Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Some times he brings his own food to the table to split with them, too

Also, Ursula and Anna nail the feeling of toddler perfectly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Huh... I never knew you could seek out the doctor for astrologic advice after you lamped him; good to know, and indicative of Stolz' character- as long as you give him an opportunity to prove he is smarter than you, he can generally be counted on. I ... kinda regret being nice to him at all now.

And scarcity of the time period aside, I think some folks might be underestimating how much of a novelty someone like Andreas would be in a small, out of the way town like Tassing. As has been established, it's a town way up in the mountains, making the long term commitment of travel even harder due to difficulty of terrain and the narrower ideal time frame (you do not want to get caught in a pass during the winter), and even though it probably has regular visitors due to the abbey and the saint's shrine, the very few who stick around for a day or two would probably stay in an abbey or the nearest inn. But suddenly here's this guy who is from an honest to goodness city, who's been to university, has been a lot more places than most of the townsfolk will ever go, and who's profession is something of a novelty too... and he needs a place to stay because the abbey can only really take in people of the cloth and needs the guest house for dignitaries? You'd better believe Andreas would be a local celebrity, especially if he can go for five minutes without mentioning his wealth or education (unlike certain other people of the town who were introduced today). The Gertners have a pretty huge family, and they still cleared out the whole attic solely for Andreas' use so he would stay with them (and get his money for rent, but so it goes). All of which is to say it isn't so odd to me that most people would say yes when Andreas just strolls up and asks to sup with them of an eve- after all, I am from a boring town too.

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013
I wonder how much an assumption of food scarcity is correct for this area and this time period.

As far as I know our modern ideas about European history often drastically overestimate food scarcity (at least for Middle Ages), so I'm leery of assuming "feed a guest a couple times a week" would be a burden for a stable farming community in 1500s. The Black Death's population reduction was barely a century ago, Europe isn't feeding enormous modern period armies yet, and having trouble with financial stability and taxes is a separate issue from "being able to eat well" for a farmer, so long as no one comes and forcibly takes your food stores away for repayment (which I suspect is less of a risk when there's no wars going on, and doubly so if your landlord is a monastery).

I also doubt we're supposed to think the village is on the verge of destitution and lives entirely off their land: Gertners aren't doing so hot right now, and yet Clara's food stores include almonds. Unless I'm really, really confused about the climate of the Alps, almonds would have to be an import from Italy, Spain or French Région Sud.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I get the feeling that the miller is hot for a wife who can actually bear him multiple children, something his current wife can't do and Eva seems like the only likely candidate who can. I look forward to Andreas quashing the miller's attempts to do this at every possible opportunity.

I feel bad for Else and Paul. Else clearly wishes she could marry for love like Eva.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the miller was a character who got absolutely zero compassion from Andreas during my playthrough. Well, him and the abbot.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I appreciate the second playthrough, because the main is remarkably similar to my experience.

Usually i tend to play games in English, but tlfor this one I went with my native German. Weirdly enough, that translation had some glaring mistakes. Most prominently they translated "pet" with Haustier, which isn't techincally wrong, but does not refer to the act of petting. It felt really stilted when I read stuff like Haustier Mausfänger and I wondered why they felt the need to specify that those are pets, until I realized what was going on.

Anyway, i did like this story and felt like I learned quite a bit. but it's quite significant how splintered the region which is now Germany was back then. Tessin is a really desolate location in Bavaria and much of their traditions or culture didn't catch on in other parts of Germany. For example, even though I like history and legends I've never even heard of Perchta, even though she was a big deal in Bavaria and Austria.

Another little historic tidbit: thise holy relics had a tendency to multiply with plenty of people claiming to have the original. We all know Jesus had a dozen death shrouds and his cross was made from thosands of nails. But the most impressive inflation must be the story of Ursula of Cologne. Originally she died with 11 virigins. But at some point that was written weirdly and suddenly people insisted that she died together with 11 thousand virigins. Needless to say for decades cologne exported countless holy bones of dubious origins.
Also in Cologne there are totally the bones of the three wise men who came to Jesus's birth. Don't question how the catholic church originally obtained them.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 27, 2023

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
I now want to find a spreadsheet of Saints' relics, and see how many of them have multiple arms and legs.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Breadmaster posted:

I now want to find a spreadsheet of Saints' relics, and see how many of them have multiple arms and legs.

