. let me know if you're using our linux build and i'll double check that.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Coolguye posted:

i unfortunately need to ask for a game in progress, after you hit continue at the score screen your save is deleted to make room for your next game. i should add a card about that on the trello, really.

the game puts its save files at C:\Users\[Name]\AppData\Roaming\EndlessDark - on windows, anyway. let me know if you're using our linux build and i'll double check that.

Okay, next time I play a game, I'll back up saves at a few points and then put them in a zip or something and send you a dropbox link to them.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Don't worry about doing it iteratively, just try to remember as you hit the end game or get close to it. The save includes all the debug logging since the beginning of the game because, you know, early access. we basically have all the information we need to run a let's play recreation in that 40kb file.

in advance, i appreciate you! \o/

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Coolguye posted:

Don't worry about doing it iteratively, just try to remember as you hit the end game or get close to it. The save includes all the debug logging since the beginning of the game because, you know, early access. we basically have all the information we need to run a let's play recreation in that 40kb file.

in advance, i appreciate you! \o/

Ok, here's one for you: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ff6r7i2q017xlyx/EndlessDark.zip?dl=0

Not a great run, I won it on turn 28 with 2 passengers dead (one intentional) and like 97.5% psychosis. I made some poor choices midgame. I saw 3 or 4 inspirations, I think...makes sense I'd see more this time since my back was against the wall for a lot of it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

OK, this is starting to make some sense.

code:
			[1849] = "debug: DIRECTOR: Chaos complete. Desired tension: 58 Starting tension: 61.2 Ending tension: 61.7";
Turn 18.

code:
			[1590] = "debug: DIRECTOR: Chaos complete. Desired tension: 68 Starting tension: 38.955 Ending tension: 38.955";
Turn 19.

code:
			[1472] = "debug: DIRECTOR: Chaos complete. Desired tension: 63.5 Starting tension: 31.0925 Ending tension: 41.5925";
Turn 20.

On turn 18, you made a bunch of machine parts to get everything fixed, right after you got the persecution complex. Repairing all of those systems crashed your tension and put the director in a spot where it was trying to pressure you with random events for a few turns, which always offer you a chance to gently caress yourself up rather than gently caress the ship up.

This kind of confirms something that soul pointed out to me a few days ago and I ultimately agreed with. We should not be firing random events in response to tension being low; it's too hard to quantify what they will do, and it creates these weird situations where players are technically on a break from the tension, but it sure as hell doesn't feel like it because they are getting hammered with random events, which all require some fairly deep thinking even if you aren't reading the prompt; figuring out which option to choose is rarely easy.

0.4 will have a new class of ship malfunctions that we use for this sort of situation, where the ship has some sort of larger systemic failure that causes you to run around and coax it back into working order by doing some dumb ritual to the machine spirit, rather than repairing something. It will be a much more consistent response that you can pace out over a few turns if your stress and fatigue can't handle it right now.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 4, 2023

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Coolguye posted:

OK, this is starting to make some sense.

code:
			[1849] = "debug: DIRECTOR: Chaos complete. Desired tension: 58 Starting tension: 61.2 Ending tension: 61.7";
Turn 18.

code:
			[1590] = "debug: DIRECTOR: Chaos complete. Desired tension: 68 Starting tension: 38.955 Ending tension: 38.955";
Turn 19.

code:
			[1472] = "debug: DIRECTOR: Chaos complete. Desired tension: 63.5 Starting tension: 31.0925 Ending tension: 41.5925";
Turn 20.

On turn 18, you made a bunch of machine parts to get everything fixed, right after you got the persecution complex. Repairing all of those systems crashed your tension and put the director in a spot where it was trying to pressure you with random events for a few turns, which always offer you a chance to gently caress yourself up rather than gently caress the ship up.

