Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Lokapala posted:

Ooh, this looks very interesting.

...speaking of interesting, that's certainly a set of books for a Prior to give out to a rando artist. I can only assume he made a good use of the Key of Solomon to get some demonic time travel help, to obtain the Heptameron in 1518. (apologies for accidental spoilers if there's actual time travel in this game)

I know occult bullshit is high fashion at this time, and no one (of notable standing) was actually getting inquisitioned for it (yet), but that was still a startling book list to see just casually mentioned.

idonotlikepeas posted:

The book in question is probably not the short story collection from 1558, but the grimoire theoretically written by Pietro d'Abano, who was killed by the Inquisition in 1316. I think the authorship of that is disputed, but this isn't my area, so I wouldn't be able to say for sure.
Correct.

Prior Ferenc is Hungarian, and in Central Europe, dabbling in learned magic was even less persecuted at this time than it was farther west. However, he is playing with fire and it quickly becomes relevant to the plot.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The blurbs have to be quite brief and Aquinas was one where it felt particularly difficult to encompass his impact with examples (I guess I could have thrown in Summa Contra Gentiles and Summa Theologiae).

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Three Ethiopian priests were at the Council of Constance 100 years before Pentiment takes place. So yes, it's unlikely, but this entire community is fictional and I'm the boss, applesauce.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How much knowledge did you (or anyone that worked on the game really) have with 16th century Bavaria before making Pentiment and what was the research process like, if you dont mind
I have a BA in history, focusing on the Holy Roman Empire in the early modern period (more specifically on witch-hunting). My grandmother was born in Bavaria (near Kempten) and in researching my family history I've traveled to Germany maybe a dozen times and Bavaria/the Allgäu 4 or 5 times. My dad is an artist (well, was... mostly retired now) and I learned a lot of art history through him and the books in our house. I'm fluent (but not native) in German and have a solid (reading) foundation in Latin, French, and Spanish. I was already pretty familiar with a lot of notable manuscripts and incunabula from the 13th-16th centuries and had read a lot about the development of different bookhands and the early typefaces.

So I had a lot of background knowledge going into the project, but we bolstered that considerably both with additional research and with our three PhD consultants (Christopher de Hamel, Ed Kern, and Winston Black).

E: I should also add that Zoe Franznick, who joined the team in the second half of development, is a medievalist, albeit focusing in an earlier time period, and a Latinist (much better than me). She did most of the heavy lifting for the extended Latin passages in the game (I stuck to simple phrases/sentences). We also had a Latin consultant, Heather Nabbefeld, who was a classmate of mine in college and now teaches at Boston Latin School.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 7, 2023

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Samovar posted:

Like, why was it necessary to mention 'this will be remembered' if one cannot see how it will effect things until it happens? It seems like it is an unneeded pop-up, since ALL things within reason that you do will be remembered by others.
If we did not telegraph the instances where things were being remembered, the player could very reasonably conclude that no one is paying attention to anything they are saying/it doesn't matter - until it does.

Both Andreas' internal voices and the pop-ups are a way for us to convey that there will be a point in time where the things you are doing will be instrumental in how an NPC reacts to you, so you should keep that in mind when you are making choices in general.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Samovar posted:

For the longest time, I thought the name Rothschild was like Peterson, e.g. Child of Roth, until it was pointed out the Roth meant Red, and so it means 'Red-shield'. Felt like a total fool when that came to me.
Easily forgiven considering almost everyone in English speaking countries pronounces it like "Roth's Child" instead of "Rot Schild"

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

If you patch the game there are also some updates to content.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The info about charcoal burners came from Joel F. Harrington’s book The Faithful Executioner, where burners were described as being in a lower rung of social acceptability. Executioners could marry into a charcoal burner family, for example.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I highly recommend The Faithful Executioner. It's a relatively quick read and (IMO) a fascinating glimpse into concepts of law and punishment in the Early Modern HRE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm seeing separate amazon product results for the diary itself; should I be reading just TFE or both?
I'd say TFE since it contextualizes the content and my understanding is that the diary itself is not very enjoyable reading - not because of the subject matter but because Franz wasn't writing to entertain.