(Logician) I'd venture most, if not all of them!

s__herzog
Sep 13, 2022

Beyond just mysterious extra body parts, people would go to incredible lengths to steal bits of relics in order to install them in their own localities. Attempts at theft have even become miracles attributed to saints. I was lucky enough to visit Madrid last year, where the cathedral had a special exhibition about the city's patron saint, San Isidro the Laborer. Among many other events in the detailed timeline of the saint's life and posthumous existence, there was a story about a contingent of nuns visiting from some other region. One of the nuns managed to bite off one of the saint's toes. When the travelers' caravan reached a bridge out of town, they found themselves miraculously unable to proceed, until the guilty nun confessed and relinquished the stolen toe. This is one of the miracles counted as evidence of Isidro's sainthood. And this is literally the only saint I have ever read more than a few dozen words about.

s__herzog
Sep 13, 2022

Everyone check out this guy talking about Pentiment, idk who he is but he seems to have some interesting opinions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeg51A61wSs

Edit: I'm resisting the urge to do live commentary on this video in the middle of the LP. I wonder if Obsidian is hiring software engineers, I gotta look into this.

s__herzog fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 28, 2023

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Lokapala posted:

I wonder how much an assumption of food scarcity is correct for this area and this time period.

As far as I know our modern ideas about European history often drastically overestimate food scarcity (at least for Middle Ages), so I'm leery of assuming "feed a guest a couple times a week" would be a burden for a stable farming community in 1500s. The Black Death's population reduction was barely a century ago, Europe isn't feeding enormous modern period armies yet, and having trouble with financial stability and taxes is a separate issue from "being able to eat well" for a farmer, so long as no one comes and forcibly takes your food stores away for repayment (which I suspect is less of a risk when there's no wars going on, and doubly so if your landlord is a monastery).

food scarcity is more of an acute thing, famine due to war or climate or severe economic fuckups or something. most of the time though if everything was working as it should, people were well fed enough

also something to keep in mind is that gift giving used to be a huge part of local communities. one of the easiest ways to express this is sharing meals. i've shared meals with you, so someday if i'm having trouble you'll share meals with me. or, we share meals with each other to deepen our trust in each other, which either of us can leverage in times of emergency. think of it like building real improvements on your farm, or real coins in your money sack, but instead its building real social credit among the most important people in your life, your neighbors. this is also why people would host feasts, community dinners, bbqs, etc.

of course people aren't exactly thinking about it in this way, folks are just being friendly and hospitable. one of the big strengths of human beings as animals is that we are wildly cooperative for complex creatures, like ants but we can build nukes. we have all kinds of behaviors around how to get along with other humans who we barely know or trust. there's a reason feeding and housing strangers is often held up as a virtue in many cultures across the world. but if you're cooking food and you aren't facing starvation then you probably have enough to share to feed randos, and in exchange you get some entertaining social contact as well as converting that food into basically community goodwill

Breadmaster posted:

higher tier saints roll more times on the loot drop table

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
If angels can have 6 wings or a thousand eyes, then surely a Saint can have a dozen arms

s__herzog
Sep 13, 2022

Part 11: The Stonemason

No more screwing around, it’s time to figure out what motive Lucky might have had to kill the baron. We can find him working outside his house.

Andreas, I have things to do.

Father Thomas needs me to help out at the church. After that I’m going fishing with Old Otto.

So if you don’t need me to repair a wall or a fallen chimney, then leave me be.

I can see you’re busy, so I’ll keep it brief.

I’d hoped to ask you a few questions about Baron Rothvogel.

I don’t think so.

I don’t want to. You are a grown man - that should be reason enough for you.

I saw you shouting at the baron when he arrived in Tassing.

What was that about?

Andreas…

It’s very tricky to get all of the parts of Lucky’s story. This dialog choice is critical in passing a check in the future.

If I wait here, maybe he’ll leave and I can observe his actions.

But should I do it now? It will probably take a while…

Lucky picks up a bucket and fishing pole and walks off. We catch up with him outside the Zimmermann house.

But Grett Alban is making the rounds to deliver bread and can’t help but stop to see what’s going on.

Ah! Nothing going on here. Just having a rest. How are you doing?

You’re looking well! Very… healthy?

Oh you, such a flirt! I’ve been taking a restorative made by that new doctor in town, Werner Stolz.

Being a parent is terribly exhausting, you know. Haha, of course you don’t, but I’m sure you will someday. Nice man like you…

Are the Gertner’s [sic] feeding you enough? You’re looking a little thin.