This kind of confirms something that soul pointed out to me a few days ago and I ultimately agreed with. We should not be firing random events in response to tension being low; it's too hard to quantify what they will do, and it creates these weird situations where players are technically on a break from the tension, but it sure as hell doesn't feel like it because they are getting hammered with random events, which all require some fairly deep thinking even if you aren't reading the prompt; figuring out which option to choose is rarely easy.

0.4 will have a new class of ship malfunctions that we use for this sort of situation, where the ship has some sort of larger systemic failure that causes you to run around and coax it back into working order by doing some dumb ritual to the machine spirit, rather than repairing something. It will be a much more consistent response that you can pace out over a few turns if your stress and fatigue can't handle it right now.

Yeah that all makes sense to me and sounds like a good adjustment. I'm aware of how things like the director work, but I don't want to be in a position of trying to "game the Director" and keep things moderately screwed up to try and keep my tension low as opposed to Robbie "doing his best" -- especially since I'm sort of early access beta testing for you all here, and that's probably how most players would play the full game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Well there's not a lot of gaming that needs to go on because we intentionally set up the big jumps that the director has for tension to be poor catch-up methods in terms of raw numbers. If you have enough of a turn where the director has to get 30+ tension out, we could easily get that done by guaranteeing system damage. But we don't do that because if you're that far ahead, you deserve to STAY ahead for a little bit. That was why we went with events in the first place, precisely since we knew they were probably not going to get you the raw numbers.

From a numerical perspective this actually stll works pretty well because were right where you should be on tension for most of the game after this, though.

code:
			[33] = "debug: DIRECTOR: Chaos complete. Desired tension: 78.5 Starting tension: 73.6025 Ending tension: 73.6025";
Turn 28

code:
		[173] = "debug: DIRECTOR: Chaos complete. Desired tension: 76.25 Starting tension: 69.24 Ending tension: 72.74";
Turn 27

etc etc, you spiked up to 90 tension on one turn but it was because you got unlucky with system damage (your reactor took a hit and it knocked half of the ship offline), but you repaired stuff and it was OK afterward.

This is the big thing that makes it clear how bad you got hammered with events though:

code:
			[178] = "debug: EVENTS: I've already randomly run event event_56 so I won't do it again. Coolguy sux.";
			[179] = "debug: EVENTS: I've already randomly run event event_11 so I won't do it again. Coolguy sux.";
			[180] = "debug: EVENTS: I've already randomly run event event_28 so I won't do it again. Coolguy sux.";
			[181] = "debug: EVENTS: I've already randomly run event event_58 so I won't do it again. Coolguy sux.";
			[182] = "debug: EVENTS: I've already randomly run event event_22 so I won't do it again. Coolguy sux.";
			[183] = "debug: EVENTS: I've already randomly run event event_47 so I won't do it again. Coolguy sux.";
			[184] = "debug: EVENTS: I've already randomly run event event_53 so I won't do it again. Coolguy sux.";
			[185] = "debug: EVENTS: I've already randomly run event event_08 so I won't do it again. Coolguy sux.";
			[186] = "debug: EVENTS: I've already randomly run event event_13 so I won't do it again. Coolguy sux.";
			[187] = "debug: EVENTS: I've already randomly run event event_31 so I won't do it again. Coolguy sux.";
			[188] = "debug: EVENTS: I've already randomly run event event_03 so I won't do it again. Coolguy sux.";
			[189] = "debug: EVENTS: I've already randomly run event event_24 so I won't do it again. Coolguy sux.";
			[190] = "debug: EVENTS: I've already randomly run event event_09 so I won't do it again. Coolguy sux.";
			[191] = "debug: EVENTS: I've already randomly run event event_59 so I won't do it again. Coolguy sux.";
			[192] = "debug: EVENTS: I've already randomly run event event_38 so I won't do it again. Coolguy sux.";
			[193] = "debug: EVENTS: I've already randomly run event event_04 so I won't do it again. Coolguy sux.";
			[194] = "debug: EVENTS: I've already randomly run event event_26 so I won't do it again. Coolguy sux.";
			[195] = "debug: EVENTS: I've already randomly run event event_01 so I won't do it again. Coolguy sux.";
This is on turn 27. The game found 18 events that you had seen before it finally came up with one you hadn't. We force a random event every 3 turns, and then the observation window gives you some extras that maybe explains up to 12 or so. 18 is a shitload, and that's just what this invocation happened to trip on before it found one. You probably were up to over 20 events at this time. That's insane, over double what we loosely budgeted for a single game. The ship malfunctions will be a better solution.

