Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.

whypick1 posted:

Axing your head coach two and a half weeks after your season ended is an odd choice, but you do you Charlotte.

Is that odd? That seems like an incredibly normal time to make a change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Yeah, like maybe getting blown out by NYRB is what sealed the deal so they could have canned him immediately then, but the offseason is three months long? Anything before the playoffs end seems perfectly normal for "you didn't get fired midseason but actually, no, we don't want you around next year"

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I just figured this sort of firing would've happened just after the season ended to maximize the amount of time to find a replacement. On the other hand, doing it this late prevented them from being able to hire Phil Neville, so it was good for the team to wait.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

lol Miami lost their meaningless game

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
NYRB fired Hamlett and Lesesne. I’m surprised at the latter, he did a solid job in his interim stint, players seemed to like him too. I bet he lands another HC gig somewhere else.

Will be interesting to see if anyone with any name recognition is brought in from both a player and coaching standpoint.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

“name recognition” is… not always ideal

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the escape goat posted:

“name recognition” is… not always ideal

Imagine saying this to a Red Bulls fan

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

So a team near me just joined MLS Next Pro

I know the other teams in that league are affiliated with MLS franchises but the announcement said they're 'independent'. Do they just stay that way or is it assumed they will affiliate?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The idea was that there would be a mix of affiliated and non-affiliated teams in the league...but only 1 non-affiliated team was there at launch and it lasted just 1 season (:rip: Rochester Rhinos)

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

whypick1 posted:

The idea was that there would be a mix of affiliated and non-affiliated teams in the league...but only 1 non-affiliated team was there at launch and it lasted just 1 season (:rip: Rochester Rhinos)

Maybe it's different in soccer but I'd assume you'd have to have some level of support from a 'higher' club.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
https://x.com/RyanTClarke/status/1724607622492700858?s=20

MLS should have gotten MP out by now. This is just sad. Even Dan Snyder wasn’t this toxic to the brand

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I live in the area and I have never heard of this company before.

I say this in the most damning with faint praise way possible: congrats on not choosing an MLM or crypto company as a sponsor.

Pershing posted:

Maybe it's different in soccer but I'd assume you'd have to have some level of support from a 'higher' club.

Not really? Ignoring the rest of the soccer world because that brings up pro-rel, and that's :can: x1000, there's an entire 2nd division that havs no affiliation with an MLS team bar one (Loudon United with DC United) and that exception is only because they're legally required to play in the 2nd division as part of their stadium contract.

Now you can certainly argue the USL-C isn't the most stable of leagues (4 teams folded in the past 3 years, which is much closer to Arena Football League than National Football League, on top of the mass exodus of MLS-affiliated clubs to MLSNP), but it certainly doesn't seem like it's going to shut down tomorrow.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm just happy Austin's shirt sponsor makes actual, tactile things you can buy in a store.

now watch us get sponsored by the platform f/k/a Twitter

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nybble posted:

MLS should have gotten MP out by now. This is just sad. Even Dan Snyder wasn’t this toxic to the brand

Let me quote from the article

quote:

DaBella’s annual revenue is estimated at $39.2 million by Zippia. Alaska Airlines’ reported revenue for 2022 was $9.6 billion.

The smallest known kit sponsorship in MLS is the Philadelphia Union’s deal with Bimbo Bakeries, which pays the Union approximately $2.2 million per year. Bimbo’s annual revenue is estimated at $750 million.

loving woof that’s a downgrade. That’s all we could get? Seriously? I don’t even care if it’s a cent more than Alaska Airlines or a cent less, it’s about the profile of the deal.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

They can't be paying more than a couple thousand for it with that kind of income, right? Either that or they are about to go bankrupt after spending all their cash reserves on a sponsorship to try and drum up business.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Nybble posted:

I’m from here and have never heard of them. just asked my boyfriend, also from here, and he’s just as baffled.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

binge crotching posted:

They can't be paying more than a couple thousand for it with that kind of income, right? Either that or they are about to go bankrupt after spending all their cash reserves on a sponsorship to try and drum up business.

It reminds me of the original Washington Spirit owner who had the logistics company he owned on the shirt forever. Which makes a some sense in your first year of a startup women’s league with a team salary cap lower than some computer toucher’s salary.

But for a team like the Timbers? In a league like MLS with Apple paying billions to air and promote it? There wasn’t anyone? MP is broke broke.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Nybble posted:

It reminds me of the original Washington Spirit owner who had the logistics company he owned on the shirt forever. Which makes a some sense in your first year of a startup women’s league with a team salary cap lower than some computer toucher’s salary.

But for a team like the Timbers? In a league like MLS with Apple paying billions to air and promote it? There wasn’t anyone? MP is broke broke.

Yeah, there may be blood in the water and, hopefully, the TA smells it.

A boycott may get it over the line.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

My favorite club? Portland MagicJack, of course.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Has the Timbers Army ever collectively stopped going to games?

Galaxy supporters groups did it this season and it was the thing that finally got rid of our fail club president Chris Klein, who had just received another multi-year extension despite a near decade of failing.

As long as fans are showing up and buying tickets, merch, and concessions with the kind of consistency it would appear the TA are doing I imagine ownership will be perfectly happy letting them hang whatever banners or sing whatever chants they want.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

threeagainstfour posted:

Galaxy supporters groups did it this season and it was the thing that finally got rid of our fail club president Chris Klein, who had just received another multi-year extension despite a near decade of failing.