Here, take some of this bread! That should perk you right up. Nothing like bread to fortify the spirit.

I’m delivering it to Father THomas. You know how the father loves his bread!

He’s quite the bread enthusiast. My favorite customer, ha ha!

Otto and Lucky finish their conversation and head off to the right, while Grett keeps talking.

You should come by the bakery more often, Andreas! Anna would love to see you. It’s so cute when she tries to steal your hat.

Oh! Of course! Until later!

Follow them!

We see Lucky again by the church.

Aw, we really hurt the father’s feelings with that one, but we just can’t let on that we’re following Lucky.

And then, of course, Grett comes up again, because she just told us she was about to deliver bread to Father Thomas.

Ah, Grett. You know I can’t live without my rye.

You’re too kind. Please, enjoy it with my well wishes.

I should be off. Be well, you two!

Grett leaves, and Lucky walks over to confront Andreas. He’s on to us.

Have you suffered a head injury in the ten minutes since we last spoke?

Are you following me, Andreas?

Damage control! This is the least bad option.

God drat it, Andreas, don’t play dumb with me!

Lucky, leave the man be. He and I were talking about the church. All is well.

Now tell me, how’s my wall?

The damage is not difficult to repair - I can do it next week. And I can put the fallen stones back up now.

That would be marvelous. I’m sure the Lady would appreciate it, too.

But don’t risk yourself. Get some younger men to help you.

Lucky starts hauling the heavy rocks from the sled to the gap in the wall. Old Otto walks in.

Even at his age, Lucky is quite able. Only Big Jorg can match his strength.

Thank you for your labors, Lucky!

Lucky silently picks up his bucket and fishing pole and heads off.

Father Thomas might know where the men go fishing…

Buf if I ask him, he’ll know I actually am following Lucky, which he could tell Lucky later…

Lucky would be unhappy about that, especially since he already believes I’m following him…

And it’s not a good idea to get on the bad side of a man who’s so strong.

Our Andreas can’t be a complete caricature, he has to acknowledge his limits at some point.

CHEESE IT

Andreas runs off before Father Thomas can react.

Oh, uh, goodbye?

It would be silly to ask the priest where Lucky went, because there is literally only one fishing spot near town. We rush ahead and hide in a hollow fallen tree. Surely this will end well.

After a moment in the insect-infested tree, a huge-rear end beetle crawls up Andreas’s arm.

The game dynamically detects keyboard only, mouse + keyboard, or gamepad controls. With a mouse, you need to click the beetle. I’m in keyboard mode to make screenshotting easier, so it gives you a specific key to press. I fail this one to get a reaction and raise the stakes.

The view cuts back to the men fishing for a moment, then the next insect.

I pass this one.

Lucky catches a trout, then we swiftly cut to a millipede crawling up Andreas’s leg.

I fail this one too, for a couple of lines of dialogue.

Cut back to the fishing.

Lucky ties his line to his rod, picks up his bucket, and gets ready to leave.

Andreas comically rids himself of all of the remaining insects…

…and hurries after Lucky to the old salt mine.

Lucky kneels, lays down some wildflowers, and closes his eyes in prayer for a moment at the grave.

Andreas walks up to the gravestone to take a look.

As a stonemason, Lucky is the only person around who could carve a gravestone like this. Anyone else would mark an informal grave with a pile of stones or a wooden cross.

That’s strange. Are there two people are [sic] buried here? Children, perhaps?

Could they be… Lucky’s children? But why would they be buried outside the churchyard, then?

What could have happened for Lucky to carve a stone for two innocents who could not receive a Christian burial?

It’s almost like someone was trying to hide them.

Oh. And he left a note with the flowers.

The writing is identical to the script on the note Brother Florian found with the baron’s body.

Someone was trying to lure Lucky to the chapter house to kill Baron Rothvogel.

It remains to be seen if he did.

This grave does seem important to him… But could it be motive enough for him to kill Lorenz?

I won’t know until I figure out who’s buried here.

Time has passed.

Joke’s on you, buddy, we have more than enough random interactions to fill this update before we can make it to dinner.

Obviously, our first diversion is this collection of adorable scamps. Based on my own experience raising children, I’m going to guess that Bert is about 7, Paul is 9, and Anna is 5 (all give or take a year). They are the only children in town (Ursula is a toddler and too young to join the group yet) so of course all three of them form the local adventuring gang during their free time.

Afternoon, Paul.

What are you kids doing down here?

