Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Be polite and friendly, but err on the side of being nice to Lorenz. Also, be nice to Piero whenever possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
whew that was tense. As it should be, given the time, but man… I’m glad I’m not Andreas. Even the pious and proper sort would have been under tons of pressure there, I bet.

EDIT/NOTE: Not a complaint! It’s really good historical writing, and we totally asked for it.

BassMug fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 13, 2023

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

resurgam40 posted:

But it does bear repeating, and students of this time period will be able to articulate why: this stuff? This stuff gets people killed.

Part of the tension I was expressing there, though, was that snubbing the local nobility could also get you killed, or have heaps of trouble visited on you and yours. Pious or actively needling the abbot like we were, you’re being squashed between two much more powerful people who can really screw you over. Heck, even declining the whole deal would still be snubbing a powerful person.

“The god you don’t touch won’t curse you,” but we were gonna have to touch one either way.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

Quorum posted:

This is one of those situations where the game tells you what's going on but doesn't fully explain the subtleties-- you have to infer the social dynamics from watching how others react combined with what you know. Here, everybody else involved is sensibly doing their level best to shut the gently caress up and bail on the conversation without pissing off the Baron, even people like Father Thomas who-- although not a landlord or a noble-- has a measure of status and power. Meanwhile our Andreas just yolos on in :allears: what a legend

Lokapala posted:

I'm fairly certain there was a lot less random and wanton peasant and/or burgher murder in history than some TV shows want us to believe.

Andreas is outside of direct control of either the abbot or the baron, but the abbot is his current employer, they are on the abbey's land, and the heresy thing will reach you wherever you go, if the abbot writes enough letters to the appropriate authorities (provided you're not a noble, or, ideally, a king). On the other hand, being precisely socially correct would be a source of reasonable protection even from your direct feudal lord: being boring and unnoticeable always was a good way to not get screwed over by the powerful, and moderately reasonable people, which the baron so far appears to be, would be at worst annoyed at the loss of engaging entertainment and move on.

Fair enough! I wasn’t complaining, we absolutely asked for it, and we got it (and might still get it, more!) This game’s writing kicks rear end.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Aw, there goes all our rear end-kissing. Oh well!

And lord, do the meals in this game look tasty. I should save pics of’em when we get to each!

Edit: Also, what Quackles said.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
RENEGADE INTERRUPT

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Man, I’m glad our Andreas is a relatively benign rapscallion. Some of these alternate dialogues are just cruel.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Andreas trying to tell a bedtime story is just :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
I like Grett! And since we like the Gertners, let’s maybe hang with them too if there’s time.