Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Aw, missed the voting it seems... It's OK, I've played through this beginning sequence a lot (games like this have a special hold on me). But it is still kinda amusing that Thread Andreas is remarkably close to my first Andreas, except I went with Bookwork- somebody with Beatrice and Prester John in their heads hanging out has probably read a thing or two.

The way this game handles language in particular is amazing; it is a game about... well, a lot of things, but it's partially about language- how people use it, and how it changes both in context and over time. With that in mind, a thing you might have noticed in these two updates is the distinct lack of period vocabulary- no thee or thou, no "forsooth" or "ewiss, no saying or doing things "marvelous well," etc. This is fine for a couple of reasons, and one of these is to remove the barrier such vocabulary would present- Andreas is in a unique position as has been stated to understand and influence his acquaintances and surroundings better than most would, and reading everyone as more or less sounding the same (with different fonts) facilitates that. Another reason, of course, being that the different stylized fonts is already a fairly big ask for players (the church members apparently speak in frakturs, for heavens sake), and the developers probably didn't want to make things too too hard to understand.

And in the third place: look, none of these people are speaking English anyway, and I frankly think most period pieces would benefit from the use of modern language to make a point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I have been through this game too many times, and am too interested in how the thread votes, so I abstain from voting (although I might commentate later). A few observances though:

s__herzog posted:

The Lord has protected my mind from comprehending whatever depravity you meant to imply.

This was one of the first laugh out loud moments for me; Rapscallion is a great background and moments like this are why. This, combined with the pedantry that the Latinist background offers (and everyone so far treating such pedantry exactly how it deserves to be) is making this Andreas a great character. I have seen this LP and name it good.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Well, you have to remember that in this time, the abbot of an abbey like Kiersau is the equivalent of the local lord- he collects the taxes, he administers duties, and most important, he gets to decide who comes into his abbey. I imagine the Father is just the local priest, there to administer to the confessions of the town and the issues therein; the abbey is supposed to be of a higher calling than this. The Baron is an actual noble with powerful friends, so it’s to be expected he would be invited to supper, but it’s not expected he would invite the local priest and another guest… and it isn’t just his sense of entitlement, to be fair- it’s been stated, directly and through implication, that the previous abbot was a lot more open to both new ideas and his community, and was much, much less of an rear end in a top hat, too.

But, yeah! Through the thread’s infinite wisdom, we have stood by our morally questionable new buddy and pissed off our employer, someone who could not only make trouble for everyone we know in the village, but who just could send a sternly worded letter to the proper authorities to get Andreas accused of heresy! This sounds like a judgement post, because at this point in my first playthrough I did the very same thing; there’s nothing that could have made it less awkward and horrible in this time period, and there’s a point where you’re just like, gently caress it, this can’t get any worse, go whole hog.

But it does bear repeating, and students of this time period will be able to articulate why: this stuff? This stuff gets people killed.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Vacslav is probably my favorite background character in the game, and one would certainly hope his loquaciousness about a lot of stuff that really isn't healthy to talk a lot about in this time period, is because he just doesn't talk to people much.

Understandable, you know, considering. I'm not the thing to make the effort post the Romani deserve, but... things typically didn't (and don't) end up well for them, no.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

MillennialVulcan posted:

Why is the Nuremburg/Innsbruck inches bit so drat funny?

Well, it's funny because there absolutely are people like that in real life, and they are every bit as annoying as the characters in these games find them. Plenty of games allow you to be as murderous as possible, but fewer games allow you to be annoying like this.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Huh... I never knew you could seek out the doctor for astrologic advice after you lamped him; good to know, and indicative of Stolz' character- as long as you give him an opportunity to prove he is smarter than you, he can generally be counted on. I ... kinda regret being nice to him at all now.

And scarcity of the time period aside, I think some folks might be underestimating how much of a novelty someone like Andreas would be in a small, out of the way town like Tassing. As has been established, it's a town way up in the mountains, making the long term commitment of travel even harder due to difficulty of terrain and the narrower ideal time frame (you do not want to get caught in a pass during the winter), and even though it probably has regular visitors due to the abbey and the saint's shrine, the very few who stick around for a day or two would probably stay in an abbey or the nearest inn. But suddenly here's this guy who is from an honest to goodness city, who's been to university, has been a lot more places than most of the townsfolk will ever go, and who's profession is something of a novelty too... and he needs a place to stay because the abbey can only really take in people of the cloth and needs the guest house for dignitaries? You'd better believe Andreas would be a local celebrity, especially if he can go for five minutes without mentioning his wealth or education (unlike certain other people of the town who were introduced today). The Gertners have a pretty huge family, and they still cleared out the whole attic solely for Andreas' use so he would stay with them (and get his money for rent, but so it goes). All of which is to say it isn't so odd to me that most people would say yes when Andreas just strolls up and asks to sup with them of an eve- after all, I am from a boring town too.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

This game has many ways to play, but it really isn't a proper playthrough to me if Anna doesn't get Andreas' hat :3:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

s__herzog posted:

I don’t think it’s possible to pass this check without the Orator background. We’ll see that result in the alt playthrough.

Ooh, you were so close, though! I'm pretty sure the option asking if she had enough firewood (to avoid a cold snap) would have put you over the top without orator... at least that's what I could have sworn happened to me during a playthrough.

Myself, I was never able to get the Steiner's to open up to me about those graves, because outright asking was something I didn't think would work (or would have gotten Andreas pounded six ways to Sunday).

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Moonlit Knight posted:

Also, I should say that Pentiment was one of my gaming highlights of the last few years and this LP and the discussion makes me very happy.

Saaaaaame. I don't feel I can contribute too much to the discussion, I've pretty much played this game every which way I can and I'm too afraid to spoil something even inadvertently. But I really did the reaction it's getting here (and that the thread is continuing!)

So I will leave the thread to decide between the lovely guy who hates us that we want to finger (but there is no evidence to do so), the possibly violent dude who could have done it but honestly had a sympathetic reason for it (and again no hard evidence), and the lonely old woman who even wants to die but still... lonely widow.

A murder trial based purely on vibes! Isn't it great!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

New indeed! I had no idea that you could talk to the executioner, even if it stands to reason that this would be the place he would eat. And ooohhh... this convo provides context I wish I had, first time around.

But that's the thing with games like this, isn't it- there is no slam dunk evidence you can get , gust a lot of pieces and fragments that feel like damning evidence in the moment, but may or may not actually help you or the person you want to help. This game is so good at being a mystery game I legit want to cry about it.

(and also to mention that it's 33 percent of on steam right now, from 19.99, such a deal, go get it)