:allears:

What was that?

Frogs!

They keep putting Paul’s speech in this small font to show that he’s quiet, and it’s too adorable to handle.

I am!

Me too!

It appears you’re out-numbered.

It’s nothing bad.

We’re throwing rocks!

Bert!

Rocks down the hole!

You’re throwing rocks in the old mine?

… maybe.

I’ve thrown a hundred rocks.

It’s really not that many.

Andreas no :ohdear:

Isn’t it dangerous?

Andreas, a small child knows better than you.

Many of the best things in life are.

Please stop

I don’t know. I think it would scare my mom.

I mean. More than she already is.

Jesus christ, dude

Um. Not down a big hole.

What do you think’s at the bottom.

Rocks!

…aside from the rocks.

Salt? Dad says the dead guys ate it.

He means the Romans. They built the salt mine. The aqueduct, too.

The aqueduct, the Imperial Road, and many other things besides.

Imperial Road
Also called the Via Imperii LP note: “Imperial Way,” which is the same as “Imperial Road”, the Imperial Road links Venice in the south with Stettin on the Baltic Sea in the north. It passes through Verona, Innsbruck, Nuremberg, and many other cities along the way. It also brings thousands of travelers to Tassing and Kiersau every year.

Thousands of travelers per year visiting Tassing sounds pretty exciting, and a major source of revenue for the abbey and some of the townsfolk.

It seems this town is riddled with Roman building projects.

Oh. Right. There’s something shiny at the bottom.

It’s what we wanna hit with the rocks.

Oh. I hoped it might be groschen.

Or gulden!

The treasure.

We should get it!

Ugh, he can’t be stopped.

Heh heh.

Your dad wouldn’t like it, Bert.

Are you gonna tell, Andreas?

No business!

I refuse to put “Fwog” in text instead of a screenshot. Anna requires respect.

Thank you, Master Maler.

Until later.

Bye!

Alright, we’ll check back with this gang a while later and see how many of them actually make it home safely after Andreas’s horribly irresponsible dialogue choices.

Until then, the only way to go right now is back toward town.

Oh, hello.

There’s no subtlety here, we may as well stop and have a conversation.

Outside of the spinning bee, I think this might be our first opportunity to meet Brigita Baueryn, wife of Martin and daughter of Agnes and Lucky.

Are you here for a swim, too?

Heh, probably not!

I’m sure there are some anime archetypes mapping to Brigita and Veronica’s personalities in this situation or something.

You won’t do anything weird, right?

Our Andreas’s interests are petty theft and random acts of violence against privileged men. To be honest, he doesn’t really have a noticeable sex drive. Let’s call him ace in this playthrough.

Well… we are!

And you shouldn’t be!

We should be getting back for dinner, actually. Mom’ll be wondering where I am.

It’s fine!

Veronica really wants some more adventure in her life and I’m afraid we can’t help her with that today.

Have a good dinner, Andreas!

Andreas fucks off back to town.

Next time: We do our best to pull together the threads of Lucky’s story, we meet Brother Sebhat for dinner, and we visit the widow Ottillia Kemperyn to understand her situation and her motive as a potential suspect in the Baron’s murder.

Thread participation: meal times

We’ll have at least one or two more meals to share with the people of Tassing in this act. Lucky’s investigation route is unique in requiring a meal with Lucky and Agnes to pass a critical persuasion check, and we’ve reserved a meal time for Brother Sebhat because it’s a very special event that deserves attention no matter what. But who else should we eat with? Note that I will make sure to show off most or all of the losing choices in alternate posts, so this vote specifically pertains to our main playthrough. The options are:
  • Otto and Old Otto Zimmermann
  • Grett and Ulrich Alban (including Anna)
  • Clara and Peter Gertner (including Eva, Big Jorg, and Ursula)
  • Heddy and Johan Bauer (including Veronica)
  • Kat and Frantz Bauer (including Brigita and baby Wolff)
  • Lady Salomea, widow of Baron Rothvogel
  • Smokey Köhler and Vácslav (including special guest)

s__herzog fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 31, 2023

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
The way Andreas investigates Lucky made me laugh out loud the first time I saw it, both the way he just goes charging off from Grett and Father Thomas mid-conversation and the way his head pokes out of each of his hiding places. I feel like it also does a good job of showing just how much Andreas is out of his depth by perusing an investigation like this. He's not a genius detective who knows how to interrogate suspects and piece together clues, he's just an artist bumbling around hoping to stumble across something that will exonerate his friend.