e: i can confirm you did NOT see a cooldown event at any point, too; you were very much on top of the harsh tension spikes, and cooldown events wait to see if you have a couple bad turns in a row before they kick off.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 4, 2023

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Coolguye posted:

and then the observation window gives you some extras that maybe explains up to 12 or so.

And I rarely use the observation window, to be honest, usually only if I feel like I want to gamble on getting the stress reduction. I bet I only used the window like 4 or 5 times max. So very likely the large majority there were random events.

soulmata
Jun 19, 2019

BOOSTIN BOOSTIN BOOSTIN MAKES ME FEEL GOOD

StarkRavingMad posted:

And I rarely use the observation window, to be honest, usually only if I feel like I want to gamble on getting the stress reduction. I bet I only used the window like 4 or 5 times max. So very likely the large majority there were random events.

You're gonna love the new bot dropped with 0.4, Annie, who is alllll about using the Observation Window to swap out her insanities for other insanities.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

speaking of 0.4, i should probably put out some of our preliminary patch notes:

code:
* Narrative Arc 4
* Crisis Arc 4
* 20 new random events (brings us up to 80)

* 4 Disasters 
* 1 New betrayal (coolant leak) 
* 1 New Space Hazard 
* 2 additional Modules 
* Additional 4 tracks each for each stage 1,2,3 
* New music stage for high stress but low psychosis 
* toggle to disable shadows 
* toggle to skip first 2 NA 
* 4 Additional Insanities 
* 4 Additional Inspirations 

* New Custodian: ANN-1A (Annie)
* Upgraded ship decorations 
* Sound effect rework and enrichment
* Updated paperdoll art
* Internal upgrades to improve frame rate SUBSTANTIALLY
This list is subject to expanding, especially as I finish the Crisis Arc and the event work I have on my plate and get back to actually playing the game and bringing ideas to the table - typically at this stage in our development cycle I'm fully engaged writing and managing our art team and marketing effort so I have little bandwidth left over. The drop-dead deadline I have given the team internally for all of this is May 1st, but most of this list is already done so it will likely either expand or come earlier, depending on the situation.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 5, 2023

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

from our discord last night:

code:
soulmata — Today at 2:21 AM

narrative arc 4 is complete!
and if you thought the ending of A NEW YOU was depressing, just you wait!

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

I'm sure it's fine, don't worry about it!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

DreadUnknown posted:

oh that's terrifying

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I know, isn't it awesome?!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

heheh. you're gonna love 0.4.

fortunately it shouldn't take too long to get there, the only major impediment left is Annie's artwork, and we got the first draft of her low psychosis setup yesterday (spoilers: she will not be at low psychosis for long):

Obviously lots of detail work still needs to be done but her coloration and form are pretty close to correct.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

DreadUnknown posted:

I had the scrambled UI insanity mixed with "everything on the minimap shows up as a hazard". So aside from the opening log, I had no way to tell where things were damaged or leaking without visually inspecting everything. On top of that I had the thing where he is afraid of doors and freaks out and takes stress damage some portion of the time when he opens one, so walking around the whole ship was a nightmare. Good times.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I had the scrambled UI insanity mixed with "everything on the minimap shows up as a hazard". So aside from the opening log, I had no way to tell where things were damaged or leaking without visually inspecting everything. On top of that I had the thing where he is afraid of doors and freaks out and takes stress damage some portion of the time when he opens one, so walking around the whole ship was a nightmare. Good times.

