Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Samovar posted:

I agree re. Sebhat.

I know there was no love lost between the Catholic See and Eastern Orthodoxy, but I would have thought Sebhat would have been of the Ethiopian Orthodoxy - would a priest from such a different background be so welcome in a Benedictine monastery?

it's a little stretch to place an ethiopian orthodox monk in an alpine benedictine abbey. but it's not entirely implausible and honestly it feels like a bit of a rebuttal to the controversy about the game kingdom come which had a little controversy about how it simply "wasn't historic" to have melanistic people or people of african heritage kicking around europe in this time period. people got all over the mediterranean world of course and it benefits the game and its depiction of the time period a bunch by having a character like sebhat in the story. it's like hey, organized christianity existed in africa for a long time and african people weren't entirely rare in medieval/early modern europe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Samovar posted:

It isn't mentioned in the text of the game, but it's little wonder that the village gets flooded when it rains heavily - the aqueducts that would have diverted excess rainfall are destroyed, after all.

the aqueducts are not for stormwater drainage, but for bringing large volumes of fresh water to population centers

throughout history, most cities didn't deal much with drainage, and rural areas rarely did. the level of infrastructure necessary is difficult to organize and maintain beyond a basic reinforced ditch - much easier to simply avoid settling in floodplains and boggy ground if possible, letting water flow naturally downhill into wetlands and rivers. of course it wasn't always possible to avoid living on wet ground, and so even in cities up until fairly recently social distance was more important than spatial distance, meaning that wealthier and more privileged people would live relatively near to poorer or discriminated people, but on higher ground, for both better air and cooling as well as to not have to deal with stormwater runoff draining into your garden

consider also that before automobiles, there were a lot more animals around and so on, and sewers were rare compared to simple cesspits and pooping in holes in the ground... that water which flowed downhill was often rich and interesting, laden with content

since the romans were organized enough to built giant water pipes all over the landscape, they sometimes paired this with built sewers and drainage as well. rome was notable for having ancient sewers, and parts of the ancient sewer works are still in use! the former main outfall is called the cloaca maxima

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Lokapala posted:

I wonder how much an assumption of food scarcity is correct for this area and this time period.

As far as I know our modern ideas about European history often drastically overestimate food scarcity (at least for Middle Ages), so I'm leery of assuming "feed a guest a couple times a week" would be a burden for a stable farming community in 1500s. The Black Death's population reduction was barely a century ago, Europe isn't feeding enormous modern period armies yet, and having trouble with financial stability and taxes is a separate issue from "being able to eat well" for a farmer, so long as no one comes and forcibly takes your food stores away for repayment (which I suspect is less of a risk when there's no wars going on, and doubly so if your landlord is a monastery).

food scarcity is more of an acute thing, famine due to war or climate or severe economic fuckups or something. most of the time though if everything was working as it should, people were well fed enough

also something to keep in mind is that gift giving used to be a huge part of local communities. one of the easiest ways to express this is sharing meals. i've shared meals with you, so someday if i'm having trouble you'll share meals with me. or, we share meals with each other to deepen our trust in each other, which either of us can leverage in times of emergency. think of it like building real improvements on your farm, or real coins in your money sack, but instead its building real social credit among the most important people in your life, your neighbors. this is also why people would host feasts, community dinners, bbqs, etc.

of course people aren't exactly thinking about it in this way, folks are just being friendly and hospitable. one of the big strengths of human beings as animals is that we are wildly cooperative for complex creatures, like ants but we can build nukes. we have all kinds of behaviors around how to get along with other humans who we barely know or trust. there's a reason feeding and housing strangers is often held up as a virtue in many cultures across the world. but if you're cooking food and you aren't facing starvation then you probably have enough to share to feed randos, and in exchange you get some entertaining social contact as well as converting that food into basically community goodwill

Breadmaster posted:

I now want to find a spreadsheet of Saints' relics, and see how many of them have multiple arms and legs.

higher tier saints roll more times on the loot drop table