Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

haljordan posted:

The joint I worked at regularly hired a company to come in and completely spray down and clean the entire kitchen/hoods/etc. and it was a big friggin deal so I can only imagine how much work it would take to try and clean up a place that had basically been left to rot for years and years. Even after a few weeks, the walls directly behind the grills would be coated with grease and poo poo.

It was unreal. We had a hardware store next door and so we went and bought a couple small shovels and literally shoveled that poo poo off the walls. In normal operation we'd shut down for a week at Christmas and a week at spring break and deep clean the place with a pressure washer. We'd move every piece of equipment out into the middle of the floor, blast the walls, clean everything food was prepped on top-to-bottom, etc. The sheet metal walls of the kitchen area would actually shine for weeks afterward they were so clean.

Imagine a square shovel, and now imagine the, uh, gently caress, I don't know, "shovel part," big flat part of the blade where all the loving dirt you dig up sits before you throw it. Now imagine that is covered with a pile of loving solid fat that's as tall as a man's hand held vertically and spills over the sides of the blade, and that's what you got from the first 4-6 inches of scraping. When you'd put the shovel blade into the fat it would sink in 4-5" deep. Just unforgivable, inexplicable, horrendous loving sloth from those renters. THE WORST kitchen on Kitchen Nightmares looks like the loving prep area of the French Laundry compared to it; Gordon Ramsay would have taken one look and reached for his pistol.

You could scrape out our BBQ pit every day with about 15-20 seconds worth of work with the scooper. There's an ash bucket right next to the little door to the pit. It's literally just running the scraper across yesterday's ashes and pulling them out into the bucket. They didn't do this for seven loving years. How the place didn't burn down from all this neglect I have no idea. It took us almost six days of (loving believe me on this next word) sustained day-long efforts to get the place back to "barely acceptable," and another full week to get to "We'll cook for people here and feel good about the product" level.

Let's not even talk about the refrigerators or freezers. Or the >shudder< bathrooms. These motherfuckers didn't even clean the BBQ pit, they really weren't concerned about how the shitter looked or functioned.

Man, writing about all this makes me remember how amazing and important my grandma and grandpa were to me. Their dedication to doing the right thing, having pride in their work, being joyful at being able to feed people good food for a reasonable price every day... all those things were such major lessons to me and helped make me the (mostly good) person I am today.

If you are reading this and your grandparents are alive, call them tonight and tell them you love them. I sure wish I could call mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
We had a dickhead of a chef that no one liked. The grounds crew would be drinking in the bar to close every night. So when the chef was having a fight with one of them they'd all throw a couple bucks each onto the bar, wait until a minute before close and order a well done steak. That took like 45 minutes to cook and he had to wait to finish cleaning, just ruined his night and he was always complaining about it. We as bar and server staff encouraged it because of course we did. One day the chef came out into the bar around close and gently caress he got so mad when he realised what was happening.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

JonathonSpectre posted:

It was unreal. We had a hardware store next door and so we went and bought a couple small shovels and literally shoveled that poo poo off the walls. In normal operation we'd shut down for a week at Christmas and a week at spring break and deep clean the place with a pressure washer. We'd move every piece of equipment out into the middle of the floor, blast the walls, clean everything food was prepped on top-to-bottom, etc. The sheet metal walls of the kitchen area would actually shine for weeks afterward they were so clean.

Imagine a square shovel, and now imagine the, uh, gently caress, I don't know, "shovel part," big flat part of the blade where all the loving dirt you dig up sits before you throw it. Now imagine that is covered with a pile of loving solid fat that's as tall as a man's hand held vertically and spills over the sides of the blade, and that's what you got from the first 4-6 inches of scraping. When you'd put the shovel blade into the fat it would sink in 4-5" deep. Just unforgivable, inexplicable, horrendous loving sloth from those renters. THE WORST kitchen on Kitchen Nightmares looks like the loving prep area of the French Laundry compared to it; Gordon Ramsay would have taken one look and reached for his pistol.

You could scrape out our BBQ pit every day with about 15-20 seconds worth of work with the scooper. There's an ash bucket right next to the little door to the pit. It's literally just running the scraper across yesterday's ashes and pulling them out into the bucket. They didn't do this for seven loving years. How the place didn't burn down from all this neglect I have no idea. It took us almost six days of (loving believe me on this next word) sustained day-long efforts to get the place back to "barely acceptable," and another full week to get to "We'll cook for people here and feel good about the product" level.

