Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

ZCKaiser posted:

Been meaning to check this out.

Italy
Hedonist
Imperial Law
Logician
Orator

Party lawyer turned artist sounds fun.

I second these choices. This was a good game, and I'd love to see the LP of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

^^^ gosh, yes.

Blood sacrament is a kick-rear end swear.

Also, Till Eulenspiegel is far from being the most explicit texts from back in the day - there's the... 'interesting' text: Le Chevalier qui fist parler les cons

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Mainwaring posted:

I'm going to say something controversial here... I don't like the Abbott

Yeah, he's much less nice than the Castello.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I agree re. Sebhat.

I know there was no love lost between the Catholic See and Eastern Orthodoxy, but I would have thought Sebhat would have been of the Ethiopian Orthodoxy - would a priest from such a different background be so welcome in a Benedictine monastery?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

rope kid posted:

Three Ethiopian priests were at the Council of Constance 100 years before Pentiment takes place. So yes, it's unlikely, but this entire community is fictional and I'm the boss, applesauce.

That's fair enough. I was foolishly making the assumption that all churches in Ethiopia would have been Orthodox by the time of the game and thus heretical, but just because the state has a religion, that does not mean that all peoples under that state follow it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Thanks for schooling me!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I hadn't selected Latinist as a background, so when Mathieu said that Lorentz and his men were decimated, I thought he was using it correctly. Knowing he hosed it up is tres amusant.

...it reminds me a bit of seeing examples of notes in medieval manuscripts of the monks bitching about their everyday lives instead of just copying and copying texts. It's... Stuff like that which really makes them seem like real people.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

...it's not a thing that came up in this update, (but it has done in earlier updates) but something that this game does re. persuasion checks that I feel is not as good as, e.g. Disco Elysium, is that you don't see when you will be making a check, and you don't have an idea of how good your chances are before you make the check.

Now, I get that being able to see those chances would really change the feel of this game - it would certainly make it less realistic, but it did make the whole mechanics feel... Somehow pointless? Like, why was it necessary to mention 'this will be remembered' if one cannot see how it will effect things until it happens? It seems like it is an unneeded pop-up, since ALL things within reason that you do will be remembered by others.

... sorry if this sounds like I'm being harsh; I do still really like this game. It just came to me when I was thinking: 'what do I specifically Iike/dislike about it'?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

rope kid posted:

If we did not telegraph the instances where things were being remembered, the player could very reasonably conclude that no one is paying attention to anything they are saying/it doesn't matter - until it does.

Both Andreas' internal voices and the pop-ups are a way for us to convey that there will be a point in time where the things you are doing will be instrumental in how an NPC reacts to you, so you should keep that in mind when you are making choices in general.

Fair enough. I admit, reading over my comment, that it felt like I was making a mountain out of a molehill - but thanks for the reply!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

It isn't mentioned in the text of the game, but it's little wonder that the village gets flooded when it rains heavily - the aqueducts that would have diverted excess rainfall are destroyed, after all.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I vote for Lucky and Otilla - but also the Doctor.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

s__herzog posted:

Surnames in Europe

Rothvogel: red bird - maybe from a coat of arms, or local folklore from his estate, or any number of other origins

For the longest time, I thought the name Rothschild was like Peterson, e.g. Child of Roth, until it was pointed out the Roth meant Red, and so it means 'Red-shield'. Felt like a total fool when that came to me.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I thought Andreas came from Nuremberg, not Glasgow!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

IthilionTheBrave posted:

That's how I'm interpreting that as well. I'd also assume that the Baron probably had a role in impregnating the girl/woman to begin with.

...that would also explain why the Prioress would be so keen on keeping the nuns away from him, if she had knowledge of this.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

BassMug posted:

Man, I’m glad our Andreas is a relatively benign rapscallion. Some of these alternate dialogues are just cruel.

Yeah, it's like Disco Elysium. You can choose to be really mean if you want.

...I also find it interesting that Illuminata calls Andreas Doctor at one point.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

The kids in this game are just too drat adorable. I just want to pinch their cheeks...

...until I remember that when I was a kid and that was done to me, I didn't like it in the slightest, neither did any of my peers. So then I stop wanting to do that.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 27, 2023

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Darn it, Anna if you're deliberately adopting rotacisms in order to be endearing... IT'S WORKING!!!

I also vote for the Gertners, Grett seems nice.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

That can't possibly be the proper way to do that. Imagine the smell of all that fish blood and brain parts.

Yeah, you'd have to hold it closer to the tail!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Breadmaster posted:

Read that as feasting on your neighbours for a second there.

This is set in 1518's Bavaria, not 1672's Netherlands.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh yes, special visitor should take priority .

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

The whole bible-study with Sebhat just is... Fantastic. Absolutely fantastic.

Also, I recommend injerra with Ye'abesha Gomen and spiced lentils. Delicious!

Edit: vvv Misir Wat! That's the name of the spiced lentil dish! Thanks for reminding me!

Samovar fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 6, 2023

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

BUMBACLOT posted:

Thanks for this LP. I actually started reading "The Name of the Rose" before I found this thread and I've been enjoying that very much so this is right up my alley. Good stuff.

I'm kind of annoyed with Eco, because even though I liked TNotR, I couldn't get into his other books.

Admittedly, I did like his non-fictional stuff, particularly his books reviewing concepts of beauty and ugliness in medieval/renaissance art.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I wonder - when did representations of the crucifixion start showing the nails going through the hands as opposed to the wrists? I would have imagined there was a time when they did the latter...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

It's at times like these that Diderot's quote: "Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest" comes to mind.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

At the risk of sounding pushy, any ETA on the next update?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yes, I'd like to see the new content also.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Hooray! Glad to see this back!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I at least vote to remove any suspicions from the widow.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

The thing about charcoal burners being persona non grata took me aback. Knowing prejudices against Roma, and also against executioners meant that the others being forced to eat away from the rest of the village made sense, but I've never heard anything specifically about people of Smokey's profession back in the day.

Since everything else in this game is well-linked to actual referenced history, I assume it must be from a genuine source, but I'm not sure how to go about verifying it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

European peasantry being a cowardly, superstitious lot? Say it ain't so!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

rope kid posted:

The info about charcoal burners came from Joel F. Harrington’s book The Faithful Executioner, where burners were described as being in a lower rung of social acceptability. Executioners could marry into a charcoal burner family, for example.

Neat! I keep forgetting you're part of the forums.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

bewilderment posted:

But also we can see based on that last conversation that while Ferenc might be a blood mage, he's not murdering people for it.

Besides, there's nowt special about being a blood mage in the setting of the game. People are turning wine into blood almost every day and no-one's batting an eyelid!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I also vote for Aragon.

Oh yes, something of note. In an earlier update, when lunching with the executioner, he mentions that the sword he'll be using is useless in a fight. If you look carefully during the scene, you can see evidence of this being the case; there's no sharp tip - you cannot stab with it. Only cut.

Also, I despise Gernot.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Oct 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Hooray!