Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/aug/26/shock-an-aw-us-teenager-wrote-huge-slice-of-scots-wikipedia

if wiki's count then boy do I have a good one lmfao

“This is going to sound incredibly hyperbolic and hysterical,” wrote Ultach, “but I think this person has possibly done more damage to the Scots language than anyone else in history. They engaged in cultural vandalism on a hitherto unprecedented scale.”

The 19-year-old North Carolinian, who edits under the username AmaryllisGardner, responded on Wikipedia saying that he was “devastated” at the reaction “after years of my thinking I was doing good”.

He wrote: “I was only a 12-year-old kid when I started, and sometimes when you start something young, you can’t see that the habit you’ve developed is unhealthy and unhelpful as you get older.” He also called for other users to stop harassing him and his friends on social media.

According to Wikipedian MJL, another administrator on the site, AmaryllisGardner had created or edited 49% of all the articles on the Scots Wikipedia. “Speaking as an admin there, here’s what happened with Scots Wikipedia,” they tweeted after the story broke on Reddit. “Nobody cared about maintaining it. Someone stepped up because no one else did. That person was never given any guidance. Articles ended up being very poorly mistranslated.”

AmaryllisGardner’s edits showed a lack of understanding of the basics of the language: in one common error, he used “an aw” as a dictionary translation of the English word “also” when grammatically the phrase should be used more like “and all”. “I’m X, and I’m also Y,” can be translated as: “A’m X, an A’m Y an aw,” for instance. When the error was flagged in January this year, after seven years of editing the Scots Wikipedia, AmaryllisGardner said he had “never thought about that”.

In Wikipedia’s sometimes insular community, seniority matters a great deal. Purely by being an early, and prolific, editor of the Scots Wikipedia, AmaryllisGardener gained administrator rights, and the power to undo vandalism of the site, occasionally using that to overrule others who tried to fix his errors.

The revelation has led to some calling for the entire Scots Wikipedia to be deleted, arguing that its continued existence causes more harm than good. “It’s been suggested to me to nuke the whole thing and start over,” MJL said. Another proposal gaining support among Wikipedia’s broader community calls for every edit the user has made in the last seven years to be undone, even if that means deleting almost half of the encyclopaedia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

lol