Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Very, very happy about this :) I'm very interested in Pentiment, but wouldn't have time to play it myself.

And there's even still time to vote, so here's my version of the story:

Andreas studied Medicine, but became a lot more occupied with the techniques of depicting human anatomy than with the anatomy itself, which ultimately put an end to his studies. He became quite a Bookworm in the process, and like for many learned and semi-learned people at the time, his appreciation for Logic and his keen interest in Occult practices are not a contradiction at all. After dropping out he traveled the Low Countries, a rather good place to be an artist at that time, attracted to a good degree by the lush and imaginative hellscapes created by Hieronymus Bosch (whom he might have even still have come in time to meet).

He considers himself to be an urban person with all that this entails, certainly a burgher and not a peasant; particularly, he takes some pride in not being permanently bound to the service of any noble or clerical ruler. While he feels quite a bit of distance between himself and the peasantry, he'll easily take their side when it's them against the nobility or the landed clergy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
I love Brother Guy's bio. "Generally regarded as kind of a sycophantic boot-licker. Father Gernot likes him."

Also, Mausfänger means Mouse-Catcher. A very utilitarian name.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

The Aeneid itself is probably worth a few words, given that it's generally held to be one of the classic works of literature of the ancient world.
Worth noting that it was also a heavily canonized work in the emerging humanist worldviews; the most prominent example of this is Dante, who chose Virgil as his literary guide through the Inferno because he considered him to be the most profound influence on his own approach to epic poetry (and for Dante, poetry was intimately connected with morality and piety, among other things). It's a nice detail that Sister Illuminata doesn't bother to really summarize its plot before discussing it: Since Andreas has studied, she can safely assume that he knows what the Aeneid is about.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

s__herzog posted:

It’s your church, father, but you can’t put it off forever. The foundation is going to crack.
Uuh, symbolism ~

But really, the themes are already quite strong.