Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/democratic-republic-of-congo-lubumbashi-to-kinshasa.50799/

A 2010 thread by a Belgian couple who drove overland across Congo from Lubumbashi to Kinshasa. It's both a fascinating journey in a place with zero infrastructure and an infuriating read because these two are colonial as gently caress.

quote:

We came across a truck that was parked in the middle of the track. Luckily the surrounding area was pretty open, so we could pass it.

Us: "Bonjour, ca va?" - "Hi, how are you?"
- Them: "Ca va un peu bien " - "I am doing a little bit ok" -> typical Congelese answer this!

Us: "Votre vehicle est en panne?" - "Did you truck broke down?"
- Them: "Oui, mais ils vient avec des nouveaux pièces" - "Yes, but they are coming with spare parts"

So we chat a bit and we ask what their problem exactly was. They left Ilebo for Kananga with a load of building materials for a rich guy in Kananga. Their engine had completely seized. Their cargo was transferred onto another truck and they had taken the engine out and transported the engine to Kinshasa to get it rebuild. In the meantime the truck 'crew' stayed onsite to safeguard the truck. But they were very happy as they just received news that the necessary parts for the engine were now ordered in Germany, so the parts would come arrive in Kinshasa in a few weeks time!

A fascinating story, and they told it as if the was the most normal thing in the world. Fair enough. We said our goodbyes and asked them one more final question. How long had they been here?

"Un peu plus qu'un an maintenant" - "Just over a year"

quote:

We thought about our experiences of the previous day. As mentioned before we always had this nervousness/anxiousness when going to a new country. Usually it dissapeared within minutes when we were welcomed by friendly people in a friendly country. We had been in Congo for a week now. Of which we only spent 1 day on the road. But the nervousness was still there.

It seemed like so many Congolese tried their best to make us feel unwelcome. And the few friendly people we met made us feel totally out of place with their tragic stories. So many people expected that we would be able to help them. Could we stand it to keep dissapointing those people? We are just tourists passing trough.. it feels wrong.

Was it wrong to come to Congo? Would it be like this for the rest of our trip? We are already exhausted after a single day on the road. The corruption, the roads... where we taking too many risks now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Tweak posted:

was the FF7 house a forum saga somewhere or was it just something on like, tumblr

It was originally on livejournal I believe.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There's a coterie of people who insist on having wikipedia articles about medical issues contain the most graphic, unpleasant representative images possible. They cry about objectivity and censorship if you dare to suggest that maybe the page about a skin condition doesn't have a giant image of an infected dude's bellend prominently displayed. I can only assume they're all pervert fetishists of some variety.

The wikipedia page for Henoch Schonlein Purpura (an autoimmune condition which causes a really dramatic rash on the lower body and can cause kidney failure) has a picture of someone's butt in the main image and has for YEARS. There is no reason it HAS to have a picture of a butt. The rash is not butt specific. In fact, it's most dramatic and noticeable on the ankles. But nevertheless, there is a butt.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
JenniCam got married and her named changed to Jennifer Johnson so she's basically unfindable now.

quote:

ALEX: At the time Jenni stashed her webcams in her garage, Myspace was six months old. There was no Facebook, no Twitter, no Instagram, no Youtube. And now that they’re are, Jenni’s one of the few people who stays off of them completely. In fact, she’s almost absent from the internet. There are a few pictures of her floating around, and there’s a Wikipedia article about Jennicam, but the hundreds of thousands of images and journal entries she posted to her site, those are mostly gone. The Jenni of 2014 is basically ungooglable.

JENNIFER: My husband's last name is Johnson and Jennifer Johnson is practically better than Jane Doe. I never thought I would get married. I never thought I would get married. But when I did, I was super eager to take his last name. SUPER EAGER.

source: https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/8whoja