Let's not even talk about the refrigerators or freezers. Or the >shudder< bathrooms. These motherfuckers didn't even clean the BBQ pit, they really weren't concerned about how the shitter looked or functioned.

Man, writing about all this makes me remember how amazing and important my grandma and grandpa were to me. Their dedication to doing the right thing, having pride in their work, being joyful at being able to feed people good food for a reasonable price every day... all those things were such major lessons to me and helped make me the (mostly good) person I am today.

If you are reading this and your grandparents are alive, call them tonight and tell them you love them. I sure wish I could call mine.

My grandma passed away in 2011 and I still miss her to this day, she was the most excellent grandma who ever lived.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I got my first job as a young teenager working at a KFC in 1994.

Breading chicken all day resulted in a tremendous amount of flour on the floor at close. We were never allowed to sweep the floor. This was never explained, but in hindsight it was probably to keep the flour from rising into the air and settling on surfaces.

The way you cleaned the floor was by pouring ten gallons of boiling water on the floor and then trying to squeegee the resulting 100lbs of dough into a trash bin. Idk if it's exactly a horror story but it loving sucked.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
When I was 17, I worked at a Haggan in the meat and fish dept. My dept manager was a fat gently caress Jimmy Wichard idiot who pronounced thyme like "thuh-eye-muh" and vocalized the "L" in salmon.

Anyway, I put more effort into that job than I ever needed to- cleaning the display case at the end of every shift was a loving nightmare- the sights and smells of red meat runoff and fish goo caked onto cold metal isn't something you look forward to. Still I was thorough, and I cleaned that motherfucker into the early hours of every morning.

Then I got fired for working my shift 15-minutes past schedule. Because I was scrubbing fish goo.

Three weeks later, my poo poo-for-brains department manager was let go because the health department threatened the store manager with closure due to the fish display trough being full of rotting fish juice and discarded scallop meat.

Still makes me smile.

Pastel Candy Snake fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 26, 2023

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
When I was 17 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igTQoCBwp-4

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.
Years ago, I worked in a burger joint in South Florida for the summer. This guy who looked about early 20s used to come in all the time with his girlfriend; I wasn’t sure how old she was, but she was always reading Archie comics. I thought that was kind of odd; my sister stopped reading that poo poo at 12. Then one day I got a look at them coming in the door and I realized she was pregnant. I felt so bad for her; she was either a young teen or just really immature. Either way, I couldn’t imagine her being ready for motherhood. It bummed me out, and it really depressed me working there after that.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
The real “horror” is the prices OP. Bidenflation doing flips. Good luck financing a Big Mac at this rate

naem
May 29, 2011

the various part time restaurant type jobs I had working my way through college as a non-traditional student had a hierarchy of “popular kids” almost exactly like high school

I wasn’t among that group, and I wasn’t always seen by reputation as a full time college student for whatever reason, probably because I just kept my head down and collected a paycheck-

so when I graduated and left the job I might as well have grown wings and a halo and flown out the window to an angelic choir in a beam of light for the stunned reaction they had like “wait, you’re not as cool as me, where are you going?? you’re trapped here beneath me forever!”

also going back for a grad degree meant the same process again only this time it was a starbucks where the infighting to get your own store manager position was vicious

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Yeah we had a company come in a and clean the hoods and every sunday we were closed for lunch and I would get a few back of house people and make em lunch and we would all deep clean something. Its just not being a slimeball. You have to look at where you cook as your home and you are throwing a party for a random number of assholes that may or may not gently caress up your bathroom.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Cleaning hoods loving sucks. I cut the poo poo out my fingers the first times I removed hoods because nobody told me they had special gloves to remove them.

Most of my restaurant horror stories are front of house stuff. I quit waiting tables and bartending right before Covid and I don’t miss it at all, poo poo loving sucked. Whenever I go out to eat or drink now I can’t fathom dealing with a full section any more and doing the whole turn and burn thing was what I liked best back then. gently caress all that

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
A few fun quick hits:

The dish pit was separated from the server alley by one wall and that wall, much like everything else, was old and gross and thin. The tiling in the dish pit was all kinds of hosed up and the water over there would seep out into the server alley. We called it Lake (name of restaurant) because it would keep regenerating no matter how much squeegeeing you did.

