Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Lokapala posted:

I can only assume he made a good use of the Key of Solomon to get some demonic time travel help, to obtain the Heptameron in 1518.

The book in question is probably not the short story collection from 1558, but the grimoire theoretically written by Pietro d'Abano, who was killed by the Inquisition in 1316. I think the authorship of that is disputed, but this isn't my area, so I wouldn't be able to say for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

s__herzog posted:

Part 2: Sheep

Thomas Aquinas
An immensely influential philosopher, theologian, and jurist in the tradition of scholasticism.

This is, if anything, underselling St. Thomas Aquinas. He's probably the most influential thinker (certainly one of the most) in Catholicism, which, given the influence the church has had on the history of the world, probably makes him one of the most influential scholars, period. We actually just passed his feast day just a month ago - January 28th. His works are still required reading in the church in modern times.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Oh, yeah, I'm not criticizing the game there. Just taking a moment to provide one of the few additional pieces of context I'm actually going to be able to.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

rope kid posted:

The blurbs have to be quite brief and Aquinas was one where it felt particularly difficult to encompass his impact with examples (I guess I could have thrown in Summa Contra Gentiles and Summa Theologiae).

People could write, and have written entire books on a lot of the authors and concepts presented in this game. You could have had multiple pagefuls of text to explain each one, but nobody would have ever read them. The dialogue in the game itself actually provides additional context, too; the idea of combining the logic of Aristotle with the church's teachings isn't an unreasonable summary of Aquinas' work, and the Baron's dismissal of that work provides more data on it (and on him). Like I said before, I'm not criticizing; I would not relish being handed the task of summarizing the life of Thomas Aquinas in 1-2 sentences. (If you were going to mention something specific, I'd probably have leaned on Summa Theologiae, personally, since even though it was never finished, most people consider it his masterwork.)

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Viola the Mad posted:

Yeah so I read the first update of this LP and immediately bought the game on Steam. It is Good.

s__herzog, you are doing the Lord's work here.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Ah, you have encountered the best character in the game.

I was really impressed by the patting animations. It's a little thing, but look at how Andreas holds out his hand for Mausfänger to sniff before scratching her chin and head. Watch her tail and head positions, too. This is a very authentic set of cat interactions.

s__herzog posted:

Entering the church, we hear a single singer practicing. If you enjoy Medieval/Renaissance music, you should consider buying the Pentiment soundtrack, checking out other works by Alkemie, and then looking into other recording artists in the early music community. Aside from a couple of special scenes, I don’t consider music a critical element of this game’s presentation, but if anyone wants me to lean on my actual academic background to talk a bit more about music from this part of history, please say the word and I’ll oblige.

YouTube clip
Spotify: Rüdeger’s Rehearsal

Oh, jeez, please lean on your actual academic background to talk a bit more about music from this part of history.

When I got to this part of the game, I stopped just about where your screenshot is and waited for a minute, because I wanted to listen to the singing and was worried I might interrupt it by hitting an area transition or something.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This scene more or less cemented my opinion of the game, not just for itself (and it is close to perfect), but because I once had a conversation with my sister (a librarian) about the Aeneid that went exactly this way. One of the first times, as a child, that I really thought about the role of women in fiction and in society.

The Aeneid itself is probably worth a few words, given that it's generally held to be one of the classic works of literature of the ancient world. In terms of its structure, it's a lengthy poem written in dactylic hexameter, probably in conscious imitation of the Iliad (although it was not uncommon for Latin poetry). The climax of the story is summarized by the image I've quoted here and alluded to in the text; Aeneas, a Trojan, escapes from the destruction of the city by the Greeks and is informed of his destiny to found a new city. He has to contend with the gods, particularly Juno, who is not only upset about the whole apple thing that started the Trojan war but that her favorite city is going to get destroyed by the Romans in the future ("Carthago delenda est"). She arranges for his fleet to be destroyed, because that's just something that happened to heroes in the ancient world, and the remnants of his soldiers end up in Africa. Of course, he is assisted by gods as well, because that's also traditional; particularly his mother, Venus, who helps him get in good with Dido, queen of Carthage (the area in which he was shipwrecked), by arranging that she fall in love with him. There is then an extended flashback in which Aeneas explains what happened to Troy from the Trojan perspective (it was not fun) and how he'd wandered since then. He claims he wants to stay with her, but the gods remind him that he has to go found Rome, so he slips away in the night; Dido, stricken with grief, stabs herself with his sword while simultaneously lighting herself on fire. (Got to give her points for thoroughness.)

Sister Illuminata is absolutely correct about Dido's role in the story. Even as a queen, her main function is to be a plot device to get Aeneas back on his feet, something he can be sad about and also use to prove his piety and devotion to duty, and incidentally an explanation of the rivalry between Rome and Carthage. This is still only the first half of the work; in the remaining half, Aeneas takes a quick trip to the underworld (again, more or less traditional for this sort of adventure) and then goes to Latium where he comprehensively fucks everything up but eventually murders all the correct people and fulfills his destiny.

