Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

fuckingtest posted:

We had a local place here in a heavily foot-traffic touristy spot named "Sandbar" that was literally doing perfectly fine, had a huge local following, had tons of support from the city.

Then bar rescue came, re-named it, re-decorated it, and it was a shitshow. That entire show is a loving joke and 99.9% of it is reality tv bullshit.

They removed everything the show did and went back to their original name like two weeks after the show wrapped.

I don’t know why this surprises anyone anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Poohs Packin posted:

Oh also it was Punch Bowl Social and gently caress them sideways.

Lmfao what a twist. I used to go to this place a lot with my buds back in 2017-18. Weird place. Idk I was usually pretty drunk so it wasn’t a bad weird.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Timby posted:

Here's the bullshit Taffer spews about customer acquisition and retention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJQyg6h7wwo

It boils down to "give poo poo away for free and you'll gain a customer for life."

"Wait, a pizza-flavored cheesecake?! Genius!"

Isn't that Vaynerchuk guy a Bitcoin moron too? Or am I getting my podcast grifters confused?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

istewart posted:

Isn't that Vaynerchuk guy a Bitcoin moron too? Or am I getting my podcast grifters confused?

You're correct. Vaynerchuk is an alt-right chowderhead grifter.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

fuckingtest posted:

We had a local place here in a heavily foot-traffic touristy spot named "Sandbar" that was literally doing perfectly fine, had a huge local following, had tons of support from the city.

Then bar rescue came, re-named it, re-decorated it, and it was a shitshow. That entire show is a loving joke and 99.9% of it is reality tv bullshit.

They removed everything the show did and went back to their original name like two weeks after the show wrapped.

Lmao - I assumed the show was fake of course but I didn’t realize it was to this degree. My guess was that a lot of people on there did have failing bars but looked at bar rescue as a way to dress up their property for sale. Lasting quality aside, they certainly try to make the bar at least look good enough in the short term.

I never expected “actually the bar was fine and then they undid it” levels of fakery lol.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
At this point Bar Rescue exists so Taffer can peddle his lovely point of sale system that he makes monthly residuals from.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

fuckingtest posted:

Why would they need a Rescue if they are already doing well?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Internetjack posted:

Why would they need a Rescue if they are already doing well?

It's a half-hour infomercial for their bar made on somebody else's dime.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

Nigmaetcetera posted:

It's a half-hour infomercial for their bar made on somebody else's dime.

Ah so free advertising. Good on them.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Coasterphreak posted:

At this point Bar Rescue exists so Taffer can peddle his lovely point of sale system that he makes monthly residuals from.

Makes sense. The "give away free poo poo" strategy he was espousing in the clip Timby posted sounded like a textbook customer-acquisition-cost calculation that a software-as-a-service salesman would put forward, complete with the desired outcome that the customer deliver a regular recurring cashflow indefinitely into the future. Of course he would go on a podcast targeted at monkey-see-monkey-do tech bandwagoners and tell them they can sell food like they sell subscription software.

Bar Rescue did an episode in my hometown, and I guess it was so bad that the bar actually completely rebranded afterwards. The only reason they survived was because they stayed open throughout the worst of the pandemic and didn't give a poo poo about masks. I was working a lovely overnight stocking job at the grocery store across the parking lot, and there would always be at least two cops parked in the lot shooting the poo poo, because they knew they were going to end up there before the night was over anyway.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Restaurant Impossible failed to save The Captain and the Cowboy, which as I recall had good ribs the one time I went there in 1998.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005
Non plaudite modo pecuniam jacite.

I worked in a restaurant owned by a Greek immigrant couple across the street from a large state college campus. We were open past the bars closing. Our rushes on weekend nights would be out the door. One night the wife was working with us and some half drunk college kid rolled up to the counter and claimed to be the health department and had some bogus rear end documentation. I can't figure out why but she said fine, come back and look at the kitchen. He didn't do anything but amble around. He tried to ask me something and I just told him to get away from my station. The delivery driver told him to gently caress himself. So he just told the lady everything looks Ok and went and hosed off.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
NGL I've considered getting a job at the health department, if only to exact some sort of revenge against the restaurant/bar owners' class that has hosed me over so many times. Oh how sweet it would be to walk into one of my old workplaces with a poo poo-eating grin on my face knowing they're getting a Fail. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure it's the kind of job that requires a car, because your jurisdiction can be quite wide.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Mister Speaker posted:

NGL I've considered getting a job at the health department, if only to exact some sort of revenge against the restaurant/bar owners' class that has hosed me over so many times. Oh how sweet it would be to walk into one of my old workplaces with a poo poo-eating grin on my face knowing they're getting a Fail. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure it's the kind of job that requires a car, because your jurisdiction can be quite wide.
Wouldn't they give you a fleet car?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

cat botherer posted:

Yes. Most places will let you commute with it, too.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
One time at my old job a seventeen year old accidentally made finger flavored grated Parmesan with a machine he wasn’t supposed to be using due to being a minor. The machine was supposed to be slathered down with stickers or warnings or something that made it clear he should not be using it. Obviously it was not and he was being directed to use it as part of his prep duties. Sometimes I wonder how his workmans comp claim went.

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
My sister is a food saftey inspector person and sees some absolute sicko poo poo on the regular. I learnt real quick just not to ask about any place that I actually enjoy eating at.

She gets a work car and travels all over the city. She's been straight up assulated several times.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

All restaurants are filthy somewhere.