The ice machine broke and was not replaced for two months by corporate. The GM at the time would cruise around down before he was due in every day buying every bag of ice he could find at the local gas stations and liquor stores, to the point that some of them banned him from buying their stuff.

The air conditioning unit was extremely old and lovely. I never bothered to get an explanation from anybody who actually knew what they were talking about, but the ceiling had lots of exposed vents and stuff and they would drip condensation all over the bartop section, to the point that the bartender (usually me) couldn’t take tables in the summer. I didn’t give a poo poo about getting tables when bartending but it was very embarrassing since it was the first thing you see upon walking in.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

At my last kitchen job the chef didn't take the food manager certification; it was online, so her daughter who was also a restaurant manager would do it for her. The bleach tablets above the sink were 10 years old from her previous restaurant and I was instructed to use the 3 compartment sink incorrectly without bleack and just to lie about it in case of inspection, which never happened, because we loopholed out of random inspections and managed to qualify as a grocery store for 1 scheduled inspection a year because they cooked the books to make it look like more than 50% of our output was uncooked. The refrigerators were always disgusting; health inspectors would have had a field day w/ the fun in the door seals, and there was always raw salmon in a leaky ziplock bag sitting in the slop in the bottom of the refrigerator that never drained properly. Sometimes in addition to leaky bags of raw chicken, beef, pork, whatever, but mostly chicken, all swimming together on the floor of the fridge. The salmon mostly went out medium rare on a sandwich. I generally saw her do absolutely horrific things with raw chicken, including contaminating a whole wedding's appetizers like it was no big deal. The other fridge held temp so poorly that mayonnaise based sauces would ferment if not used quickly, and that's where all the sauces lived. At no point was anything ever labelled with the date; instead we went by the smell test, often selling things a day or two after they smelled bad to me because the chef couldn't smell it. We probably killed multiple old people.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 26, 2023

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Once when I worked at a steak and shake we lost power for a while in the middle of summer. They had to close and get rid of a bunch of stuff from the coolers, etc. about a week later we ran out of dark chocolate syrup on the line and I went to go get some more from the dry storage area. Very dark and ostensibly the coolest non refrigerated part of the building. I brought the syrup back up to the line and opened it, as soon as I broke the seal on the lid chocolate straight up exploded out of it like somebody dropped a lil bitty bomb inside. Sprayed the entire line, all over the ceiling, all over the wall, all over the monitors. It smelled fermented and it was hilarious

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Once when I worked at a steak and shake we lost power for a while in the middle of summer. They had to close and get rid of a bunch of stuff from the coolers, etc. about a week later we ran out of dark chocolate syrup on the line and I went to go get some more from the dry storage area. Very dark and ostensibly the coolest non refrigerated part of the building. I brought the syrup back up to the line and opened it, as soon as I broke the seal on the lid chocolate straight up exploded out of it like somebody dropped a lil bitty bomb inside. Sprayed the entire line, all over the ceiling, all over the wall, all over the monitors. It smelled fermented and it was hilarious

I wish I could see the CCTV of that. Must have been epic.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Defiance Industries posted:

We discussed someone loving a dickhole into their food but none of us were comfortable actually taking out our hogs in front of each other.

I worked at Starbucks for years. We had an absolute douchebag customer come through who always ordered an iced caramel machiatto, stirred up. On his last day a coworker of mine took the guy's drink to the back and stirred it with his dick

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

A friend of mine who waited tables in a restaurant told me one day she saw a customer making a face and poking at their salad. She went over to ask if anything was wrong, the customer said there was something in weird in the salad. My friend instantly took the plate back before they could see what was the problem was, promising to bring a new one for free. When she took the plate to the kitchen, she found a whole hair net in the salad. :barf:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Couple more from the deli section
Being a deli we had a walk in cooler that didn't get cleaned often. One night I decided I would. We had these big heavy plastic pallet/shelf things on the floor and shelves on the wall. I pulled those pallet things up and behold on the floor was an inflated perfectly round sealed package of cheese. My coworker and I were scared to even touch it till I got some oven mitts and very carefully picked it up. Provolone from 1999. It was 2002. Made a satisfying bang when I threw it against a parking block in the back lot.

