Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I'm really glad the awful eye of the internet didn't turn uli into a chris chan situation. people still got weirdly obsessive here and elsewhere but he didn't get many stalkers and freaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

I'm really glad the awful eye of the internet didn't turn uli into a chris chan situation. people still got weirdly obsessive here and elsewhere but he didn't get many stalkers and freaks.

I read somewhere that Chris Chan might be the most documented person in human history to this point.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

pentyne posted:

I read somewhere that Chris Chan might be the most documented person in human history to this point.

Hitler has a whole like three TV channels, but after that, probably. JenniCam must be jealous

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
JenniCam got married and her named changed to Jennifer Johnson so she's basically unfindable now.

quote:

ALEX: At the time Jenni stashed her webcams in her garage, Myspace was six months old. There was no Facebook, no Twitter, no Instagram, no Youtube. And now that they’re are, Jenni’s one of the few people who stays off of them completely. In fact, she’s almost absent from the internet. There are a few pictures of her floating around, and there’s a Wikipedia article about Jennicam, but the hundreds of thousands of images and journal entries she posted to her site, those are mostly gone. The Jenni of 2014 is basically ungooglable.

JENNIFER: My husband's last name is Johnson and Jennifer Johnson is practically better than Jane Doe. I never thought I would get married. I never thought I would get married. But when I did, I was super eager to take his last name. SUPER EAGER.

source: https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/8whoja

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

Splash Attack posted:

anyways this reminded me of how i discovered Roxanne through the Sandrah Saga LP, a modder for the Baldur's Gate games that was banned from both the official forums and pretty much all of the user-run modding forums for IE games when it came out she'd been using multiple alts pretending to be multiple people for years to praise her mods and argue with anyone that criticized it. Like how her character constantly managing to make every event in the game about her or the alterations to made to other mods without their author's permission - some of them even bundled into the megamod installer she made - or just how poorly written it was. After her bans she declared that she was going to open her own forum for her mods but then closed it last year due to Russia invading Ukraine or something.

She's on page one here as PaulaMigrate at first but later on in the thread she starts appearing on her other alts and starts talking to herself.

The mod itself is really notorious because of Roxanne hyping it as basically the one mod to end all mods for Baldur's Gate because of all the new content she added, so every few years someone will ask should I play the Sandrah Saga?

I remember reading that this woman almost single handedly killed the baldurs gate modding community. She was just that god-damned unpleasant.

She also wrote the Saerileth mod I think, which is just atrocious on every level. Morally, aesthetically, technically. Just utter garbage, but clearly hundreds of hours have gone into making it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

JenniCam got married and her named changed to Jennifer Johnson so she's basically unfindable now.

source: https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/8whoja

Omg that’s so lovely

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

OrthoTrot posted:

I remember reading that this woman almost single handedly killed the baldurs gate modding community. She was just that god-damned unpleasant.

She also wrote the Saerileth mod I think, which is just atrocious on every level. Morally, aesthetically, technically. Just utter garbage, but clearly hundreds of hours have gone into making it.

I don't know who the other one is, but there's another Big Name Baldur's Gate fan who was so notorious as well she was banned from almost every space.

Baldur's Gate is insanely popular relative to its age, and someone even found an easter egg for the first time last year that almost no one knew about.

edit: It's this person
https://lilura1.blogspot.com/2020/12/Baldurs-Gate-1-vs-Baldurs-Gate-2-BG1-vs-BG2.html

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

pentyne posted:

I don't know who the other one is, but there's another Big Name Baldur's Gate fan who was so notorious as well she was banned from almost every space.