Yeah the door fear, unable to read, Oops! All Hazards is a real nasty combo.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

so on that note, we found a bug in the code last weekend that is making it about 3-4x more likely you will contract an insanity every turn than we intended. when 0.4.0 hits you can expect to see many fewer stacked insanity situations...................................

........on robbie. One of the reasons we tripped across this is because Annie's explicitly got a doubled chance to contract an insanity per turn.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Coolguye posted:

Power off Observation. Open fire door breaker. Power off Command. Close fire door breaker. Power on Observation. Power on Command. Engines back online. Why the gently caress did that work.

I love the idea for this game, and you're getting a sale, but I'm not going to play until my personal stasis pod has more to stare at from observation than endless white.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

perfectly honestly if you haven't started playing at this point i'd go ahead and just shelve the game a bit longer, you are going to get a huge content drop in a fairly short while here that will add a lot more story, more content in endless mode, another entire custodian to play, and fix a number of fairly high impact bugs.

i appreciate you picking it up! when you do get around to playing it, the crusade for steam reviews never ends so i would love to have your thoughts on it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Coolguye posted:

perfectly honestly if you haven't started playing at this point i'd go ahead and just shelve the game a bit longer, you are going to get a huge content drop in a fairly short while here that will add a lot more story, more content in endless mode, another entire custodian to play, and fix a number of fairly high impact bugs.

i appreciate you picking it up! when you do get around to playing it, the crusade for steam reviews never ends so i would love to have your thoughts on it.

Howdy, just picked this up without reading this warning and absolutely mainlined an easy game, ending at -43 and having taken the continency routine arc. I'll drop a positive review shortly, because although this game is too stressful for me (I resemble Robbie too much) I can see it's really something special. I have no immediate feedback, but I think there may be room for some UI improvements, as in particular selection of objects isn't very consistent/clear.

As with other users I should underline that the trained response is to keep all passengers alive. You are going to have to be really explicit- I mean, popup window at the start of your first game, direct statement in log explicit- to break users of that expectation or "challenge mode" will be everyone's default. Nudging with mechanical advantages isn't going to help, it feels too much like any other game's bad moral choice.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 13, 2023

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Howdy, just picked this up without reading this warning and absolutely mainlined an easy game, ending at -43 and having taken the continency routine arc. I'll drop a positive review shortly, because although this game is too stressful for me (I resemble Robbie too much) I can see it's really something special. I have no immediate feedback, but I think there may be room for some UI improvements, as in particular selection of objects isn't very consistent/clear.

As with other users I should underline that the trained response is to keep all passengers alive. You are going to have to be really explicit- I mean, popup window at the start of your first game, direct statement in log explicit- to break users of that expectation or "challenge mode" will be everyone's default. Nudging with mechanical advantages isn't going to help, it feels too much like any other game's bad moral choice.

Soul's been making the interactive tutorial, I'll nudge him that that might be a good spot to put in the reminder about A human, not ALL humans.

A few other UI upgrades are coming with 0.4 as well, including a better way to handle your subroutine slots:

I'll also look into object interaction and see what the game's logic is for that; I'm sure we can call out a little bit more.

When 0.4 drops you might try Annie! She has an implosive response to stress rather than Robbie's obsessive response and will play completely differently. She actually works best with a few insanities and moderate psychosis. I genuinely like her playstyle more even though she requires more skill at the game to get correct because - like you - Robbie is a bit too close to home for how I work and live to handle all the time.

Much appreciated on the review! That crusade will never end. 🙇‍♂️

e: I've been speaking about Annie a fair bit, and we got her first drop of sprites today. We still need two more (for her medium and high psychosis states), but I think she's looking great:

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 13, 2023

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Yo just ran across this and it is extremely cool, i will definitely give you some money when I'm back at the PC

Stellar loving work for real, nails the aesthetic

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

HiroProtagonist posted:

Yo just ran across this and it is extremely cool, i will definitely give you some money when I'm back at the PC

Stellar loving work for real, nails the aesthetic

Thank you! My ears will be very open for your feedback as you dig in. :)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

We're a few days late of our goal, but 0.5.0 is live!