Our seafood department next door consisted of one employee and she would come over to cover breaks all the time. so when she broke her arm and couldn't work they put me over there. It was boring work, and i kinda got tired of the standard white fish and shrimp that went through there....only white fish and shrimp.
The order book was in there and I flipped through it. I ended up ordering different stuff. crab, lobster, alligator, shark, tuna, clams, all sorts of stuff and as soon as I'd have it packaged and put out in the case it'd be friggen gone. We had another stand out front with a booklet of different seafood and recipes and I took to taking requests and ordering stuff for customers.
When the seafood lady returned to work the first day she went up to complain to the boss because she was being asked to order stuff and there was all this "weird poo poo" in the cooler. Got chewed out and written up for "violating company policy". If Farmer Jack doesn't want us ordering this stuff they shouldn't issue order books with it in them. And even then the store was making money off the seafood department, poo poo was selling. People loved it.

Something else that got shut down people loved was the deli sold their own pizza. We also had a pizza oven so eventually we started offering to cook them for customers since we had boxes and stuff. Eventually we started letting them purchase stuff out of the deli case to put on them and got really popular. Came in one day and the pizza machine was gone. "You can't make those specialty pizzas because you don't have an ingredient list". I get it, government regs and all, but why get rid of the oven? People loved it. Same with the fryers. Late night we had a regular that would come in and buy some kielbasa and we'd cut it up into bite sized pieces and drop it in the fryer.
Also caused a literal stink on a Super Bowl Sunday because we were cooking specialty ribs and used a bottle of the Jack Daniels BBQ sauce. The whole one side of the store smelled like an open bottle of whiskey

Edit;
Pro tip, if you ever go to a deli and don't want what's in the case, just ask to get fresh cut. They'll do it for you without issue. Don't play that game where you want it thicker/thinner and after multiple test cuts have it cut the same as the stuff in the case.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 27, 2023

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

Xinlum posted:

I'm talking like a poo poo the size of one of those really big cans of cheese they sell at the supermarket.

Cheese in a can? Like, seriously? Oh, that's in aisle 9 the "Canned Cheese" section.

ManBoyChef posted:

The guy on a cellphone reading the menu to someone that was not there getting their order during the rush...

So I also have stories about a Deli, Sanwich, "Artisinal" place I worked at. One time this guy came in during our lunch rush and did the exact same thing, only he was ordering from a menu in his head that wasn't our menu (I'll explain in a moment). We told him this, and he would just speak back into the phone: "They don't have that. They don't make that anymore." while asking the person on the other end to "pick something else" meanwhile the entire deli counter has about ten angry people behind it, and the sandwich crew is death-staring at this guy. My manager walks over around the counter and tells the guy that he will personally make his order in the back on the catering tables if he writes everything down and gets out of the lunch line. The guy just gets flustered, and let's out an over-exaggerated sigh and leaves the shop.

Now, this sandwich shop / deli was opened in the former location of a semi-well-known (non-chain) local sandwich shop which suddenly closed. Let's call it "Omars Subs". So "Omar's Subs" did brisk business for a good twenty years in this location and then the owner and namesake suddenly became ill and it closed. It was re-opened by his two idiot sons and promptly run into the ground in about 3 years time. These guys ran the business so bad it literally destroyed their fathers legacy and bankrupted the business. My Boss started his sandwich shop as a French-bistro styled cafe that served sandwiches, made coffee, and did the lite deli thing like cheeses and breads. (We had a bakery next door where all our breads were baked daily). Now, the decor and menu changed right away, but the customer base did not.

Every day we'd have at least three to five people asking for items we no longer made. We'd have this schpiel the boss trained us on to explain who we were now, and how much better the food was which 9 times out of ten was met with an "OH" followed by the person looking at the menu and selecting an alternative. The other times it was either a blank stare and labored breathing, or a person asking if we could just make it like this instead. "No sir, I'm not going to get you a hoagie roll from across the street and build you a ham-bomb with Omar's sauce because this isn't Omar's Subs anymore."

I WANT TO SPEAK TO YOUR MANAGER!