Baldur's Gate is insanely popular relative to its age, and someone even found an easter egg for the first time last year that almost no one knew about.

https://lilura1.blogspot.com/2020/12/Baldurs-Gate-1-vs-Baldurs-Gate-2-BG1-vs-BG2.html

thats a serial killers manifesto lol

16-bit Butt-Head has a new favorite as of 23:20 on Mar 4, 2023

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

NoiseAnnoys posted:

really dumb early-to-mid 2000s vaguely remembered yahoo group drama ahead:

back when i was starting judo at university, i used to lurk at the yahoo martial arts group, which had the usual gaggle of "too deadly" traditional arts guys (including the heartbreakingly depressing stories of weird old dudes who trained in some bizarre made up traditional martial art and also were constantly falling for weird medical quackery), aggro roided up proto-mma guys, a few cops running boxing or judo clubs, and quite a few sad internet kids who wanted to learn ninjutsu so they could better cosplay as naruto.

mixed up there was a poster who went by the name of "froggie" claiming to be a former competitive judoka and retired cop who was running a dojo and active in the american judo scene (being a referee at local tournaments, training camps, prepping kids for the olympic team). at first, he would just post these big peeler-esque stories about helping wayward kids straighten their lives out via judo and training at his club, then he branched into claiming to know some of the big names in the US and Japanese judo competition, and then finally people started clocking that what he was recommending for training tips or strategy just wasn't.... feasible? physically? so, a bunch of people posted that they were at a tournament that he was supposed to be at and nobody had seen or met or heard of this guy.

So, what happens? froggie's supposed spouse gets on the board the very next day and says that he had passed away, heart attack, while driving to that very same tournament. people believed it, lots of heartfelt tributes, etc. people were even going to donate to help cover funeral costs or to keep the dojo running, could someone please let them know when the funeral was going to be, where was it going to be, etc? this goes on for about a week and then someone ELSE posts the expose that, of course, this was just all completely made up. people proceeded to lose their minds.

it was wild.

Bullshido.net is great for all of your "I'm a 200th level super-dan in Judo! I've just gotten recognized by the BJJ rankings as having obtained the rank of "Goku"" needs. It's also great because there are a number of "known" practitioners of the different martial arts (people that have proven that they know what they're doing, MMA fighters, etc.) on the site that are willing to go and take a class and see what's up when a bullshit teacher/dojo appears, so people can see the difference between "this guy could be legit with some teaching, he's just in WAY over his head" vs. "Lol, this guy thinks he can kill people with his mind."

See also: the Mythbusters Ninja Episodes.

We Got Us A Bread has a new favorite as of 23:56 on Mar 4, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

brutal doom causes some drama in the doom modding community to the point many modders go out of their way to have their levels break and refuse to work to keep from having to deal with its fanbase demanding they balance their levels around brutal doom

SgtMarkIV the creator of brutal doom has also been banned from every single doom forum for being a holocaust denying neo nazi sociopath that once gave someone having a mental breakdwon detailed instructions on how to kill themselves used real images of gore for brutal doom and stole work from other modders and wouldnt credit them until the drama became too much to ignore. he also had a meltdown and thought id was ripping him off when he saw glory kills for doom 2016 lol. just an awful person all around

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Speaking of insane modders,

Tessmage: Big modder for Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines, had probably the most widely used 'fix' mod that everyone worked off, then for some reason he added a bunch of changes like inflating the tits of the female characters and then started calling things Tessmage approved or Tessmage official and the community moved away from him

The Oblivion Gates guy, who was so notorious that Nexus Mods ended up changing their policies to avoid dealing with someone like him again.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

brutal doom causes some drama in the doom modding community to the point many modders go out of their way to have their levels break and refuse to work to keep from having to deal with its fanbase demanding they balance their levels around brutal doom

SgtMarkIV the creator of brutal doom has also been banned from every single doom forum for being a holocaust denying neo nazi sociopath that once gave someone having a mental breakdwon detailed instructions on how to kill themselves used real images of gore for brutal doom and stole work from other modders and wouldnt credit them until the drama became too much to ignore. he also had a meltdown and thought id was ripping him off when he saw glory kills for doom 2016 lol. just an awful person all around

pentyne posted:

Tessmage: Big modder for Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines, had probably the most widely used 'fix' mod that everyone worked off, then for some reason he added a bunch of changes like inflating the tits of the female characters and then started calling things Tessmage approved or Tessmage official and the community moved away from him

The Oblivion Gates guy, who was so notorious that Nexus Mods ended up changing their policies to avoid dealing with someone like him again.