The poem is as much a work of propaganda as anything else; it's generally considered that it was written to create a solid mythological history of Rome and of the Roman emperors. It's probably not a surprise that it was a big hit, even though Virgil, the poet, died before finishing it. (It's relatively complete; it just needed some editing.)

The opening words, arma virumque cano ("I sing of arms and the man") are often used to induce PTSD in anyone that took Latin in school.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Carpator Diei posted:

Worth noting that it was also a heavily canonized work in the emerging humanist worldviews; the most prominent example of this is Dante, who chose Virgil as his literary guide through the Inferno because he considered him to be the most profound influence on his own approach to epic poetry (and for Dante, poetry was intimately connected with morality and piety, among other things). It's a nice detail that Sister Illuminata doesn't bother to really summarize its plot before discussing it: Since Andreas has studied, she can safely assume that he knows what the Aeneid is about.

Great points. I feel like there's just enough context here for someone that isn't familiar with the work to understand what she's trying to say. (I streamed this part for some friends who hadn't read it, and they didn't seem to have any trouble.)

rope kid posted:

We also had a Latin consultant, Heather Nabbefeld, who was a classmate of mine in college and now teaches at Boston Latin School.

An excellent school, and I'm not just saying that because that's where I learned about the Aeneid.

I wonder how many games one can apply the phrase "three PhD consultants" to?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Make a complete rear end of yourself. Do it as loudly and as often as possible.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Also put in a good word for Piero, if possible.

If it would be alright, OP, even though you didn't ask, I would also like to vote to be as nice as possible to Piero at all times.

Oh, and:

s__herzog posted:

Don’t trouble yourself over it. Time passes for us all, things change, the future will write over the present.

The Dictionary posted:

pentimento (n): a reappearance in a painting of an original drawn or painted element which was eventually painted over by the artist

:thunk:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

s__herzog posted:

I just got assigned to a large language model project at work, so I've been spending some time chatting with Bing.

I wonder how Sydney would relate these stories.

This is one of my favorite transitions in the game, because of how it says as much about Andreas as it does about Til. On the one hand, we have the bias getting a hole poked in it... but on the other hand, we see how Andreas appreciates the value of reading and learning more generally.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

If Martin doesn't tell you to eat poo poo, are you even living your life right?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This whole sequence is just amazing.

And I'll second the recommendation of trying injera; it's a very distinctive taste, and it's fun eating the meal along with the plate.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Key Wat is also really good.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

One of the most significant facts about this murder is that Lorenz was a piece of poo poo, and that everyone who has a motive has a motive we'd feel sympathetic towards.

I'd say open the bag and tell the whole truth, mostly because I'm curious what this set of evidence (plus whatever you get from your one segment tomorrow) will result in.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

The charcoal-burner has tales to tell.
He lives in the Forest,
Alone in the Forest;
He sits in the Forest,
Alone in the Forest.
And the sun comes slanting between the trees,
And rabbits come up, and they give him good-morning,
And rabbits come up and say, "Beautiful morning"....
And the moon swings clear of the tall black trees,
And owls fly over and wish him good-night,
Quietly over to wish him good-night....

And he sits and thinks of the things they know,
He and the Forest, alone together—
The springs that come and the summers that go,
Autumn dew on bracken and heather,
The drip of the Forest beneath the snow....
All the things they have seen,
All the things they have heard:
An April sky swept clean and the song of a bird....
Oh, the charcoal-burner has tales to tell!
And he lives in the Forest and knows us well.

- A. A. Milne, "The Charcoal-Burner", from Now We Are Six

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Never heard of this book before, but Wikipedia contains a wild detail from it:

quote:

Franz Schmidt's father, Heinrich, was originally a woodsman in the north-eastern Bavarian town Hof. Once, when the notoriously tyrannical margrave of Brandenburg-Kulmbach, Albrecht II (r. 1527–1553), wanted three men hanged, he picked out Heinrich from the crowd and forced him to perform the execution, after which he had no option but to continue in the profession of executioner.

"They didn't have a standing executioner and the prince, in a crowd, said to Heinrich Schmidt, Frantz's father: You! You are going to hang these guys! Heinrich replied, I'm not going to do that. The prince said: You hang them or I am going to string you up instead, as well as the two men standing next to you. So Heinrich did it. And once he did it there was no other job. Nobody wanted to have anything to do with him. He and his children were condemned to the occupation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

s__herzog posted:

As a programmer, I will insist that periods belong outside of quotes. As a copy editor, I would expect the period to be inside the quotes. Talk amongst yourselves.

You are correct that the rules of formal writing dictate that the punctuation goes inside the quotation marks. It is, therefore, our duty to get these rules changed by continually violating them.