Usually followed by my manager de-escalating and being personable with an angry redneck who wants his ham-bomb.

It took about 3 years to get customers used to the new menu and this just goes to show you how a good sandwich shop's reputation outlasts the owners. I worked there for almost 6 years and by the time I'd left we'd still get the occasional "Omar's Sauce" request.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
My horror story is not with the food, or the staff; its the people I was dining with.

My family and I do "cocktail cruises" on the lake. Hors d'oeuvres, drinks, and just cruising around the lake checking out the islands and the mansions and such.
One such evening was myself, parents, and an aunt and uncle. Uncle that was piloting the boat drank a bit much. No biggie.

After we get back to the marina we go to dinner at a nearby restaurant. Burgers, fish and chips, crappy steaks place.
Uncle orders a bacon cheeseburger medium rare, I did too.

Food arrives and we start eating, and after a couple of bites he starts throwing a hissy fit about how his burger is over cooked. I looked at where he'd bitten it and see a decent amount of pink. Just eat the burger already. (And for the record, he's typically considered to be a very amicable person; just too much booze that evening)

But he totally goes off on the waitstaff gal. Like really rude and really loud. My aunt joins in saying its unacceptable. Waitress says she will take the plate and get him a new one immediately, and he's still being loud and obnoxious. I was cringing. My burger looked exactly the same and I would say it was perfectly medium rare. He got a fresh burger that was practically raw and he loved it. Hooray! After the bill was settled, I left an extra $20 on the table because I felt so bad for them.

Always treat waitstaff with respect and dignity, because in turn you have a better dining experience.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Outrail posted:

We had a dickhead of a chef that no one liked. The grounds crew would be drinking in the bar to close every night. So when the chef was having a fight with one of them they'd all throw a couple bucks each onto the bar, wait until a minute before close and order a well done steak. That took like 45 minutes to cook and he had to wait to finish cleaning, just ruined his night and he was always complaining about it. We as bar and server staff encouraged it because of course we did. One day the chef came out into the bar around close and gently caress he got so mad when he realised what was happening.

He didn't deep fry it?

normal-ass vampire
Feb 14, 2011
When I was in my early 20s i worked as a server in a lovely dive bar/grill that was basically one of the few restaurant options in the horrible small town I was stuck in at the time.
Admittedly I wasn't really waitress material, I'm impatient and suck at hiding my emotions. I only kept my job because the owner was a colossally incompetent rear end in a top hat and thus desperate for staff.

Thanks to the location being a bar, I dodged the bullet of lovely Christians "tipping" with Bible verses or whatever, but I had a surprising amount of people tip with coins, both loose and rolled. Most of them were decent tips. To this day I'm not sure how much of it was passive aggression and how much was people just being loving weird.

To my knowledge the kitchen staff, most of whom I was friends with, never actually messed with anyone's food. But anytime one of the local cops showed up, they'd avoid putting any effort into making sure the cop's order came out right.

The worst story isn't from me but from one of said kitchen staff. The owner really was a cheap SOB who cut any corners possible. I was watching an episode of The Great North where a character gets a job at a gross restaurant where the owners make him wash off and reuse leftover pasta off people's plates. I texted my friend like "lol did lovely Boss ever make you do that?" After 10 minutes of silence he replied "Yeah, he did. I warned everyone I knew never to order pasta there."

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
What is it with idiots trying to save money on the cheapest poo poo (rolls, pasta) and never spending a little bit upfront to prevent money leaks like lawsuit construction or revolving door staff?

Oh right the idiocy

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

sudonim posted:

What is it with idiots trying to save money on the cheapest poo poo (rolls, pasta) and never spending a little bit upfront to prevent money leaks like lawsuit construction or revolving door staff?