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2290890/view/3691303959627215586

Patch notes below:

It's our first major update of Early Access! First things first, let's say hello to our new Custodian: Annie!

Blessed with a very strong sense of self, Annie lacks many of the obsessive hang-ups that Robbie has, and gains much less stress when the ship is not just-so. The ship doesn't need to be just-so, because SHE is just-so. Always, and forever. Of course, this self-confidence quickly turns into introspection as stress builds up...which isn't good for a Custodian trapped in an iron shell in deep space.

Annie represents an implosive response to stress, and retreats inside her rich fantasies as things get bad. She starts with a permanent insanity, and can choose to make any insanities she acquires permanent as well. Even better - don't like an insanity you got? You can change it! Annie can choose to shuffle non-permanent insanities at the Observation window.

What weaker minds call insanities, though, Annie simply calls the burden of perfection. She loses Stress at the end of every turn for every insanity she has active - and loses still more the more Psychosis she has. However, any Stress left over will cause Annie to retreat further into her inner universe, gaining Psychosis at the beginning of the next turn.

Annie has a doubled chance to gain an insanity per turn, and cannot install the ECC module. Not that she needs it - why would there be any errors to correct in such a clearly perfect specimen?

Content

• Two new Narrative Arcs - Phasma Ex Machina and Turing Complete.
  • The second act of the game, which includes the new Narrative Arcs and the yet-to-be-released Underworks arc, are less linear than the first three. On turn 6, you will receive a popup to choose which arc you wish to attempt.
  • You are responsible for all that occurs hereafter.

• Added 1 new Crisis Arc to Endless Mode (Defragged Memoirs)
  • Annie is strong against an existing Crisis Arc (Cold Coffins)

• Added 20 new random events.
  • Added 10 Annie-specific choices for random events.

• Added Annie-specific choices on all current narrative arcs.
  • Added scenes for Annie on all current narrative arcs.

• Added 10 new various insanities.
  • Added 5 new insanities exclusive to Annie.
  • Updated some minor semantics about existing insanities (ex: Illusory doors from the insanity may now appear on top of you sometimes.)
  • Added 5 new Inspirations.

• New interactions with certain ship doodads - lockers, for example, now have a 10% chance to have a part in them when you search them the first time.

• First part of the new Interactive Tutorial
  • At current, the tutorial is not being triggered by the menu item; we are evaluating with playtesters where it makes the most sense to fire. You may manually fire the new tutorial experience by hitting the tilde (~) key and typing "run tutorial_begin", without the quotes.
  • The Interactive Tutorial is not fully done yet and we welcome feedback on topics to cover in it - post in the Discussions, or join our Discord! (https://discord.gg/GzNMeCtf8T)

• Added Ship Disasters
  • Spills and leaks will now self-propagate if not cleaned. Ignoring them for too long will turn into a larger scale disaster, such as a structural collapse or an oil slick. Not all disasters are wholly negative, though...

Visuals and Audio

• Many new decorations, both in new areas of the ship and revamped old ones.
  • Updated Cryo with new pod designs and light styles.
  • Major sound revamp; lots of new environmental sounds, both directional and regional to your position on the ship.

Fixes

• Fixed a major issue with Contingency that caused the reactor power to not be fully restored at the end of the arc.
  • Fixed Cooldown events that say they are repairing and overclocking a system; they will now always do exactly that, regardless of the state of the system or the ship.
  • Fixed a dozen random events pushing LUA code into the savegame.
  • Added a warning in the game about corrupt saves if LUA code is detected in the save.
  • In the future, Endless Dark will refuse to load such corrupted saves, but for now it will only warn.
  • Added a function to test ongoing random effects, and to check all events in the game for potential crashing bugs.
  • Fixed dozens of potential crashes in the logic of random and narrative events thanks to this new infrastructure.
  • Increased dead zones for controller inputs to make them less wonky.
  • Fixed a very nasty encoding bug that was causing some UTF-8 characters to crash the game.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the game to crash if it ran out of random events to show the player.
  • Fixed a nasty bug that made it FAR more likely than intended for the player to contract an insanity per turn due to their psychosis level. Please be aware that Annie innately doubles your chance to contract an insanity per turn, so her insanity incidence is still quite high. Robbie will now be far more stable than he was, however.

