Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Welcome to the 28th season of Major League Soccer

(kinda hard to bury the lede on this one)

In a little over 24 hours NYCFC and Nashville will kick a ball in anger at GEODIS Park to officially start the 2023 MLS season, which means one thing: somehow the league managed to not go bankrupt for yet another year, bucking tradition from other American soccer leagues. Not only is the league solvent, but it also managed to swindle negotiate a new streaming deal with Apple that will see the latter pay at least $250M/yr for 10 years...yeah, I can't believe it either. This deal resets the the broadcast strategy entirely: MLS Season Pass on AppleTV+ will have every game (in English, Spanish and French if a Canadian team is involved) with no blackouts worldwide, with a subset of those being free for AppleTV+ members (like all of this opening weekend) and weekly selection of free-as-in-beer games (supposedly). Some games throughout the year will be simulcast on FOX/FOX Sports while commercial viewing will be through DirecTV for Business in the US and the major telcos in Canada. This does mean all regional broadcast deals in the US are gone. Sucks for some markets, but on the whole it's probably a net positive that RSN deals are going away (see: Bally Sports' impending bankruptcy).

One positive from the new deal: kickoff times are more or less standardized to be Saturdays and Wednesdays at 7:30PM local, so no more wondering just when the hell is soccer happening.

One negative: the playoff format is changing yet a-goddamn-gain to expand the field and add a single best-of-3 round to add even more games for Apple to air. Ugh.

We've also got new stuff outside of the Apple deal. The 28th season will see the addition of the 29th team, The St. Louis Generic Names (which would be a better name than what they actually went with, prove me wrong). With their addition we have 15 teams in the East and 14 in the West, keeping the 34 game unbalanced-as-hell regular season setup leading to the aforementioned terrible playoffs.

And hey, let's cram some more games into this sonofabitch. During the August international window MLS and LigaMX will pause their regular seasons to compete in the revamped Leagues Cup, consisting of a 3 team group stage leading to a 32 team knockout bracket, with the two finalists earning CCL berths (with the winner going straight to the round of 16). A team could conceivably play 50+ games this calendar year between the 34 game regular season, playoffs, CCL, US Open Cup/Canadian Championship and Leagues Cup...fun.

Quick recap of the past year:

• LAFC won both the Supporter's Shield and MLS Cup (Dear Philly: loving MARK GARETH BALE YOU ASSHOLES)
  • Orlando City won the US Open Cup, spoiling Sacramento Republic's USL Cinderella story (but the MLS teams they beat along the way did provide some hilarity)
  • Seattle became the first MLS team to win the current iteration of the CONCACAF Champions League...and the first team to win the CCL and not make the playoffs in the same year due to everyone getting injured during/just after the CCL final. :smith: And they only got to play one game at the Club World Cup, losing 1-0 on a deflected goal. :smith::smith:
  • LAFC (SS Winner)/Philly (other conference winner)/Orlando (USOC)/Austin (next best MLS team since LAFC won MLS Cup)/Vancouver (Canadian Championship winner) will be MLS' representatives in the '23 CCL
  • Somehow we did not hit the bottom of the barrel regarding how lovely Portland's front office was last year, finally forcing Merritt Paulson's hands to fire two of the shitheads responsible and sell off the Thorns but he did not sell the Timbers or do anything about the biggest shithead involved (himself).
  • The Canadian teams finally got to play all their home games in Canada again :unsmith:
  • Cincy not only didn't earn a 4th straight Wooden Spoon, they actually made the playoffs and *won* a game :monocle:.
  • Shot, chaser.
  • Coaching vacancies seemed to be a game of musical chairs much more than usual. Luchi Gonzalez went from Dallas to San Jose. Ben Olsen ended his brief coaching sabbatical after leaving DC to go to Houston. Wilfried Nancy went from Montreal to Columbus. Hernan Losada went from DC to Montreal. And the New Orleans Jazz moved to Utah, where they don't allow music.
  • We got rid of one archaic roster mechanism from a bygone era, but the other eleventy are still in place.
  • The Galaxy were busted for violating roster rules...and the president responsible still got a contract extension, leading to open revolt from the fanbase that should be really fun to watch this season.