I'd love to hear more about all of these; I knew folks who cared about those dramas, but participated in neither community significantly so I never really knew the depths.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Grassy Knowles posted:

I'd love to hear more about all of these; I knew folks who cared about those dramas, but participated in neither community significantly so I never really knew the depths.

I don’t know too much about the communities, but the forums seemed more dead than usual last time I went to grab new wads like last year unfortunately.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

OrthoTrot posted:

no, saerileth was by a different modder that predates roxanne. and while it’s bad, it’s never tried to basically rewrite the entire game.

pentyne posted:

yeah i found that person while looking for a updated guide during my BG replay. they claim to be a beautiful asian woman but i have my doubts lmao.

also they had a backer npc for pathfinder 2 but then demanded that she be taken out of the game because i guess they realized that their blog wouldn’t be the number one hit if anyone searched their character’s name

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

geez

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

pentyne posted:

It cannot be understated how wildly unpleasant this person was on the Beamdog forums

pentyne posted:

That's Arthmoor, and while this isn't specifically accurate (Nexus changed their policies because of dumbass IP trolling by other idiot authors) he was the single loudest voice decrying their new policy and was subsequently the one who was directly told "okay so don't upload your mods here." He proceeded to try to pull the single most popular skyrim mod off the Nexus as a result and the rest of the mod team told him to gently caress off and kicked him out.

GateGate is definitely a saga though.

Psycho Landlord has a new favorite as of 03:55 on Mar 6, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

The funniest modding drama I've ever seen was when Darkest Dungeon was in Early Access. At the time there was no official mod support, but there was nothing stopping you from editing data files and distributing them manually. Of course it was in Early Access and big updates would break mod compatibility every couple months, which was a huge pain to fix because there would be a bunch of new data so you couldn't just copy + paste over your old stuff because you would be missing new data entries. So there was mostly just one guy trying to seriously mod the game to make it more hardcore and more balanced. He got more and more irate every time they updated and eventually after one of the bigger EA updates he had a huge meltdown because the dev team refused his offers to "fix" the game for them and instead kept pushing updates that broke his unofficial mod. After he got banned from their website and Steam forums he would occasionally sneak back in to accuse the dev team and all their fans of being paid Hillary shills (yes, this was at the outset of the 2016 campaign season)

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

https://www.kernelmode.info/forum/viewtopic2ce7.html?f=16&t=3838

I really like this thread wherein a russian malware guy / forums moderator gets progessively angrier at security researchers for not understanding basic stuff until he makes one of my fave posts ever

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

selan dyin posted:

https://www.kernelmode.info/forum/viewtopic2ce7.html?f=16&t=3838

I really like this thread wherein a russian malware guy / forums moderator gets progessively angrier at security researchers for not understanding basic stuff until he makes one of my fave posts ever

Lmfao

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Security Imbecile is a pretty solid username

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

is project brutality a spinoff to get away from his psycho poo poo? I liked it alot but it was ofc impossible to balance with vanilla.

it actually made Back to Saturn X really fun though!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

https://web.archive.org/web/20080611230644/http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3880087

Guy lives in a gated community, gets his car booted because he forgot his parking tag or something like that. So, he jacks up his car and puts all four wheels on rolling dollies, and pushes his car into his garage - because the rules say he doesn't have to pay if the booted car is on his property (he was booted while parked on the street). He then calls Arizona Parking Solutions and tells them to come get their boots, the police get involved and take his side, hilarity ensues.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080611230644/http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3880087

Guy lives in a gated community, gets his car booted because he forgot his parking tag or something like that. So, he jacks up his car and puts all four wheels on rolling dollies, and pushes his car into his garage - because the rules say he doesn't have to pay if the booted car is on his property (he was booted while parked on the street). He then calls Arizona Parking Solutions and tells them to come get their boots, the police get involved and take his side, hilarity ensues.

I just came here to post this right now :argh:

It's a little niche, but still hilarious because an HOA's private security gets clowned on pretty hard.