Changes and Balancing

• Robbie's Emergency Repair now gets a success bonus the more systems are damaged or broken; at 3 systems on the fritz, it's about as reliable as a plain repair, which can save him a lot of Parts.
  • Robbie can also use Emergency Repair through a system lock.
  • Adjusted Tension gain from having dead passengers, and corrected Tension growth. The game will hit a little harder in the early turns, but overall will grow substantially slower as the game goes on. This should remove some of the pressure to rush all the time.
  • Removed the Director's ability to launch an extra random event to add Tension to the game. It will now tend to spawn more minor issues (like stuck doors or spills) instead.
  • The game will now put your last save into a save.bak to make it easier to send in your save games for analysis by the Little Light team.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 9, 2023

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Successfully completed a run with Annie. I like her, she actually feels a little easier than Robbie. Her insanity shuffle may be a little overpowered; maybe it should be limited to one per turn or have a fatigue penalty because I did a couple turns where I just shuffled a few times until I got one I liked. I took her not liking open doors as a permanent one, which was pretty easy to work around. Also her not taking as much stress from unrepaired things is very useful. I basically left Observation broken for like the whole run. Speaking of which, she can insanity shuffle even with Observation broken -- I suspect this is a bug.

Final stats: 0 passengers killed, 65 psychosis (I think some of that was just on the last turn as I pushed pretty hard to keep all passengers alive and went way over stress/fatigue since I had to replicate up some extra parts, but I knew it wouldn't really matter since I was only one or two turns away from victory.)

I had the storyline about finding out whether the ship was sentient or not. One bug there, the task of "enter the undership through the command deck" never left my task list, even after I finished everything.

Here's a savegame from a couple turns before the end, in case it is helpful: https://www.dropbox.com/s/61ylqr7bmzycdv1/EndlessDark.zip?dl=0

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah good call on the insanity shuffle having more of a cost, we'll look into that. i do not believe the shuffle with observation broken is a bug though, i will confirm with soul.

the task bug on Phasma is also confirmed, not hard to fix.

worth noting, annie does game SOME stress when the ship is not tip-top, but robbie's stress from that situation is doubled due to his obsessive nature. however, as you saw, she sinks a TON of stress if she's rolling with middling psychosis and a bunch of insanitiesrich inner universe.

thank you for the savegame! btw, when you complete a run, the game copies game.sav to game.bak, and we can still use the game.bak just fine; the only thing that's changed is the extension. so it's now much less finicky to send us saves!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
On the signaling of human deaths element, I think you should consider whether it would be possible to balance things so that you can start the game with one dead human, or "lock in" a human death during the tutorial.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

On the signaling of human deaths element, I think you should consider whether it would be possible to balance things so that you can start the game with one dead human, or "lock in" a human death during the tutorial.

the interactive tutorial abandons all pretense of being "in character" so honestly i intend for it to just literally say what the situation is there. it sucks when a human dies, but it's not actually your problem until the LAST one dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

so something that came up on the steam forums today that i wanted to take this thread's temperature about: Robbie got a few buffs in this last patch, but how does he feel, subjectively, to play? ideally i'd want folks to give more than one game a shot before they answered, but ultimately robbie is intended to be the easiest custodian to play, both for onboarding and narrative reasons. if folks are feeling like annie is easier, then she probably needs a few nerfs (like the aforementioned sanity shuffling cost), and robbie probably needs some further buffs.