Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This is actually more interesting than I thought a game about an artist in an imperial German monastery would be. I'm very much looking forward to the next update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

idonotlikepeas posted:

This is, if anything, underselling St. Thomas Aquinas. He's probably the most influential thinker (certainly one of the most) in Catholicism, which, given the influence the church has had on the history of the world, probably makes him one of the most influential scholars, period. We actually just passed his feast day just a month ago - January 28th. His works are still required reading in the church in modern times.

I think these blurbs are written from an "in-story" perspective, that is from somebody who lived at the time of the game. At least that's the feeling I got. Because several other people were also undersold.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Viola the Mad posted:

Back up, back up, back up. You're one of the devs for Pentiment?

He is also one of the devs of Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2, and often commented in those games' threads.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

there are reasons for the assumption of food scarcity for this area and time period, but those reasons have either just started to happen or haven't happened yet. it has been pretty peaceful in Bavaria for the last fifty years or so, the farms are doing well, exciting innovations are burbling their way up from the Emperor's new holdings in Italy... the future currently looks like sunshine and roses! the old men grumble about how it's colder and it rains more than it used to back in their day, but name a time old men did not grumble about such things.

sure would be a shame if there was some kind of 'little ice age' starting that would kick off a cycle of crop failures, leading to political upheavals, leading to warfare, leading to burning down/looting villages like this one to try to starve out rivals' cities and keep the army in the field longer, leading to more food scarcity, leading to more political upheavals, ultimately resulting in most of the Holy Roman Empire burning to the ground in a war that stretched from Spain to Sweden. and with it, a continent-wide understanding of "german peasant" meaning "actively starving to death and eager to kill to avoid it." you know how the Pennsylvania Dutch are a thing? there is a reason there were an AWFUL FUCKIN' LOT of Germans trying to get out of the home country in the mid-1600s.

fortunately for Andreas' lunch plans, that's all a century in the future. back now, bavaria's fat, happy, and sees no particular reason to assume that's going to change any time soon.

Amazing post, both informative and witty. This helps giving the game more context. So it's not a huge imposition when Andreas invites himself to other's meals.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
That was pretty disheartening. The poor woman!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Great news! This is such a cool LP, and the subject is pretty unique. I'm really enjoying your writing.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Aragon. Isn't there a Habsburg king in Spain, as well as the Holy Roman Emperor also being a Habsburg? And I feel like going to an arch-catholic place can only help Andreas navigate abbey politics better.

Also, time skip! I'm really surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Happy new year, I'm excited for more adventures with older Andreas!