As long as fans are showing up and buying tickets, merch, and concessions with the kind of consistency it would appear the TA are doing I imagine ownership will be perfectly happy letting them hang whatever banners or sing whatever chants they want.

the TA doesn’t have the teeth it used to; a lot of the folks who built it up have stepped back and now it’s a bunch of casuals who throw fits if they don’t get the “game day experience” they saw on TV and don’t really get the point of how or why it began in the first place. the North End still fills up mostly because that’s where people feel comfortable to get blind drunk and rowdy without folks in reserved seats telling them to gently caress off.

…it’s also a lot harder to get a group of a few thousand people to boycott than it is to do with a SG that’s way smaller (no offense meant; old school TA members viewed the Galaxy protest with great respect and are glad they pulled it off)

I was on a waiting list for TA season tickets for seven years but the combo of adding a few thousand new seats and the FO drama has led to there being no waiting list and ticket reps begging people to renew. I don’t think there’s been a match with sold out tickets since the ‘21 final yet before the stadium expansion sellouts happened drat near every match since they joined MLS.

that said, the front office absolutely yanks any sign showing any hint of protest against the league or FO.

the escape goat fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 15, 2023

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Chris Armas is Colardo's new head coach because Rapids fans can't have nice things.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

threeagainstfour posted:

I can only speak anecdotally, but myself and everyone else I used to go to matches with have canceled their season tickets within the last two years and I'm only aware of one couple that still goes with any regularity.

Personally, I've only been to a handful of games and haven't purchased any concessions or non-TA merch since the Paul Riley news broke, but I don't know if that attitude is widespread enough to move the needle at all.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Chris Armas is Colardo's new head coach because Rapids fans can't have nice things.

i can barely think of someone i would less rather see my team hire

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

G-Hawk posted:

i can barely think of someone i would less rather see my team hire

https://x.com/TheNutmegNews/status/1725562215141646856?s=20

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I have no idea who is behind the content on that website, but they are so drat good

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
people have lost they drat minds

https://twitter.com/upstate_trash/status/1726999681279143997?s=46&t=Jl91I_6B7i5oyOtlhhpf1w

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

whypick1 posted:

:smith: :smithicide: :suicide:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

RIP Philly

Blew beat chance ever be a used of a washed Gareth loving Bale

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Year-end award winners:

MVP: Luciano Acosta (CIN)
Coach: Pat Noonan (CIN)
Keeper: Roman Bürki (STL)
Defender: Matt Miazga (CIN)
Young Player: Thaigo Alamda (ATL)
Newcomer: Giorgos Giakoumakis (ATL)
Comeback: Alan Pulido (SKC)
Golden Boot: Dénis Bouanga (LAF) [20g, 7a]
Goal: Luciano Acosta (CIN) vs. Charlotte, Sept 23
Save: Roman Celentano (CIN) vs. Columbus, May 20
Ref: Victor Rivas
Assistant Ref: Ian McKay (taking a break from music I guess :v:)

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

whypick1 posted:

Year-end award winners:

MVP: Luciano Acosta (CIN)

Goal: Luciano Acosta (CIN) vs. Charlotte, Sept 23

After everything he's been through with DC and then Cincy (while being clearly an awesome player every step of the way), I'm pretty sure nobody in the history of organized sport has deserved a championship more than Lucho.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I love that tiny, tiny man. I've seen him play a dozen or so games on broadcast and I always assumed the camera made him look smaller. That is 100% not the case and if anything he looks smaller live.

Just a tiny little football dude running around stunting on everybody. Talking mad poo poo at the officials while staring directly into their belly button.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

He found his level

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Players Union statement on the Miazga discipline is pretty wild.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
c'mon you can't say something like that without posting it

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's 100% transparently a screwjob.

People are talking like FCC has known for days but they had miazga practice with the starters yesterday.

This same organization is advocating for the ability to time players out for 10 minute intervals with the exact same level of oversight (zero) they've been shown to have here. It's a transgression for them to be able to suspend a player like this. Saturday could go down as the biggest game in FCC's history for another 20 years and they're going to be missing their second best player on a clear hit job perpetrated by the same organization who gets to judge the game.

And then insult to injury the president of the referees Union goes out of their way to threaten the current head coach of the year for complaining about it. Mob poo poo.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
same energy

https://twitter.com/tombogert/status/1730316564690276752?s=46&t=Jl91I_6B7i5oyOtlhhpf1w

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

It's 100% transparently a screwjob.

lol come on

Nobody disputes he was in the ref locker room and he shouldn't have been there, if the refs' statements about aggressive tone or whatnot had been taken at face value the suspension would have been worse.

see, for example, my team's coach getting five games literally today for making a joke in a press conference about who would have been the prime suspect if the ref had been found in the river.

there's no conspiracy, Miazga is just a dumbass. Great defender (by MLS standards anyway), still a dumbass

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 30, 2023

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
^^^^
There's an athletic article with quotes from both Red bulls and FCC personnel saying everything that happened was totally routine. The refs union openly lied about several aspects of the investigation while the investigation was ongoing and one of the three parties that got to witness the evidence is also saying that the refs union is lying.

My frame of reference for a professional sports league is the NFL. I thought that a certain degree of bad behavior had become normalized for me. This is wild.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

Dallan Invictus posted:

c'mon you can't say something like that without posting it

Well, they're straight up saying PRO is lying. Which... frankly I doubt. There's probably just an exaggeration somewhere.

So if he went after the refs once the game was over, which nobody seems to dispute, gently caress him. Throw the book at him. I'm tired of fines and then nothing happens.

Remember back when they started sending people off for mass confrontations of the ref? It actually fixed a lot of the problem. It seems to have (mostly) left the player culture.