And with all of that out of the way, there's only one thing left to say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV0UGXYwQh0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
I have tickets to the opening Austin match tomorrow. Should be fun as usual.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How do you actually watch the free games now? You go to appletv.com or mlssoccer.com or what?

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How do you actually watch the free games now? You go to appletv.com or mlssoccer.com or what?

I think its tv.apple.com

Edit: or an apple tv app. for MLB you had to create an account (not get a sub) to see the games they broadcast. probably the same here

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Streamable has a list of what games will be free-free on AppleTV during the first 3 weeks.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Still no way to hide scores on either the tv.apple.com website or in the actual OSX Apple TV application.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Gonna freeze my rear end off at Minnesota’s home opener next weekend, hell yeah

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

538's opening odds to make fun of later this year

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

and we're off!

https://twitter.com/ManuelVeth/status/1629199281851879424

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
two weather cancellations week 1 then

like I know I shouldn't be SURPRISED, it's February in North America and this is why we play spring to fall to begin with, but it still feels surprising

shame though, was legit looking forward to the LA game

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

At this rate the rate the only thing stopping him playing for every team is the league adding more teams faster than he move to:

https://twitter.com/tombogert/status/1629198533919223808

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
God help me, I submitted a video game tifo idea to my local SG.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Gonna freeze my rear end off at Minnesota’s home opener next weekend, hell yeah

Me too! We got season tickets this year. I might have to show up in my ice fishing overalls.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Hekk posted:

Me too! We got season tickets this year. I might have to show up in my ice fishing overalls.

I still got a bunch of heavy-duty warming gear from the USA-Honduras game that we hosted last February, when it was so cold that people's beers were literally turning into slushies as they held them.

Also, my partner just reminded me the home opener is actually two weekends away which bummed me out :(

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I have no idea what the gently caress the Red Bulls are going to be this year. Very possibly bad. Hopefully good!

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
The pitch at the Rose Bowl is apparently completely underwater.

It's a dog poo poo stadium so I'm not surprised but drat I was looking forward to the match.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Looking forward to a million sick headers from this kid.
https://twitter.com/tombogert/status/1629197156694298624?s=46&t=5gZOszCoBcvVshSLUVm9Tg

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Zisky posted:

The pitch at the Rose Bowl is apparently completely underwater.

It's a dog poo poo stadium so I'm not surprised but drat I was looking forward to the match.

Hey, that’s the Grandaddy of them all to you, bub <:mad:>

I guess it’s only natural for Portland’s snowpocalypse to cause a delay for the home opener, but it still might look like Hoth by kickoff.

As one of those rare things (an MLS fan living outside the US) I feel like I’m finally freed, plus the coverage starting from 7:30 pm ET means MLS Sunday mornings for me. Watched a bit today, no complaints so far.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

As someone who used to switch between 5 different streams at once on the old mls live service looking for cool moments in games, I gotta say I love MLS 360.

My only complaint is that there are too many ad breaks, but other than that I love it. Having a broadcast that immediately switches over to a game as soon as a goal is scored or something else noteworthy happens helps to bring into focus how much exciting stuff happens across an MLS match day.

For example I think they had the late match goals from DC United to win 3–2 against Toronto immediately followed by Thiago Almada’s two stoppage time bangers to win it for Atlanta. That was then followed a bit later by that poor Austin center back doing the worst back pass in MLS history to give a goal to St Louis.

And to top it all off the picture quality is light years better than anything that ESPN or Fox Sports produced when they were the broadcasters.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

threeagainstfour posted:

As someone who used to switch between 5 different streams at once on the old mls live service looking for cool moments in games, I gotta say I love MLS 360.

My only complaint is that there are too many ad breaks, but other than that I love it. Having a broadcast that immediately switches over to a game as soon as a goal is scored or something else noteworthy happens helps to bring into focus how much exciting stuff happens across an MLS match day.

For example I think they had the late match goals from DC United to win 3–2 against Toronto immediately followed by Thiago Almada’s two stoppage time bangers to win it for Atlanta. That was then followed a bit later by that poor Austin center back doing the worst back pass in MLS history to give a goal to St Louis.

