Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

not sure it was exactly a forum, but there used to be a webcomic review site called something like "enter the dream" like 20 years ago. it was structured kind of like a forum with each topic being a webcomic and then the reviewers giving their takes underneath so i figure it counts

their review of Buttlord GT was amazing, sourpuss nerds with giant dragon avatars huffing that it was juvenile and sophomoric

also there was an actual vbulletin on atomictoy (run by andy helms of buttlord fame) that i used to lurk, they did weekly comic jams but i dont think any remains online :(

e: i used to have an account on a private forum called "mens' room in the fat trekkies building". no sagas there, but its a great forum name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Famethrowa posted:

my first forum experience was on the official Cyanide and Happiness forum, which not only stole the SA forum template and all of the emojis, but had it's own knockoff FYAD subforum complete with unique stylesheet that everyone hung out in.

discovering SA years later was a wild experience.

the first forum i was a regular on was joyrex.com for fans of aphex twin, late 90s. i was even a mod (lol) for a while but afaicr i mostly dealt with moving threads asking about misnamed songs (from napster or whatever) from general chat to the fakes identification subforum. i was big on customer support voice, "I think you will find that this exact question has been asked many times before, please direct further enquiries to the designated forum. For future reference, the song is called To Forgive, But Not Forget and was made by Outside. Despite the superficial similarity to Girl/Boy Song, it was not written by Aphex Twin, etc"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

NoiseAnnoys posted:

that wasn't the same john solomon webcomic review site was it?

maybe? they reviewed a bunch of comics that made the rounds in the mid 00s but that name doesnt ring a bell

e: after looking up john solomon: no it was a bunch of people, called like Ymir the Giant and Fiddlemore the Gnome or whatever, big avatars, and they wrote at length about the webcomics

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 21:57 on Feb 24, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oh man filename easter eggs were gold in the times before imagehosts

~sometimes we dont know what we've been missing until we realize its been lost~

fwiw i choose to believe op had that many retard pngs

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i heard he got assassinated in gaul

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Grassy Knowles posted:

Not exactly A forum saga, but I do want to know about the final days of the Tim Allen Idea Exchange

https://mobile.twitter.com/coolgarydotnet/status/506550045622415360

https://web.archive.org/web/20180725072347/http://ideaexchange.timallen.com/ looks like the last archive.org crawl of the functioning page.

oh wow

the greatest thread in the history of the tim allen forums

left for dead after 9 pages of posts but a hundred thousand people came to see it over the years. respect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Back when I was on usenet (I was a bit of a latecomer, so say 1996 or so), I posted for a while on various nerd newsgroups but there was this guy. Any post at all on any topic in any group would set him off to post his weird screeds about Clinton and mohammedans (ie muslims) and vaguely scientific references, always super long posts in classic schizo format, weird racist esoterica. Very exhausting. So he was a known crank in the parlance of the times and basically any danish FAQ said you should set up your newsreader to killfile that dude cause he shits up every thread

years later, i was walking through copenhagen and come across a house with a whole bunch of very random posters out front, very much like the insane bumperplate cars ive seen in america. turns out that was where the guy lived. I later heard he died, and I am fairly sure I read an obituary in a newspaper at some point, so maybe he was known elsewhere as well? it was a kind of lovely house on a decently expensive lot, i assume he must have inherited it and just shitposted every day

anyway at that point in time it was probably less than 1000 people total in all the danish groups, 90% greybeards who killfiled him years ago, so he was just posting into the void except for randoms who showed up. he would have loved twitter lol

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 00:13 on Mar 4, 2023