For dinners, we should take the opportunity to meet with the late barons wife Lady Salomea. We should also take some time to sit down with the outcasts and join Smokey and Vacslav for a meal.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

I never interacted with the Barons wife in my playthrough so I vote for her

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Lady Salomea is my first choice. If a second choice is possible, Smokey and Vacslav

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Smokey and Vácslav.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I vote for The Gertners.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
I like Grett! And since we like the Gertners, let’s maybe hang with them too if there’s time.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Darn it, Anna if you're deliberately adopting rotacisms in order to be endearing... IT'S WORKING!!!

I also vote for the Gertners, Grett seems nice.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
You can run into the kids and encourage them to jump down the hole? I can't believe I didn't run into this while always spending way too long exploring the entire map after every action. I even triggered this scene with Veronica and Brigita too.

If you have the time, I think a GIF of the fish head smash scene would be good, it comes across way more brutal than the screenshot suggests. I think the sound also helped.

Oh and I think Lady Salomea would be good to visit, especially since we earned the lord's pin previously.

s__herzog
Sep 13, 2022

Edited into the post.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Interesting clues. So seeing the grave and note we can piece together a strong motive for the barons death, but the note implies a third party is involved here.

Let's see Heddy and Johan Bauer (including Veronica). Perhaps they might have another lead?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Another good reason to play the game for yourself as well: the music which plays when Andreas finds the note is genuinely quite creepy, and definitely gives you that chilling sense that something dark is going on that you don't entirely understand.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

s__herzog posted:

Edited into the post.

That can't possibly be the proper way to do that. Imagine the smell of all that fish blood and brain parts.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

That can't possibly be the proper way to do that. Imagine the smell of all that fish blood and brain parts.

Yeah, you'd have to hold it closer to the tail!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yeah, letting it die from whiplash seems better than bashing the fishskull into a rock.

s__herzog
Sep 13, 2022

Prerelease image highlights from the recent dev video:

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
First paragraph of that looks like a spoiler if it's accurate to the final game.

Also I like "Cat Event", have those happen pretty often in my house

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Item Getter posted:

First paragraph of that looks like a spoiler if it's accurate to the final game.

Also I like "Cat Event", have those happen pretty often in my house

Are they CATastrophic? :haw:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Lokapala posted:

there are reasons for the assumption of food scarcity for this area and time period, but those reasons have either just started to happen or haven't happened yet. it has been pretty peaceful in Bavaria for the last fifty years or so, the farms are doing well, exciting innovations are burbling their way up from the Emperor's new holdings in Italy... the future currently looks like sunshine and roses! the old men grumble about how it's colder and it rains more than it used to back in their day, but name a time old men did not grumble about such things.

sure would be a shame if there was some kind of 'little ice age' starting that would kick off a cycle of crop failures, leading to political upheavals, leading to warfare, leading to burning down/looting villages like this one to try to starve out rivals' cities and keep the army in the field longer, leading to more food scarcity, leading to more political upheavals, ultimately resulting in most of the Holy Roman Empire burning to the ground in a war that stretched from Spain to Sweden. and with it, a continent-wide understanding of "german peasant" meaning "actively starving to death and eager to kill to avoid it." you know how the Pennsylvania Dutch are a thing? there is a reason there were an AWFUL FUCKIN' LOT of Germans trying to get out of the home country in the mid-1600s.

fortunately for Andreas' lunch plans, that's all a century in the future. back now, bavaria's fat, happy, and sees no particular reason to assume that's going to change any time soon.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

there are reasons for the assumption of food scarcity for this area and time period, but those reasons have either just started to happen or haven't happened yet. it has been pretty peaceful in Bavaria for the last fifty years or so, the farms are doing well, exciting innovations are burbling their way up from the Emperor's new holdings in Italy... the future currently looks like sunshine and roses! the old men grumble about how it's colder and it rains more than it used to back in their day, but name a time old men did not grumble about such things.

sure would be a shame if there was some kind of 'little ice age' starting that would kick off a cycle of crop failures, leading to political upheavals, leading to warfare, leading to burning down/looting villages like this one to try to starve out rivals' cities and keep the army in the field longer, leading to more food scarcity, leading to more political upheavals, ultimately resulting in most of the Holy Roman Empire burning to the ground in a war that stretched from Spain to Sweden. and with it, a continent-wide understanding of "german peasant" meaning "actively starving to death and eager to kill to avoid it." you know how the Pennsylvania Dutch are a thing? there is a reason there were an AWFUL FUCKIN' LOT of Germans trying to get out of the home country in the mid-1600s.

fortunately for Andreas' lunch plans, that's all a century in the future. back now, bavaria's fat, happy, and sees no particular reason to assume that's going to change any time soon.