And to top it all off the picture quality is light years better than anything that ESPN or Fox Sports produced when they were the broadcasters.

I agree, way too many ad breaks. I know the hosts need breaks so they can rest for a bit during the broadcast, but they should just do more cuts to live games, which is what I expected them to do instead of commercials.

The video quality was great, and made the games look like an actual professional league.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Does it only show games live or does a subscription include access to replays of games? Now that I'm a dirty furriner 7:30 kickoffs are a bit late, but if I could wake up the next morning and pop on last night's game I may sign on.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

JohnCompany posted:

Does it only show games live or does a subscription include access to replays of games? Now that I'm a dirty furriner 7:30 kickoffs are a bit late, but if I could wake up the next morning and pop on last night's game I may sign on.

There are replays for all the matches except MLS 360, which is their whiparound show. However Apple has spoilers on by default which shows the score on the replay link. I believe you need an Apple device to turn off spoilers for your account. There are no options at the moment to turn off spoilers on browsers or Android.

Also MLS/Apple has said that they plan to have some matches for free, just need to sign in with your Apple ID. The first week had all the matches free.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
You can hide scores on Roku devices too

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

psyer posted:

There are no options at the moment to turn off spoilers on browsers or Android.

This and the fact that you can't watch multiple streams simultaneously via browser is completely and utterly baffling for a sports streaming service in TYOOL 2023.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

You can’t watch full replays on the Roku app either. I have use Airplay from my MacBook or phone to get more than recaps for matches that have already ended.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Looks like we'll have our first Disciplinary Committee suspension of the season shortly:

https://twitter.com/jimwilkie/status/1630066011067289600

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

hah loving quakes. lew wolff out.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

I am so done with the Lalas Aboubakar Experience.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Until Apple gets their poo poo together, you can hide the scores in the browser with a bit of CSS and a plugin.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

whypick1 posted:

Until Apple gets their poo poo together, you can hide the scores in the browser with a bit of CSS and a plugin.

loving hell thank you. Even with the scores blocked on Roku, it still shows them in the main headline. And then yesterday I spent like a solid 15 minutes trying to figure out where the gently caress the TFC-Atlanta game was, because it wasn't one of the headline games and I could only find the highlights, and then it turns it it's buried at the bottom of the page in a completely non-obvious header, which I still need to scroll past all the key goal highlights of the game to get to. Whoever designed this app either doesn't watch/understand sports, actively hates people who do, or both.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

This stuff is really infuriating because there's no excuse of this being their first foray into streaming sports since they started airing Friday Night Baseball last year. It seems like they learned not a goddamn thing from that.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

whypick1 posted:

This stuff is really infuriating because there's no excuse of this being their first foray into streaming sports since they started airing Friday Night Baseball last year. It seems like they learned not a goddamn thing from that.

I mean for all the faults with Apple streaming, it's light years ahead of having to subscribe to ESPN+ but stream it through the Hulu app to avoid local blackouts. I am not even sure I had access to past matches on there.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

We now have a schedule (minus kickoff times) for Leagues Cup.

Refresher on how it works

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Heber is hurt and the Sounders are going to suck again now.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

binge crotching posted:

Heber is hurt and the Sounders are going to suck again now.

we've all seen this movie before, you aren't fooling anyone

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

we've all seen this movie before, you aren't fooling anyone

it must be literally the first page of the mls thread, and no further

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I know it's probably not the end of the world, but jesus there have been so many injuries the last couple of years. At least Morris looks good after coming back from his most recent injury, we'll see how Ruidiaz looks this weekend.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Minnesota United home opener is at 7:30pm tomorrow! Let's check in and see what the weather will be like...

loving Minnesota bullshit.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

i love how technically correct the "leagues" cup is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Hekk posted:

Minnesota United home opener is at 7:30pm tomorrow! Let's check in and see what the weather will be like...

loving Minnesota bullshit.

And there are people who unironically think we should have an August-May calendar.

Poonior Toilett posted:

i love how technically correct the "leagues" cup is

Don't worry, the winner will still be called "World Champion"