Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Another thing that was important during that time and for that region is that in 1495, Emperor Maximilian proclaimed the Ewiger Landfriede ("Perpetual Peace"), which essentially curtailed the right of nobles to wage vendetta wars against each other. Maybe even more importantly, it established a system of imperial jurisdiction that played a big part in moving conflicts from the battlefield to the courtroom, although this wouldn't fully come to fruition until after the Thirty Years War; and lastly, it attempted to secure the execution of the Landfriede by setting up Reichskreise ("Imperial Circles") as an additional layer in the nascent imperial bureaucracy. The following centuries would show that those Circles were very disparate in how effective they were, however; some were highly active while others pretty much only existed on paper. I *think* that the Landfriede gets off-handedly mentioned somewhere in the game too, but I might be mistaken.

Also what I think is also worth mentioning is that this time, i.e. the late 15th and early 16th century was a time where religious fervour was at an all-time high. It's no coincidence that Luther plopped up during that time, and also not that he proved as successful and consequential as it did. You can also see this before: The 15th century was full of religious strife (people tend to forget that Luther wasn't the first significant religious reformist; Jan Hus came a century before him and the Ultraqust/Hussite movement inspired by him was afaik the first legally recognised Christian denomination in Europe to exist besides Catholicism and Orthodoxy), people saw sinister portents wherever they went - there is a book commissioned by Emperor Maximilian in 1503 that is full of illustrations of strange comets, crosses suddenly appearing, beatific visions, blood raining from the heavens etc. Many people legit thought that the end of times was upon them! In retrospect this fervour was probably a reaction to great changes coming - s__herzog already posted about those - as well as the feeling of Christendom being threatened by outside forces, i.e. the Ottomans who in 1453 had conquered Constantinople and had annexed great swathes of Christian territory in south-western Europe since then, culminating in the (failed) siege of Vienna in 1529.

Last but certainly not least: a great LP for a great game, thank you s__herzog! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

s__herzog posted:

Entering the church, we hear a single singer practicing. If you enjoy Medieval/Renaissance music, you should consider buying the Pentiment soundtrack, checking out other works by Alkemie, and then looking into other recording artists in the early music community. Aside from a couple of special scenes, I don’t consider music a critical element of this game’s presentation, but if anyone wants me to lean on my actual academic background to talk a bit more about music from this part of history, please say the word and I’ll oblige.

Please do, this sounds super interesting!

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Samovar posted:

That's fair enough. I was foolishly making the assumption that all churches in Ethiopia would have been Orthodox by the time of the game and thus heretical, but just because the state has a religion, that does not mean that all peoples under that state follow it.

The three Ethiopian priests that were present at Constance actually were of the Ethiopian Church too! The relationship between the Roman Catholic Church and the various Orthodox/Oriental Orthodox Churches always was more to view the latter as "schismatics" and not necessarily "heretics" (the same vice versa), so not really an irreconcilable difference in doctrine but more an estranged sibling, if that makes sense. During the 15th century the papacy put not insignificant efforts towards bridging that gap again, especially during the Council of Florence (1431-39) where delegates from all over the Christian world (including Ethiopia) came together to hash out the possibility of reunification. On paper a lot of progress was made and several high-profiles unifications were agreed on, but they didn't prove to be popular back home and ultimately fell through because of that.

Ehtiopia actually would become Catholic later on, albeit only briefly for a couple of years in the 17th century when the Ethiopian Emperor would declare Roman Catholicism to be the new state religion. The Jesuit priest who was supposed to oversee the conversion was super conservative, however, and thus his attempts at suppressing local customs and Latinising the Ethiopian Church were met with great resistance until the eventual reinstation of Ethiopian Orthodoxy. There is a Ethiopian Catholic Church nowadays (established in the 19th century) which recognises papal primacy but celebrates according to the Ethiopian rite, but with only about 70,000 faithful it's pretty small.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Just one thing: in the game, you'll see the women being adressed with the same surname as their husband, but with an "-yn" at the end. This is just the general German suffix marking female gender (although it's "-in" nowadays") and is used e.g. in professions, e.g. der Pilot (male) - die Pilotin (female). It used to be very common to adress married women with the surname of their husband and an "-in". In some dialects like my native Bavarian this is actually still a thing, albeit not as a direct form of adress but more when you're talking about somebody, so when you've got a Herr Singer you could talk about his wife as "die Singerin".

House names are also something that's not quite gone extinct yet - I remember a case of somebody who grew up in the same village as my father did and who only ever got addressed by his house name. I only learned his legal surname after his death in fact! But for the most part these are something that only the elderly still know and use, and only in rural areas to boot.