Amazing post, both informative and witty. This helps giving the game more context. So it's not a huge imposition when Andreas invites himself to other's meals.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Torrannor posted:

Amazing post, both informative and witty. This helps giving the game more context. So it's not a huge imposition when Andreas invites himself to other's meals.

i'm more up on English social mores around this time than the German ones, but in many cases it was not only not an imposition, it was a way for the hosts to flex on the neighbors. behold: i am both personally nice enough and well-off enough he's staying with ~me~. the miller is a poo poo of a man in general, but we have, in fact, slightly offended him by the fact we're staying with the Gertners. what, are the farmers offering you better accommodation than he can???? are you saying they're BETTER than him!?!?!?!?!

which, yes, he'd charge more for comparable accommodations and we'd also have to talk to him on a regular basis. every meal we share with someone who's not him is a further demonstration that while he's got money and power he cannot buy respect. owned, rear end in a top hat.

(sucks about his wife and son i guess)

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

i'm more up on English social mores around this time than the German ones, but in many cases it was not only not an imposition, it was a way for the hosts to flex on the neighbors.

In fact it was a requirement in many places if you were running for public office, a burgher or an alderman or some other respected townsman. You needed to prove you were wealthy by feasting your neighbours.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Black Robe posted:

In fact it was a requirement in many places if you were running for public office, a burgher or an alderman or some other respected townsman. You needed to prove you were wealthy by feasting your neighbours.

Read that as feasting on your neighbours for a second there.

s__herzog
Sep 13, 2022

Item Getter posted:

Good catch. Redacted.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
other fun things to know about the time period:

the position of Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire has less power than almost all kings and most dukes. most of what they are supposed to do is be a neutral arbiter between the feuding princelings of the Empire; up until extremely recently the generally accepted strategy for electing the next Emperor was making sure the weakest and most easily intimidated candidate got the job, to make sure nobody got any ideas.

a couple years back, though, the head of the House of Hapsburg (their jaw has not yet gone Full Incestmode, but it is already to the point they are not great at closing their mouths) splashed a truly obscene amount of money around and bought his favored grandson the job. Charles the Fifth is Holy Roman Emperor, King of Spain, Archduke of Austria, Duke of Burgundy, Lord of the Netherlands, and Titles To Be Named Later. Hitler and Napoleon stood masters of Europe for the blink of an eye; Charles V basically singlehandedly resurrected the idea that one day one christian ruler would stand above all others, and unite all of Europe under his banner. the only power that could stand against him was France, and everyone including the French knew that if it came to a straight up fight the best they could hope for was to bloody the Hapsburgs on the way down.

and then, because when you think you're in the driver's seat of history you invariably do something really stupid to gently caress it all up, Charles V said "hey the Italians have a lot of money and not a lot of armies, I should send my armies over the Alps into Italy so that can be MY money."

stop me if you've heard this one before: the empire with its boot on the throat of the world launches a war of choice in a place it's a pain in the rear end to get to out of the idea it's going to make money off of it. it is too rich and powerful to call the result a straight up failure- after all, it does take the territory- but it would be very difficult to call the result a success, given what a waste of money, time, blood, and imperial focus it will turn out to be in retrospect.

so, good news/bad news for Andreas: the good news is the Emperor takes almost no interest in his Empire unless something is SCREAMING for his direct intervention, and even then they're lucky to get more than an "i don't care, handle it." he can rest easy knowing imperial law is not going to get turned upside down tomorrow. the bad news is that imperial law currently reads "whatever the local Prince/Bishop/Prince-Bishop says, goes, unless it pisses off a neighbor who's got more troops than him. if he breaks the law what are you going to do, ask the Emperor to rule in your favor lol"

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 3, 2023

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Breadmaster posted:

Read that as feasting on your neighbours for a second there.

This is set in 1518's Bavaria, not 1672's Netherlands.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Red Mike posted:

So that's how you get that achievement! Every single run I stayed hidden because I thought confronting the doctor would get Florian in trouble.

well,

e: also eat with Smokey et al but make sure you get the special guest

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh yes, special visitor should take priority .