Oh right the idiocy

Lots of people that get into the food service business don't know poo poo about food service.
I took a tech course in high school in culinary arts. The amount of times I had to correct bosses on basic food handling and poo poo was amazing.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Solefald posted:

Not a horror story but one of the line chefs who was in charge of the speakers would play https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl-HPIu5kcs for his entire shifts. I still can't figure out if it was a joke or not because he always worked significantly better when he had it playing and would lose his poo poo if any other music was on. That song brings on PTSD flashbacks for me

13 hours just making thousands of chaat starters over and over again with DEEP DOOP DEEP DOOP DOOP DOOP DOOP DOOOOO DOO on full volume loving HELL

you worked at the krusty krab lol

Also dont sleep on this youtube link, some of the comments are golden

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

sudonim posted:

Oh right the idiocy

yeah its amazing. Food waste is a big deal, but not nearly as big a deal as liquor walking out the door....get good staff and treat them well. Secondly, invest in your business and it will pay tenfold. Advertise, and offer something free a few times a year. Keep your equipment fixed. Curate your clientele. You will know the people complaining to get free food and the people that legit have a problem. The people complaining to get free food will always do that if you show them you will roll over for them. Most of these businesses fail because the owners think they know everything and will not for the life of them listen to their staff about problems they are seeing when the staff is the one directly interfacing with the menu, the product, the equipment, and the guests. Its just maddening.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Embarassing kitchen story:

I worked for a large up and coming chain that had a shop in Detroit. The place was absolutely slammed all the time but was having some cultural issues due to being run by Patagonia vest dudes with complex facial hair from Denver.

Anyways we get a visit from the Ops manager who literally rolled up his sleeves and got down on one knee to talk to us "regular old kitchen folk".

He used the time to begrudgingly complain about us complaining about "corporate" being in town and corrected us. He was with "brand management", not "corporate".

He then put on one of our line cook ball caps and performatively worked the grill for about 2 minutes during service before saying "looks like it's heating up, I'll leave it to you MOTHER FUCKERS".

(He probably read somewhere that kitchen people are fond of profanity)

He got blank stares and then preceded to tell the entire FOH they'd be pooling tips after moaning about "quarterly projections" to a bunch of bartenders. People quit on the spot LMAO.

Years later I saw him posting on linkedIN that he was having a "family bbq" with the Denver management. Im so glad I got out from under that rock of a company. Even Corporate was getting the old pizza party treatment.

Oh also it was Punch Bowl Social and gently caress them sideways.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Poohs Packin posted:

"looks like it's heating up, I'll leave it to you MOTHER FUCKERS".

Genuine lol

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

"Ok you MOTHER FUCKERS go get your dicks knocked in the dirt. Hopefully you don't burn or hurt yourself cos you MOTHERFUCKERS don't have sick days or health insurance...."

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!

SocketWrench posted:

Couple more from the deli section

Edit;
Pro tip, if you ever go to a deli and don't want what's in the case, just ask to get fresh cut. They'll do it for you without issue. Don't play that game where you want it thicker/thinner and after multiple test cuts have it cut the same as the stuff in the case.

My last job was a deli. My favorite was people getting 4 or 5 slices, fresh cut.

A few tips from me: Pay attention to the cleanliness of the slicers. At the place I worked at when I worked there, I was the only one regularly cleaning them throughout the day.

No one knows when the display islands were last cleaned.

Making your order and walking away is lovely. Sometimes we need confirmation of details, so just hang out for a bit.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Poohs Packin posted:

Embarassing kitchen story:

I worked for a large up and coming chain that had a shop in Detroit. The place was absolutely slammed all the time but was having some cultural issues due to being run by Patagonia vest dudes with complex facial hair from Denver.

Anyways we get a visit from the Ops manager who literally rolled up his sleeves and got down on one knee to talk to us "regular old kitchen folk".

He used the time to begrudgingly complain about us complaining about "corporate" being in town and corrected us. He was with "brand management", not "corporate".

He then put on one of our line cook ball caps and performatively worked the grill for about 2 minutes during service before saying "looks like it's heating up, I'll leave it to you MOTHER FUCKERS".

(He probably read somewhere that kitchen people are fond of profanity)

He got blank stares and then preceded to tell the entire FOH they'd be pooling tips after moaning about "quarterly projections" to a bunch of bartenders. People quit on the spot LMAO.

Years later I saw him posting on linkedIN that he was having a "family bbq" with the Denver management. Im so glad I got out from under that rock of a company. Even Corporate was getting the old pizza party treatment.

Oh also it was Punch Bowl Social and gently caress them sideways.

Lol that owns. When Eminem showed up to hand out orders at the Detroit drive thru of Mom’s Spaghetti he didn’t work a full shift but was there for more than two minutes.