I was tearing apart a range to fix the Ansul system in a really nice open-kitchen upscale joint that was visually flawlessly clean, but when I got in the guts it was caked in grease mixed with concentrated cleaning agent, which I learned when I felt the chemical burns start forming on my hands.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

CelticPredator posted:

Lmfao what a twist. I used to go to this place a lot with my buds back in 2017-18. Weird place. Idk I was usually pretty drunk so it wasn’t a bad weird.

Nah it was bad weird. It was a shitshow on the best days and totally wrong for downtown Detroit.

The mgmt wanted it to be Denver so loving bad and it was pretty much patronised by the same rotating cast of Quicken Loan bros in Air Max's and Lacoste polos.

They banned rap music and overcharged for Hennessey and other "black" drinks to keep the crowd in line with what they were used to.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Poohs Packin posted:

They banned rap music and overcharged for Hennessey and other "black" drinks to keep the crowd in line with what they were used to.

Ugh, I remember a bar that banned people from wearing plain white t-shirts and I never really understood until I was older how dress codes and poo poo like "no rap music" can be weaponized.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

No red sneakers is a common one in Australia and im gonna have to agree that people with red TNs have chaotic energy regardless of race.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Poohs Packin posted:

Nah it was bad weird. It was a shitshow on the best days and totally wrong for downtown Detroit.

The mgmt wanted it to be Denver so loving bad and it was pretty much patronised by the same rotating cast of Quicken Loan bros in Air Max's and Lacoste polos.

I meant in Denver but lmao good lord

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I've helped a bunch of friends open restaurants after covid lockdowns ended. After a successful debut evening with a mostly invite-only guestlist at a new tavern, buddy of mine went to Instagram to write a glowing thank you post that mentioned many of the night's highlights. Which would have been great, but the message concluded with an offer: that whoever left the used fleet enema bag in the ladies restroom please not return or at least sort out their affairs prior to visiting again. Once a week we'd find another, either one of us would plant it, or one would show up uncredited. The urge to toss a green rubber syringe on an immaculately mopped floor just before shutting off the lights and locking up will always be with me.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Poohs Packin posted:

No red sneakers is a common one in Australia and im gonna have to agree that people with red TNs have chaotic energy regardless of race.

I'm sorry to necro this thread, but I have to ask what??? Is that a culture thing in Australia, that troublemakers wear red shoes?

I see kids in red sneakers a lot, but that just seems like pretty normal youth fashion here. I saw a trio of sisters all taking turns trying out a skateboard with some the other day, and I think the eldest had some. She was making sure the other two didn't get hurt, it was nice to see.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Yeah I can't remember red sneakers ever being noteworthy for any reason in oz.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

DicktheCat posted:

I'm sorry to necro this thread, but I have to ask what??? Is that a culture thing in Australia, that troublemakers wear red shoes?

I see kids in red sneakers a lot, but that just seems like pretty normal youth fashion here. I saw a trio of sisters all taking turns trying out a skateboard with some the other day, and I think the eldest had some. She was making sure the other two didn't get hurt, it was nice to see.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/p...38-0c311ed2e936

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

"Trainers", or aggressively styled shoes worn as street wear tend to have an association with "eshay" culture. They're basically the aussie version of a "chav".

An american equivalent, albeit a dated one would be dudes that wear all black forces.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Poohs Packin posted:

An american equivalent, albeit a dated one would be dudes that wear all black forces.

Yeah that means a mfer is up to no good

Thank you Trash Mammal. Welcome to dog world b*tch*s

THIS SHOWSTOPPING SIGGY MADE BY journeyman SIGSMITH Luvcow

https://i.imgur.com/EebjYYe.mp4
THIS SHOWSTOPPING SIGGY MADE BY MASTER SIGSMITH Literally A Person

Official height endorsed by a medical professional: 5'11.5"

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

cat botherer posted:

I figure most places would see the signage on the car and attempt to hide something or just straight up lock the doors and "close". If its just a plain car there's no warning.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Poohs Packin posted:

"Trainers", or aggressively styled shoes worn as street wear tend to have an association with "eshay" culture. They're basically the aussie version of a "chav".

Ah, I see. Thanks for taking the time to explain, I really appreciate it! (No gbs sarcasm, being real)

Weirdly, the American example you gave doesn't make sense to me (I may be too young) but I know what a chav is.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Poohs Packin posted:

How does "eshay" compare to the humble bogan?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

How does "eshay" compare to the humble bogan?

Eshay is the Australian knockoff version of the British chav.

Bogan is a uniquely Australian type of trash person. Same but different from other cultures' trash people.

Nobody likes a Bogan.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Outrail posted:

Bogan is a uniquely Australian type of trash person. Same but different from other cultures' trash people.

Nobody likes a Bogan.

I had that song playing on my drive to work this morning, it's so catchy.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

DicktheCat posted:

Ah, I see. Thanks for taking the time to explain, I really appreciate it! (No gbs sarcasm, being real)

Weirdly, the American example you gave doesn't make sense to me (I may be too young) but I know what a chav is.

The air forces thing is really more of a basketball court / inner city cultural thing. The stereotype being they're usually worn by scuzzy dudes who are overly aggressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Outrail posted:

Nobody likes a Bogan.
Also immortalized in The Fosters Car Park Boogie....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGjURjN56Bw

quote:

I'm a bogan, baby, always was
I'm only happy when I punch a mod
And in walked a pine-haired turd
I looked at my mates, said, "Thank you, God"

Dyed black hair, done all spiky
I saw him laugh when they played Bon Jovi
Had a jacket on just like a bikie
If there's a bigger mod, could you please show me?
(Jumped up little bludger)

Do you wanna die for art?
If you wear black leather pants
Come on down to Fosters car park
Me and the boys give you your chance