A buddy of mine got booted when he was parked as a guest at a family member's resort house somewhere on a lake in Utah. He got really mad for a while, then just deflated his tire and pulled the boot off. The HOA security pulled up in a golf cart when he'd gotten everything back together and was on his way out with the family with the boot dumped on the curb. Told the security guy to call the police and left him fuming.

gently caress HOAs and gently caress their rentacops.

HenryJLittlefinger has a new favorite as of 00:28 on Mar 11, 2023

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

On the Facepunch forums there were different types of users, Blue (regular) and Gold (gold name on posts, larger avatar size, access to a special subforum etc.) At one point a dude was sending Garry (the Garrys Mod guy who ran the forum) so many PMs demanding he make the size restrictions for Blues the same as Golds that Garry got annoyed, banned the guy, and shrank Blue avatars sitewide by like 30%.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the Parrish Protocol...

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the Parrish Protocol...

Lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

DaysBefore posted:

On the Facepunch forums there were different types of users, Blue (regular) and Gold (gold name on posts, larger avatar size, access to a special subforum etc.) At one point a dude was sending Garry (the Garrys Mod guy who ran the forum) so many PMs demanding he make the size restrictions for Blues the same as Golds that Garry got annoyed, banned the guy, and shrank Blue avatars sitewide by like 30%.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the Parrish Protocol...

lol

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Dandywalken posted:

is project brutality a spinoff to get away from his psycho poo poo? I liked it alot but it was ofc impossible to balance with vanilla.

it actually made Back to Saturn X really fun though!

It started as an addon for Brutal Doom, but cut ties for the obvious reasons.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Poor Uli can't catch a break :( after all the progress over the last few years, he is moving back to his parents :(

https://www.patreon.com/posts/back-...ntent=join_link

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Harminoff posted:

Poor Uli can't catch a break :( after all the progress over the last few years, he is moving back to his parents :(

https://www.patreon.com/posts/back-...ntent=join_link

drat :( hope he's able to stay well

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Homegrown sagas gave a reminder of the Mike Matei drama, if anyone has a good writeup on that (without pictures)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Grassy Knowles posted:

Homegrown sagas gave a reminder of the Mike Matei drama, if anyone has a good writeup on that (without pictures)

people on reddit noticed that mike matei's pants and shorts would crinkle up and make it look like he had a giant cock and a lot of jokes were made about mikes 12 inch cock. eventually mike got in on it and started posting about it on all the social media accounts that cinemassacre the production company of one James Rolfe of AVGN fame . he would post about it on the website. on the tumblr. on the twitter. reddit. he would post and post about his dick and post memes about it at random until one day, for reasons no one is certain, mike posted his dick on the official cinemassacre twitter next to a ruler using camera angles to make it look 12 inches. the tweet was deleted and mike started banning people on reddit who mentioned the picture soon after.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

mike also got really drunk and streamed himself playing super mario then deleted the stream soon afterwards and started banning people for bringing it up

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

people on reddit noticed that mike matei's pants and shorts would crinkle up and make it look like he had a giant cock and a lot of jokes were made about mikes 12 inch cock. eventually mike got in on it and started posting about it on all the social media accounts that cinemassacre the production company of one James Rolfe of AVGN fame . he would post about it on the website. on the tumblr. on the twitter. reddit. he would post and post about his dick and post memes about it at random until one day, for reasons no one is certain, mike posted his dick on the official cinemassacre twitter next to a ruler using camera angles to make it look 12 inches. the tweet was deleted and mike started banning people on reddit who mentioned the picture soon after.

lmao

groverhog

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

mike also uploaded a video of himself playing minecraft with inspector gadget which he quickly deleted out of embarrassment and started banning people for bringing up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TZcW8wmmo4

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

this mike matei sounds like a contentious fellow

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Psycho Landlord posted:

this mike matei sounds like a contentious fellow

There isnt much contention ime

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Contention would imply someone likes him

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

mike rules and my favorite mike moment is when his girlfriend was recording a stream and you could hear mike screaming in rage in the background because he was playing castlevania in another room hes the ultimate gamer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

mike also got really drunk and streamed himself playing super mario then deleted the stream soon afterwards and started banning people for bringing it up

this sounds more like Lowtax