Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Viola the Mad posted:

Yeah so I read the first update of this LP and immediately bought the game on Steam. It is Good.

Same. It's been on my list since I saw it described/reviewed a couples months ago, but it took that first update to make me realise really what kind of game it is.

I have to say that it probably would have been much more fun for me to just follow the LP instead, because it's so hard for me to not basically go re-exploring every single screen/conversation whenever something might have changed. I could tell I was ruining my own fun, but just following the story points/markers made me feel like I was missing out! But hey I get to enjoy the LP now anyway, so worked out fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

quote:

“I hope my cat kills the baby rabbits before someone tries to save them”

Baby rabbits are ravenous and will take over and destroy your garden (and are also small, nimble and dumb enough to get past most things that'll keep a fully grown rabbit away). If you're intending to keep your garden whole, you're not going to be saving them, quite the opposite. Better for the cat to have its fill too so at least someone comes out on top.

quote:

Can you read Italian?

I don't remember but I think this is one of the rarer font switch situations that also involves the character speaking in a different language (that then gets translated back to English after the text is scrubbed out)?

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
I think Andreas is still too young and naive and may be a jerk that doesn't really think through the consequences of his words. Can't learn to be tactful until you make a complete rear end of yourself first a couple times.

Not putting this on you s__herzog, but I wonder if this is the type of LP that would benefit from having an abbreviated 'alternate timeline' view of the complete opposite choices once you're further along. I think some of the differences end up being quite stark.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
I'm trying to think what a modern analogue for the dinner scene would be and I can't say I can think of anything that really works.

Also, maybe it's my own lack of knowledge (or rather mostly knowing things about the modern orthodox religion which isn't the same) but when I first played through the first act I didn't really understand that there's a very real distinction between priests like Father Thomas, and monks/the abbot. I assumed the entire time that the priest would basically just be in the same hierarchy (just "stationed" in a town/church and not made to swear vows), so I was confused at things like Thomas being reluctant to join the abbot's supper.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Lucky and the widow are my suggestion. I do also think it would be good to visit the Doctor and be as much of a pedantic smart-rear end as we can (and it's not listed but maybe visit the mill and do the same).

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Jokymi posted:

You get an achievement for headbutting the doctor and it's the rarest one in the game, at least on Steam. Only 0.8% of players have it and I'm one of them. I love the rapscallion background!

So that's how you get that achievement! Every single run I stayed hidden because I thought confronting the doctor would get Florian in trouble.

Also for a later on meal opportunity we should visit Frantz to cement how much he is a "first-class rear end in a top hat".

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Samovar posted:

...I also find it interesting that Illuminata calls Andreas Doctor at one point.

It wasn't in the transcription, but I'd be surprised if that's not highlighted in blue or green to show basically sarcasm?

Interesting to see the alternate playthroughs, those really are different than any playthrough I've done.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Ahh, I enjoyed the dissonance in doing the meal with Lucky a bit later (more specifically after the "actual" investigation into him, particularly if you fail horribly at it), nearly as awkward as one of the other meal opportunities. I also didn't even realise there was a scene with Ursula at this point because I inevitably snuck into the library the first chance I got, turns out you can miss it.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Mainwaring posted:

Yeah I also missed the adorable storytime scene. As for the meal with Lucky I screwed up following him so badly that later when I asked about a meal I was straight up told to gently caress off

Don't want to turn this into a redacted document reading but yeah, same; you can still have the meal I think by talking to Agnes unless you've been an rear end in a top hat I think. That's what makes the entire scene extremely awkward. I don't know why but I assumed there was a set of choices where you can also get decked in the face as part of this.

Also when it came to this point I have to say internally my thought process was "wow you really just walked into their house and basically invited yourself to their food?", although at the time I was still kind of assuming internally that everyone in Tassing but the abbot/monks/doctor/miller were all basically struggling to have enough to eat at that point. It still comes across incredibly rude to me even besides that though!

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
You can run into the kids and encourage them to jump down the hole? I can't believe I didn't run into this while always spending way too long exploring the entire map after every action. I even triggered this scene with Veronica and Brigita too.

If you have the time, I think a GIF of the fish head smash scene would be good, it comes across way more brutal than the screenshot suggests. I think the sound also helped.

Oh and I think Lady Salomea would be good to visit, especially since we earned the lord's pin previously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Glad to see this back too! It's been a while since I played but I don't remember this second dream sequence at all, nor one of the monks stopping you? I wonder if I ended up accidentally skipping them by doing the one investigation option that takes you through to the next day on this particular night.

Also, I think there were a couple small game updates since the LP last updated? I never checked to see if there was anything important in them though.

e: For the voting: since Andreas is a logician/law person in this playthrough, it's in character that he'd try to "give all the facts" in a misguided attempt to be rational, but I also think he's not so far gone as to accuse the widow. In fact he'd probably try to help her out if possible, especially after lunch with Lady Salomea and seeing the parallels.

Red Mike fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Sep 4, 2023