Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm just gonna shamelessly go with stuff I didn't go for in my playthrough, so:

Basel
Rapscallion
Imperial Law
Latinist
Logician

Oh, and let's be an rear end in a top hat to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
While someone mentioned anarchonisms above, it seems we've missed the ancient manuscript from the intro having a...

...flowchart?

Also, for a totally uninteresting tidbit: Saint Grobian's legacy lives on in at least parts of what used to be the HRE. In Czech, the word "grobián" means a rude person and while somewhat archaic, it stuck around for at least as long as my grandmother did.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 27, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Lucky and Otillia are worth investigating.

Anyhow, there's a nice collection of swearwords at the death scene - the two non-obvious ones on the screenshots are Czech (or adjacent -. "Do prdele!" literally means "to the rear end" and is probably our most generally used curse, used for everything from telling people off to resigned sighs; that being said, it shouldn't be part of a nun's vocabulary which might tell us a bit about Sister Zdena. "Co to sakra...?" is a fair bit tamer, almost literally "what the hell?", the last bit being an adapted version of Latin "sacra" - sacred things, so it's just a mild profanity.

e: Not sure now, did we talk about the "surnames" of characters yet? Although that would be definitely better left for someone with a much finer grasp of German.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the miller was a character who got absolutely zero compassion from Andreas during my playthrough. Well, him and the abbot.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Smokey and Vácslav.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I love Foucault's Pendulum. It takes some reader investment and attention but is well worth it in my opinion.

e: Regarding the Ethiopian church/history, that's a pretty common victim of general education still being based on a colonialist mindset. It's not even about Europe being the center of the world - that is very much the viewpoint, but at least here we got some basics on the histories of India, China, Japan... It's just the countries that ended up colonized by Europeans that get the shaft and only start appearing once a white man sets foot on them.

And that, of course, leads to propagation of a lot of stupid stereotypes about Africa that end up reinforcing racism.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Apr 10, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd more like to know what's up with that two heads on the arms of the cross. Especially the one with the D-pad for the nose.

The most obvious answer I can think of is that they're the two criminals who got crucified with Jesus, but they don't look very human. Maybe some kind of symbolic demons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

If you look carefully during the scene, you can see evidence of this being the case; there's no sharp tip - you cannot stab with it. Only cut.
That's actually historically accurate - the shape indicated it's a special sword for executing criminals and it was frequently used as a ceremonial symbol of justice.

Anyway, Aragon since it's one I didn't go with.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Oct 5, 2023