Just in case anyone hasn’t read it, here’s an article by a Toronto restaurant man who made horrible decisions. Whenever you think it can’t get worse it does: https://torontolife.com/food/restaurant-ruined-life/

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Just in case anyone hasn’t read it, here’s an article by a Toronto restaurant man who made horrible decisions. Whenever you think it can’t get worse it does: https://torontolife.com/food/restaurant-ruined-life/

Pro-click.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I ordered a dozen oysters and got 13

The horror part of it?

Only enough butter for 11

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol that owns. When Eminem showed up to hand out orders at the Detroit drive thru of Mom’s Spaghetti he didn’t work a full shift but was there for more than two minutes.

Oh man, this one is just sad and not funny sad the Canadian cuck shack guy, just like sad sad.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It's honestly pretty typical, though. Deluded idiot bored with his life and who likes to cook naively thinks running a restaurant will give him the lifestyle he dreams of, walks into the industry with nothing resembling a business plan or solid financial backing, ignores every red flag presented to him, quickly gets eaten alive by the reality that running a restaurant is a shitload of money and work that rarely pays off in the long term, burns the rest of his life to the ground because he can't admit he hosed up and GTFO.

I don't understand how anyone can read Kitchen Confidential and think "Hmm yes, this is the life I want to lead." IIRC, Bourdain explicitly called out idiots like this and told them they were destined for a life of failure. Unless they stop at the doing drugs and banging servers in the stockroom and acting like a band of filthy criminals and don't skip ahead to the bit where Bourdain admits it almost ruined his life.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 27, 2023

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

canadian restaurant guy posted:

"I had lost 20 pounds... Since the beer kegs could be bought on credit, I drank lustily from them. I found myself pouring my first at 11 a.m. and continuing steadily throughout the day."

Business lenders hate him! Lose weight while drinking more with one weird trick. (Your family will hate it!)

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

rndmnmbr posted:

It's honestly pretty typical, though. Deluded idiot bored with his life and who likes to cook naively thinks running a restaurant will give him the lifestyle he dreams of, walks into the industry with nothing resembling a business plan or solid financial backing, ignores every red flag presented to him, quickly gets eaten alive by the reality that running a restaurant is a shitload of money and work that rarely pays off in the long term, burns the rest of his life to the ground because he can't admit he hosed up and GTFO.

I don't understand how anyone can read Kitchen Confidential and think "Hmm yes, this is the life I want to lead." IIRC, Bourdain explicitly called out idiots like this and told them they were destined for a life of failure. Unless they stop at the doing drugs and banging servers in the stockroom and acting like a band of filthy criminals and don't skip ahead to the bit where Bourdain admits it almost ruined his life.

this is my take too. I think oftentimes these people look down on those that work in restaurants or those that run restaurants and think that its an easy life. A passion is great and all but there is so much more that goes into it and he literally said it in the beginning: Only a very small minority of restaurants make it past a year. How did this gently caress think that without any practical knowledge beyond doing a few prep shifts that chances are everyone in the kitchen was working around him while he did things the slowest way possible that he could open and be successful immedietly?

I really just feel bad for his wife and kids. Chances are they didnt see him and he basically blew up his families savings and home on a flight of fancy. A heroin habit would have been more productive because at least he would have had a few more interesting stories to tell instead of the same story that happens to 80% of restaurant owners.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I would only open a restaurant if I won $1,000,000,000 in the powerball drawing. I would operate it at a loss giving away cocktails until the day I died.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I would only open a restaurant if I won $1,000,000,000 in the powerball drawing. I would operate it at a loss giving away cocktails until the day I died.

My parents are really good friends with a guy who operates the restaurant in a country club near us (it's actually where I got married) and he is still there probably 12 hours a day at least, six days a week even after 30 years. The grind is just unimaginable, and even then you got like a 10% chance of actually turning a profit after 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

haljordan posted:

My parents are really good friends with a guy who operates the restaurant in a country club near us (it's actually where I got married) and he is still there probably 12 hours a day at least, six days a week even after 30 years. The grind is just unimaginable, and even then you got like a 10% chance of actually turning a profit after 5 years.

Lol profit, I’m a billionaire in this scenario! I want to lose money and make friends so I can be popular for once!